Solo trip worries

How does everyone cope with those moments like the second you come off a ride and wanna rave and talk about it with your family or friends. You know the way you come off a ride and are like to the person your with ‘wow that was incredible, amazing rollercoaster etc’ I think I’ll miss those moments of having someone to share initial ride reactions etc with.
Yep. Those are moments when it's nice to have someone to share.

How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip.
-I bring my headphones and if I'm lonely, I call home. Sometimes I'll be on the phone with my husband for hours just wandering around, him on his headphones working from home & me in the parks.
Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?
-Some restaurants have the full menu at the bar. I don't think about this much anymore, but my first solo trip I tried to do the bar seating. Now I go for places with cool views (like Rose & Crown in EPCOT, I like to sit outside) so I have something besides my table to look at.
Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ?
-I've never thought about this one before....I mean, as long as you're not staring at the kids or acting weird there isn't anything wrong with being at the resort's pool alone. I'm sure parents tag team, or when I go with my sister she likes to nap while I swim, so it's not odd to be in a chair by the pool by yourself.
I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?
-Again, I've never looked around a bus and thought "Why is that person sitting alone?". If it makes you feel better, I think you're vastly overthinking how much other people are going to pay attention to the folks around them.
What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?
-If you want to have something like that to say, I don't see anything wrong with that, but in 5 years of going solo I've only ever had one person (an older woman) ask me if I was alone & why. It was SUCH a weird thing for her to ask and I was like "I wanted to go to Disney so I did?". Maybe she thought I was a kid who'd snuck away from their parents or something?
This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.
-If someone thinks you're a loser for being to afford a luxury 2 week vacation by yourself then they're the one with the problem, not you.
What resorts have the quiet / adult (sort of) pools in your opinion?

Can you use other resorts pools even if your staying in another WDW hotel ?
I think they all have quiet pools. They're smaller, normal pools that are away from the main pool (usually around the edges of the property). You can't use the pool at another resort.

How do you deal with loneliness for a 14 day trip.
-I bring my headphones and if I'm lonely, I call home. Sometimes I'll be on the phone with my husband for hours just wandering around, him on his headphones working from home & me in the parks.
Best way to dine solo in a restaurant without it looking awkward and standing out your in your own?
-Some restaurants have the full menu at the bar. I don't think about this much anymore, but my first solo trip I tried to do the bar seating. Now I go for places with cool views (like Rose & Crown in EPCOT, I like to sit outside) so I have something besides my table to look at.
Being in 30s and around hotel pool area/ being in swimming pool or water park where lots of children and families around without parents thinking your (how can I put this) thinking your a evil adult if you get what I mean ?
-I've never thought about this one before....I mean, as long as you're not staring at the kids or acting weird there isn't anything wrong with being at the resort's pool alone. I'm sure parents tag team, or when I go with my sister she likes to nap while I swim, so it's not odd to be in a chair by the pool by yourself.
I’ll be coming from the UK so most probably getting a coach / shared public transport to disney from airport so how do you try and not stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else with their friends or family and your by yourself boarding a coach on your own and sitting on your own and it being so noticeable I’m solo?
-Again, I've never looked around a bus and thought "Why is that person sitting alone?". If it makes you feel better, I think you're vastly overthinking how much other people are going to pay attention to the folks around them.
What if someone speaks to me on the plane and asks why I’m on my own especially going to Florida where most people go with friends and family, should I tell people a little white lie and say I’m like a YouTube blogger or write trip reports and ride reviews for Disney ?
-If you want to have something like that to say, I don't see anything wrong with that, but in 5 years of going solo I've only ever had one person (an older woman) ask me if I was alone & why. It was SUCH a weird thing for her to ask and I was like "I wanted to go to Disney so I did?". Maybe she thought I was a kid who'd snuck away from their parents or something?
This is probably a big one - WDW is such a big vacation destination for UK families and I worry I’m going to by chance bump into someone I once knew from high school etc and them thinking what a looser I’ve bevome in life by going on vacation to WDW on my own because knowone else would come with me.
-If someone thinks you're a loser for being to afford a luxury 2 week vacation by yourself then they're the one with the problem, not you.

I think they all have quiet pools. They're smaller, normal pools that are away from the main pool (usually around the edges of the property). You can't use the pool at another resort.

Awwwww thanks for answering all the questions I had. You have some great answers - Thankyou :)

Hahaha I do admit I am an over -thinker !

Here's the thing, mikeishere--You're going to have a fabulous time!!! Doing whatever you want, when you want, how you want, as much or as little as you want.

You've gotten amazing advice from all the other posters on this thread, so I can only add that sometimes being alone at WDW gives the experience a different sort of excitement than what you're used to having when you're with someone. I've never deliberately done a solo trip, but I've been solo on trips I've taken with DH or my sister--neither of them has the Disney Energy that I've got. I strike out alone, at first feeling sad that my sister of DH isn't with me, and then I have a great time anyway! Calling and texting do help, though. Like you, I like to share the "Wasn't that excellent?" moments with someone else. That's what your phone's for. Use it. And just be gleeful, which you will be. pixiedust:

How one handles being asked a question is so unique to each person, isn't it?

There are quite a few threads here from concerned people; a very common concern. There is a thread about "shaming"that I found fascinating. The few times I've been asked about traveling solo I see it as a curious person interested on others - not as something to be worried about, not as someone judging me. But I can see from reading these boards for a while that I am in the minority. Maybe it's because I'm a curious person. I love asking people about themselves. I guess some of the people I've spoken to are offended or concerned I am judging them.

At The World I have had nothing but good reactions but thinking back I guess I can see how a sensitive person could be put off by the, "Are you here by yourself?" question or a server asking "Party of one?" or even a surprised, "Really? For how long?" But as a person who isn't sensitive I don't perceive those questions as a negative. In fact, I often wish more people would ask. I love traveling solo and I love talking about it. In my experience no one on vacation in The World is remotely interested in me.

As someone that travels solo often, something that I think helps with any loneliness or awkward feelings of being alone is try to look for opportunities to help people around you. Offer to take someone's picture with their camera, help hold a stroller on a bus for a tired mom, help with directions if you're familiar with the parks, anything. It really makes a difference and makes for a better time for everyone.

Last edited:
As someone that travels solo often, something that I think helps with any loneliness or awkward feelings of being alone is try to look for opportunities to help people around you. Offer to take someone's picture with their camera, help hold a stroller on a bus for a tired mom, help with directions if you're familiar with the parks, anything. It really makes a difference and makes for a better time for everyone.
Good observation. I completely forgot how many families in the Canada Pavilion in Epcot asked me to take their picture in front of the waterfall near O Canada. I didnt mind as I find that area peaceful and cool since the waterfall does spray you on a hot day.

Here's the thing, mikeishere--You're going to have a fabulous time!!! Doing whatever you want, when you want, how you want, as much or as little as you want.

You've gotten amazing advice from all the other posters on this thread, so I can only add that sometimes being alone at WDW gives the experience a different sort of excitement than what you're used to having when you're with someone. I've never deliberately done a solo trip, but I've been solo on trips I've taken with DH or my sister--neither of them has the Disney Energy that I've got. I strike out alone, at first feeling sad that my sister of DH isn't with me, and then I have a great time anyway! Calling and texting do help, though. Like you, I like to share the "Wasn't that excellent?" moments with someone else. That's what your phone's for. Use it. And just be gleeful, which you will be. pixiedust:
Thanks good advice :)

I haven't done WDW by myself (yet!) but have done several cruise and land vacations by myself and loved them. Some random thoughts:
-I don't go out of my way to strike up conversations, but I have found that other people tend to talk to me way more once they realize I'm by myself. I'm a 50-ish woman, and other women my age tend to roll their eyes at their husbands and say, "Traveling alone sounds great!"
-For table-service restaurant meals, I tend to put my iPad mini or phone in my purse so I can read a book if I want. Sitting at the bar, as someone else mentioned, is also fun because I often end up talking with the bartender or others sitting next to me.
-Random tip for the pool: Bring spray sunscreen so you can spray it on your back yourself or ask someone to do it. No one wants to apply sunscreen by hand on a stranger!
-You have much more power at WDW as a solo! You'll be able to get last-minute ADRs and fast passes much easier for one person, and you can take advantage of the single-rider line on certain rides, and on others you may get called ahead to fill in an empty seat. Wait less, ride more!
-Photos: Outside of official photographers, watch for a small group that is juggling awkwardly to take a pic. Offer to take their picture if they'll take yours. People are usually grateful for this.
-Dance like no one's watching - because it's true! I hope you have a fabulous solo trip!

P.S. I reread your original message, and most of your concerns seem to be with what other people will think of you. Try to get in the mindset that it doesn't matter what they think. Some people would look at a couple juggling two crabby young children and a stroller and think, "I would hate such a trip," even though that family is perhaps the "ideal" WDW visitor. Others might see you by yourself and think the same. The thing that matters is what YOU think! Officially, WDW thinks it's awesome that you want to spend your vacation $$ there, and cast members will treat you well!

P.S. I reread your original message, and most of your concerns seem to be with what other people will think of you. Try to get in the mindset that it doesn't matter what they think. Some people would look at a couple juggling two crabby young children and a stroller and think, "I would hate such a trip," even though that family is perhaps the "ideal" WDW visitor. Others might see you by yourself and think the same. The thing that matters is what YOU think! Officially, WDW thinks it's awesome that you want to spend your vacation $$ there, and cast members will treat you well!

Thankyou :)

If someone asks on the airplane why you’re going to Disney alone, tell them that you’re going to spread someone’s ashes throughout the park. Tell them that you’re going to put ashes on all of the popular rides. So they should be careful where they sit. :)

For dining alone, have you eaten at local restaurants on your own before? I can't imagine it being too much different.

I have a solo trip planned for the end of Sept - early Oct and I'm hyped. I think the key here is to go at your own pace, do what you want to do, enjoy yourself, and not worry about what other people think. I'm traveling from Canada, so chances are I'll never see these people again, so why care what they think?

Solo trips are a great chance to enjoy the little moments that sometimes are missed if you are traveling with other people. Having traveled to Disney solo and in a group with 6 other people, I can tell you there is a big difference.

As for sharing the excitement after exiting a ride that you like, you can always comment to a cast member as you are leaving that ride how much you liked it. My very shy daughter did that on several rides she went in for the first time and got great responses from the cast members.

Others have given you great advice and you'll have a lot of fun.

As a solo guest from the UK for over 10 years you will have a great time going solo.
However, you will encounter a small minority of guests who will think it strange to see a solo adult. I used to get offended by people refusing to take a seat next to me on the bus or not standing withing six feet of me in line, I have photographic proof of this happening in the bus line at Pop before anyone contradicts me, but, after a while I can see they are the one with the problem, clearly judging someone without knowing them and even if their bigoted suspicions were correct then that reflects more on them than me, what am I supposed to do, wear a badge saying 'Just so you know, I'm a military war widow'. But that is silly as I'm doing nothing wrong.
Anyway I digress. Go for it, 99%of the time people are AWESOME.

As a solo guest from the UK for over 10 years you will have a great time going solo.
However, you will encounter a small minority of guests who will think it strange to see a solo adult. I used to get offended by people refusing to take a seat next to me on the bus or not standing withing six feet of me in line, I have photographic proof of this happening in the bus line at Pop before anyone contradicts me, but, after a while I can see they are the one with the problem, clearly judging someone without knowing them and even if their bigoted suspicions were correct then that reflects more on them than me, what am I supposed to do, wear a badge saying 'Just so you know, I'm a military war widow'. But that is silly as I'm doing nothing wrong.
Anyway I digress. Go for it, 99%of the time people are AWESOME.

Oh no, that it horrible. I have never encountered any of these situations on my solo trips. I wish people would not sit next to me on the bus LOL. I think some people just give others more personal space and it is nothing to do with you. We don't crowd the people next to us at all and usually leave space in between our groups since it is not like the line will move faster if you are right up against someone.

I'm a solo raveller (from the UK too) since 2014. WDW three times so far with a fourth in November 2020, California once so far with a second this November. I'm 53 and gererally a very nervous solo traveller, but Disney makes it easy. I have anxiety about missing travel connections or being stranded somewhere I'm unfamiliar with, it's better to have an emergency when you're with someone else!

But I absolutely love it! In common with many other posts here, my only awkward moments are table service restaurants. I so want to do these, in Epcot especially, but feel very incongruous on my own. But absolutely no trouble with any of the issues you've raised - solo travelling on flights, on Magical Express, internal transport etc. I've struck up conversations with people, but other time I haven't. I'm introverted by nature so sometimes I don't want to converse, but generally, honestly, no-one else is bothered and I have never had the impression that people are looking at me or gossipping or whatever.

So many advantages. Complete freedom, and no wasting time trying to negotiate and coordinate with other people as to what to do. I love also the feeling of going on an adventure! Although I'm 53, it's still exciting! Even just turning up at Manchester airport and sitting in the departure lounge...I hate airports but if I'm familiar with one and know exactly what I'm doing then I'm fine. And waking up every morning in a Disney...yes, a DISNEY hotel...and knowing the day is all mine...

The only wobble I had was just before one of my trips when the issue blew up over a child being molested while on a ride at WDW. In these boards, I was shocked by the attitude of many "mothers" here in this forum, claiming they will never ever "allow" a single male to sit next to their child, and that they have every right to object to someone who they ride with. I had visions of being shamed and embarrassed on every ride by being asked by the ride attendants to move because I was a single male. I even contacted Disney to get reassurance over this. I just couldn't believe the nastiness and bigotry displayed by American mothers on Disney discussion boards, are they really all like that? But actually., there was no problem, and I sat beside children many times after going through the single rider line on Test Track (it happens naturally because truly caring mothers put their child in the middle seat) and any other ride really. I think the bigots are in a minority. Although the way things are going these days, you just don't know.

I never got the nerve to do a solo trip until I ended up in Orlando for work. There was no way I could be that close to WDW and not at least check it out. So when I was done with work, I took a bus to the TTC and bought a ticket for one. I'm so glad I did... because I had so much fun that I upgraded to an annual pass and vowed to return again for another solo trip.

Since then, I've been back solo about 5 times... and I'll keep going even if others can't join me.

Kudos to you for just going. I've never done 14 days, so if that's a concern, maybe you try your first trip for 7 days... or break it up between Orlando and another destination. But chances are you'll be fine. There's so much you can do, that any fleeting thoughts of loneliness can be replaced by just keeping busy and moving on to your next plan.

I do not mind telling a white lie when I'm on the plane. If I don't feel like telling anyone that I'm solo, I say I'm in Orlando for work or to visit friends (hey- Mickey's a friend, right?), but I'm going to check out the parks while I'm there. Though I don't have to care what they think, I also am not obligated to tell them a true story.

By the way, there are a lot more solo travelers than you might think... you just never notice them just as they never notice you. In addition to people who are there on holiday by themselves, there are convention goers, people who arrived a few days earlier or leaving a few days later than the rest of their group, people who split up and enjoy separate activities, people who are tired and decided to go back to the hotel, etc.. Nobody should care that you're on a bus or monorail or ride by yourself. Also, cast members go into the parks by themselves all the time, before or after their shift.

I just came back from my first solo trip and my advice is to just own it. When you’re out and about, just act confident and content with the fact that you’re solo and it’ll become a self-fulfilling prophecy. People will only get awkward vibes from you if you are projecting them.

I also wanna echo what the other poster said about smiling. Just a quick smile when responding to CMs, making small talk in like, or having a good time on a ride can make a big difference. Smiling makes you more approachable and will make you seem and feel less awkward. And keep in mind tons of people in the parks are the type of people who are on this board and they 100% understand the appeal of a solo trip.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter