Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be at WDW 9/1-9/6, our options for HS were Tues 9/3, Thurs 9/5 and Fri 9/6. Assuming they don’t change the typical HS magic hours (Sunday mornings) which I know is a REALLY big assumption, I am guessing Thur would be the “best” day to hit HS. Reasoning being Tuesday is closer to opening date, has late MH at Epcot so some may do HS for most of day and then hit EPCOT in the evening, and With Monday being a holiday that makes more chance that people extended their trip into Tues. As for Friday I would think it would just naturally be busier. Any reason to think Thur would not be the best day?

I had Sept. 2-7 booked due to the original forecast for low crowds. Following along while I debate strategy/rescheduling.
I've gone over 4 or 5 possible scenarios.

I am in the same boat for 2nd week of Sept, and would love to hear your scenarios thus far. I went hoping for a quiet, slow solo trip. While would be kind of a cool addition, I really, really was not looking for wall-to-wall Xmas crowds.

I am in the same boat for 2nd week of Sept, and would love to hear your scenarios thus far. I went hoping for a quiet, slow solo trip. While would be kind of a cool addition, I really, really was not looking for wall-to-wall Xmas crowds.
I would love to hear them too.

Also someone said not having fastpass would of course speed up the Standby line. I would agree this is true.

There is little doubt HS will reach capacity the first week(s). It didn't "help" after the announcement that there was still a 30% off room deal going till end of Sept. I sift through the make a reservation site now and there is pretty much nothing left(Deluxe wise) those remaining days of the deal. A perfect storm if you will.

We booked OKW for September 5-11, back when they were offering the "free" DDP, and got an absolute steal on a deluxe studio + package. The whole idea was to visit and enjoy the last relatively "quiet days" before SW:GE opens, and now, this bomb drops today! It's crazy. Just for fun, I also took a look around to see what rooms and deals are still available for that week and yep, they're all gone; just rack rates at the Deluxes. We had even considered upgrading to YC but since checking just a few days ago, the price jumped almost $900!

I panicked a little this afternoon, thought about cancelling even, but may as well just lean into the excitement and go with it. Nobody could have predicted SW:GE would open by the first week of September, so what can ya do?

I would love to hear them too.

Also someone said not having fastpass would of course speed up the Standby line. I would agree this is true.
While it does increase the Standby capacity line it won't make the ride have more capacity so on average the wait times will be the same. People won't be pushed through the FastPass line but dumped into Standby thus increasing the number of people in that line so offsetting the increased capacity. IMO the reason for the dropping of the FastPass for the rides is so when the land gets to capacity they won't have to worry about the logistical nightmare of allowing those in with FastPasses. It also allows Disney to better manage/close the standby line in the evening.

It's also more now everyone has equal access to the ride with similar wait times. No one will feel like others got the advantage somehow.

While it does increase the Standby capacity line it won't make the ride have more capacity so on average the wait times will be the same. People won't be pushed through the FastPass line but dumped into Standby thus increasing the number of people in that line so offsetting the increased capacity. IMO the reason for the dropping of the FastPass for the rides is so when the land gets to capacity they won't have to worry about the logistical nightmare of allowing those in with FastPasses. It also allows Disney to better manage/close the standby line in the evening.

It's also more now everyone has equal access to the ride with similar wait times. No one will feel like others got the advantage somehow.

I absolutely agree with this!!

Scenario 1. HS will be extra busy through the entire park, but if I do my FP+s correctly I’ll be okay, and spend the rest of the time in other parks.
Scenario 2. All Parks will be packed because a)those who had already booked will avoid HS at all costs b) those who see how busy HS will overflow into the others
Scenario 3. People already booked during opening will back out, and the crowd going for SWGE opening will be contained to the land itself.

Star Wars fans are a unique audience, so not sure where they would rank on interest in other Disney attractions.

Scenario 2 would lead me to rebook entirely. I'm going to watch touring plans and make a decision. I can manage high crowds in all parks with FP+, rope drop, EMH, etc. BUT I'm going with my boyfriend who does not even come close to matching my love of Disney so I really wanted a leisurely trip (by Disney standards) that would keep him happy too. It's our first trip there together, so I would be afraid to scar him for any future trips.

I've made reservations for 1.5 weeks earlier in case it comes to that.

We have 10 nights in late September going into October, honestly didn’t expect that SWGE would be open on that trip!!!

Makes planning quite a bit different now, so glad I grabbed the extra nights in a BWI Deluxe when I did.:thumbsup2

I seriously thought the December or February trip would be when we got to see SWGE open.....:confused3

I'm in the "hoping to have missed it " boat- Our trip is Sept 3-13th and of course made ADRs and pre- planned trip prior to announcement. Concerned about getting into HS for our evening plans ( Fantasmic and another night in the park ). Hopefully since we have ADRs and are staying onsite, we will be able to get in even if they are at capacity. Hoping this will give us a little easier access to Toy Story Land as well. Was really looking forward to low overall crowds for the beginning of Sept so, it will be interesting to see what impact this has on predicted crowd levels. I'm hoping that maybe with Star Wars opening earlier than anticipated that perhaps the gondolas will be up and running too.

We have had a trip planned in mid October as usual. i was expecting this would be well before SWGE opens. Guess that was wrong. Not sure I'm happy about it, but nothing to do about it.
How is smugglers run going to work? No FP, so only stand by? RD is going to have a whole new meaning of crowded.
how early do you think you will have to be in line for RD at HS now?
At least now, FPs to SDD may become easy to get.

We have had a trip planned in mid October as usual. i was expecting this would be well before SWGE opens. Guess that was wrong. Not sure I'm happy about it, but nothing to do about it.
How is smugglers run going to work? No FP, so only stand by? RD is going to have a whole new meaning of crowded.
how early do you think you will have to be in line for RD at HS now?
At least now, FPs to SDD may become easy to get.

I've herd this twice now, that FPs will be eaisier, how so? There are no FP for star wars, so i assume the extra crowds will book FP also? If anything i would imagine less availability. Some might not show up as there stuck in line, but i still dont see the FPs easier to get. There will be more people to fill the spots.

I’m just laughing at this point. Booked free dining arriving at DW 8/27. We wanted to miss opening and have low crowds. Didn’t use our DVC for this trip so only bus transportation as we are at Pop. DH is going to love this since he hates crowds. Haha oh well I’m in Disney!!! Need to get the kids refreshed on Star Wars movies. Can’t wait!!!

I’m just laughing at this point. Booked free dining arriving at DW 8/27. We wanted to miss opening and have low crowds. Didn’t use our DVC for this trip so only bus transportation as we are at Pop. DH is going to love this since he hates crowds. Haha oh well I’m in Disney!!! Need to get the kids refreshed on Star Wars movies. Can’t wait!!!
You'll have Skyliner access, too. :)

whoo hoo! Heading to WDW Dec 8-14. They should have things well working by the time we get there and I can't stinkin' wait! I expect RotR to be 6 months behind the opening so not until Feb-Mar 2020. Might have to plan a Spring Break trip for Spring Break 2020.

I booked my bi annual Disney double header last August, hoping to do DL, but, not at WDW, but, to my shock it will open at both parks this trip. Millennium Falcon won't be a FP:guilty: and it looks like the Rise of The Resistance may not be open, so goodness knows what that queues will be likefor MF. May give it a miss this time around, as a solo guest I'm not sure I can deal with a 3 hour plus line with no one to hold my place in a potty emergency.

Put me in the category of going Labor Day week for free dining and low crowds with my family of 6 who have almost no interest in Star Wars.

I love the movies myself but I'd take low crowds over seeing SWGE. I'm really disappointed right now. We considered moving back 2 weeks into August but then that messes up all the ADRs we just booked. Ahhhhhhhhhh

This is surely going to cause crowds to be up inside every park in WDW. Thousands of people are going to be booking their vacations around this opening and they aren't going to spend their whole trip in Hollywood Studios.

Never in a million years did I think I'd be disappointed that I'd get to see the most anticipated addition to my favorite vacation spot right after it opens. But here we are....

I've herd this twice now, that FPs will be eaisier, how so? There are no FP for star wars, so i assume the extra crowds will book FP also? If anything i would imagine less availability. Some might not show up as there stuck in line, but i still dont see the FPs easier to get. There will be more people to fill the spots.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter