Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

Lisa, you do not need tickets but tickets can get you closer. The closest viewing spot, the NASA causeway (6.5 to 7 miles), was sold out when it went on sale back in November. Your only hope is ebay or posting around other forums (like uplink.space.com or collectspace.com) and asking if anyone is not going now and has unused tickets.

The next closest place with a view of the pad is Titusville (free viewing) at 12 miles. That's always my recommendation because of the clear view.

If you want to be closer without seeing the pad, there is one other option and that is the KSC visitors complex (7.5 miles). They are still selling tickets for that at kennedyspacecenter.com.

Hope this helps.

Lisa, you do not need tickets but tickets can get you closer. The closest viewing spot, the NASA causeway (6.5 to 7 miles), was sold out when it went on sale back in November. Your only hope is ebay or posting around other forums (like uplink.space.com or collectspace.com) and asking if anyone is not going now and has unused tickets.

The next closest place with a view of the pad is Titusville (free viewing) at 12 miles. That's always my recommendation because of the clear view.

If you want to be closer without seeing the pad, there is one other option and that is the KSC visitors complex (7.5 miles). They are still selling tickets for that at kennedyspacecenter.com.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Ben!

I still a bit confused though....like I said it's been MANY years since I've been to Kennedy. If we are there just to tour the space center, will we be able to see the launch? Do we need seperate tickets for the tour and the launch?
Thanks again!

Tickets to tour the space center alone are not available on launch day. If you want to take the complete tour or tours, I would recommend going before launch (say Feb. 6) or else hope that it launches and then tour the next day.

On launch day you need to have launch day-only tickets; they may allow launch visitors to tour after it has lifted off. Most tour areas are closed off on launch day (the main tour sites).

We saw the shuttle launch last December from the California Grill Observation Deck at the Contemporary. It was lucky timing for us - the shuttle launch had been scheduled for a few days before, but kept getting cancelled due to weather conditions. Our waiter told us about it, and held our appetizers in the kitchen so we could go out to watch. It was great!:goofy:

I've been following this thread and am still confused. Can we purchase the Launch Viewing from the Visitor Center to view the launch (where I realize you can't see the shuttle until it clears the trees) and also tour the VC exhibits (excluding the launch pads, etc)? From what I can tell, you can't purchase basic VC tour admission on launch days, but I'm wondering if you purchase the VC launch tix, if you can then tour the basic exhibits? Thanks!

The tickets to view the launch from the visitors complex are valid for two days admission, meaning you can come back the next day and take the tours. On launch day itself, any tours that run are going to very limited and, perhaps, not even start until after the launch (which would be late afternoon). I would call and ask, because every launch is different based on the launch times.

In addition, you cannot buy a general ticket just for touring and then try to come in on launch day. You will not be granted access.

To buy tickets for the launch from the visitors complex:

http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yahoo.net/stspshen.html

Last summer my cousin who is a NASA contractor employee invited my son to the launch. He got to see it from where the employees and VIP's watch, which is pretty much as close as they let watchers get. It was a dream come true for him.

So my advice is. . . get a job with NASA or one of its contractors. lol:goodvibes

In August I was in my hotel room at POR, my parents were out at the food court. I saw on the news that it was launching in a few seconds, ran outside and stood with a couple of other guests and sure enough, I saw it! It was very clear in the sky.
My parents told me they watched it with a crowd of people on the POR bridge.

Since I've been to three launches (two day, one night) I always recommend A1A . You can see the pad and HEAR the launch from there.
I thought NASA stopped selling the causeway passes. Has that restarted?
Take the tour. It's worth every penny.

Titusville is closer than A1A by a couple miles at A1As closest point (really 528 at the Port).

What ceased was the free distribution of car passes after 9/11. They have never stopped causeway viewing; they just made it bus only.

On this anniversary of the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster I want to share a link I found with you. God bless our brave astronauts.

http www spaceshuttlememorial com

I wonder if you can shed some light on this. On ebay someone from England is selling what they are calling VIP passes along with what looks like an authentic parking pass. All you can make out on the pictures in bold print is"united states space program badge" along with smaller print on the bottom. Not your usual "causeway" looking ticket. Are these similar to "congressional VIP passes" and are they linked to a specific name which will be checked with ID upon arrival? Wondering if its worth a chance!

Thanks

I saw the ebay item in question. They are just regular tickets for the public as sold. However, the seller is in the UK so I wouldn't be risking a delivery by Wednesday anymore.

Ben,
Thanks for the info and PM's. I agree, not worth the risk. I am still going to keep an eye out for LTT but will probably settle for Titusville.

Thanks
Lancer

I wonder if you can shed some light on this. On ebay someone from England is selling what they are calling VIP passes along with what looks like an authentic parking pass. All you can make out on the pictures in bold print is"united states space program badge" along with smaller print on the bottom. Not your usual "causeway" looking ticket. Are these similar to "congressional VIP passes" and are they linked to a specific name which will be checked with ID upon arrival? Wondering if its worth a chance!

Thanks

My son went last summer on a vip pass. He received his in the mail addressed specifically to him and had to RSVP so that they would have his name on file.

I live in Altamonte Springs (about 45 mins to 1 hr from Cape Canaveral) and I can enjoy the shuttle sitting on my bed, watching it through my bedroom window!

You can see the launches from the parks (they are 30 mins SW of where I am)

The photo makes it look farther away than it really was but it's an awesome view! There's nothing like the experience of being at Cape Canaveral for the launch, but my point is, you an enjoy it from many many other places as well! You can clearly see the shuttle, as well as when it ejects the fuel tanks. It is more than just a streak in the sky (although this photo begs to differ).

GBjoYrZaAv.jpg

I am so looking forward to the launch this Thursday and taking better pics with my nifty new camera (not the one that took this photo)! I will be at work so I am bringing my full camera gear to work and taking a late lunch to enjoy this amazing show!

The countdown is underway. Clocks began ticking at T-43 hours at 5:00pm EST Monday towards launch at 2:45:25pm EST Thursday afternoon.

The launch weather forecast is calling for a 40% chance of acceptable conditions Thursday due to a passing cold front, but increasing to sunny skies and 80% Friday and Saturday.

Follow updates here:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts122/status.html

Did anyone else score tickets today to see Endeavours launch from the causeway on March 11/08?
I picked up 2 tickets for my ds and I to go :cool1: It'll be a late one but so worth it!
Can't pass up such an opportunity to see one of the last remaining launches!

For anyone else who has seen a night launch from the causeway before - do have any suggestions for us? Time to arrive, what to bring etc.

Thanks in advance,
CDN Prince Charming

Hi!
We will be staying in WDW the night of the launch- I didn't know you could get tickets for the causeway? Where is the causeway?
Do you know what part of WDW would give the best vantage point for watching the shuttle after it's launched?
I would love to see this!

we went to the launch of atlantis last week.

we had kennedy tickets at the visitor's center. we had to arrive by 8AM.

it was a VERY VERY VERY long day for the kids (7 and 4). there are things to do, but waiting two hours for the IMAX movie was frustrating. we didn't wait. if you are an early arrival you get a great parking spot and can get into the bus tour to the apollo center. it is cool sitting where the vip's will be sitting in a few short hours.

so just go into knowing that there are crowds and the payoff if very cool. lines for attractions, lines for food...lines...lines...lines.

during the agonizing three hour drive back to orlando you do question if it was worth it....

but once you have calmed down from the drive....you decide...YES it was worth it.....ONCE.

next time it is titusville for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter