Stroller for a 7 and 9 year old?

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
We have been going for over 10 years now and have plenty of time to observe. One observation that I see at the end of the day waiting for transportation, is that we see significantly more families with kids(toddlers) that do not have a stroller dealing with melt downs, then the families with a stroller. To the families that take a lot of breaks, that's great, but I rather be walking towards my next destination at the same time my DD is taking a break.

The last time anyone in my family used a stroller at WDW was for my almost 7 year old niece. It was either put her in a stroller, or realize she would be left behind and lost at some point. The girl had one speed--snail. And when you are on a 4 day trip, and the next youngest child is 12 years old, that doesn't work too well. At one point I was walking with my niece, and we were under Spaceship Earth and the rest of the family was already over the hill. Walking normal speed.

My niece just wanted to be able to look around and take it all in. I couldn't blame her for that! So when given the choice between speeding up or getting in a stroller, she chose the stroller.

I brought one for my kids to share for the last time when they were about 6 and 8 I think. We NEEDED it badly! One day my DD was burning up with a fever all of a sudden, so she rested and fell asleep in it at DHS. Turned out she had strep throat (we were at the Dolphin, so it was great to stroll her onto the boat and back to the room while she slept, and then we called the doctors that come to your room so she got tested and put on antibiotics right away).

Of course then DS ended up with an ear infection (called same doctors - they were so wonderful!). He rode once, but she rode a few times. She gets worn out easily.

We also rented one at Disney for one day when she was about 9, too. She was so tired, she fell sound asleep in it for a while.

I am also getting a stroller for my 4 and 7 year old.
I know what my kids can handle and this is really going to be the only time we can afford to go.
If is makes our trip better by renting one and it's not going to hurt anyone else by doing so, I think it is worth it.

By day 6 of rope-dropping to staying almost until closing, one of my 9 year old twins was asking if we could get a stroller. My kids are all athletic and healthy, but that was a lot of walking. Her feet hurt- even though we made sure everyone was wearing only tried and true, comfy, running shoes, and she was tired. We ended up not getting one, but had she been very uncomfortable we would have considered it.

Everyone should decide what's best for their family, and if it's different than what others prefer for their family, then they shouldn't be judgmental about it.
See the difference there, though? This wasn't planned weeks or months in advance with part of the reason being to carry stuff.
maxiesmom said:
A child has to expend twice as much energy then, to get as far as the adult. Is that more accurate?
Yup :thumbsup2

We will be taking stroller in April. We took one last year and I had DD 4 sit in it when we went from land to land. With all the crowds and how some people just walk right into you a child can get separated very easily. DS 7 only sat in it at end of day when leaving park and DD sat on his lap. 2 reasons he was tired and for fear of him not getting lost in crowds at park closing. Its what works best for us.

Our last trip my kids were 7, 9 and 12. They didn't need a stroller...but I did!

My kids each had a bag to carry their crap, aka water, ipod/iPhone, sunglasses and hat if they weren't wearing it.

Dh and I also had a bag. Dh carried my 7 yos water mist of the time because she was 7 and well she was 7!

No one got tired from walking or complained but we do take a mid day break and nap from the summer sun.

A few trips ago, I saw a mom with a stroller and 2 older boys. Only her stroller was the kind you attach a car seat to. There was no seat in the stroller just a basket and she kept her bags in there. I said I was going to do that when we were stroller less but I forgot.

I was looking prior to that trip for a water bottle holder/strap across body for my younger 2 but never found one that I fully liked, there was one but some reviews said it stretched.

so rolling luggage (or anykind, actually) and wagons are not allowed at WDW but it is ok to use a stroller just to carry your "stuff"?:confused3

everytime a thread comes up about the appropriate age limit for stroller use, the subject of using it as a "bag/jacket/ extra stuff" carrier comes up. this is just am attempt the thwart the rules, IMO. we all have to make the choice whether to travel light of wear a backpack, etc.

there are enough strollers in the parks to dodge as it is (from people using them for a legitimate reason, ie. children too young or small to walk all day)l.

what if the kids are 10 and 12? can someone rent a stroller to carry all their extra stuff around?
so next trip can hubby and I rent a stroller to push around our extra "stuff" even if we don't have kids with us? :rotfl:

We have a 7 yo and 4 yo and I fully intend to use some type of stroller. They just give out! And, I've found we can move a lot faster in the park with them riding then whining!

so rolling luggage (or anykind, actually) and wagons are not allowed at WDW but it is ok to use a stroller just to carry your "stuff"?:confused3

everytime a thread comes up about the appropriate age limit for stroller use, the subject of using it as a "bag/jacket/ extra stuff" carrier comes up. this is just am attempt the thwart the rules, IMO. we all have to make the choice whether to travel light of wear a backpack, etc.

there are enough strollers in the parks to dodge as it is (from people using them for a legitimate reason, ie. children too young or small to walk all day)l.

so next trip can hubby and I rent a stroller to push around our extra "stuff" even if we don't have kids with us? what if the kids are 10 and 12? can someone rent a stroller to carry all their extra stuff around?
so next trip can hubby and I rent a stroller to push around our extra "stuff" even if we don't have kids with us? :rotfl:

Yes, you can rent a stroller to haul all of your stuff, even if you don't have kids. Wagons and rolling coolers/luggage are not permitted because they are pulled BEHIND you. You cannot pull something behind you because you cannot see if it is going to hit/trip someone.

Yes, you can rent a stroller to haul all of your stuff, even if you don't have kids. Wagons and rolling coolers/luggage are not permitted because they are pulled BEHIND you. You cannot pull something behind you because you cannot see if it is going to hit/trip someone.

I was being facetious. ;) I wouldn't do that, and neither should anyone else. that is not the purpose of a stroller...

I was being facetious. ;) I wouldn't do that, and neither should anyone else. that is not the purpose of a stroller...

I am always entertained by those who are so black and white about 'the rules' .... Obviously you would not have been a fan of the woman who made a 'table' out of an old stroller for food and wine last year... But many others raved about it !!!

I am always entertained by those who are so black and white about 'the rules' .... Obviously you would not have been a fan of the woman who made a 'table' out of an old stroller for food and wine last year... But many others raved about it !!!

it's not so much about "the rules" as it is about consideration of others.
finding a unique way to make a table for food and wine is ingenious. and actually helpful to others as there will be less people crowding around one little table. and she's obviously just using it for that , at epcot, not tooling around all day every day at all the parks with it.

just saying that the proliferation of strollers makes for a more crowded park.harder to maneuver, more things to look out for, not bumnp into.. more things to bump into you (and yes, strollers bump into us often.)

and I have grandchildren and when they come they use strollers, too.

I'm just saying that there are enough strollers there for legitimate reasons, . then people start taking a stroller for their older kids just to have something to lug the stuff around.

use backpacks or bring less stuff. JMHO. it is my OPINION (not a "rule") that people shouldn't take/rent a stroller just to carry their stuff around.. IMO, that is inconsiderate.

Do you know how hard it can be to maneuver a stroller in big crowds? Do you really want to deal with that? I would be exhausted from pushing a kid that big in a stroller- two would probably kill me. My DS is 9 and is a big kid at 90lbs. I can't imagine pushing him in a stroller. His feet would drag the ground!

THIS. We have had three Disney trips in the last year and a half (with DS at 18 months, 22 months, and 34 months), all with strollers, and I cannot WAIT until we can go without. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be our next trip, as DS will only just be turning 4 on that one. But I will say that I think we're going to try short stints in the parks without the stroller, and just play it by ear based on what he can handle. Transportation to and from the parks is just a pain with a stroller - even on the monorail where you can just push the stroller right on - and not having to lug it around will be extremely liberating!

I say do what works best for your family. My kids will be 4 and 10 months on our next trip. Of course, we will need a stroller for the 10 mo. old, but I'm bringing a double for the 4 year old too even though many would argue she doesn't need it.

I plan to stick my kids in a stroller as long as they will let me and they fit. Not because they can't walk. My 4 year old will probably do a lot of walking on our next trip. I will put them in the stroller as long as I can due to the insane crowds after night shows. I like knowing they are right there in front of me when we are navigating those crowds out of the parks at night.

On our trip last week we rented a stroller for my just turned 5 year old. We didn't think my 7 (turned 8 a few days ago) son would need anything plus he is exceptionally tall for his age.
Initially my 5 year old refused to sit in it, but by the end of day one he was happy to catch a ride. There were also several times my older son wanted to sit in it and take a break - including when his shoes gave him a nasty blister (luckily we had a different pair at the room, but it was helpful until we got back).
Our next trip the kids will likely be 6 and 9. While I don't think we'd need a stroller, having one just in case might be nice. Not sure what we'll do but we also tend to plan longer trips. Ideally I'd like to not worry about it. Who knows! But I am glad I had one for my 5 and 7yo this trip - they did use it a fair amount :)

The first time we went, my DD's were 3 and 6. We got a double (mostly because of things I read on here scaring me about how the 6 year old would never make it with all the walking!).

The 6 year old barely rode.

Next time when DDs were 4, and 7 we only rented a single and did until my younger DD was 6. She has gross motor delays, and tires much faster than other children her age. However, even with those delays, on the trip when she was 6 years old, she mostly walked, but did rest a bit. She was embarrassed about the stroller, and we did get a few weird looks (this was in DL California). Also, when posting pictures when we got home, all of our friends were asking why she was in a stroller! Maybe it is a Canadian thing, but people were really surprised.

When we went when younger DD was 7, we didn't bring a stroller and were a bit worried but she was fine. Keep in mind, this is a 7 year old who didn't walk until she was 18 months old, and has always been behind her peers in gross motor skills.

This trip again we won't bring a stroller.

For a normal (or even slightly delayed with gross motor skills) 7 year old. No. You do not need a stroller. We went during summer too when it was hot! A healthy 9 year old is ridiculous.

And heck no, I would not want to push that!

If you think you might use it, get it and ignore the overly opinionated bunch on this board. Trust me, this is the only place anyone is going to act appalled.

It's your vacation. Do what you think is best. If you get it, you don't have to use it. I pushed a 50 lb child around and it was fine. Not heavy at all.

This will be our first wdw trip without a stroller - our kids are 9, 9, and 6. Last trip in Oct 2011, they were 3, 6, 6 and we took a double stroller that had a sit and stand feature. It was a life saver in the park at that time.

We have gone to Disneyland many times without a stroller in the interim and the walking for 2-4 days has been fine.

If you think you might use it, get it and ignore the overly opinionated bunch on this board. Trust me, this is the only place anyone is going to act appalled.

It's your vacation. Do what you think is best. If you get it, you don't have to use it. I pushed a 50 lb child around and it was fine. Not heavy at all.

well, ya know, she DID ask for opinions. so people responded with opinions.

Is it crazy to rent a stroller for a 7 and 9 year old? We are going to DW for 1 week at the end of Feb and I am trying to decide. I like the idea of having a place to store stuff and not have to carry stuff all the time. Won't need it all the time but for eating on the go and at night I think it would be nice. Thoughts? Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter