Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

Unfortunately STS-122 is off till after New Years after the problem repeated this morning.

As far as the shuttle not going on time goes: this is about as bad as it gets. I'm sorry for those who had tickets and will miss out.

The launch will now be a nighttime launch in early January. The earliest date is Jan. 2 which would have a T-0 time of about 5:41am. But it may be later into the month than that and as such have an earlier time (23-25 mins earlier time per day). No actual date has been examined and a solution for the problem still has to be found. Stay tuned.

We saw the Shuttle Launch on Oct. 23, from the boat dock behind the Contemporary.

Outside the CR by the pool, dock, anywhere is great. I saw the one on 4th of July last year, and it was phenominal! I'm assuming Poly and GF beaches would be great too, but I've only seen from CR.

NASA has announced today they are targeting January 10 for STS-122. Launch time would be 2:26am EST that day.

A tanking test (fueling the shuttle as a test) will be made this Tuesday the 18th and they hope to pinpoint the ECO sensor problem and have it fixed.

The new date of Jan. 10 will allow the workers across the program to have more holiday time.

Maybe they'll postpone until I get there on the 12th!!! I was there when they postponed it this month, so hoping for a chance to see it in Jan.

I just found out there is a launch scheduled for April 24th when we will be there. Now I have to decide if we should miss a day at the park to see a shuttle launch (if it actually takes off as planned):confused3
My kids are too little to really appreciated it but my dad would love to see it. Have any of you ever driven over to see a launch?

we tried to catch a launch in fall 2006, but that launch got scrubbed. we finally did catch a launch this past august. some info that might be helpful:

- jetty park is kind of hard to find, the a nice place and the closest you can get to a launch without acually paying to get on NASA property. (from what have been told by several locals) you have to pay, per car to get onto the jetty park propery, but it is not much at all and well worth it.

- it takes about 45 min with trafic to get to jetty park from WDW if you leave orlando at least 4 hours before the launch time. do what we did, leave very early and make it your day.

- jetty park is acually at the very top tip of coco beach. from the parking lot at jetty park you can easily walk to the beach. (park up against the waters edge if you can - we saw manatees and turtles in the wild swiming in the jetty while waiting for the launch.)

- pack a cooler with food and drinks. there isn't much of anyplace for food or beach items or anything else there at the park. you will love having this cooler with you later (see next point)

- even though this trip only takes 45 min on the way to the launch, after the launch trafic will be backed up for hours and hours afterwards. even if you avoid the rush right after the launch, it is still going to take you a very long time to get back to orlando. (our launch took off at i think 6 or 7 pm. we hung out at the beach a while longer, packed up, found a dinner to eat, made a stop at a wal-mart and then 2-3 hours after the launch headed for orlando....it was still backed up. it took us a few hours to get back. make sure you have a full tank of gas, wipes in the car incase you need to go potty along the side of the road -saw lots of people doing so-and drinks and snacks if your kids will need them.

- note that the very little town where jetty park is located practically everything shuts down in that town during the launch. get what you need well before the launch.

- once you pay to get onto jetty park, you can leave, but they can't guarante you will be able to get back in. they may fill up before you return. if you can get in when you return, i believe you may have to pay again to get back on the property.

- one of the radio stations (sorry can't remember what one) plays the NASA count down and you can hear "ground control" giving info and other very cool info. be sure to find that out when you get there from someone and tune in. very cool. you will see the burn about 4 seconds after they get to 0. they will continue to give you cool info (like how many miles up they are by now and stuff like that). the entire thing only takes like a min and a half until you can't see or hear the shuttle anymore, but it is very very cool.

with all of that negative stuff you may be thinking it is a bad idea. not so. it was fantastic. i am so glad we did it. even my 2yo daughter was excited for it. it was a once in a lifetime thing for us and we don't regret it.

One year when I was there the shuttle was shedule for a trip. I was told not to put too much time into it unless I had lots of time in central Florida. They said that you could drive over to Titusville and set up and the launch would be scrubbed. I opted to set my alarm and watch it from CSR where i was staying. What do you know, it was delayed two times. Finally got to see it on the third morning. I would definately make time to view it from somewhere in an area that you happen to be visiting that day. I was surprised at how few people got up to see the launch. It was 5:45 or so in the morning but how many times do you gewt that chance.

we tried to catch a launch in fall 2006, but that launch got scrubbed. we finally did catch a launch this past august. some info that might be helpful:

- jetty park is kind of hard to find, the a nice place and the closest you can get to a launch without acually paying to get on NASA property. (from what have been told by several locals) you have to pay, per car to get onto the jetty park propery, but it is not much at all and well worth it.

- it takes about 45 min with trafic to get to jetty park from WDW if you leave orlando at least 4 hours before the launch time. do what we did, leave very early and make it your day.

- jetty park is acually at the very top tip of coco beach. from the parking lot at jetty park you can easily walk to the beach. (park up against the waters edge if you can - we saw manatees and turtles in the wild swiming in the jetty while waiting for the launch.)

- pack a cooler with food and drinks. there isn't much of anyplace for food or beach items or anything else there at the park. you will love having this cooler with you later (see next point)

- even though this trip only takes 45 min on the way to the launch, after the launch trafic will be backed up for hours and hours afterwards. even if you avoid the rush right after the launch, it is still going to take you a very long time to get back to orlando. (our launch took off at i think 6 or 7 pm. we hung out at the beach a while longer, packed up, found a dinner to eat, made a stop at a wal-mart and then 2-3 hours after the launch headed for orlando....it was still backed up. it took us a few hours to get back. make sure you have a full tank of gas, wipes in the car incase you need to go potty along the side of the road -saw lots of people doing so-and drinks and snacks if your kids will need them.

- note that the very little town where jetty park is located practically everything shuts down in that town during the launch. get what you need well before the launch.

- once you pay to get onto jetty park, you can leave, but they can't guarante you will be able to get back in. they may fill up before you return. if you can get in when you return, i believe you may have to pay again to get back on the property.

- one of the radio stations (sorry can't remember what one) plays the NASA count down and you can hear "ground control" giving info and other very cool info. be sure to find that out when you get there from someone and tune in. very cool. you will see the burn about 4 seconds after they get to 0. they will continue to give you cool info (like how many miles up they are by now and stuff like that). the entire thing only takes like a min and a half until you can't see or hear the shuttle anymore, but it is very very cool.

with all of that negative stuff you may be thinking it is a bad idea. not so. it was fantastic. i am so glad we did it. even my 2yo daughter was excited for it. it was a once in a lifetime thing for us and we don't regret it.

Thanks for this info, I definatly don't want to buy tickets because you never know, they could cancel at the last minute. This launch is 'scheduled' for 8:30am so by what your saying about getting back we really would miss at least 3/4 of a park day but but like you said, this could be once in a lifetime.
Decision, decisions.......

One year when I was there the shuttle was shedule for a trip. I was told not to put too much time into it unless I had lots of time in central Florida. They said that you could drive over to Titusville and set up and the launch would be scrubbed. I opted to set my alarm and watch it from CSR where i was staying. What do you know, it was delayed two times. Finally got to see it on the third morning. I would definately make time to view it from somewhere in an area that you happen to be visiting that day. I was surprised at how few people got up to see the launch. It was 5:45 or so in the morning but how many times do you gewt that chance.

yes at the bare minimum I would get everyone to a good spot on Disney property and watch from there. I did once see a shuttle take off at night from Ft. Laderdale and even that was cool from 3.5 hours away:banana:

Oh if you get chance (and can spare the time!) then this is a wonderful thing to watch, I'll never forget it!

And guess what...I'll be there April 24th, so I MAY have to see if this is a possibility to watch again! :thumbsup2

Awsome experience!!

During our honeymoon in April 1990, there was a shuttle launch (actually, it was the one where they brought up the Hubble telescope). We didn't try to get over to the coast, but I do remember seeing the contrails grow as it went up while we were in MK.

im planning on being there at that time as well! any suggestions on where to get a view of it from disney property? we wont have a car

im planning on being there at that time as well! any suggestions on where to get a view of it from disney property? we wont have a car

Be advised that shuttle launch schedules are subject to change.

Also, viewing a shuttle launch from WDW can be very very iffy depending on the cloud cover between WDW and the Cape which is about 50 miles away. You may only get a fleeting glimpse if there are clouds.

Don't forget the December Launch was scrubbed for a fuel sensor which has not been resolved. This delay could easily change the schedule for the April Launch.

Having said that....I have been fortunate enough to see four shuttle launches and it doesn't matter how FABULOUS WDW is.......the shuttle program is funded thorugh 2009 -- if you get a chance to see it....you will NEVER forget it.

Rent a car - drive to Titusville, follow the crowds and find a spot alongside the road. Take binoculars, bug spray and a radio and get ready....it's a wonderful show.

Watch a couple of launches on You Tube and get yourself ready.

If you are near Washington DC, stop in the new Smithsonian Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport - Endeavor is there...you can stand under her!

By chance we will be there in April and with press passes, we will be in the bleachers at the Space Center - oh BOY am I hoping a shuttle launches during our stay!!!!!!

just subbing. i've heard rumours of a shuttle launch on april 24th but i know how those things can change at any point. we are leaving on april 26th to go to WDW but if there's really going to be a shuttle launch on the 24th we may just have to leave early and go to cape canaveral for a couple of days beforehand!

Don't forget the December Launch was scrubbed for a fuel sensor which has not been resolved. This delay could easily change the schedule for the April Launch.

Having said that....I have been fortunate enough to see four shuttle launches and it doesn't matter how FABULOUS WDW is.......the shuttle program is funded thorugh 2009 -- if you get a chance to see it....you will NEVER forget it.

Rent a car - drive to Titusville, follow the crowds and find a spot alongside the road. Take binoculars, bug spray and a radio and get ready....it's a wonderful show.

Watch a couple of launches on You Tube and get yourself ready.

If you are near Washington DC, stop in the new Smithsonian Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport - Endeavor is there...you can stand under her!

By chance we will be there in April and with press passes, we will be in the bleachers at the Space Center - oh BOY am I hoping a shuttle launches during our stay!!!!!!

ENDEAVOUR is NOT at Dulles and is still active in the shuttle program and based at the KSC...the orbiter vehicle you are referring to is ENTERPRISE - used for glide testing and not designed/built for space flight.

If you don't want to give up a day in the parks a good close second is to be in EPCOT and watch it in the sky directly behind Mission Space. We were in WDW for the October watch and while it has always been a dream of mine to see a launch in person there was no way I was going to try to keep my 6 & 2 yr. old occupied for the entire day or deal with being stuck in traffic on the way back to WDW. Not to mention I would have hated to give up the day, get over KSC only to have the launch not happen.

I made sure that we were in the Mission Space area for the launch and I will say that it was by far the highlight of my trip. It was almost surreal seeing what we could of the launch and being the sap that I am I actually teared up. My DH isn't that into the space program, my six year old doesn't fully grasp the importance or awesomeness (ok, that isn't a real word but it works here) and my 2 yr. old was just wanting a Mickey bar.

So if you decide not to go either make sure to be near MS at that time or find a good spot on the east side of WDW to catch a glimpse of it.

ENDEAVOUR is NOT at Dulles and is still active in the shuttle program and based at the KSC...the orbiter vehicle you are referring to is ENTERPRISE - used for glide testing and not designed/built for space flight.

parden me

point being......it's worth a trip there to see it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter