Show me: your black/white or sepia photos

these are really beautiful....there is just something about B& W that color just does not do imo

so..sigh...
any tips on digital b&W? what is it that gives them such a fantastic richness of tone? processing? using b&w mode in camera?

i enjoyed using b&w film but the few i've tried playing a little with the "in camera b& w mode" have been "ech" and i can't figure out how to do it with the arcsoft stuff...i think there has to be a way but i can't seem to find it in the search...

sorry guess i should have really started another thread

jann1033 said:
...sorry guess i should have really started another thread

No... it's cool. I'd welcome the tips, too, if anyone has any. :)

3252-olmsted-scrapbook.jpg

jann1033 said:
...any tips on digital b&W? what is it that gives them such a fantastic richness of tone? processing? using b&w mode in camera?

definitely do no use the in camera b&w mode. different b&w films and papers have different characteristics - they are much warmer than a picture with no colour. the greys have subtle brown, blue, and red tones. if you were to take a photo and completely desaturate or choose 'make greyscale' in your photo program of choice, you would find the image looks completely dull, a bit harsh, and not like a b&w photo at all. different b&w films also tend to respond to light wavelengths differently than other films - so they might be more sensitive to greens or reds. within your photo program, you can increase or decrease each of the RGB channels to accentuate what you're taking - depending on if the subject is a person, landscape, building, etc.

also, b&w film has a much higher contrast ratio so you will see lots of darks, shadow detail, various mids, and highs that aren't blown.

if you are a photoshop user, there are lots of actions that are available which are very good. but you can experiment yourself to find the look that you want.

if you are printing b&w shots at a lab - make sure you tell them not to use their b&w modes as they completely desaturate the photos.

Jann, as you know, I'm a lazy ****, so I just get Alienskin Exposure as my starting point (there are tons of B&W film emulation) and play around from that starting point.

here are two for Kelly :sunny:

Swan Bells
swanbells.jpg

Pinnacles National Park
pinnaclesbw.jpg

Dave - how wide of a lens did you use for Swan Bells and the skateboarder?

they're both taken with a Sigma 15mm fisheye. i have a sigma 12-24 which is aspherical and gives the roughly the same field of view without curved lines.

Here are a few of mine.
TOT
original.jpg

USS North Carolina
original.jpg

The Circular church in downtown Charleston SC
original.jpg

We-Luv-Disney,

those are all good but I love the old church, the photo treatment fits perfectly!

0bli0 said:
here are two for Kelly :sunny:

Swan Bells
swanbells.jpg

Pinnacles National Park
pinnaclesbw.jpg

Thanks very much 0bli0, now you've made me reminisce (sp) the days I was brought up in Aussie Land. I remember clearly running around those pinnacles with my parents.

We-Luv-Disney: Excellent picture of TOT! I submitted a vote for it on pbase... :thumbsup2

Fantastic pictures! I love both the castle and ToT ones, very cool.

I was disappointed with this pic when it was in color and cropped it differently, but once I converted it (not really B&W or Sepia, more of a "chocolate") I liked it enough to print it 8x10.

beachplaycontrastsmall.jpg

Wow. Amazing pictures from everyone! I love to take pictures of my kids but as you can see, I can't even get the picture in my sig to rotate to the correct position.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter