Stroller for a 7 and 9 year old?

Disneyfeb15

Earning My Ears
Is it crazy to rent a stroller for a 7 and 9 year old? We are going to DW for 1 week at the end of Feb and I am trying to decide. I like the idea of having a place to store stuff and not have to carry stuff all the time. Won't need it all the time but for eating on the go and at night I think it would be nice. Thoughts? Thank you.

Unless your children have mobility issues, I'd say that's unnecessary. The last time we got strollers for our kids, they were 3 and 5. But, to each their own.

Ditto ^ unless there is some sort of physical or emotional disability involved it is completely unnecessary. We went last February with our 7 and 9 year olds and at no point in time did I wish I had a stroller (quite the opposite!). Most of the time dh and I were tired before they were, and I like to think I'm in pretty decent shape

Having just finished my first multi-day trip without a stroller after nearly five years of trips with it, I have to say there were times I missed it, mostly for the storage, convenience, etc., but my 6yo definitely did not need it! The one thing I had to learn was to carry less into the parks... we no longer need multiple changes of clothes, hoodies (even in January... if you're really that cold either a) go back to the resort or b) buy one!), or our refillable mugs. I did, however, find it freeing not to have to park it, look for it, walk out of my way to leave it or go back and fetch it as it's not always convenient to park!
Ergo, I would say at 7 and 9 your children definitely do not need a stroller!

I think it depends on your kids, and how much time you plan on spending in the parks. If you have one that is a bit of a pokey walker, than a stroller could be a huge help just getting around the park. Or if you plan on staying in the parks all day, a stroller might be helpful at night when one child or both ends up worn out.

You know your family best. I'm not one to draw a line in the sand and state that any child over X years of age shouldn't use a stroller. Kids are all different, and families tour the parks in different manners. Do what works for your family.

I'd say no stroller. Our children are 7 and 8 (9 when we go in June), the last time my kids rode in a stroller was Disney 3 1/2 years ago. I found the stroller to be a hassle then. It is not even a consideration now. I figure we may have to take a few more breaks, but not dealing with a stroller and having kids as tired as us will be worth going a little slower. Otherwise, we'll be tired and they'll be rested and up all night.

I also agree no to stroller. Remember, there are lockers in each park.

At that age, I think a stroller would be more hassle than help, IMO. To help avoid carrying too much stuff, be sure to use things like package pick up or rental a locker for the things you might need.

I'm going with a 5 year old in April, and we have no plans to rent a stroller. BUT we are planning to make sure our days aren't too long, planning to make sure our touring plans involve some sitting activities, will likely rent a locker so we don't have to carry the "just might need" items, planning to not push her walking speed too much, AND, as soon as we get out of the really cold weather, planning frequent fun walks this spring to make sure everyone has had some basic training before we go! We also plan to be flexible, if meltdowns are starting due to exhaustion, the plans may need to change for more downtime!

I'm going with a 5 year old and 8 year old in March. We will have a double stroller. I like to go early and stay late. A stroller cuts down on whining.

Definitely no stroller (unless medically necessary, of course). We had to get a stroller for my (then) 7 year old when he pulled his groin muscle. He woke up on our last park day unable to walk. This was a recurrence of an earlier injury, so we knew he did not need medical attention, and he wanted to hit up MK. We got a single stroller for him, and in addition to being too tall to fit comfortably, he was MORTIFIED to be in a stroller. We only lasted about 2 hours in the park because he was just miserable, and not from any pain, just from the stroller. Looking back, a wheelchair would have been a better option.

While there is a lot of walking to be done, there are also multiple opportunities for sitting. Lots of shows in every park, so spread them out through the day and you can rest everyone's legs for a bit.

Have a great trip!

Depends on how much they weigh, how strong you are, and how much time you want to spend in stroller parking/stuck in crowds with stroller, etc.

Took my 4 and 5 (almost 6) year old in March 2014 and did not use a stroller. They were awesome. That being said, I can't remember the last time either rode in a stroller anyways.

I piggy-backed my 4 year old a few times if we were moving fast, but otherwise, if the kids were tired, we took a break.

Going back this October, kids will be 5, 7, and we will also have a 6 month old. For this trip, we will take our Ergo baby carrier, and a small Chicco stroller. Hoping to get away without using the stroller much.

So, my opinion is....skip the stroller. If they don't usually use one regularly, then it shouldn't be a huge deal.

Our last trip my kids were 7, 9 and 12. They didn't need a stroller...but I did!

My kids each had a bag to carry their crap, aka water, ipod/iPhone, sunglasses and hat if they weren't wearing it.

Dh and I also had a bag. Dh carried my 7 yos water mist of the time because she was 7 and well she was 7!

No one got tired from walking or complained but we do take a mid day break and nap from the summer sun.

A few trips ago, I saw a mom with a stroller and 2 older boys. Only her stroller was the kind you attach a car seat to. There was no seat in the stroller just a basket and she kept her bags in there. I said I was going to do that when we were stroller less but I forgot.

I was looking prior to that trip for a water bottle holder/strap across body for my younger 2 but never found one that I fully liked, there was one but some reviews said it stretched.

We are going in Oct. With a 5 year old and a 6 month old. We are planning on bringing our single stroller and the baby carrier. This way if DD5 needs a break, I can just hold the baby in the carrier. I have thought about renting a double stroller and although it would probably be useful, I think we can get away with just the single. Of course my thinking could change over the next 200+ days.

Is it crazy to rent a stroller for a 7 and 9 year old? We are going to DW for 1 week at the end of Feb and I am trying to decide. I like the idea of having a place to store stuff and not have to carry stuff all the time. Won't need it all the time but for eating on the go and at night I think it would be nice. Thoughts? Thank you.

Yes, per your question - I think it is!! If they haven't been in strollers for 4-5 years respectively, do you think they'd even consider being in a baby stroller while they see others their ages walking around? :confused3

I teach 8/9 year olds. There's no way in heck (unless there is a medical reason) that they would even WANT to be in a stroller. They would be mortified. Kids that age do start to care what others think.

I have a 7 and a 9 year old (both boys). I don't think there's any way I could persuade them to get into a stroller - they would be too embarrassed. Even my 5 year old daughter wouldn't ride in one, I think. We stopped stroller use with our kids when they turned 3.

I was looking prior to that trip for a water bottle holder/strap across body for my younger 2 but never found one that I fully liked, there was one but some reviews said it stretched.

We purchased water bottle straps in Epcot several years ago and they have held up perfectly - still look like new! They still had them the last time we were there - can't comment if they are the same quality, but they look the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter