Strategies for not loosing kids

Rubygoose

Everybody's got a laughing place
This will be our third trip to Disneyland. The last 2 were in the off season and we used a double stroller. This time it will be July and we no longer have a double stroller. Kids will be 3.5 and turning 6. Both are pretty good at staying close to parents and holding hands, but I think the potential of them getting separated from us and lost is always there. Anyone have any tried and true strategies for keeping little ones from getting lost? I'm thinking of having them carry a family picture with contact info on it just in case. My kids don't look anything like me (I'm half Chinese, and look obviously asian, whereas they are 1/4 Chinese, but have blue eyes!) so I think if someone found my 3 year old and was looking for his mom, they wouldn't know to look for me!

Teach them what to do if they are separated from you. Look for a CM or a mom with kids and ask for help. Don't leave the area you were last together. Know your phone number, or make a little bracelet with your number on it. We take a photo on our phone every morning so we have an accurate description of what they are wearing.

Check out SafetyTats. They are temporary tattoos that you can put on your child's arm with your cell phone number. Also, teach your children how to look for a CM if you get separated (nametag, etc.) The photo taken each morning that another poster mentioned is a great idea too.

I've seen kids wearing bracelets that had names and phone numbers on them incase they get lost. Wont keep kids from getting lost, but may help find them.

We used dog tags made at the pet store with our cell # on their shoes the last trip. I've also made bottle cap necklaces - all the supplies are readily available at craft stores. It makes the kids feel safe and prepared even if my kids are not prone to wander either. We also discussed finding a mama with kids and point out safe people and let them know to stay put.

One thing to remember about the phone numbers. If a mom, family finds them they can call you on their cell BUT CMs can't. In fact I'm not sure if they can even call an outside line from city hall, etc. I know this was true at WDW a couple of years ago. SO don't stand there and wait for a call. Send someone to the "lost parents" location while another stays with a cm in the land they were last seen in.

One thing to remember about the phone numbers. If a mom, family finds them they can call you on their cell BUT CMs can't. In fact I'm not sure if they can even call an outside line from city hall, etc. I know this was true at WDW a couple of years ago. SO don't stand there and wait for a call. Send someone to the "lost parents" location while another stays with a cm in the land they were last seen in.

Oh no! I hadn't thought of that. We were planning to sharpie our phone numbers on our kids inner forearms or upper arms (under their sleeves) or something. Should we maybe just tell them to find a mom with kids them and ask them to call the number? Sigh... (hoping not to lose anyone, of course, but the 2.5-year-old is not the best listener, if you can imagine...)

You know the hug a tree program for being outdoors? Well the idea behind it is kids can wander far quickly- and that theory holds true anywhere. Tell them to move no more than 3 or 4 steps out of the walk way and JUST SIT. Mom or dad will find you- you don't wander to find us. This works in stores too...and it goes well with the whole ID on body, tell them not to be afraid to talk to CM's (show them several different styles of outfits, look for the name tag etc.)

Is this true currently at DLR? Anyone here with a friend or family CM that can clarify? This seems completely insane to me. There is, without a doubt, SOME way to make outside phone calls and when the issue is a lost child it seems totally crazy that a CM wouldn't find a way to use the most obvious solution if the child has a phone number on them.

We always write our cell on their arm with a sharpie or other pen as mentioned above.

I think the best thing you can do is teach them what to do if they DO get lost. Our kids are great at staying close too but sometimes it still happens. My daughter was 4-1/2 when she got separated from us at a VERY busy event in downtown Vancouver. I thought my MIL had her, my MIL thought I had her. Very common mistake. Well, my daughter did exactly what we told her. Find someone who works there and if you can't, find a mom with kids and tell them you are lost. She walked until she found an employee. She said a man came up to her and asked if she was lost but she ignored him. I'm sure he was completely fine and just noticed her look of fear but he wasn't on the "acceptable" list. I was so proud of her. We found her within 5 minutes, standing with an employee who was helping her look for us.

In other words, sometimes it doesn't matter what measures you take, you can still lose them. Best thing to do is to teach them safety skills on what to do if it happens and encourage them that you will find them if it does. Find a CM, DON'T leave the park with anyone no matter what, etc. Also, familiarize yourself with where to go yourself if it does happen.

I bet it happens 100 times a day there if you think about it. Crazy!

Always take pic of the kids at the start of the, just in case, that way you have the exact clothes they are wearing. We always have them study what mom and dad are wearing so they can describe the colors, sometimes little ones only know their parents as Mom or Dad. I also put their Grandparents phone number on them just in case we dont hear our phones in the chaos.

They do have a spot that they take lost children.

My youngest has ADHD (ie is VERY spontanious) she is also very tiny, when we went to DL last time she was just turning 5, but was just under 30 lbs -she was always getting lost LOL, we taught her to go to the nearest cast member (they are everywhere, and very noticable) we also made a huge point of showing her to them. We also coached her on what to say, that she was lost, and that they would help her with the rest. We worked hard on keeping her close though, especially during things that had groups, parades, anytime there was a moving group ie opening, closing ect -where you are in a moving crowd....We never did loose her!
I also carried her in a sling at the end of the day (she was tiny) and for periods of time during the day when she was tired to give her a rest, so she would not get left behind if you know what I mean?
I took a picture of her with my camera first thing each morning as well, did not own a cell phone.

I think the best thing is to teach your kids to find a CM and you need to find a CM as soon as you realize they are lost. The CM will direct/take you to the "lost parents" center and when a CM has a child who has lost their parents, they will radio as they take the kids to the center. Then you know as soon as they have been found because they will tell you that the CM has radioed in and they will meet you at the center in just a few minutes. With this system, there really isn't a need for phones or writing phone numbers on your kid with a sharpie and there is always a set place where you will end up re-united with the child.

Also note, the CM that finds the child will stay with the child until they are delivered to the Child Center. They will also stay in the area where the child was found for 10-15 mins looking for parents. They will usually call for a lead who will supervise. It is actually very interesting to see just how far they take looking before taking a child to the Lost Parent's center.

We write our phone numbers on the kids' upper arms. We threaten to do it to my mom also....

Also, teach your child the number WITH the area code. We've had children come up to us with their number, but no area code....

Always take pic of the kids at the start of the, just in case, that way you have the exact clothes they are wearing. We always have them study what mom and dad are wearing so they can describe the colors, sometimes little ones only know their parents as Mom or Dad. I also put their Grandparents phone number on them just in case we dont hear our phones in the chaos.

They do have a spot that they take lost children.

That's a great idea to have grandparent's phone number. Since our cell phones are from Canada,if someone tried to contact us, it would probably just go to voice mail.

I've seen families with matching clothes. I don't know if DH would like this idea, but it would be easy for the kids to find us if we all match.

1. Though unpopular with some folks, you can consider a "leash" for your youngest. Sometimes peace of mind is worth the judgey looks from strangers.

2. Each parent is tasked with a child each day so you only have one to look after and can rely on your partner to look after the other. Easier to watch one than look for 2.

3. Like pps said, teach you kids what to do if they get lost. This is a reason I have picked up some pins and a couple of lanyards because I figured I can teach them to identify a CM much more easily if they are always looking for one to trade with! Make sure they have your cell phone numbers (safety tats, necklace, bracelet, sharpie) and where to show them to someone. I think the picture idea (family picture) is a great idea and I'd try to have one that shows you as you would look in the parks (i.e. a more relaxed family pic).

Also note, the CM that finds the child will stay with the child until they are delivered to the Child Center. They will also stay in the area where the child was found for 10-15 mins looking for parents. They will usually call for a lead who will supervise. It is actually very interesting to see just how far they take looking before taking a child to the Lost Parent's center.

We write our phone numbers on the kids' upper arms. We threaten to do it to my mom also....

Also, teach your child the number WITH the area code. We've had children come up to us with their number, but no area code....

I saw some CM's dealing with a lost little boy once near Soaring. I think he was probably 2 or 3 years old. He wouldn't talk to the woman, so she brought him over to a male CM, hoping he would talk to him. I'm not sure what happened after that. Great ideas from everyone about teaching your kids to go up to a CM and say "I'm lost." I think I'll probably try to get my kids to remember to tell the CM what ride we were just on or where we ate. Maybe they should memorize the hotel name and room number? When people ask DD where she's from, she doesn't say Canada, she always tells them our street address! So I think she could remember a hotel room number pretty easily. I wonder if that would be useful? We have a hard last name to pronounce/spell, so it might be hard for the kids to get that info over to a CM.

We have worn matching colors like red shirts and it does help a lot. For the child in my group that cannot find a cast member and say she is lost I assign myself solely to her and this has worked well. Glow necklaces at night are good too.

When we went, we used the Safety Tats and set up a Google Voice number. We attached all of our cell phone numbers to the Google number so if the number was called all of our cell phones would ring. Not only would it help insure someone answered the phone, but also would alert everyone in our party that there was a problem since we often split up.

When we went, we used the Safety Tats and set up a Google Voice number. We attached all of our cell phone numbers to the Google number so if the number was called all of our cell phones would ring. Not only would it help insure someone answered the phone, but also would alert everyone in our party that there was a problem since we often split up.

Never heard of a "google voice number". I'm going to look into that. That's a great tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter