Snow White's Scary Adventure Closure

Curious as to when this will close. Would love to get one last ride on it in late March. I feel like the number of MK attractions is seriously shrinking for our trip!! But of course there's still tons to do!

Amazing, thousands of threads a year about favorite rides, top 3, top 10, etc and Snow barely gets a mention, but yet now Disney announces they are scrapping the ride and putting in something new and shiny with a Snow White theme and people here get out the pitchforks and fire up the torches.

I am glad for the change, Disney needs to update many attractions 'classic' or not. SWSA was in bad need of a refurb and the while it is cute the dark ride with primitive technology was in need of an update to stay relevant to what customers want in this day and time.

Joni Mitchell covered this in "Big Yellow Taxi". It's a human response. I don't find it amazing, I find it completely understandable. I don't need statistics or lists to prove or disprove an opinion. We're not talking facts. We're talking emotions. Sometimes, in discussions about art, that is all the justification required.

Joni Mitchell covered this in "Big Yellow Taxi". It's a human response. I don't find it amazing, I find it completely understandable. I don't need statistics or lists to prove or disprove an opinion. We're not talking facts. We're talking emotions. Sometimes, in discussions about art, that is all the justification required.
"They kicked out Snow White,
Put in a Princess Meet":)(la,la,la,la)

Joni Mitchell was way before my time, I googled her.

And I think some people just like to have something to complain about to hear themselves talk.

:thumbsup2 I agree 100%. Even though I haven't been to Disney in almost 6 years, I remember all the rides as though I went on them yesterday. I am NOT happy with this closure. :mad:

Let’s see now.
Mission to the Moon-gone. Nobody seems to care.
If You Had Wings-gone. People seem to prefer Buzz Lightyear.
Monsanto’s Circle Vision 360-gone. Nobody seems to miss it.
Davy Crockett’s Canoes-gone. OK. I miss that one. But not that much.
Skyway to Tomorrowland. (Or was it Skyway to Fantasyland)-gone. No loss. Hated the way it ruined the magic by giving you a bird’s eye view of parking lots and staging areas that the Imagineer’s never really intended you to have.
The Mickey Mouse Review-gone. People seem to prefer Philharmagic.
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride-gone. Many miss it. But let’s face it. There isn’t a 5 year old alive who knows who the heck Mr. Toad is/was nor can they name the story from whence he came. And they all prefer Pooh.
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea-gone. That’s a loss, but it is understandable why they couldn’t keep that ride viable. No way to make it ADA compliant and it was a literal sink hole in terms of maintenance.
Main Street Cinema-gone. No one misses it.

The point here is that there have been many, many changes from the MK’s original configuration. The vast majority have been for the better. Just because something made the cut in 1971 doesn’t mean that it was perfect. Or, frankly, even good. I am anxious to see what today’s Imagineer’s have in store. I’ve long since tired of the silly witch and her apple and my kid thinks the ride is a total joke. She is not alone.

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride-gone. Many miss it. But let’s face it. There isn’t a 5 year old alive who knows who the heck Mr. Toad is/was nor can they name the story from whence he came. And they all prefer Pooh.

I'm 34 and as far as I can remember, I've never seen The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (although I have seen the Ichabod part...). My 14 year old and 10 year old haven't either.

I can tell that I've finally arrived as a full-fledged DISer!

I've inspired one of Sassy's signature lines! ;)

Yes, it'll be changed within a week or so, but still! :woohoo:

Honestly, that rotation thing is AWFUL...

At Disneyland, home of Sleeping Beauty castle, the ONLY way to be sure of seeing Sleeping Beauty, would be to book a meal at Ariel's Grotto over at DCA.

Actually, that's not even true. I got home and checked my pictures before posting to be sure. Sleeping Beauty was not at Ariel's Grotto when we ate there last summer. We got Ariel (of course), Snow White, Cinderella, Pochahontas, and Belle (yellow dress, not blue like CRT). We did run into Sleeping Beauty at dinner at Goofy's kitchen at the Disneyland hotel, but I don't think there is any guarantee if you book that one she will be there either. So there really isn't any way at DL to guarantee you will see Sleeping Beauty because of their horrible Princess meet and greet area rotation.

JimmyV as far as 20,000 Leagues under the sea, they still have it at DL rethemed as Nemo, and it is wonderful! So it isn't impractical, they just tore it up at WDW before they got the Nemo opportunity. I'm guessing someone is still kicking themselves for that one because Nemo with subs is so much better than the clamshell at Epcot. My DD (4) knows exactly who Mr. Toad is and his story (thanks to the classic children's book)- in fact, as we were riding Pooh at WDW last month, she pointed to his picture on the wall and yelled out "Hey, there's Mr. Toad". (Of course, she has also ridden Mr. Toad at DL, which she is not exactly fond of.) And I do miss If You Had Wings and the Main Street Cinema!

My son is 6 and just this year we rented the story from the library (movie, rather), and he really liked it. So no, not 5, but not that far off, and it's still in the library for any child to become aware of it! I have high hopes that seeing it will help him ride the Disneyland version next time we go back.

I know one of the reasons stated by Disney on the KTTK Tour for removing Mr. Toad was that most people don't know anything about Mr. Toad and can't name any other characters from the movie. I wanted to ask on the tour couldn't the same thing be said about Splash Mountain? I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the people riding Splash Mountain have seen Song of the South.

Let’s see now.
Davy Crockett’s Canoes-gone. OK. I miss that one. But not that much.
Miss!

Skyway to Tomorrowland. (Or was it Skyway to Fantasyland)-gone. No loss. Hated the way it ruined the magic by giving you a bird’s eye view of parking lots and staging areas that the Imagineer’s never really intended you to have.
This was a fun way to get from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland. It would be one thing if there was a train stop in Tomorrowland, but there's not. I actually really miss this one.

The only Pooh Bear kids know now is from My Friends Tigger and Pooh that was recently shelved. The Pooh ride is poo. It doesn't do the movies and shorts justice and it's a poorly executed dark ride. My 4 year old knows Toad and the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad are still readily found in the media, however he has no idea who Kanga and Owl are.

Main Street Cinema-gone. No one misses it.
Again, a miss-er here. They basically replaced the cinema in the back of the old Exposition Hall anyway. It was a great place to go relax in the A/C and catch old shorts. Since that's been razed, they can put the cinema back IMO.

The point here is that there have been many, many changes from the MK’s original configuration. The vast majority have been for the better. Just because something made the cut in 1971 doesn’t mean that it was perfect. Or, frankly, even good. I am anxious to see what today’s Imagineer’s have in store. I’ve long since tired of the silly witch and her apple and my kid thinks the ride is a total joke. She is not alone.
We all know that the Disney parks will never be finished, but the thing that has most people in a stink is that this is a massive project and a lot of things are changing from a classic place. There are several other rides that need to get the boot before the "silly witch" and with as much creativity and interest in fairy tales, many different things could have happened before this.

I know one of the reasons stated by Disney on the KTTK Tour for removing Mr. Toad was that most people don't know anything about Mr. Toad and can't name any other characters from the movie. I wanted to ask on the tour couldn't the same thing be said about Splash Mountain? I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the people riding Splash Mountain have seen Song of the South.
bowing-036.gif
Well said!

At least Toad and Ichabod were put in tape/DVD... Song of the South was NEVER released in the States!

Actually, that's not even true. I got home and checked my pictures before posting to be sure. Sleeping Beauty was not at Ariel's Grotto when we ate there last summer. We got Ariel (of course), Snow White, Cinderella, Pochahontas, and Belle (yellow dress, not blue like CRT). We did run into Sleeping Beauty at dinner at Goofy's kitchen at the Disneyland hotel, but I don't think there is any guarantee if you book that one she will be there either. So there really isn't any way at DL to guarantee you will see Sleeping Beauty because of their horrible Princess meet and greet area rotation.

UGGH!! We've only been to AG a couple of times and it was the same rotation both times. How pathetic that her castle is right there in the center of the park, and yet you could have spent your ENTIRE trip trying to see her. I sure hope that's not what happens with the new setup in Fantasyland!

JimmyV as far as 20,000 Leagues under the sea, they still have it at DL rethemed as Nemo, and it is wonderful! So it isn't impractical, they just tore it up at WDW before they got the Nemo opportunity. I'm guessing someone is still kicking themselves for that one because Nemo with subs is so much better than the clamshell at Epcot.

I absolutely agree here! We just missed the opening of the new Nemo ride at DL in 07 (By one day!) but finally got to do it this past summer! After having done the one at Epcot, I was sort of like.... eh... whatever.... either we do it or we don't ....... but it snuck right up and surprised me with its charm. Cute little ride. And a VERY recent endeavor from Disney.

I 100% agree with this. DD's (4) only interest in Dumbo is that it is right in the middle of Fantasyland. She much prefers Aladdin's Magic Carpets as far as the ride itself. For those who talk about Snow White being a dated movie (which personally I think it is an absolute classic and DD loves it), try Dumbo. I'm sure there are someone's kids on here who love Dumbo, but I haven't known a kid that was very interested in the movie or the character himself. DD would much rather fly on a magic carpet. DD isn't even interested in riding Triceratop spin (she deems it "stupid because Triceratops don't fly"). I really think that with Dumbo moved out of the center of Fantasyland, she is not really going to be interested in riding it anymore. I know that it will lose the allure for me. It is going from a time tested WDW classic, to just another amusement park ride.

This discussion reminded my of this photo I took from Dumbo's loading platform in 2009. My ode to Dumbo:

dumbofireworksresize.jpg

Amazing, thousands of threads a year about favorite rides, top 3, top 10, etc and Snow barely gets a mention, but yet now Disney announces they are scrapping the ride and putting in something new and shiny with a Snow White theme and people here get out the pitchforks and fire up the torches.

I got my lynching rope and my 6 gun ready :lmao:
(To be politically correct I really don't have a lynching rope or a gun of any type :thumbsup2)

We were in WDW again back in November, went to MK twice. The first time we rode Snow White, and afterwards all just said "you know, that ride really isn't very good." The second time we skipped it entirely. I really won't miss it. You can't say they're doing this because people aren't familiar with Snow White if they are building a Snow White-themed coaster instead. It's just a bad ride. Kids find it scary, adults find it boring. (Putting up my pitch fork shield, too. :) )

This discussion reminded my of this photo I took from Dumbo's loading platform in 2009. My ode to Dumbo:

The thought of the imminent loss of what you captured in that picture just about brought tears to my eyes. Absolutely gorgeous picture! Disney is insane! It feels like they have some youngsters working there with no concept or understanding of the depth of what makes Dumbo special. (No offense to any "youngsters" on the boards!)

This is a good point EXCEPT Splash Mountain has more than just the story. There's the hill, heck the multiple hills, which make the ride more likable. And while Song of the South was not ever released here, it was in story books. I remember Tar Baby being in a large Disney storybook collection from when I was a little girl.

The second time I went to WDW I was 10, and Splash Mountain had just opened. I rode Splash Mountain, not really knowing the characters but walked off wanting to ride again and again. I rode Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and was just confused, and didn't ever feel the need to ride it again.

Nostalgia goggles are powerful things. More times than not we don't want to let go of things that we find nostalgic and remember them as being better than what they really are. I've said before I see no problem with taking out Snow White's Scary Adventures and I stand by that. Disney doesn't make these decisions lightly, but they will NEVER be able to please everyone. But some of the attitudes I've seen are just so weird to me. There's been absolute vitriol over the removal of this ride! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter