Specific Attractions and GAC

Is the handwritten fastpass something new?

I'd say it's been around 8-10 years(maybe longer) but it's not always used. I remember being given a handwritten Fastpass in about 2004 for Living With the Land. The wheelchair access is through the Fastpass line and I was given a Fastpass with the return time of the Standby line time.

It's not used often for wheelchair users because most of the lines are mainstreamed. But I have run into it for some non-mainstreamed lines.

It's something we've never encountered. This is something that could be very difficult for my daughter, who has autism. She needs to know what to expect. If we approach an attraction and she is expecting to ride, and then is told to come back later, that's going to be a problem. We can't just tell her maybe she'll ride, maybe she'll get a hand-written fastpass and have to come back. Perhaps this has never happened to us because of the particular GAC that she has been issued, but with talk of changes to the GAC I am concerned.

It's something we've never encountered. This is something that could be very difficult for my daughter, who has autism. She needs to know what to expect. If we approach an attraction and she is expecting to ride, and then is told to come back later, that's going to be a problem. We can't just tell her maybe she'll ride, maybe she'll get a hand-written fastpass and have to come back. Perhaps this has never happened to us because of the particular GAC that she has been issued, but with talk of changes to the GAC I am concerned.
I have heard of it with all different GAC stamps and it has happened to us several times.
It could always come up if the access path you would be using is either too full, unavailable or requires more staff than are currently available. That is why many people prefer to use Fastpasses and touring plans as much as possible - it is so much more consistent.

Yes, we like to use Fastpass when possible. It's easy for one person in the group to run ahead and get them. When Fastpass isn't an option, the GAC we have been getting works very well, and I would hate to see that change. We use it less than in earlier years, but would not be able to go to WDW without it.

Yes, we like to use Fastpass when possible. It's easy for one person in the group to run ahead and get them. When Fastpass isn't an option, the GAC we have been getting works very well, and I would hate to see that change. We use it less than in earlier years, but would not be able to go to WDW without it.

I have an ASD child and I understand this issue.
Since what you're accustomed to is being directed to an alternate waiting area (I assume--since GAC doesn't give FOTL access correct?) could you not just explain to DD that the alternate waiting area is outside the ride instead of inside? Giving the handwritten Fastpass is really the same as offering an alternate waiting area. I think this explanation would probably satisfy my child.

Since what you're accustomed to is being directed to an alternate waiting area (I assume--since GAC doesn't give FOTL access correct?) could you not just explain to DD that the alternate waiting area is outside the ride instead of inside? Giving the handwritten Fastpass is really the same as offering an alternate waiting area. I think this explanation would probably satisfy my child.
:thumbsup2
I like that answer. It would appeal to my somewhat legalistic nephew who is an Aspie.

Well, given the Fastpass is more of a "come back later" than an alternate waiting area, then no, this would not work. I know how she thinks. If she's expecting to be on an attraction, and then is told she has to come back later, it's confusing. What we have now works for her individual needs. I don't know how changing that is going to stop abuse.

Personally I think Disney does a lot for guests with disablities and issues. More than any other theme park I've been to. Perhaps what needs to be remembered is that as much as they do on an individual basis, they are never...ever...going to be to please everyone. It's not "we'll figure out how to deal with everyone's issues, then deal with the other guests" It's the opposite. If people say that all these accomedations don't work, maybe it's time to reconsider going to Disney.

Personally I think Disney does a lot for guests with disablities and issues. More than any other theme park I've been to. Perhaps what needs to be remembered is that as much as they do on an individual basis, they are never...ever...going to be to please everyone. It's not "we'll figure out how to deal with everyone's issues, then deal with the other guests" It's the opposite. If people say that all these accomedations don't work, maybe it's time to reconsider going to Disney.

The accommodations my daughter gets do work for her. That's why we go. We're not complaining about the accommodations. It's losing the accommodations that concerns me. Obviously it's not a concern to you, because as you say, "it's the opposite."

The accommodations my daughter gets do work for her. That's why we go. We're not complaining about the accommodations. It's losing the accommodations that concerns me. Obviously it's not a concern to you, because as you say, "it's the opposite." Hmmm, what's the opposite of "normal" (your word)?

Beccabunny, I think the important thing to remember here is that the same GAC can be handled in different ways at the same attraction - and always has been. Your experience has never involved receiving a hand-written fastpass - however that has always been an accomodation that you COULD have been given. It depends on particular circumstances OF THE ATTRACTION, not necssarily of the guest. If providing a hand-written fastpass is the accomodation that is offered, you will need to have a "Plan B" to explain to your DD that the "wait" is on the bench or having a snack or a walk around before getting in line. I understand completely the need to manage expectations - we deal with the same thing. However, there are little times in life that even the expected doesn't work as we thought and we as parents sometimes have to be quick-thinking to turn a possible negative reaction (tantrum that she can't enter the ride RIGHT NOW) into a positive reactiion (oh wow, look, they will let us go get a snack before getting into line and we'll wait less! - the wait may or may not be less, but if presented to your child that way it could prevent meltdown).

There is no GAC that guarantees you will be allowed access to the ride - what if the ride is completely down at the moment - you can't just tell the CM "well my child expects to ride now so let us in line." A hand-written fastpass is similar, though you do have the alternative option to use stand-by if the handwritten fastpass is unacceptable.

Beccabunny, I think the important thing to remember here is that the same GAC can be handled in different ways at the same attraction - and always has been. Your experience has never involved receiving a hand-written fastpass - however that has always been an accomodation that you COULD have been given. It depends on particular circumstances OF THE ATTRACTION, not necssarily of the guest. If providing a hand-written fastpass is the accomodation that is offered, you will need to have a "Plan B" to explain to your DD that the "wait" is on the bench or having a snack or a walk around before getting in line. I understand completely the need to manage expectations - we deal with the same thing. However, there are little times in life that even the expected doesn't work as we thought and we as parents sometimes have to be quick-thinking to turn a possible negative reaction (tantrum that she can't enter the ride RIGHT NOW) into a positive reactiion (oh wow, look, they will let us go get a snack before getting into line and we'll wait less! - the wait may or may not be less, but if presented to your child that way it could prevent meltdown).

There is no GAC that guarantees you will be allowed access to the ride - what if the ride is completely down at the moment - you can't just tell the CM "well my child expects to ride now so let us in line." A hand-written fastpass is similar, though you do have the alternative option to use stand-by if the handwritten fastpass is unacceptable.

I never have and never would demand to be let in a line immediately. Why would you even say something like that? I merely said that the accommodations we have work for us. My objection is to the suggestion by some on these boards that changes should be made, NOT to improve access, but to take away accommodations because some people think the disabled are getting some kind of unfair advantage.

I know more than many people would ever care to know about preparing for the unexpected. Still, I'm open to useful, concrete suggestions. Do you have any? Talking about the "little things in life" and the need to be "quick-thinking" just comes across as a parenting lecture and sounds condescending. I could have ignored it but for the implication that I would DEMAND immediate access to a line.

I'm not sure why you assumed my daughter has tantrums and meltdowns. Because she has autism? One child's autism is not another's. I think it's this "one size fits all" mentality that is the issue here, but you really shouldn't make assumptions. My daughter's autism is the least of her problems. We're dealing with several serious medical conditions, and the alternate entrance accommodation is only one of several accommodations that are afforded by the GAC she is issued on each trip. If alternate entrance is taken away, it's not going to improve access for anyone else, and there will still be whiners demanding all of her other accommodations are taken away as well.

Beccabunny, I apologize if what I wrote sounded condescending or a parenting lecture, I certainly didn't mean that. I attempted to clarify that a handwritten fastpass is and has been an accommodation and how to possibly explain the need for such to the person wtih a GAC. Your prior posts had implied that a handwritten fastpass would not be an acceptable accommodation for you because your daughter "needs to know what to expect" and "come back later" is too confusing and would not work.

Well, given the Fastpass is more of a "come back later" than an alternate waiting area, then no, this would not work. I know how she thinks. If she's expecting to be on an attraction, and then is told she has to come back later, it's confusing. What we have now works for her individual needs. I don't know how changing that is going to stop abuse.

By those statements it sounds like you expect access to be immediate (I didn't say ride immediately, but access to the attraction wait area or line). I merely pointed out that a handwritten fastpass has been an acceptable accommodation (by Disney's standards) for many years - it's not new or a change. You may not ever encounter it, but you may. Circumstances at any given attraction change fluidly throughout the day, and a handwritten fastpass may in fact be the accommodation you are given at some point in your journeys through WDW. If the alternate entrance, alternate wait area or any other accommodation you "typically" receive is not readily available to you and your family at the moment, the handwritten fastpass is the accommodation to wait elsewhere and return at a time when they can better accommodate you.

I never stated nor implied that a specific accommodation would be "taken away," just that it might not be available a the specific moment a guest needing such accommodation arrives at an attraction - therefore the handwritten fastpass. I also have not stated or implied that ANY accommodation your daughter - or anyone else on this board - has received previously should be "taken away." I support you and your family's access to GAC for whatever accommodations Disney is able to provide to assist you and make your vacation a pleasant experience. It has certainly helped my family so I understand how it is important to you. Again, I apologize if my prior post was mis-contrued.

Beccabunny, I think that this is a case where you have to learn to be flexible with how you manage your DD. You know that the hand written FP is a known accomodation. Be prepared. Explain to your DD ahead of time that sometimes the waiting is done outside of the ride queues and that you'll know this is happening becuase they'll give you a special FP that tells you what time your wait will be over. Make sure to explain it to her as just a different place to wait. Think of this as just another thing to prepare for. How would she handle it if an attraction she was anticipating was shut down (happened to us on numerous occasions)? It's very important to have a plan for what to do if what you expect to happen, doesn't. This can make the difference between your child just being disappointed yet rolling with the punches vs having a total meltdown. I'm saying this from the voice of experience. My DD has to be prepared for things to not go exactly as planned or we're guaranteed meltdowns. Hopefully the alternate waiting areas will still be available but be prepared for other accomodations because they DO happen.

I think part of the issue is that having a specific diagnosis in common does not mean the disability is "common".

I know it's not meant as parenting instruction, but the assumption is being made that ALL children with autism function on the same level. To be specific, the assumption is being made that ALL children with autism are capable of 1) understanding language (even in high stress situations) and 2) having a concept of time. Maybe just telling some children about snacks and return times and managing expectations works, but its not a simple solution for every child.

Sure, in life there are things you just have to deal with, and no company can make accomodations for every child/person.....but it just seems like its very easy to dismiss and minimize accomodation concerns when the need is cognitive. Or quite frankly, why those concerns should be met with (unhelpful) parenting advice and suggestions that seeking an accomodation for a cognitive disability is somehow trying to game the system just doesn't make sense to me. Being concerned that a child will have disability induced difficulty turning back from a ride is not the same as demanding immediate access.

A return Fastpass wouldn't work for my son--He wouldn't understand that we stopped the forward process and went back. Snacks, coming back later etc wouldn't be the issue. The starting a process then not finishing the process would be the problem. And throwing all the words in the world at him wouldn't make a bit of difference--because the words wouldn't mean anything to him when he's aggitated. And I also get the feeling that we're all using "meltdown" differently. Doesn't mean we expect immediate access, but it does mean that accomodation doesn't accomodate HIS disability.

ladyjubilee and BeccaBunny, it's truly regrettable that you're reading the responses in this thread as dismissive or condescending, or as parenting advice or that anyone thinks anyone else here is trying to game the system, or that you think the posters on this forum (of all places) don't understand the autism spectrum. On the other hand, it probably wouldn't hurt to point out BeccaBunny didn't mention autism until page three - but I digress.

Many of the posters on this forum have children or spouses on the spectrum. Even those who don't, understand more about autism thanks to those who live with it, and share. Anyway, posters aren't trying to give parenting advice - they're trying to give park touring advice. Truly, the absolute best advice - and it seems to be getting ignored - is
Arrive early
Use FastPass
Get a good park touring plan and follow it
That combination seems like it would work better than any GAC, because the accommodation can - as has been repeated - change from visit to visit, even on a single day. Combining a good touring plan with FastPass enables the parent to prepare the person with autism what to expect, better than any GAC could.

And sometimes, despite all the preparation you do, things don't work the way you want or expect. Because the accommodation could be handled differently depending on different conditions at any attraction different times/days, if a guest is going to get uncontrollably agitated when faced with the unexpected, it's possible a theme park vacation might not be the best option.

My point was Disney could easily go into the "one size fits all" type accomedation, and they don't. They usually have several different things available based on your needs. In the case where they do they're best to do something for you based on what they're able to do and/or you're given multiple options and you still say "this just won't work", then it doesn't work. Not everyone is ever going to be happy and it's only realistic to know that going in. Woohoo for you that you've been able to get through things up to this point, but things can change and it's ignorant to just dismiss that possibility.

Teaching your child that things change and it's ok is the best thing you can do. Its hard to do and it probably will be a long journey to get to that point but it's not fair to ANY kid to teach them "this is the way things are and always will be" when it comes to something out of your control. But I'm "the opposite" so what I say doesn't matter pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter