Should I bring my 2 year old to Disneyland?

A few more 2 cents from an old man...

In regards to the SIL, all I'll say is I've been considered the a-**** in my family because I won't go to Disney with other family. I've tried to explain in the most polite way I can that a Disney trip is too expensive to feel like you're compromising. For that reason I've always preferred to do our own thing.

That said, I have found that different trips can be enjoyable for different reasons. Our first trip with our son, when he was 18 months old was great. He loved the music and really had no fear when it came to any of the rides he could ride and characters. Our second trip with our kids, when our daughter was 2 1/2 and our son was 3 1/2 was probably my least favorite trip. We had an okay time that trip, but the kids really needed more rest, more need to find bathrooms (our daughter got a new outfit because we didn't make a restroom in time) and the kids were real hot and cold about characters (some we thought would be favorites scared the crap out of them). We didn't make another Disney trip until the kids were 10 and 11 and that was pretty much the perfect age to me. Both were into the characters, could ride any ride they wanted and really enjoyed every aspect of that trip. Since then we've been on band trips when it was more about seeing them march and perform, rather than how much we got done.

It's true a 2 year old likely won't remember the trip, but that in itself isn't a reason to leave them behind (to me). To me the key is knowing what your kids can tolerate and make sure you stay within everyone's limits. The saddest thing for me to see at the parks is a family meltdown when you know the kids (and the parents) likely have just been pushed too far without rest. Letting the kids (and old folks) nap when needed will make everyone happy in the end. You certainly want to get your money's worth, but not at the expense of really enjoying yourself.

Whatever you do, do it because it makes you and your immediate family comfortable. At that point what other people think really doesn't matter.

Thank you!!! YES, they key thing is to realize that there are different approaches for different people. It is a FAR different trip with a 2 year old than it is with OLDER kids. As long as you know this at the start ....and as mentioned above, know everyone's limits and tolerance, you can make it enjoyable for everyone! It is NOT easy to be at DL with younger kids as pointed out above...lots of demands!!
....and too many assumptions have been made here about the SIL.....(selfish because she is working out plans for HER family??)........ it is very difficult to figure out how to please everyone in ONE family, let alone TWO or more families!! Meet up periodically, go on some rides with the whole gang and then split up again when the older kids want to do more. Oh, and yes, do take full advantage of the rider switch!
AND.....most importantly......HAVE A FUN TIME!!

We brought our two grandsons last week The youngest is 17 months, he went to 4 character breakfasts with us & enjoyed the characters so much. Our older grandson turned 4 there & had a spectacular time!
2 is such a great age!!

Honestly it sounds like I'm in the vast minority of this one so far, but personally 2 y/o is too young for me and I would absolutely leave them at home.
My parents took me to Disneyland when I was 3/almost 4 y/o for the first time, and while I talked about it while I was younger, as an adult now I have no memory of the trip and honestly would have preferred my parents enjoyed the place on their own. If you're bringing the 2 y/o it will be for your own memories, not for them.
I also personally think the SIL has every right to tell you they're not going to watch your kid? Maybe I'm just cold heart-ed but if my (to-be) SIL asked me to watch her kid if we were going to DL I would tell her there's no way! I'm absolutely not insinuating you're doing so- but if my SIL ever asked me to do that I would think she's pretty entitled to think we would be willing to sacrifice our time (and money- it's expensive to visit DL!) to watch another person's child when they could be doing their own thing while they're there. But then again- I also don't have kids and really don't ever plan on bringing any youngins until their at least 7-8 y/o by personal choice, so I definitely understand if my opinion may be out of place! :o

Completely personal preference but I couldn't imagine leaving my son behind if I went to Disneyland! We are going at the end of the year and mine will be just over 2 years. Our friends have called us crazy and some said we should go without him, but even though he may not remember it, the memories for us will be there, just like throwing our children birthday parties they won't remember, etc!! I know it's a lot more expensive of a memory, but I know my son will light up to see some of the stuff there, and that's worth every penny to me! And my husband and I LOVE Disneyland, so just being there makes us happy. So we are going, and we will go back when he is older too so he can do more and remembers it.

Its obviously a dfferent kind of trip with a young child, slower pace, less patience, etc... But I think if you are willing to remember that and know he may need a nap, or may not be able to wait in a huge line then it's worth it :) but that's just my two cents!

You should definitely bring them! My two-year-old goes at least once a week and absolutely loves it!!! If you left them they would really be missing out. Plus you could always rider swap for rides he's not tall have to ride so you don't both have to wait in line.

I guess it boils down to is the focus of the trip for you to have fun or your kids. If you bring the two year old you will not be able to have a grown up carefree time going on roller coasters and rushing from ride to ride. Or do you want to go for family bonding time with your kids to see the magic from their eyes. When we go the focus is always on what is most fun for the kids. But I know not everyone is like that.

I guess it boils down to is the focus of the trip for you to have fun or your kids. If you bring the two year old you will not be able to have a grown up carefree time going on roller coasters and rushing from ride to ride. Or do you want to go for family bonding time with your kids to see the magic from their eyes. When we go the focus is always on what is most fun for the kids. But I know not everyone is like that.

Hi ... have NOT read the posts on this thread ... going straight into giving my 2 cents worth!!
I'm certain I'm going to be saying things that other posters have already mentioned ... thanks for your understanding!! :-)

Agree with this poster. I think it really depends on "your" focus for "your" trip. I stress "your" because everyone has a different focus and a different set of needs for their family so you should do what's most suitable for "your" family's needs.

In MY case (it was our 1st time) the focus for our family was what was most fun for the kids. Also, part of the reason for the "timing" of our trip was "because" our 2 year old was FREE! As well, even though we couldn't ride some rides together as a family, we really enjoyed using the rider switch as it allowed us to take our older child a "2nd time" while the other parent waited it out with the 2 year old.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I "think" you do NOT need to wait outside the ride while the 1st parent takes the older child on the ride. You are free to go and do something else with your 2 year old after the CM has been made aware that you want to use Rider Switch (we advised the CM and showed the CM our 2 year old) this way we weren't wasting time waiting and doing nothing while the 1st parent & older child were waiting to complete their ride.

Good luck and have fun! :-)

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I "think" you do NOT need to wait outside the ride while the 1st parent takes the older child on the ride. You are free to go and do something else with your 2 year old after the CM has been made aware that you want to use Rider Switch (we advised the CM and showed the CM our 2 year old) this way we weren't wasting time waiting and doing nothing while the 1st parent & older child were waiting to complete their ride.

Good luck and have fun! :-)

You are right. They do not have to stay outside the ride. They only have to go together when the first group gets in line and show the two-year old so they can get the rider switch pass. Then whoever stays with the two-year old can do something else. We commonly do a nearby attraction. On our last trip our son was 2; so when my husband and our oldest went on Splash I took our son on Winnie the Pooh.

Hmm...

I would take my two year old but I would not agree to watch a family member's two year old while they rode splash mountain. I don't think your SIL is being mean or unfair here. Think about it: assuming you are waiting in line, she'll probably be bench sitting away from her own family for at least 30 minutes. Splash Mountain rarely has a short line. And even 30 minutes is an eternity to a two year old!

When it comes down to it, Disney is horribly expensive and I don't go with people who don't have the same approach to the parks as I have. What's more valuable to you? The toddler experience and wonder or an adventure, action filled day? A five year old isn't really old enough for some of the "scary" rides anyway, so I'd probably take the two year old and not worry about keeping up with with their older cousins, because I suspect you couldn't even if you leave the toddler at home.

My sister and I are more than 3 years apart, but my parents would leave her at home and take me when she was an infant and toddler. It's a day trip for us, and my grandparents were also local. My sister thinks she got the short end of the stick on a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. She has no memory of being left behind and she's even said she doesn't think her goddaughter should go until she'll remember more of it. As the older sibling, I remember a lot of things revolving around the babies schedule, so having a few trips to myself was a good experience.

If you do take the younger child and rider swap doesn't work, consider hiring a sitter for part of a day to do some of the rides with your older child.

Hmm...

I would take my two year old but I would not agree to watch a family member's two year old while they rode splash mountain. I don't think your SIL is being mean or unfair here. Think about it: assuming you are waiting in line, she'll probably be bench sitting away from her own family for at least 30 minutes. Splash Mountain rarely has a short line. And even 30 minutes is an eternity to a two year old!

When it comes down to it, Disney is horribly expensive and I don't go with people who don't have the same approach to the parks as I have. What's more valuable to you? The toddler experience and wonder or an adventure, action filled day? A five year old isn't really old enough for some of the "scary" rides anyway, so I'd probably take the two year old and not worry about keeping up with with their older cousins, because I suspect you couldn't even if you leave the toddler at home.

This is a really good point OP. Your five year old isn't going to be doing a lot of the same stuff as your SIL's kids anyway. 5 year olds aren't generally up to a frenetically paced trip either. Whether you bring your younger child or not I wouldn't expect to spend the entire trip together (if you did you'd probably end up spending a lot of time waiting for her family to go on rides your 5 year old either can't or won't ride).

A five year old isn't really old enough for some of the "scary" rides anyway, so I'd probably take the two year old and not worry about keeping up with with their older cousins, because I suspect you couldn't even if you leave the toddler at home.

This is a really good point OP. Your five year old isn't going to be doing a lot of the same stuff as your SIL's kids anyway. 5 year olds aren't generally up to a frenetically paced trip either. Whether you bring your younger child or not I wouldn't expect to spend the entire trip together (if you did you'd probably end up spending a lot of time waiting for her family to go on rides your 5 year old either can't or won't ride).

This really depends on the kid. Our oldest was not yet 5 on our last trip and she was tall enough to ride everything but Screamin', and she rode everything but Screamin'. She can't wait to ride Screamin' on our trip this year. She's been riding the 40" rides since before she was three. She loves thrill rides. However, my son who will be 4 on our trip this summer, is not as adventurous. He will be tall enough for some of the bigger rides and says he wants to go on them. I can't help but wonder though if he'll like much more than RSR and Big Thunder. As much as he think he wants to go on Splash now (DH & DD favorite), I think that drop is going to terrify him and doubt he'll even get in line for it.

The 5yo could be able to ride almost anything, depending on their height. My granddaughter is tall and in the picture below riding Screamin' at 5 years, 3 mos. Now, the other side of the coin really is will they want to ride. My nephew is 20 days younger than my granddaughter, and still won't ride Soarin'....

13735814_10210185340853548_7483658428535611097_o.jpg

DD was 2 years 10 months on her first WDW trip. She is 11 now and we have been to WDW, DL or both every year since then. That 2 year old trip is still my absolute favorite. Everything was new and real to her and she had a giant smile on her face the whole week. She loved the characters and had some really wonderful interactions. She was not an easy toddler- she was what they call "spirited", but she was better behaved at WDW than she was at home because she was having a great time. So, I would say take the 2 year old. Most of the rides, except for the big thrill rides, the 2 year old will be able to ride too. Back then (before FP+, but it could still be done at DL), we would get FP for the big rides, and then DH and I would take turns riding while the other watched DD. We would do single rider lines too (usually while she napped in a stroller). Your 5 year old could not use single rider, but the parent that stays behind while the 5 year old rides something with the other parent, could use single rider. Your 5 year old will likely be tall enough for almost everything unless they are on the short end- but in my experience, just because they are tall enough does not mean they are willing to ride the big rides. Also, my DD has always been pretty outgoing so she had no issues with the crowds and sounds at WDW (well other than the fireworks of which she was not a fan at that age- she liked them at home on the 4th of July from a distance- but they are REALLY loud when you are inside the park). If you have a very shy kid that does not do well in public places and is terrified of characters and the dark (i.e. dark rides) that might be a different story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter