• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I bring my 2 year old to Disneyland?

I have taken both my kids at age 2, and while I did sit off a lot of rides we had a great time. Take advantage of the rider switch pass (aka stroller pass). We used that in conjunction with our Fast Passes, so there was less waiting for the other person sitting with the 2 year old.

I would never take a trip where I expected someone else to watch my child for me. But that said, it doesn't strike me as very nice of her to adamantly put that out there like that.

I'd take the 2 year old. You'll never get a chance to take your 2 year old again. Each age and stage is fun. But I would make sure we found plenty of time to do what we wanted as well. It sort of sounds like your SIL wants to be in charge.

I loved taking my kids at that age! It is a little more stressful and they will probably take a nap in the middle of the day due to so much excitement but honestly my 5 year old could take a nap after half a day at Disney and quite frankly so could I. But seeing how excited they get is so worth it. I personally would feel bad if I left one kid behind, but that's up to you. Don't leave your 2 year old with grandma to appease your SIL take your child if you want to and only leave them at home if YOU WANT TO.

My friend and I took my oldest to Disney World for a birthday trip in October. We left my then 2.5 year old at home with my husband. She was most definitely aware of being left behind. She didn't know what Disney World was but she was certainly aware of being left out.

Also, rider switch allows the waiting adult to bring another person onto the ride with them when they use the switch pass. So it's an opportunity to allow your older child to ride some things twice that would otherwise have been difficult to repeat (like the Racers).

DD was 2 for her first Disneyland trip and loved it. DS was about 6 months the first time we took him as he's the younger child. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Seeing Disney though the eyes of a child is magical. I have the best picture of DS when he was about 1 with lipstick kiss marks on his bald little head from Snow White and Belle during our lunch at Ariels Grotto.

I would definitely take your 2 year old and just use the rider switch pass when needed. You'll have a great family vacation.

I would take the two year old! My son is 19 months and I've had him to DL once and WDW twice. I couldn't imagine leaving him behind. Disney is incredibly family friendly. However, you know your child best. If you are worried about your ability to enjoy the parks with the LO and know he won't do well in that sort of environment for whatever reason, then there isn't anything wrong with leaving him with grandma. Do what is right for your family. I encourage you to consider bringing him, though! Disney is fun with toddlers and babies.

My husband, myself, 5 year old, and 2 year old with my SIL and her family in May. All of her kids are older. She has said that her family will not watch my child so that we can go on a ride together. ie splash mountain. Should I leave my 2 year old home with Grandma and make our trip a lot more stress free? What is your experience in taking your 2 year...should I bring him? Why or why not?
Disneyland with a child of any age is do-able. You need to decide what you want out of the trip.
I don't think bad of your SIL for letting you know where she stand in regard to the trip. It's far better to know now then find this out on the trip.
The line for SplashMt can be a short 5min (how fast can you walk) wait or an hour.

We took DD when she was a couple months shy of turning 3. I loved seeing DL through her eyes and seeing her meet her favorite characters made me tear up, she got so excited. I still look back on that, an awesome memory. She doesn't remember the trip and that's ok. She had fun at the time. Sure, we missed going on some rides but that was OK.

ETA - an advantage bringing a 2 year old is having a stroller to put things in and a place for them to rest :)

We started taking our children at 18 months, and even earlier with our grandkids. Your little one may not remember the trip so much, but YOU will. And those memories will be priceless as your children grow. I would not stress about what you can and cannot do. Let the kids take the lead and do what interests them and you will all have a wonderful time. As a previous poster said, think of riding alone with your child as a special mom or daddy time with that child.

I would take the 2 year old and leave the SIL behind.

This. So much this. Who wants a selfish Debbie Downer with them?

But to answer your question, bring the 2 year old. We brought my oldest at 2 years, 3 months and it was so much fun. It's my favorite memory of DL so far because she was so entranced with the magic and seeing characters for the first time and she was so little. Omg it's the best.

I don't think poorly of your SIL. I think it is good that you do not go with expectations of a babysitter. And she made that one clear. She wants to enjoy the parks with her family too. When we travel as extended family, we all split up and do our own things. Yes, I would take my 2yo. This is about building family memories for all of you.

I don't think poorly of your SIL. I think it is good that you do not go with expectations of a babysitter. And she made that one clear. She wants to enjoy the parks with her family too. When we travel as extended family, we all split up and do our own things. Yes, I would take my 2yo. This is about building family memories for all of you.

I giggled at the 'leaving your SIL behind' but I'd be happy she made her expectations clear. I wouldn't have expected them to, personally, since they've btdt with their own and have moved up the age scale. Now that I have a 13, 10 and 6 year old it'd be hard to go back to the baby stage. I'd definitely consider meeting up for lunches/dinners but doing the rides on your own..at least the bigger rides. Fantasyland you can all go together :)

I don't think poorly of the SIL for her statement. Just that I wouldn't want to spend my time/money on a vacation with somebody like that. They are absolutely allowed to have the vacation they want, so for me it would make more sense to take separate trips.

I don't think badly about your SIL, it's not her child and she shouldn't have to babysit. (Which I know you didn't say you expect) So it's good she was honest now instead of letting you know right before you were about to go on a ride.

I personally would not bring a 2 year old, mostly because I wouldn't know how their temperement is, some 2 year olds are really laid back others have that really terrible twos thing going so it all depends on how comfortable you are with bringing the 2 year old. (I probably won't bring my kids until they are about 4-5ish.)

And if you do decide to leave the 2 year old behind it won't scar your child for them being left out for one trip, it's not going to be the end of the world for them and they will get over it. Besides that would give you another reason to come back, and you could always take them on a solo trip to DL or some other special place later on in life.

Our first family trip to DL was when my kid was 2.5. It was a terrific trip made even better because she was free. :teeth: I didn't care that she wouldn't remember, I wanted to see her cute little face and have that memory. We are super casual about our DL trips, and I wouldn't recommend having a tight schedule when there are small kids in the mix. For me, traveling w/ another family would cause more stress than going w/ my small kid. I would try to set up expectations on that point, especially as your SIL has no problems being blunt with you.

You could look at it from this perspective...Yes a 2 yr old might remember somethings from the trip but the chances of the 5 yr old remembering are going to be much higher. Why not make this a more memorable trip for your 5 yr old by letting this trip be "more" about them.

If you look at it that way then your not giving in to your SIL but more about potentialy making the trip extra special for the older one.

Just Food for thought.

Kind of OT, but I never really get the "they won't remember it so don't do it" idea because I care just as much about MY memories!

Anyway, I feel like this depends so much on your family dynamics, kids' temperaments, etc... It's impossible for outsiders to know what you "should" do.

I'd miss my kid and regret leaving them behind, but that's me. Your situation might be very different.

Personally when I start having kids I wouldn't take them until they are about 5-6. 2 years old from what I've read and heard are a lot fussier and temperamental because of that "Terrible two's stage". Also at that age would they really remember the trip? Ultimately if you are okay with taking it easy at the parks and prepared to cut the trip short just in case you should be okay. It will be easier without bringing them but also wouldn't you still have as good as a time if they aren't there?

My son was 2 & 4 months at our last trip in October and he is CONSTANTLY asking to go back. My nearly 6 year old has been going since she was 14 months (at least once a year since there, a couple times we went twice) and she LOVES looking at the picture books from our trips. The 2 year old has been going since he was 4 months and he loves looking at the books too, even the ones from when he was a baby.

When we make our "Big" annual trip we bring both kids, we are gone for 8 days on this trip and I couldn't bear being away from him that long. Last year, we took my daughter for a really quick trip and left our son at home with grandparents and it was a great trip that allowed us to focus on her, BUT it was so quick (1 day in each park) that I was glad we didn't have the 2 year old (as much as I missed him), since he still naps (and one parent returns to the hotel for the nap).

There are definite advantages to both options, you have to do what feels right for your family. Take your unhelpful, and quite frankly selfish, SIL out of the equation and determine what is the right move for you.
My daughter's first trip (at 14 months) was with my parents, and my brother and his older kids. The older kids LOVED playing with her and taking her on rides, so you never know, maybe the SIL isn't wanting to help, but others may want to (or be willing to).

I'd take the 2 year old and try and meet up with your SIL once or twice during the trip. I went with my side of the family and it was a huge headache. My sister has 1 child who is older and a total daredevil. I had 2 younger children at them time who were afraid of many things. We ended up splitting up and my family was annoyed. They couldn't understand why we wouldn't just walk around with them. I tried explaining I was not going to wait on the bench while my nephew went on all the big kid rides. I did not begrudge them their vacation, but I did not pay a large chunk of money to sit on the bench.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter