So wigs are considered medically necessary but hearing aids are not?

Just to be clear, the insurance company paid a fortune - far more than you will ever pay in premiums - for drugs and therapies that saved your life, and the thing that sticks with you is that they didn't pay a few thousand dollars for your hearing aids? :confused3

Why aren't you guys upset at the price of hearing aids?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Golfgal, where in your policy does it mention wigs? We have Anthem and I can't find it in exclusions, but I can't find it in covered expenses either.:confused3

Just to be clear, the insurance company paid a fortune - far more than you will ever pay in premiums - for drugs and therapies that saved your life, and the thing that sticks with you is that they didn't pay a few thousand dollars for your hearing aids? :confused3

Why aren't you guys upset at the price of hearing aids?

For the record I am Imabrat's mother and I hope you never have to face this with your child.
I was the one who called the insurance company to ask why the hearing aids were denied and their exact words were " she self inflicted her hearing loss because she willingly took chemotherapy " , in other words she could have opted NOT to take chemotherapy but she chose to do it .
To add insult to the injury I was told if she was in an accident , hit her head and lost her hearing they would pay , but because she "self inflicted it " they would not pay. How would you feel if they told you that with your child ?

And yes I did have to quit my job to care for my daughter , the hearing aids were $3,000 and our deductible is $3,000 with 20% coiinsurance after that. Now try to go down one income , quadruple the amount of bills and pay for all that in addition to everything else , you may think $3,000 is not much .....it's a HUGE amount for us !

Heck yes I expect insurance companies to pay , THAT is the reason why we pay them , this is not cosmetic surgery , we did not plan on my daughter getting cancer and they should cover all the problems rising from her treatment.

My child wears Hearing Aids and this annoys me to no end.

I also noticed that Birth Control and Gastric Bypass is covered!

UGH!

It makes me soooo mad that Hearing Aids are not covered. I guess they go with eyeglasses and thus vision care. But I cannot get Hearing aid insurance like you can get Vision!

BC should be covered, its not always used just to prevent pregnacy.

For the record I am Imabrat's mother and I hope you never have to face this with your child.
I was the one who called the insurance company to ask why the hearing aids were denied and their exact words were " she self inflicted her hearing loss because she willingly took chemotherapy " , in other words she could have opted NOT to take chemotherapy but she chose to do it .
To add insult to the injury I was told if she was in an accident , hit her head and lost her hearing they would pay , but because she "self inflicted it " they would not pay. How would you feel if they told you that with your child ?

And yes I did have to quit my job to care for my daughter , the hearing aids were $3,000 and our deductible is $3,000 with 20% coiinsurance after that. Now try to go down one income , quadruple the amount of bills and pay for all that in addition to everything else , you may think $3,000 is not much .....it's a HUGE amount for us !

Heck yes I expect insurance companies to pay , THAT is the reason why we pay them , this is not cosmetic surgery , we did not plan on my daughter getting cancer and they should cover all the problems rising from her treatment.

I want to start off by saying I am sorry for what your dd and you had and continue to go through. I have been deeply effected by cancer and have lost too many loved ones because of it.

As for the insurance paying for all the problems rising from her treatment, why should they have to? Why do you expect them to take responsibilty for those problems, but you do not have to? If you know the risks involved, and know exactly what your insurance company has agreed to pay for then you should be the one assuming the responsbility of those problems if they arise, that is what you agreed to. I'm not saying they are right in your situation, or the OPs, but when you pay them and sign the contract, you are agreeing to the terms of it.

I want to start off by saying I am sorry for what your dd and you had and continue to go through. I have been deeply effected by cancer and have lost too many loved ones because of it.

As for the insurance paying for all the problems rising from her treatment, why should they have to? Why do you expect them to take responsibilty for those problems, but you do not have to? If you know the risks involved, and know exactly what your insurance company has agreed to pay for then you should be the one assuming the responsbility of those problems if they arise, that is what you agreed to. I'm not saying they are right in your situation, or the OPs, but when you pay them and sign the contract, you are agreeing to the terms of it.

Because the alternative was DEATH.

Because she chose to live, she must suffer the consequences of that decision and the only way to live, was to lose her hearing.

Quite the moral dilemma.

My insurance policy will not pay for any elective (nonmedical) cosmetic procedures. And if you elect to do that, they are very clear that they will NOT pay for any treatments for any issues that arise as a direct result of those procedures.

Her daughter didn't decide to get breast augmentation or a face lift or botox. She chose chemotherapy to save her life--a treatment the insurance paid for. They have no business saying that it is an elective procedure by declaring she did it voluntarily. Her daughter had no choice, especially when they would cover it in other circumstances related to involuntary injury resulting in hearing loss.

Because she chose to live, she must suffer the consequences of that decision and the only way to live, was to lose her hearing.

Quite the moral dilemma.

My insurance policy will not pay for any elective (nonmedical) cosmetic procedures. And if you elect to do that, they are very clear that they will NOT pay for any treatments for any issues that arise as a direct result of those procedures.

Her daughter didn't decide to get breast augmentation or a face lift or botox. She chose chemotherapy to save her life--a treatment the insurance paid for. They have no business saying that it is an elective procedure by declaring she did it voluntarily. Her daughter had no choice, especially when they would cover it in other circumstances related to involuntary injury resulting in hearing loss.

Yes actually she did have a choice, I know a few people who have chosen not to go through chemo, and regardless of the outcome one always has a choice. The fact is, they agreed to teh terms of the insurance contract, which I assume was before imabrat was diagnosed and lost her hearing. Therefore they can't expect the insurance company to now be responsible for paying for something, in this case the hearing aide, when they agreed to the insurance company not paying for it according to the terms of that contract. They made the choice, in this case it was to do the chemo and assume ANY financial responsibilty for any problems that arise from it. I'm not saying its right, but thats how it is. This is a lesson for everyone to read the terms of those insurance contracts every year insted of just signing and then expecting they are going to do something because you believe they should.

Yes actually she did have a choice, I know a few people who have chosen not to go through chemo, and regardless of the outcome one always has a choice. The fact is, they agreed to teh terms of the insurance contract, which I assume was before imabrat was diagnosed and lost her hearing. Therefore they can't expect the insurance company to now be responsible for paying for something, in this case the hearing aide, when they agreed to the insurance company not paying for it according to the terms of that contract.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I'm not sure that you understand just how financially tolling having a member of your family battle cancer is. I was 14, I'm 17 now - it's not like I could've gone out and get a job to help pay for treatment. My mom had to quit her job to take care of me, so my dad was never home for my siblings, he was always at work trying to pay for bills. Lowering costs was not an option, if we had chosen a closer, cheaper medical center I would be dead. I know that I worth well over a million dollars medically between chemotherapy, joint replacements due to the cancer, etc. but I do not understand how they can label hearing aids "not medically necessary".

Heck, I would be willing to pay half the price of the hearing aids if the insurance company covered the other half. I don't understand why they don't cover them. This was a decision of saving my life over saving part of my hearing, and I guarantee you anyone here or anyone working for that insurance company would choose the same thing.

:hug:

:hug:

Quite the moral dilemma.

I agree.

So according to you insurance companies should pay for BC because it's not always used to prevent pregnancies but a cancer patient has to take the responsibility to pay for the problems arising from cancer treatment ? Isn't that what you said on your post ? :confused:

Chemo as elective...that's just plain stupid.:headache: The poor child needed it to save her life. It's disgusting that her insurance company didn't cover the hearing aids.

As to the OP. My mom has recently gotten hearing aids. They were't covered under our policy either. We have the same coverage as she's covered through our business. I will tell you, I don't think it mattered as I called our broker looking to switch to another company when its time to renew..and no one covered hearing aids.
That being said..I was very surprised. They really are not a cosmetic or optional item. Mom stopped going out..as she couldn't hear anything that was being said. She also couldn't go to the doctor alone, for AGAIN she couldn't hear what was being said to her. Didn't know how to take medications that were prescribed. If she had a question, she coudn't hear what the pharmacist said. This effected almost every aspect of her life. Even crossing the street...SHE COULDN"T HEAR A CAR that came speeding down the street and nearly hit her when she stepped out to talk to her neighbor. She was 68 and honestly she needed them for a while. Her hearing was just getting worse and worse..due to damage from many ear infections she had when she was a child.

So..I sympathize with your situation. That being said, I would shop around. The first stop for us was her ENT and the audiologist affliliated with them. They were very pricey..some $6,000.00 Then, someone my brother plays golf with recommended another hearing loss chain type of place. Since we already had the results from the ENT..we knew what kind and type of loss she had, and the hearing aids they offered were some $ $2,000 less, and they were the type she was getting at the ENT. Everybody gets a piece of the pie ..so to speak. So if you can shop around, you may be surprised. Not that $4,000 was cheap, but at least it was some type of savings.
Also..too late for us, but we were told after mom had gotten hers that even the Price Club and BJ's offer hearing aids at pretty substantail savings. It never would have occured to me to look into that.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Yes we will, but I want to make it clear that I am not arguing that the insurance company is right in not covering her hearing aide. It should be covered regardless how hearing loss occurred, for anyone who needs one. My issue is that one can't sign a contract and agree to the terms of it and then expect the insurance company to be responsible for things that are not covered under the contract.

So according to you insurance companies should pay for BC because it's not always used to prevent pregnancies but a cancer patient has to take the responsibility to pay for the problems arising from cancer treatment ? Isn't that what you said on your post ? :confused:

No according to me, an insurance company should pay for what they are contractually obligated to do so. IMO, birth control and hearing aides should be covered however if you agreed to the terms of your policy and they aren't, then you are responsible for it, not the insurance company.
Imagine if the insurance company decided not to fulfill the contract, people would be out for blood. Why is that an individual isnt expected to follow the terms of it as well :confused3

Yes we will, but I want to make it clear that I am not arguing that the insurance company is right in not covering her hearing aide. It should be covered regardless how hearing loss occurred, for anyone who needs one. My issue is that one can't sign a contract and agree to the terms of it and then expect the insurance company to be responsible for things that are not covered under the contract.

Do you think it is clear from the contract that chemo is considered a "voluntary" procedure? when I think voluntary, I think nose job, not chemo. :confused3

Do you think it is clear from the contract that chemo is considered a "voluntary" procedure? when I think voluntary, I think nose job, not chemo. :confused3

I have no idea but voluntary does not mean the same as medically unnecessary, or cosmetic. So to me voluntary means I willingly have a procedure or treatment and yes that does include chemo as well as a nose job, however a nose job would fall under the category of unnecessary, or cosmetic. I couldn't possible know what it said in their contract, but if the insurance company is saying its not covered for that reason, I'm sure its in the terms, and I would hope that imabrats mother (sorry I forget your name) made darn sure it did state that, and if it didn't then fight it.

No according to me, an insurance company should pay for what they are contractually obligated to do so. IMO, birth control and hearing aides should be covered however if you agreed to the terms of your policy and they aren't, then you are responsible for it, not the insurance company.
Imagine if the insurance company decided not to fulfill the contract, people would be out for blood. Why is that an individual isnt expected to follow the terms of it as well :confused3

When the insurance company shows you documentation they give you a general idea of what is covered or not but not a break down. Looking at my benefits book that we received weeks after enrolling hearing aids are covered but only under certain circumstances that are not disclosed.
Funny thing is they denied the first pair of hearing aids and fortunately the state paid for it because she was a minor but our insurance did pay for the second set after the doctors insisted as to the reasons why she needed them . She has lost all high frequency hearing , and 80% hearing on one ear and 40% on the other.

So to me voluntary means I willingly have a procedure or treatment and yes that does include chemo as well as a nose job

My daughter DID NOT chose to get cancer , I don't know of ANY cancer patient that chose to get cancer , but I know many who chose to get a nose job or a tummy tuck because it makes them feel better . You are comparing apples to bananas.

Chemo as "voluntary" makes no sense to me. Let's say I have a burst appendix and I "voluntarily" go in for surgery. While in the hospital, recovering, I get an infection. Can my insurance refuse to pay anything having to do with the infection because I went to the hospital "voluntarily"? Really when dying is the only other choice, there is nothing "voluntary" about it.

I've been reading this and am finding it interesting. Yes, some things are covered by insurance that make you go :confused3 and things that are not covered make you go :confused3:confused3.

First thing you need to look at is how is the insurance funded? Is it fully funded or self funded? If it is self funded than it is your employer who sat down with the insurance company and decided what should be covered and how. I work for insurance and I see plans that cover everything..and then plans that I think totally stink and the members are being screwed over big time.

I was amazed at how many plans don't cover hearing aids or if they do there is a limit on how much is paid which usually covers about half the cost.

One thing I suggest to members on a regular basis is if you are told something is not covered then do a pre-service appeal. If that fails, then do a second and a third if needed. Call your insurance and see who does the second level appeal...a lot of ours have the second appeal going directly to the employer and if the employer tells us to cover it as an exception we will..because our plans are almost all self funded.

Olga..if I was you that is just what I would be doing. Exceptions are made all the time.

Also, on the subject of gastric bypass, I don't see a lot of plans that cover that and if they do they have to show a lot of proof that other methods of weight loss have been tried and failed...usually 5 years worth of medical records are looked at, they also have to have very high BMI and if it is a bit lower than they have to have co-morbidies such as diabetes, heart disease etc. They have to jump through hoops to get approved.

Birth control and viagra? yeah, they are covered and I have seen meds not covered, but again doing an appeal is the way to go.

When the insurance company shows you documentation they give you a general idea of what is covered or not but not a break down. Looking at my benefits book that we received weeks after enrolling hearing aids are covered but only under certain circumstances that are not disclosed.
Funny thing is they denied the first pair of hearing aids and fortunately the state paid for it because she was a minor but our insurance did pay for the second set after the doctors insisted as to the reasons why she needed them . She has lost all high frequency hearing , and 80% hearing on one ear and 40% on the other.

If it isn't fully disclosed then you should be able to fight it, I'm in no way saying that you dont have that right or shouldn't. If there is a loophole then do all you can to find it, I know I would too.
I don't mean to sound cold, my heart goes out to you and your dd, its easy for me to sit here and look at the situation without an emotional attachment but I hope that things work out for you, I really do.

Nancy I do appeal their decissions when I know it's unfair. Like you said the contract was signed by the employer not the employees.
Policies have many loopholes , usually working to their advantage and they deny the claims with the hope that the patients will not fight it , but they are messing with the wrong person with me , I will fight tooth and nail. They tell you many times that they decide if they will pay for something on a case by case basis.....not giving anyone a clear answer.

I won't get into a debate over insurance covering this or that but just because you don't need does not mean someone else does not.

And that really goes to the heart of it, doesn't it?

I am peeved that homeopathic remedies can't be purchased with my flex plan anymore. To me, they are extremely needed and VERY helpful (well, probably to all, but most won't give them a chance). But to others, the ones in charge, they aren't deemed necessary. So I'll continue to take them and will almost never go see an MD, so all the money paid towards my premiums will go to other people and I'll just continue on.

In his 20s, hubby had a benign-but-fast-growing brain tumor, the diagnosing MDs "gave him" 6 months to live without radiation. He looked up what the radiation might do to his life, and opted out. Wowie did the stuff hit the fan! He was threatened with commitment because he was obviously trying to kill himself. He had to get an attorney on retainer to protect himself. He then had to pay for EVERYTHING that he did do out of pocket. Insurance won't cover a macrobiotic diet, they won't cover all the supplements he took, nor would they cover the hyperbaric chamber treatments he had. Oh wait, I think they paid for the MRIs he had throughout that year, as the tumor SHRANK and went away entirely, without a bit of radiation. But that's it. Insurance didn't have to pay a million dollars for the MD treatment. So to HIM, organic oranges and carrots and wheatgrass SHOULD BE covered by insurance. But to those in charge, it's MD-treatment only, and everything else is out of pocket. Including the lawyer's fees.

It's all based on what you use. What your feelings are. What happens to you. etc. There's no one basic way of looking at what insurance should cover or not.

It doesn't go away when the hearing does????
How fair is that???? Grrr...wish there was a way to fix THAT. I feel like I'm listening to the tv emergency broadcast signal (old one) 24/7.

From what I've read, the main thing to do is working on ways to ignore it. Guess what...that's not paid for by insurance. And the only person doing that work in my area is a state away. :headache:

The American health-care system is horribly broken. I just don't see hearing aids as "health-care" any more than Viagra. They should both be taken off the "list", IMO.

That's just like what I was talking about above. And what someone said to you later. You are glad that your wife's pump is covered. When it's not *necessary*. Helpful, but not vital.

For me, I'm SO glad I finally found an "out there" chiropractor who will also be a preferred provider and bill Aetna. I can finally USE my benefits!

While I *personally* believe that birth control is fairly evil and causes FAR more negatives than positives (doesn't even keep diseases away, but show me a plan that covers condoms!) and the problems won't crop up for years and years...others feel that BC is helpful.

And I'm even on the fence with viagra. I've talked a lot about how hubby *now* has a prolactinoma, a pituitary tumor that causes prolactin to be created (NOT related to the tumor in his 20s according to his endocrinologist, but honestly I think all the kicks to the head from tae kwon do and football caused had something to do with BOTH of them, and so does he). That's the milk hormone, and it will mess up the guy hormones. His endo was astonished by the fact that hubby and I were still able to "try" to have another baby, that's how low his male hormones were.

Thinking back, as hubby takes a pill each week to slooooowly shrink that tumor, to the years before that was diagnosed, thinking back on the problems that were happening, we can SEE, we can know and feel, first hand, how horrible it is when a man has a problem in the realm of viagra.

Those problems are body-problems...and body-problems are generally helped out with insurance paying. That particular drug woudln't have been indicated for hubby, because the hormones were the problem, but it does give a glimpse into the life of someone who needs it.

In our case, the effects of the pituitary tumor caused the need for male hormones. He could have been given just testosterone, but the endocrinologist didn't want to use that, as it would have caused TOTAL infertility during the course of treatment. So he would have FELT better, but he would have had a second diagnosable problem. Instead, he's on HCG. With our insurance, HCG isn't covered normally, but this is the only alternative that wouldn't cover MORE problems, so our insurance agreed.

To someone else...HCG, isn't that the stuff that baseball players take? Why is insurance covering it? Because it's a diagnosable problem, and it's what will help, without causing a bigger problem.

Our perception is all based on what is important to the person at the time.

So all we really can do is go with what our insurance says, or switch insurances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter