Some FP+ Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
The addition of FP+ is a fascinating experiment of human behavior. I think I would choose to adjust my strategy as follows: arrange my FP+ attractions at, say, epcot for after 4 or 5 PM. I would then head to magic kingdom at RD and do as much as I could at the beginning of the day. I think this might work because FP+ will encourage people to plan attractions for later in the day so they can sleep in and miss RD, thus, making the first couple of hours even better than they are now.

A couple of things here...that is a great plan. And, you could do this with all the parks, interchanging them. I agree that it would make people more relaxed and allow sleeping in. That, in turn opens the mornings which is nice. Also, it is quite possible the Heads have considered this whole scenerio...which could encourage adding PH's. We had them on a couple of trips. We are not married to them nor are we against them. We were not planning to get them this time as we felt that it took time away. But, if we save time running for FP's and can get some good am touring in at one park, go back to resort and swim, then go ride our FP rides at another park...they become a strong possibility again.

Now to the bolded. Oddly enough, I just wanted to say that I agree with the last part of your post (bolded). I originally saw FP+ as a good thing (who wouldn't want to guarantee FPs before you got to the park?) but Disney's official T&C on their site do suggest that FP+ and FP will be mutually exclusive or FP will just go away. If that's the case, I'm not in favor of the new system. For now, I'm basing my position on the official T&C.
I think that the confusion has to do with how we are defining 'FP'. To some, 'FP' means any same-day fastpass received at the parks. To others, it is a same-day paper fastpass received via the current FP machines. It is certainly possible that the current FP machines will go away, but same-day FPs will still be available via the FP+ kiosks or smartphone apps.

It's time for some more math! Let's explore the possibility of running standard FP and FP+ at the same time. For now, let's just look at one extremely popular attraction; we'll use Space Mountain. These calculations are based on those found in my previous post.

I don't know the specific numbers, but I've heard estimates of Space Mountain's hourly capacity being somewhere near 2,000 riders. Now, we'll again assume Disney is using twelve slots, so well divide 2,000 by 12 to get 165 (rounded down from 166.666 because you can't go above capacity), so that means that in every slot you can only have a total of 165 potential riders. Now, assuming every FP+ user who has a FP+ within that particular slot returns around the same time, you have 100 people now able to ride the attraction in the FP+ queue and only 65 people able to ride in the standby queue. To decrease FP+ wait times, many more FP+s holders will be let on to the attraction then standbyers.

To further put that into perspective, each hour 1,200 FP+ users will be able to ride while only 800 standby guests will be able to ride. Imagine WDW also distributes 300 standard FPs each hour (so 25 FPs per slot). Now, you have only 25% of hourly riders coming from the standby queue.

So, while Disney could use FP and FP+ together, standby lines would skyrocket. That being said, we don't know if there will be a decrease (or increase?) in guests using the standby queue after FP+ is implemented.

Given the speculation that they have flooded the FP system with additional slots to see how many they can use for FP+, isn't this pretty much what is going on now? And haven't we seen thread after thread complaining that standby waits have been much longer than expected?

Welcome to the future.

I'm missing the connection between being able to preschedule 3 or 4 FPs and phasing out PH. Currently, we can't preschedule any FPs. Why would being able to preschedule some be the death of hopping?

The word on the street from the officials is that you are only going to be able to schedule FP+ in one park a day. So the only way to park hop really would be to schedule all your FP+ rides either in the morning and then go to another park at night, or visa versa. I hate this idea. I like being able to go from park to park and get fastpasses for whatever I want, whenever I want.

Overall I think the thing that I dislike most about FP+ is that they are taking a system that works on current demand and making it more speculative.

The addition of FP+ is a fascinating experiment of human behavior. I think I would choose to adjust my strategy as follows: arrange my FP+ attractions at, say, epcot for after 4 or 5 PM. I would then head to magic kingdom at RD and do as much as I could at the beginning of the day. I think this might work because FP+ will encourage people to plan attractions for later in the day so they can sleep in and miss RD, thus, making the first couple of hours even better than they are now.

That's what our plans will look like as well. Rope drop at one park, schedule FP+s at a different park in the afternoon/evening.

I just love all the optimistic people who assume there will be enough FP+ slots to accommodate everyone getting their headliner FP+ slots late in the day. The people who do rope drop still want late day FPs (myself included) but so do the late sleepers.

I do think the ones who get those later slots will be far more tempted to sleep in. But the ones who slept in on the day they were supposed to book their Soarin, TT or TSMM FP slots could very well be "stuck" with only early AM slots anyway.

What I'm most interested in seeing is how many of those folks really show up for the early FP+ slots. Because if they do, that could busy up the mornings enough to balance things out in the end.

If there are only early openings, do you book it and hope you can be there? Even if there are same day in the park FPs available, you won't know whether any will still be available to replace your early appt time if you decide to sleep in and pass on it.

I really just wish they'd get going on this. I'm honestly curious to see how it plays out.

Given the speculation that they have flooded the FP system with additional slots to see how many they can use for FP+, isn't this pretty much what is going on now? And haven't we seen thread after thread complaining that standby waits have been much longer than expected?

Welcome to the future.

I'm not sure that the future will necessarily look like this. I think they are currently adding as many as possible to see how many the system can handle before standby gets outrageous. If the goal is to get everyone out of line and into the shops/restaurants to spend money I think the number of FP+ issued will have to be less then what we have seen reported over the past few weeks/months since I think we can all agree that the reported standby lines for the headliners has been outrageous.

I am still quietly keeping an eye on all the rumors to see how it will impact me. But it really is getting to be that time when I need to figure out which tickets to buy (From UT at a discount and upgrading to AP's on site or just ordering the APs in advance.) I really hope that they are ironing out all the technical kinks, plus listening to some of the negative feedback, and figuring out exactly how they will roll this out. But it would be REALLY nice if they would just give a timeline.... (coming early this summer, late this summer, this fall etc)

So, while Disney could use FP and FP+ together, standby lines would skyrocket. That being said, we don't know if there will be a decrease (or increase?) in guests using the standby queue after FP+ is implemented.
Obviously, more people obtaining FPs will result in fewer people waiting in the SB line. The ideal situation would be that if every guest who was interested in riding a specific ride was able to obtain one FP for it. The only people who would then need to be in the SB line would be those people wanting an additional ride. The SB line would therefore become fairly short, but the wait time would be as long as it needed to be.

Obviously, more people obtaining FPs will result in fewer people waiting in the SB line. The ideal situation would be that if every guest who was interested in riding a specific ride was able to obtain one FP for it. The only people who would then need to be in the SB line would be those people wanting an additional ride. The SB line would therefore become fairly short, but the wait time would be as long as it needed to be.

This is one of the pieces I'm really curious to watch. If you can only get 3 or 4 FPs, and only 1 or 2 of those are for headliners, then lots of folks are going to have to stand in standby lines. I think there are just too mnay unknowns to predict how this will pan out. But the pile of threads recently from folks frustrated by standby waits certainly has my attention. Many of them report entering the SB line when it was very short, but standing for extended periods of time watching dozens of FP folks feeding in while they wait. For them it doesn't matter that there weren't many other folks in the standby line. For them, it was a very negative experience.

I just love all the optimistic people who assume there will be enough FP+ slots to accommodate everyone getting their headliner FP+ slots late in the day. The people who do rope drop still want late day FPs (myself included) but so do the late sleepers.

I do think the ones who get those later slots will be far more tempted to sleep in. But the ones who slept in on the day they were supposed to book their Soarin, TT or TSMM FP slots could very well be "stuck" with only early AM slots anyway.
What I'm most interested in seeing is how many of those folks really show up for the early FP+ slots. Because if they do, that could busy up the mornings enough to balance things out in the end.

If there are only early openings, do you book it and hope you can be there? Even if there are same day in the park FPs available, you won't know whether any will still be available to replace your early appt time if you decide to sleep in and pass on it.

I really just wish they'd get going on this. I'm honestly curious to see how it plays out.

This what I wonder/worry about. I believe I makes it seem more important to be there if the FP+ was picked in advance. It will make it feel like if they don't make it to that time, they will be stuck in a 2 hour standby line. I think there is a chance that mornings may become busier.

I just spoke to someone I know that just got home from a 5 day trip to Disney and she told me her DD was disappointed because they were unable to ride several of the thrill rides she wanted to ride because there were no FPs, the FPs were too late or the standby lines were 90 to 120 minutes. This was a one time trip. They won't be back next year to catch these rides next time. So for them, this trip was a bit of a disappointment. She did say that she didn't know it was going to be so busy. So it seems they didn't do much research about the travel time.

2. Will child swap remain the same?
Why wouldn't it?
3. I'm wondering how this will be received by those travelling with wide age ranges? For instance, this fall my family is going with my BIL and SIL and their kids. My kids are bigger and ride everything from Dumbo to TOT. Their kids...not so much. So, I am thinking we will not all be reserving the same FP's each day? Kinda forces us to split up?
Why would it force you to split up any more than the current FP system? It seems that if FP+ allows for more FPs being available at more attractions, then we will be waiting in line for less amount of time, allowing disparate groups to happily tour without splitting up.

And perhaps this what the PTWB are hoping for- that everyone (or at least the overwhelming majority) only wants to ride once and be done. And I am sure there are a large number of folks who feel that way.

I guess it will remain to be seen just how many people want to ride twice (or thrice ;)) and are they willing to wait standby to do it? I would for 20 minutes or less (maybe 30 depending on the ride).

Again, I am interested as to how it will play out in reality and not in theoretical numbers. As we know, Disney is SO great at planning things and then not having the roll out go as planned :rolleyes1

If everyone that wanted to ride had a FP then isn't that about the same as making the FP line the new SB line? How can you move most everyone out of the SB line to the FP line and not expect the FP line waits to go up greatly?

You just go to Guest Services and have your ticket swapped.
I'm missing the connection between being able to preschedule 3 or 4 FPs and phasing out PH. Currently, we can't preschedule any FPs. Why would being able to preschedule some be the death of hopping?

Why would they need to take away slots from one attraction to increase slots at another?

It would impact park hopping because under current system, you can do regular fastpass at two different parks in one day, but fastpass plus only allows to pre-reserve at one park per day, and the current proposed terms and conditions (which may change because no actual system in place yet) clearly states that cannot do both fastpass plus and regular fastpass in same visit. So it looks like if you do fastpass plus and do two parks in same day, one will be entirely standby lines.

It is certainly possible that the current FP machines will go away, but same-day FPs will still be available via the FP+ kiosks or smartphone apps.

It has been my understanding that Disney has yet to state that FP+'s will be available the day of. For certain for those that have not made any in advance but I haven't seen where it has been stated that if you make 4 or 3 in advance that you would be allowed to make more once you are in the park. It would be great if this is what comes to pass but I have not seen Disney state this. So as you like to point out that Disney has not stated that we won't be able to get extra FP+'s the day of, neither have they stated that we WILL be able to get extra FP+'s the day of.

Why wouldn't it?
Why would it force you to split up any more than the current FP system? It seems that if FP+ allows for more FPs being available at more attractions, then we will be waiting in line for less amount of time, allowing disparate groups to happily tour without splitting up.

For child swap...just thinking with there being fastpasses on attractions that did not previously have FP...unless that is not the case. Like one that comes tom ind for our personal situation...Haunted Mansion. My kids always rode everything. They were not scared of thrill rides or dark rides. My nephew will be scared on HM. So, can they do a child swap? Or no? I don't know if it was ever an option...as I never had the issue. Just trying to iron things out since I am planning for two families that have varying ages from 2 to 17 (kid-wise).

We currently can't FP things like HM and Pirates. So, if we did that, the others would not ride with us. Is it the common consensus that we will not need to FP them? And they can be visited stand by?

The word on the street from the officials is that you are only going to be able to schedule FP+ in one park a day.
You can only PREschedule FPs for one park per day. No word has been given regrading same-day FPs.
So the only way to park hop really would be to schedule all your FP+ rides either in the morning and then go to another park at night, or visa versa. I hate this idea. I like being able to go from park to park and get fastpasses for whatever I want, whenever I want.
We have no idea how same-day FPs will work. If the CM who spoke to the OP is correct, the only difference in your current park hopping practice and your new one will be that you will have had prescheduled 4 FPs for one of the parks that you visit that day.

Today = no prescheduled FPs
Future = 4 prescheduled FPs

PP raises my concern. So based on the new system there is a lack of spontaneity built in. Unless you per plan all your days you are at a disadvantage. While the current system does have its draw backs it puts everyone on a level playing field. If I want to get to RD and get fast pass for a reason hour for TSM I can.if not i take what I can get. With FP+ I better know ahead of time what day I want to go to HS.

We visit often as many of the folks here and aside from a few planned days like day 1 and last day don't really plan what park we want to do every day. We don't do ADRs every day so we don't have to be at a specific park every day. Looks like this type of travel would now get later FP times which may or may not work for your schedule or mostly sb. Also. Forget about park hopping as you can't use FP+ in two parks.

Wile I get the reason for trying to cut down lines I don't like the idea I'd forcing people to plan everything. While some may like it I think the idea of booking cs meals and preordering ridiculous. If I wanted to schedule a meal I would do sit down. The points f cs is that you just go when you want. Ad to figure out in advance what I or my kids will want to eat days or weeks in advance?

Jmo

You can only PREschedule FPs for one park per day. No word has been given regrading same-day FPs.
We have no idea how same-day FPs will work. If the CM who spoke to the OP is correct, the only difference in your current park hopping practice and your new one will be that you will have had prescheduled 4 FPs for one of the parks that you visit that day.

Today = no prescheduled FPs
Future = 4 prescheduled FPs

Based on the CURRENT terms and conditions and not based on rumor I have to agree with a PP who said this:

It would impact park hopping because under current system, you can do regular fastpass at two different parks in one day, but fastpass plus only allows to pre-reserve at one park per day, and the current proposed terms and conditions (which may change because no actual system in place yet) clearly states that cannot do both fastpass plus and regular fastpass in same visit. So it looks like if you do fastpass plus and do two parks in same day, one will be entirely standby lines.

An interesting point has been brought up here.

While Disney's T&C does mention that guests with RFID tickets would no longer have access to the standard FP system, part of FP+ seems to be making FP+ reservations while in the park and it seems Disney will be segmenting off a predetermined amount of FP+ slots in advance to be released on the day they are valid. It seems like these reservations can be made on a smartphone or at special kiosks around the parks.

Perhaps, guests will have four prescheduled FP+ reservations (two from Group A and two from Group B) and then will be able to make to make FP+ reservations for attractions while they are in the park with the only restrictions being that you can't get another until the window on the first FP+ is open or two hour after obtaining the FP+ (basically exactly how the existing FP system works but it's now just via a smartphone) and guests can only prebook FP+s at one park, per day.

So, at MK, I could book a 12-1pm for Jungle Cruise, 2-3pm FP+ for Space, a 3-4pm for Splash, and a 4-5pm for Barnstormer. Let's say I meander into the park just before noon, I could get a FP+ for Thunder on my smartphone for 1-2pm. In the meanwhile, I could ride Buzz (if it doesn't have a long, long line), PotC, HM, TTA, and see CADTC, MSEP, and Wishes. That being said, that's a lot of planning for one day.

If this is the case, I wouldn't be necessarily be opposed (at the least, it would save walking time from FP kiosk to FP kiosk) to the new system but I'm skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter