Splash down for 6 months.

I'll start by admitting to being annoyed to losing a Mountain ride for the second September in a row (BTMRR was down last Sept).

That said, wouldn't it make more sense to take it down later in the year, when it gets much cooler? Or even beginning of next year in Jan/Feb? I get that Sept is slower, but it's a water ride, why take it down when people could USE a water ride due to the heat? Especially us poor souls from Maine, and other points North?

/End of whine

There are few times of year when they offer any promotions beyond the standard room percentages to get people in to the parks at soft times...

Roughly august 10- October 1 are one of the LAST remaining soft seasons at WDW. So alas - that is the time to do rehabs. More so really than any other time. And it never really gets cold anymore...so you can't even use that as an excuse in the case of splash.

The reality is that WDW gets 51-52 million visitors a year now...they aggressively added in the 80's and 90's to comfortably fit maybe 40-45...but then did NOTHING since to really account for the increases...in some places they actually lost guest areas. So there really is a price to be paid and unfortunately this is it. They can't really close rides between October and July.

There are few times of year when they offer any promotions beyond the standard room percentages to get people in to the parks at soft times...

Roughly august 10- October 1 are one of the LAST remaining soft seasons at WDW. So alas - that is the time to do rehabs. More so really than any other time. And it never really gets cold anymore...so you can't even use that as an excuse in the case of splash.

The reality is that WDW gets 51-52 million visitors a year now...they aggressively added in the 80's and 90's to comfortably fit maybe 40-45...but then did NOTHING since to really account for the increases...in some places they actually lost guest areas. So there really is a price to be paid and unfortunately this is it. They can't really close rides between October and July.

LOL, sorry about that... I was whining, I didn't mean for it to be taken seriously... But thank you for taking the time to spell it all out.

I'll start by admitting to being annoyed to losing a Mountain ride for the second September in a row (BTMRR was down last Sept).

That said, wouldn't it make more sense to take it down later in the year, when it gets much cooler? Or even beginning of next year in Jan/Feb? I get that Sept is slower, but it's a water ride, why take it down when people could USE a water ride due to the heat? Especially us poor souls from Maine, and other points North?

/End of whine

See this post as a possible reason for those dates:

Pretty solid info now. August to November. From what I understand this was pushed into Summer/Fall 2017 to make room for another refurb to happen in early 2018.

we'd miss it for sure as we are planning to visit in September but, there are tons of must do's on our list and it just gives us more reason to come back again :D now... if BTMRR was down that would be a tragedy for my husband!

So August 28th- November 16th - good thing for me its just after I leave! I only expect to be able to ride this once (its a no for most of the folks in my party) but was definitely looking forward to it.

Are these dates confirmed yet? If not, what is the usual time-frame for confirming such things?

Just got back. Overheard Splash Mountain cast member telling guest as he got on that ride that it was closing down for six months. Don't know if this is common knowledge or not. Big refurb. Just after 4th of July to almost Christmas.
I hope not!! It is my fav ride and I'm hoping it is open at Xmas Thru To Marathon weekend.

So August 28th- November 16th - good thing for me its just after I leave! I only expect to be able to ride this once (its a no for most of the folks in my party) but was definitely looking forward to it.
I really hope these dates are correct......I have a 6 night stay at WDW August 19th to 25th and would hate for Splash to be down as it is one of my family's favourite rides. We will be returning to MK for another day later in our trip and will have to do without Splash then but hopefully we will be all Splashed out from our Disney stay. :D

Oh snap! I have some family members going in October, they will not be happy to hear this :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter