Should we go 4 days over Labor Day or 3 days a different weekend?

sanibellife

Mouseketeer
Need some help. It has been quite a while since we have been to Disney. We have not seen Toy Story land, Avatar and obviously Star Wars. My kids are older 16 and 20 but we are missing Disney so decided we would like to plan a last minute trip. We have been to WDW 5 or 6 times when the kids were younger so we don't feel pressure to do everything but would like to see some of the new attractions.

We are able to go 4 days over Labor Day but is Disney just ridiculously crowded? We can pay for some of the VIP ticket options if that is advisable. We have never done that either but if that could to help with line issues we are all for it.

Or, do we go a different weekend and only do 3 days?

Would love to hear from people that have experienced Labor Day weekend. Thanks!

Tough one. Typically Labor Day is one of the better/easier holidays that doesn’t get much of a mention in the ranks of ‘major’ WDW holiday weekends.

But with SWGE opening 8/29, this year will likely be very much be off script. Disney has already announced rather significant park hour and EMH additions at three parks (DHS, MK, & DAK) starting 8/29-11/2.

If we are to believe the hype, this Labor Day could be unlike any other.

Should you go? Absolutely! Why not?!

Might want to check resort/accommodation options for Labor Day if you haven’t already, that may help guide your decision.

Good luck.

We went last year over Labor Day. Arrived the Thursday before and left the Saturday after. Crowd levels were great and we had a great time! DH and I are actually going the same time this year. We booked before we knew Galaxy's Edge was opening that weekend. I'm sure crowd levels will be higher, but who knows exactly, there's no way to know! Did you see the extra extra magic hours? If you stay onsite (and there was wide open availability when I checked a few days ago) there's some nice long park hours that weekend. I would totally do it!

Depends on how well you and your family think you can wait and what your patience is like. TSL and SW are both going to be incredibly packed. Like...beyond human belief.

If you're looking to do anything in Galaxy's Edge good luck. You'd probably have better luck in ToyStory. But in general going to both of those things during labor day is a terrible idea. Im surprised anyone is saying its ok.

I dont think anyone realizes just how crazy it's going to be the rest of the year at Disney lol.

If you want to give it a shot go ahead but mentally prepare yourself. It is also possible that you could have a really good time it's just going to be very busy.

It's worth noting that the Avatar FOP wait times are STILL 3-4 hours and the wait times for Slinky Dog is roughly 2 or more.

So imagine that but like...times a thousand for Star Wars.

IMHO, if you can pick 3 days prior to Star Wars opening and you are ok not seeing it, I would go before Galaxy's Edge opens. I think from August 29 forward, all weekends are going to be mobbed in DHS. We've gone the last week of August for many years and typically the crowds are very low. Personally, I think Labor Day weekend itself will be a mad house. We are going this year, but I booked a VIP tour on Aug. 30 with the hope the guide will get us access to SWGE. If they can't, we will drop DHS altogether and do something else. For such a short trip, I would definitely look into a VIP, EMM and/or After Hours event to maximize your time.

Thanks for the advice! We didn't realize that Star Wars opened that weekend! For some reason I thought it was earlier in the summer. I am really surprised that so many Disney resorts still have rooms available that Labor Day weekend. When we realized it was opening weekend we didn't think rooms would be available. Thought for sure it would be sold out!

Part of our hesitation about going opening weekend is if everything will be up and running as anticipated. I have been trying to read as much as I can and it seems there are things now that have been delayed at the Disneyland opening. Are people anticipating the same thing at WDW?

Still appreciate and info you can provide. Thanks

we were considering same trip. but what i don't understand if it's going to be jam packed prediction why are the resorts not full?

Thanks for the advice! We didn't realize that Star Wars opened that weekend! For some reason I thought it was earlier in the summer. I am really surprised that so many Disney resorts still have rooms available that Labor Day weekend. When we realized it was opening weekend we didn't think rooms would be available. Thought for sure it would be sold out!

Part of our hesitation about going opening weekend is if everything will be up and running as anticipated. I have been trying to read as much as I can and it seems there are things now that have been delayed at the Disneyland opening. Are people anticipating the same thing at WDW?

Still appreciate and info you can provide. Thanks

In terms of rides, only Smuggler's Run will open on August 29. Rise of the Resistance will open "later this year". That's another reason why I would suggest going before Star Wars opens. Enjoy the rest of WDW in relative calm and then, perhaps, plan another trip once all of Galaxy's Edge is open and the madness has decreased slightly.

we were considering same trip. but what i don't understand if it's going to be jam packed prediction why are the resorts not full?

There are plenty of locals and off-site resort guests who will be going that weekend as well. Keep in mind, there will be no FP+ initially available for Smuggler's Run and everyone will be able to enter at the 6:00 am opening from August 29 - August 31, so, other than proximity to the park and Disney transportation, there is almost zero advantage to staying onsite those first few days - at least for now as no reservation system, like the one in DL, has been announced for WDW.

The resorts aren't full because a huge percentage of Disney guests are families with children. While many families will pull their kids for a week at Disney, few will do it for that early in the school year. So the resorts are not full because people aren't going to commit to a full-on vacation with flights, hotels, etc. for a weekend. On the other hand, those within driving distance will be perfectly happy to come see the new park. But by making those crazy early EMH, people staying onsite really do have a good chance of seeing SWGE somewhat reasonably because the locals won't have that 6am access (unless they get a hotel, too).

I think by only opening Smuggler's Run at the beginning, Disney has set up SWGE for a - somewhat - more gradual opening because there are people who won't come until the whole land is up and running. Even if people are huge SW fans, it's still quite expensive to go to WDW, especially if travel and hotels are involved, so many will wait until Rise of the Resistance is functional.

I'm also wondering if the predictions of huge crowds is having a paradoxical effect, and keeping people away. I know there are people who are moving their trips to August, if possible, to avoid SWGE. Those are the people who booked September because it's traditionally a lower-crowd time, and are a bit miffed about the opening being moved early (I'm one of these people, but can't make August work). Other people who wanted to be there for the opening of SWGE previously booked for November and December (trying to guess the 'late fall' opening), and may not be able to move their trips now, either because they can't get PTO approved, they bought non-refundable airfare, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter