Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does WDW ever do general public previews or soft openings of new rides prior to the published opening date? We will be at WDW 8/19 - 8/27, 8/26 being our planned day for HS.

whoo hoo! Heading to WDW Dec 8-14. They should have things well working by the time we get there and I can't stinkin' wait! I expect RotR to be 6 months behind the opening so not until Feb-Mar 2020. Might have to plan a Spring Break trip for Spring Break 2020.
Disney website says RotR will open “later this year“ so Feb-Mar 2020 is unlikely.

Shall we all just wait until the Dis have another big anniversary and wait till John books the whole land and throws an awesome party. There must be another milestone to celebrate soon :)

Does WDW ever do general public previews or soft openings of new rides prior to the published opening date? We will be at WDW 8/19 - 8/27, 8/26 being our planned day for HS.

Yes, but there is really no way to game this, IMHO. We just happened to be in MK before the opening date of 7DMT and, lo and behold, when we got into Fantasyland a line had formed because they were doing a soft opening. It was unannounced and the CM's didn't even know when it would start running or, if it did run, for how long. We did get to ride it, but, it was absolute luck of being in the right place at the right time.

I love the movies myself but I'd take low crowds over seeing SWGE. I'm really disappointed right now. We considered moving back 2 weeks into August but then that messes up all the ADRs we just booked.

I'm in the same boat with Labor Day week, I was able to shift my ADR schedule.. All the dining I had originally planned was also available 2 weeks earlier including BoG (breakfast and dinner), and Cali Grill during fireworks.

I did notice far fewer slots, but they are there. Just something to consider!

Avatarland did a soft open the day before official opening. You just never know.

Is it confirmed that the skyliner will be open at this time?

It is not confirmed. It also says Fall of 2019.

I am starting to think the original idea was to open SW land all at once so that would have been Fall by all guesses. But maybe getting the land facilities and Falcon up and running first shifted that way of thinking to sooner with just RotR remaining closed.

How early can you arrive at a park before it opens to line up for rope drop

When Star Wars Weekends were going on people would start to lineup outside the gates either right after closing or start to trickle in at 2-3am with camping chairs for autograph line-ups. I have a feeling this will be the case the night of the 28th for sure.

why is this not blowing up? did no one hear the August 29th announcement??!

Yes, but there is really no way to game this, IMHO. We just happened to be in MK before the opening date of 7DMT and, lo and behold, when we got into Fantasyland a line had formed because they were doing a soft opening. It was unannounced and the CM's didn't even know when it would start running or, if it did run, for how long. We did get to ride it, but, it was absolute luck of being in the right place at the right time.

Agreed. I rode Everest on a soft opening but we went back to AK a few days later on the same trip and it was not open that day. My husband didn't get to ride that trip but I did.

They do but don’t expect it. It’s all random and depends on what they can/need to do.

Will be at WDW 9/1-9/6, our options for HS were Tues 9/3, Thurs 9/5 and Fri 9/6. Assuming they don’t change the typical HS magic hours (Sunday mornings) which I know is a REALLY big assumption, I am guessing Thur would be the “best” day to hit HS. Reasoning being Tuesday is closer to opening date, has late MH at Epcot so some may do HS for most of day and then hit EPCOT in the evening, and With Monday being a holiday that makes more chance that people extended their trip into Tues. As for Friday I would think it would just naturally be busier. Any reason to think Thur would not be the best day?

When we did a couples trip last August (sans kids, wooo!), I believe (and I could be remembering wrong) that HS had EMH every day (or most days) either morning or evening after the opening of TSL. I have to think extra EMH would likely be added for the opening of SWGE, especially that close to opening.

I'm in the "hoping to have missed it " boat- Our trip is Sept 3-13th and of course made ADRs and pre- planned trip prior to announcement. Concerned about getting into HS for our evening plans ( Fantasmic and another night in the park ). Hopefully since we have ADRs and are staying onsite, we will be able to get in even if they are at capacity. Hoping this will give us a little easier access to Toy Story Land as well. Was really looking forward to low overall crowds for the beginning of Sept so, it will be interesting to see what impact this has on predicted crowd levels. I'm hoping that maybe with Star Wars opening earlier than anticipated that perhaps the gondolas will be up and running too.

You'll have Skyliner access, too. :)

We booked AOA because it is our last chance to stay there before our youngest turns 3 and we're beyond occupancy, but were REALLY REALLY hoping the skyliner is open for our labor day trip. With all the testing the past few weeks and SWGE opening the 29th, I'm optimistic they're planning to have them up and running before opening.

We already had a trip booked with check out day of August 29th. I saw the announcement this morning and had no trouble adding two more days to our stay. I am hoping for an early passholder preview like there was for Pandora since I don't think I want to be part of the extreme craziness that will happen on August 20th.

Is there any chance of a pasholder preview for this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter