Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

ok, I wasn't aware that they could launch any day.
thanks for the info.

we scheduled this trip with the launch on the 14th so
I still have my fingers crossed :)

Can you see the launch from WDW........

Yes, see some of the posts earlier in this thread about where people watched the launch from in WDW.

We will be there the first week of February....so if they hit the 2/7 launch date that would be nice for us. We wouldn't even consider leaving the park to try and view it from a closer location. BUT, if we knew it was going to be happening, we would certainly stop to see if we could see it from WDW at the designated time.

I have a Visitors center viewing Ticket for the tentative Feb 7th launch. I would pay to get that extra mile to the NASA Causeway, does anyone out there have a LTT that they cant use because of the date?

Also, disregarding cost and traffic, and knowing that you cant see the pad, is the visitors center still better than any public site outside KSC?

Thanks,
Lancer

Can you see the launch from WDW........

The ability to see a shuttle launch from WDW is solely dependent on the cloud cover between WDW and the Cape which is some 50+- miles away.

Very often, you'll only be able to get a fleeting glimpse at best due to clouds.

You're far better off taking the time to go over to Titusville to view the launch.

We saw the shuttle from Saratoga Springs in August, we were in the pool and the lifeguard pointed it out to us. It was amazing.

I have read how crowded the center is on launch days, but are the crowds just as bad when the launch is for an orbital weather satellite? We were planning on going on a day when the satellite is "scheduled" to launch. Just wondering?

TIA

Need to take the opportunity to "Thank" BPCooper for the information provided via his links. We referenced his info and viewed the Endeavor launch in August 2007 from Spaceview Park in Titusville. As stated you can see the launch and believe me you will hear and feel the liftoff, that's the good part. Now for the traffic. It wasn't too bad getting from WDW to Titusville, took less than two hours to get there. Left WDW at about 2:00 pm to go, launch was to be at approximately 6:30 pm. However the return trip was something else. Left about 6:45-6:50 pm and pulled back into WDW at about 10:45 pm, bumper to bumper traffic the whole way back to Orlando.

Last June I took my son to Florida to see Space Shuttle Atlantis lift off.

We got a great view of the lift off from Space View Park in Titusville.

Here are a few photos of the lift off:
http://www.killops.com/?p=210

Gary

I have read how crowded the center is on launch days, but are the crowds just as bad when the launch is for an orbital weather satellite? We were planning on going on a day when the satellite is "scheduled" to launch. Just wondering?

TIA

We saw the launch of a Delta rocket last February over President's Day weekend. We went to watch at Jetty Park. We arrived about 30 minutes before the launch. there was a crowd, but nothinig unmanagable. Maybe a 1,000 people or so on the pier and the beach. We were staying in Cocoa Beach and had no trouble getting back to our hotel.

We are going to be in Florida over Easter weekend and hope to see an Atlas rocket launch on Good Friday (I think the launch window is 545 - 630 pm)

TIA

No, the unmanned rocket launches do not get the crowds that the shuttle gets. But in the best spots to view them, those spots can be filled to capacity because they are much smaller viewing areas (the best places to view the rocket launches, in otherwords, just happen to be smaller overall areas than the good ones for the shuttle).

What launch are you looking at attending?

The current upcoming launches (dates as of today):
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/

If you really want a better view without going all the way to Kennedy. Try going to Daytona. You will be close enough to get a great view. I live close to there and see it quite well.

Ben,

Thanks for sharing the launch viewing guidelines and photograhy with us. The info was priceless considering each viewing is a one shot deal and I want to make the most of it. I am attending the Feb 7th launch. Couldnt scrounge up LTT so I bought visitor center tickets, but after seeing your pics I am scrapping those and am heading for titusville. I want to get a feel for what my camera lens will do from say space park and would like to know if you could share your camera lens and setting info for your titusville pics. I may not have time to experiment before launch. The longest lens I have is a Canon 70-300 IS and several in between down to a 10-22 shooting with a Canon 20D. Of course any other advice would be helpful and most appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi everyone

We are crossing our fingers to see the launch on the 7th. Can someone tell me what to expect. We do have launch tickets from when it was scrubbed in Dec. Do I need to buy more tickets? Is 3 hours about how long it will take to get back to WDW that evening after the launch? Just curious we are very excited to go since we were so disappointed when it was scrubbed in Dec. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Titusville is always a great place to watch the launch. On a clear day you can see the launchpad. Its never really that crowded....ans easy to take 50 from Orlando, where 50 ends US1 begins. A quick left brings you to a park you can see the shuttle form right over the Indian River.

Hi everyone

We are crossing our fingers to see the launch on the 7th. Can someone tell me what to expect. We do have launch tickets from when it was scrubbed in Dec. Do I need to buy more tickets? Is 3 hours about how long it will take to get back to WDW that evening after the launch? Just curious we are very excited to go since we were so disappointed when it was scrubbed in Dec. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA

If the tickets have not been used yet, you would be able to use them. Are these LTT tickets for the causeway, or just for viewing from the visitors complex? If the first, then you don't officially use them until you get on the bus for the causeway. If it's the VC tickets then once you enter they are probably used, but I would call and check.

After the launch, yes, three hours is a good estimate for the trip back most of the time. If you don't want to sit in traffic, then don't leave right after the launch; isntead wait an hour or two at the VC touring around before heading home.

Launch remains targeted for Feb. 7 at 2:45pm EDT that day. NASA will hold a press conference Jan. 31 to firm this up; the countdown would begin Feb. 4. NASA has also announced that STS-123's new date is March 11, with that night launch being 2:31am if that day.

Thank you very much BPCooper. We did only have the viewing from the field?? Not the causeway. I did call and my tickets are still good I didn't even ever think that they may not be. Glad you mentioned to call. That would have been a disappointment. I think we will hang out for awhile to try and avoid some of the traffic. Is everything open at teh complex afterwards? Thanks again. :upsidedow :upsidedow

Since it is a day launch things should be open till closing time (another thing to ask about). They may even start running tours again, I'm not sure.

Ok, I'm sorry, but could someone give me a quick fill in for viewing the launch on Feb. 7th?

We are taking an unexpected trip to Orlando Feb. 3rd-8th, we were planning on going to Kennedy Space Center one day anyway and now that I see there is a launch scheduled, we will go on the 7th.

Do the tickets sell out?

Do we need special tickets for the lauch?

If so and they are sold out, can we still go to Kennedy, tour it and view the launch from there (even if not in a special area for ticket holders or whatever)

MANY years ago (like 25) I saw a rocket take off at Kennedy and it was VERY cool and something I still remember clear as bell to this day. So I want to be sure my nephew sees the launch this trip, he'll be thrilled and so will I!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter