Sloan takes over the world! Our pre-WISH-trip report! (Dream Factory)

We've had our going away party and gotten all our confirmation numbers. We'll be getting our expense check in about a week. Now we're into the planning of it all. We be arriving at GKTW in exactly 12 days almost down to the exact hour! So far all I know is what day we're going to Epcot and Holywood Studios.

For now, I think I have it all planned out. Of course this is subject to change. We will be landing in Orlando around 11 am on Saturday. I figure by the time we get our luggage and our rental car it will be around 12:30 by the time we get to GKTW. More than likely though, we will stop at the giant McDonald's for lunch on the way there. So, more than likely arrive at GKTW around 1:30. I'm hoping they have an afternoon orientation that day. If so, we'll probably go to Downtown Disney that evening. If not, we'll take it easy and explore everything at the village and DH will take the kids to Mayor Clayon's birthday party that evening while I'm in orinetation. I'll be making a Wal-Mart run at some point or another that day also.

Sunday, the 24th, we'll get up and head to Epcot. There are only a handful of things we are going to do there so I figure we'll be out within 3 hours or so. We'll head back to the village for lunch. We might stop in for Twinkle Hope's Tea Party, too. (Has anyone went to this? How was it?) Then it's off to Hollywood Studios for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Fantasmic is that night, so they are open later. We're not going to watch Fantasmic, but are going to take advantage of everyone else doing so while we keep on riding rides! Honestly, there are only a few things we are doing here as well, so we might be done before then, but just in case.... If we do get done early on, back the the village for dinner and off to Downtown Disney it is.

Monday we'll go see the Disney characters bright and early there at the village. I'm thinking we will go to Sea World that day. I want the kids to see the Discovery Cove animal thing that evening and going to Sea World that day will be our best shot at that. If we get any down time, we'll probably run over to Downtown Disney for a bit. (See a theme here? Obviously we won't go to DTD every night, but hopefully we will get there at least once. I figure if I schedule it in 3 or 4 times surely we will make it one of those times!)

Tuesday is DH and I's 8th anniversary! What better place to spend it at than Magic Kingdom! We're going to probably see the Nick characters that morning at GKTW and then head over to MK where we will stay, I'm sure until close. I forsee a trip to the lounge for a little rest (unless Cambell will sleep in the stroller) but other than that it will be a long day.

Wednesday we're going to go to Animal Kingdon. I figure we will be there most of the day. Depending on when we get out of there, we might go back to village to grab a bite to eat. Then it's off to Magic Kingdom for Spectro and Wishes.

Thursday will be our last full day. We will go to Universal/IOA. There isn't a ton we are going to do there so I'm hoping to make it back to the village for all the Christmas happenings that evening. I'll be up late that night packing.

Friday morning we'll be up and exploring the village one last time. After an early lunch we'll head back to the airport. Our flight leaves at 3:15.

I would love to be at Magic Kingdom our last day there, but then we wouldn't be able to be there for our anniversary. The only other way was if we swapped Sunday with Thursday and had time left after Hollywood Studios to head over to Magic Kingdom and watch the fireworks one last time. Ahhh...I don't know. Help...please!!

I don't want our days to be too structured. I just want to kind of have a plan, but nothing set in stone. We were there during free dining when we took Ireland and we spent half our time running from one place to the next. We want this trip to be relaxed, but still be able to get what we want done. I have a list of our must do attractions and then our if we have time attractions. Maybe if I shared that it would help more?

Ashley, I think your schedule looks great! I wouldn't swap Sun for Thurs..from what I've read the Christmas party at GKTW is absolutely spectacular and not to be missed. If anything I'd swap Wed and Thurs..AK closes at 5 pm anyway, so you'd get back to the village in plenty of time, then if you wanted to duck out of the party you could go hit the fireworks at MK. I don't know if Spectro also plays on Wed though. Isn't it fun figuring all this out? LOL. You're probably best off leaving things the way they are. I have read you can see the fireworks from the beach at Poly..that may be a way to see them Thurs night without needing to get into a park? Maybe Maroo will chime in when she gets home!

Sounds good to me. I'm obsessing over details that probably won't make too much impact. Like EMH, and fireworks, and crowd levels. I still have three months, so I guess I have time to worry. :lmao: How fun to celebrate your anniversary there. Make sure you put it on your reservation.

Your plans look wonderful! I think Im overplanning and most of it will go out the window once were there. Definetley an amazing way to spend your anniversary!

I've been pondering on how to safely take our stroller with us. A bag it will fit in would be $30 so we're trying to avoid that. I read something on another thread where she wrapped the handles in bubble wrap and then packing tape. I was thinking of doing that on the handles and wheels and then maybe putting it in a trash bag to protect the fabric as well. (We will be gate checking it.) Do you think that would work? If not, do you have any other suggestions. We have a Maclaren double stroller. We got a great deal on it so didn't pay retail for it, but we don't want to have to buy another one either.

Hi Ashley!!

Your itinerary looks great!!! :goodvibes You must be so excited its almost here!!!:cool1:

We gate checked Brigitte's Wheelchair Stroller the last time we went and had some minor issues with it. From all the bumping around in the belly of the plane, some of the screws in her footplates came loose. We were able to fix it, but my husband is going to pack a screwdriver this time just in case. I did make it a point to tell the people at the counter that it was a VERY expensive stroller and would be pretty upset if anything had happened to it (we just had gotten in the week prior). The were able to tag it with a special card and also had me fill out an "insurance" tag that was on it explaining the condition it was in etc when they took it from us just in case. I am a little nervous again this time taking it, but she LOVES her chair....I have also thought about renting one when we are down there. I don't know the name off the top of my head, but there is a place that rents special needs strollers. I am sure someone will chime in with the name. Just another option for you!!!

Can't wait to hear how your trip goes!! Have a BLAST!!!!

We have gate-checked strollers and the wheelchair many, many times and never had anything significant happen to it. I'd say "anything" happen to it, but I don't remember, so maybe there was a scratch or something came off that could go back on, I don't know. It certainly could happen though. Will you be using the stroller in the airport and then fold it up at the gate? I guess if you're early enough to bubble wrap it, etc, then you could try it. Might want to stick with clear so that the employees don't get nervous when you hand them a big trashbag to go under the plane!
I have heard Orlando Stroller Rentals is good and delivers. I believe they have the wheelchair style stroller as well as others.

We gate checked our double stroller each leg of our flight and it did not have any problems. The only problem we encountered is that the lack of air pressure under the plane deflated our tires a little as it is a jogging stroller and the tires use air. Disney let us use one of their air pumps and we were back up and running. Good luck with your decision on what to do with the stroller. :wizard:

Gah!!! :confused3 I don't know what I am going to do about the stroller situation. I asked some moms on another board I am on and no one really thought it was a good idea or even that it would work. It seems what usually gets messed up is the anwning thing and the fabric. I really really don't want anything on it to get messed up. We've really got to have a stroller to get through the airport though. If we didn't have to have it at the airport I would just rent one when we get there so we were not risking anything. I can't imagine getting a 2 and 3 year old through the airport when our hands are full of bags and a 6 year olds hand though. Fun fun....

Think I could just use the bubble wrap on the kids? Maybe one of those luggage carts would be near by... :rolleyes: :laughing:

Speaking of luggage carts...

When we land in Orlando, will there be luggage carts available when we get off the plane? I know we will have a long walk including riding over to the other side. We will be hauling 2 large car seats so we will have to have one. No way can we get them through the airport without one.

If there is one there, we could probably just rent 2 and put the kids on one (minus the bubble wrap I joked about of course ;) ) and the carseats and bags on another. Hmmmm....

I tell you...I'm going to need some strong drugs to make it through the airport. I'm honestly dreading it. I so wish we had someone else going with us. We (the adults) are out numbered and in a place that big and busy that is sooo not a good thing.

You will have to get your stuff from the airport gate to the "monorail" that they have in the Orlando airport.

Once you get off the monorail and out of the secure area - there should be a GKTW Greeter there to greet you.

And they will be a great help in getting your luggage and helping you corral the kids. :) They will help take care of ya once you get to the public area.

The Orlando is not terribly big...It isn't like Atlanta or any of the huge ones. If you are concerned about the crowds...you might want to hang back a bit after the plane lands and let the plane full of people get ahead and then walk - you should be fine getting off.

Don't worry too much. I found that most of the things I worried most about were fine. :)

You will have to get your stuff from the airport gate to the "monorail" that they have in the Orlando airport.

Once you get off the monorail and out of the secure area - there should be a GKTW Greeter there to greet you.

And they will be a great help in getting your luggage and helping you corral the kids. :) They will help take care of ya once you get to the public area.

The Orlando is not terribly big...It isn't like Atlanta or any of the huge ones. If you are concerned about the crowds...you might want to hang back a bit after the plane lands and let the plane full of people get ahead and then walk - you should be fine getting off.

Don't worry too much. I found that most of the things I worried most about were fine. :)

Are you serious? :eek: If that's the case, we're in trouble. There is no way! It was going to take all of our hands to get the kids and everything through the airport with a luggage cart. It won't happen without one. We will have a double stroller with the kids in it, 2 Britax Marathon car seats (those things are heavy and bulky) and a several carry on bags. No way can we manage that without a a cart. Oh gosh I need to go to the doctor and get some drugs. This whole airport deal is going to put me over the edge. :guilty:

Maybe I missed something. Are you checking your car seats or bringing them on board so the kids can use them on the plane? We checked our two car seats because I don't mind having the kids in a regular seat on the plane (even when we flew when Matty was 2 we didn't bring the seat on the plane) but I know everyone is different re: that matter. Going from the plane to the luggage carousel (sp?) you are going to be on your own I think. The carts aren't available until you get to baggage claim. Could be tricky. I'd call the airline and see what they would recommend.

Pamela:santa:

Matty's Wish Trip PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

Matty's Wish Trip TR "Mom, Dad, 3 Kids, and a Gingerbread Boy" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356739

Maybe I missed something. Are you checking your car seats or bringing them on board so the kids can use them on the plane? We checked our two car seats because I don't mind having the kids in a regular seat on the plane (even when we flew when Matty was 2 we didn't bring the seat on the plane) but I know everyone is different re: that matter. Going from the plane to the luggage carousel (sp?) you are going to be on your own I think. The carts aren't available until you get to baggage claim. Could be tricky. I'd call the airline and see what they would recommend.

Pamela:santa:

Matty's Wish Trip PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

Matty's Wish Trip TR "Mom, Dad, 3 Kids, and a Gingerbread Boy" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356739

We are not checking the seats, we are using them on the plane. I've talked to a car seat tech who in no way recomended checking them.

Well, after finding out less characters are out at DHS on Fantasmic days, it looks like I'm going to be changing our schedule around a bit. I'm not sure how yet. I'm hoping to work on that sometime today. But first, I have to go shopping. DH's not too happy that I'm running off today when he's only home until morning, but it's really my last day I can get anything done (errands wise) so he'll get over it. ;)

On another topic...my brother called me last night and told me I wasn't going to be happy and then proceeded to tell me to go to the WDW info website. (He checks it like the news! :rotfl: We're a Disney loving family, what can I say!) He was right, I'm not very happy. That stupid stupid crane is going to mess up our castle pics next week. :sad2: Even if the crane is down by then, the scrim will be up. :sad1: Then all the water ways are drained, too. If you've seen the pictures posted, it looks pretty crummy and sad. Great... I know we will still have a great trip, but it's still sad to me.

Well, after finding out less characters are out at DHS on Fantasmic days, it looks like I'm going to be changing our schedule around a bit. I'm not sure how yet. I'm hoping to work on that sometime today. But first, I have to go shopping. DH's not too happy that I'm running off today when he's only home until morning, but it's really my last day I can get anything done (errands wise) so he'll get over it. ;)

On another topic...my brother called me last night and told me I wasn't going to be happy and then proceeded to tell me to go to the WDW info website. (He checks it like the news! :rotfl: We're a Disney loving family, what can I say!) He was right, I'm not very happy. That stupid stupid crane is going to mess up our castle pics next week. :sad2: Even if the crane is down by then, the scrim will be up. :sad1: Then all the water ways are drained, too. If you've seen the pictures posted, it looks pretty crummy and sad. Great... I know we will still have a great trip, but it's still sad to me.

Good luck with the schedule changes!

What is the crane up for? Any idea when it will be down? Is there any way to get creative with the pictures in an effort to leave the crane/scrim out? Like shooting from a different angle or something? I hope you'll find a way around it. I would be disappointed, too. I think I'm going to want our castle pictures at all costs.

We are not checking the seats, we are using them on the plane. I've talked to a car seat tech who in no way recomended checking them.

Really? Why? IDK our car seats are pretty basic; no frills, I can't imagine they could treat them any worse than my children do on a regular basis:rotfl: So would that car seat tech recommend that people always bring their car seats ON the plane? YIKES that starts to become a logistical nightmare for a larger family.

Hi Ashley!!

Your itinerary looks great!!! :goodvibes You must be so excited its almost here!!!:cool1:

We gate checked Brigitte's Wheelchair Stroller the last time we went and had some minor issues with it. From all the bumping around in the belly of the plane, some of the screws in her footplates came loose. We were able to fix it, but my husband is going to pack a screwdriver this time just in case. I did make it a point to tell the people at the counter that it was a VERY expensive stroller and would be pretty upset if anything had happened to it (we just had gotten in the week prior). The were able to tag it with a special card and also had me fill out an "insurance" tag that was on it explaining the condition it was in etc when they took it from us just in case. I am a little nervous again this time taking it, but she LOVES her chair....I have also thought about renting one when we are down there. I don't know the name off the top of my head, but there is a place that rents special needs strollers. I am sure someone will chime in with the name. Just another option for you!!!

Can't wait to hear how your trip goes!! Have a BLAST!!!!
We have also had screws and bolts come loose on DD's wheelchair. We check it before getting on the plane and again after we get off. We travel with a tool kit including allen wrenches, screwdrivers, etc to fix the chair. We packed it in our checked luggage until our tool kit got stolen once:eek:
Now we bring it in carry on. The TSA people are fine with it once they see we have the wheelchair that goes along with the tool kit.

Click on the link in my signature to get to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post #2 of that thread has information and links about renting special needs strollers. Just scroll on down past the wheelchair and ECv stuff.
We gate checked our double stroller each leg of our flight and it did not have any problems. The only problem we encountered is that the lack of air pressure under the plane deflated our tires a little as it is a jogging stroller and the tires use air. Disney let us use one of their air pumps and we were back up and running. Good luck with your decision on what to do with the stroller. :wizard:
If you need air in your tires, they can lend you a pump where bikes are rented at the resorts. Not sure if they have them at the wheelchair/stroller renting area because I think all of the park rental ones have solid tires.

Really? Why? IDK our car seats are pretty basic; no frills, I can't imagine they could treat them any worse than my children do on a regular basis:rotfl: So would that car seat tech recommend that people always bring their car seats ON the plane? YIKES that starts to become a logistical nightmare for a larger family.

If they were to toss them into the plane of if they shifted around a lot during the flight, landing, etc (which both are quite possible) then it would be the same as if they were involved in a wreck. I'm not willing to take that risk. There are so many different things that can compromise the integrity of a car seat. Yes, she recomends everyone take their car seat on the plane and not to check it. She even recomended a backless booster for my oldest DD for the week instead of using a high back and having to check it. (we can put a backless in the overhead compartment) Normally at DD's age and size, she would need to be in a high back, but in this case, the benefits out weighed the risks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter