Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Day *August 29* Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had zero intentions of going to the opening of SWGE. I made our annual last-week-of-August WDW reservations last October. Now, lo and behold . . . holy moly. But with NO fastpass+? Wowza! Unless they have a limited-capacity, hard ticket event for SWGE, I think we will have to visit another park that day!

I’ll be there in the evening/late afternoon for the opening in WDW.

Gonna be intense, I’m sure.
Unless the park hits capacity.....just sayin'. Since there is only one ride open I cannot imagine anyone would want to spend an entire day/evening in SWGE. Or would they? I picture the park hitting capacity sometime in the morning. Wouldn't that be like MK is on Christmas day where they have to close the park due to capacity?

Just curious about availability for that weekend, I checked some resort availability (definitely not for myself - we're going down from 8/10-8/19 and are not that close - Delaware) because I was curious if people were jumping all over hotel reservations for then. Somebody can still get a heck of deal for that - Pop has standard rooms still available with the Sun & Fun: 8/28-9/2 for only $113/night.

Last edited:

Thoughts on trying to plan our day at HS. Should we assume (even 1st week of November) that we need to be at HS early early to be in line for SWGE? I would prefer to keep my HS plans, and then "stroll" (aka claw) our way over to SWGE in the afternoon since I'm certainly not the biggest Star Wars fan, but FDH likes it and has at least seen the films. I'm wondering if I'm going to be forced to swap my day around and hit SWGE in the early morning, see how much we can handle (if we even get in due to capacity), and then enjoy the rest of HS?

Well, people still get to AK 45 mins to an hour before park opening to get on Flight of Passage so I assume will be same case here - probably worse given no FP

Did anyone guess August? I guess Disney considers August a fall month. Could be because that's when they start MNSSHP. I guess Labor Day w/e is as good as any. This is making me think a park hopper may be a better idea than the base ticket. I guess it's little better than late October which is when we'll be there. Labor Day Weekend will absolutely nuts but it's still very exciting although I'm glad to wait until a bit later anyway.

Last edited:
holy crap - just booked a late oct/early nov trip assuming we'd be beating the crowds. We are west coasters and I was hoping we'd do some sleeping in this trip due to low crowds. Guess i'll be revisiting that - will need to get to DHS super early on EE days for an hour or two of park time then get the heck out of dodge. I imagine DHS in October will be like Adventureland in DL during Xmas - walking amongst a wall of people by 10:30am. Bummed about no FP+ - I was really hoping there'd be a FP+ just to get into SWGE.

I wonder if ticket prices will go up soon - haven't bought ours yet (only rented DVC points last week). Yowza. Definitely changes the entire makeup of our trip knowing the crowds are coming. I guess my only big change is maybe we will do fewer park days and use up all of the hopper plus experiences for once in addition to focusing on early park days -I would think there will be a larger proportion of adult/evening/night traffic in that first year. wow.

Wow .. just Wow .. August 29? I never dreamed it would be that early. That is definitely not LATE Fall.

I have two trips booked ... one for mid-Sept at Caribbean Beach and another for mid-October for AoA. Unfortunately they arent very long reservations . 4-5 nights. I hate the 60 day+ booking window. I probably wont have an opportunity for a FP for EITHER ride for EITHER date unless I increase my stay to 6-7 nights.

My Annual Pass gamble paid off! I got an AP last November in hopes to catch the opening of SWGE .. little did I know I would have MONTHS of time beforer my pass expires.

I guess this means we probably wont see any other discounts or AP discounts for the rest of the year. I luckily have a room booked during the (ends Sept 30) discount window.

I dont think this will stop AP discounts for the rest of the year. Currently the last one goes to June 30th so I would at least hope they would give them out for July and August at the least. If I had to guess, there will still be the normal fall and winter discounts (maybe a little bit smaller discounts) for AP and non-AP. The issue is going to be though will there be any actual rooms left to book hahaha. That may be an issue.

I dont think this will stop AP discounts for the rest of the year. Currently the last one goes to June 30th so I would at least hope they would give them out for July and August at the least. If I had to guess, there will still be the normal fall and winter discounts (maybe a little bit smaller discounts) for AP and non-AP. The issue is going to be though will there be any actual rooms left to book hahaha. That may be an issue.
Sure .. I am guessing it all depends on bookings. If hotels are booking up on their own due to the demand, I guess they wont need to offer it. who knows . .maybe bookings will be flat if people dont want to deal with crowds.

I think October (especially this October) will officially be the busiest overall month of the year. Between the popularity of the weather, the Halloween parties, and SWGE being only a month old (plus Skyliner .. plus MRRR). Whew. Maybe not a time to plan a once in a lifetime trip.

Unless the park hits capacity.....just sayin'. Since there is only one ride open I cannot imagine anyone would want to spend an entire day/evening in SWGE. Or would they? I picture the park hitting capacity sometime in the morning. Wouldn't that be like MK is on Christmas day where they have to close the park due to capacity?

Just a waiting game! I can’t make it to the park until evening, I fly in that day, so, it’s all I can really do. :scared:

Sure .. I am guessing it all depends on bookings. If hotels are booking up on their own due to the demand, I guess they wont need to offer it. who knows . .maybe bookings will be flat if people dont want to deal with crowds.

I think October (especially this October) will officially be the busiest overall month of the year. Between the popularity of the weather, the Halloween parties, and SWGE being only a month old (plus Skyliner .. plus MRRR). Whew. Maybe not a time to plan a once in a lifetime trip.

We are going Aug 16-24th so I am hoping they still offer that AP discount for that week at least!

And I know an AP preview is unlikely but it would be pretty cool if they did while i was there.

I had Sept. 2-7 booked due to the original forecast for low crowds. Following along while I debate strategy/rescheduling.
I've gone over 4 or 5 possible scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!