• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I bring my 2 year old to Disneyland?

I never quite understand why people don't want to bring littles to DL or WDW- I hear that a lot because we have been bringing ours since one for our oldest (celebrated her first birthday at DL) and 10 months for our youngest (first trip was DL). We have gone many times since then, and we have celebrated the majority of their birthdays in one of the parks. It has created some of the happiest memories for all of us! I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll be honest, actually, that those are my favorite years to visit, and I'm so very glad that we went when my girls were young. The magic is so real to the little ones. It makes my heart so happy to see them enjoy it so much.

I will say that someone mentioned them not remembering. That's neither here nor there for me. First, my kids do remember quite a bit. Second, we do many, many things that our children don't hold onto in actively recalled memory, but that doesn't keep us from doing it. Experiences every day shape us and can give us joy. It doesn't mean you have to be able to actively recall every single moment of a trip for a certain number of years in order for it to be a worth while experience. Memory is not the sole value of an experience.

When our kids were little we just did Disneyland day trips from my parents' home nearby in OC and we left the 1 and 2 year olds home for the day with Grandma and took the 4 year-olds and up as they reached that age. We've done that for other day trips to local parks/events and everyone has been fine with it. But if it were a multi-day family trip I would take the 2-year-old. For me it wouldn't seem right without all the kids along.

Now that your SIL has made her position clear, makes yours clear as well: you'll do the parks at your speed and on your schedule. Meet up a couple times a day for food, a family picture etc. I personally get crazy trying to manage more than my own family of 6!

(And soon enough, you'll be on the far side of the equation ... a couple years ago, we left DDs 13 and 16 home with Grandma for the day to take little brother DS10 to Legoland!!)

PHXscuba

We're going 'with' another family as well, my 5 year old's best friend's family to be precise. By with I mean we are going at the same time and we are coordinating which days we are in which park, and have planned a group dinner but I have no plan whatsoever that we will spend all our time with them. I think our touring styles are going to be very different for one.

Bring your 2 year old. Take advantage of rider switch so your older one can ride things twice. Enjoy watching your youngest soaking up the magic without having to buy him a park ticket. Meet up with your family regularly but don't spend all your time with them. Honestly, even if you don't bring your 2 year old, your older child is going to have different priorities than your SIL's kids.

I don't think this is true. Disney won't even let a too short child in the line, so I don't see how you could have all waited in line together. And any ride without a height limit, the 2 yr old can go on. I don't want the OP to think this is possible.
We did it often. It is called Rider Switch. Perhaps they have gotten rid of it since then, but it was a regular thing that people did. Children and babies could wait in the line. They couldn't ride the ride.

To each their own, but my kids absolutely remember their trips from that age! My youngest just turned 6 and I couldn't imagine all the memories with her I would have missed out on if we hadn't brought her along. We've never had to cut a trip short because of one that young. And for me, no I wouldn't enjoy the trip just as much without one of my children. I would constantly feel like something is missing.

I actually just had to edit my post because I meant to say "would you still enjoy it without them?" not "wouldn't you still have a great time without them?" Boy that came out wrong! lol

Brought my son when he was 2. I think we spent 3 or 4 hours watching jazz bands in New Orleans Square. Was a different way to experience Disneyland. Had a blast. Now he's all about rides rides rides.

My oldest DS has been going to Disneyland since he was about 15 months old. One of our favorite Disney memories is taking him when he was about 2 years, 3 months and having him insist on riding the Choo Choo bug over and over again. (The Heimlick ride in Bugsland). Now that he's a surly 14 yo teenager, I wouldn't trade that memory for all the SILs in the land.

We have a 3 YO and a 5YO. Our 3YO is too small for many rides, so big sis goes on the "big kid rides" with one of us then we use rider swap so she can go with the other parent - yes it takes some time but she loves getting to ride twice and both kids get one-on-one time with both parents.

At DL there really aren't too many height restricted rides and we wind up together the majority of the day. The girls both love The fantasyland attractions, buzz, rockers, the parades, fireworks, etc. the 5YO loves BTamarar which we usually save for later at night when the 3YO is asleep or the other parent can take her on Dumbo with shorter lines :)

DCA does have more height restrictions/age specific activities and it's a bit more of a juggling act here. Our 5YO likes Animation Academy while the 3YO can't sit through it (so one of us takes her to Anna & Elsa). Even if we're swapping more we still have a great time.

With kids of different ages, any vacation will have some things more geared towards one kid then the others I think it's good to learn to balance it and make sure both kids are getting not do things the pay enjoy.

2YOs get in free and it's really a great age. It's so magical to them! We are lucky to have recently moved to The area and bought APs and I have so many precious memories of our girls from the past several months. Our now-3YO asks to go to DL constantly and her and her sister are always talking about the rides, characters, shoes, etc.

We did it often. It is called Rider Switch. Perhaps they have gotten rid of it since then, but it was a regular thing that people did. Children and babies could wait in the line. They couldn't ride the ride.

It may have been that way once, but Rider Switch at Disneyland doesn't work that way anymore. Now, the whole party goes to the CM at the beginning of the line and asks for a Rider Switch pass. Sometimes it's that CM that gives them, sometimes it's another CM farther down the line. Then the first group goes on the ride while the other waits in the area (or does something else; we often ride the carousel while waiting for the group on Screamin', for example, or went on Buzz if the line was short or we had FPs while the others were on Star Tours or Hyperspace Mountain). Then, when the first group gets off the ride, the second group goes, usually through the FP line (even if you don't have FPs). The Rider Switch card allows 3 people for the second trip. This last trip to DLR I went with my brother's family (which included a 2 year old, who was usually happy just to jump around near the exit or watch the ride go by) and we usually combined FPs with Rider Switch so the two kids who were tall enough could ride twice AND so could one of the adults (which was never me; I can't do most height-restricted rides twice in a row unless I want to throw up!). Worked out great.

Brought my son when he was 2. I think we spent 3 or 4 hours watching jazz bands in New Orleans Square. Was a different way to experience Disneyland. Had a blast. Now he's all about rides rides rides.
We did things like that too. Sat on a bunch and ate ice cream for 2 hours. Low and behold we ended up with a fantastic view of the parade. Fond memories of that trip. The boys are bugging me to go back.

Our first trip was when our twins were 2. Clearly I vote take the 2 year old! I guess it makes a difference how close you are and how often you are likely to go. A trip is a big deal for us so there's no way I'd leave a kid behind. If we went more frequently it might be different. It's amazing how many little details the kids remembered. It didn't really matter how much they remembered though. We remember and they love looking at photos and video from that trip.

How long ago was this? We've been using rider switch for almost a decade over a total of 4 kids and it's always been where the "waiting " group stays out of the line while the first group goes and then the waiting group enters through the FP line (or exit). I'm not saying it was never done this way, just that they won't let you do it that way now - where the whole party gets in line. They won't let a too short child in the line. In any case, I didn't want the OP to try something that they wouldn't allow.

This poster explains it better

It may have been that way once, but Rider Switch at Disneyland doesn't work that way anymore. Now, the whole party goes to the CM at the beginning of the line and asks for a Rider Switch pass. Sometimes it's that CM that gives them, sometimes it's another CM farther down the line. Then the first group goes on the ride while the other waits in the area (or does something else; we often ride the carousel while waiting for the group on Screamin', for example, or went on Buzz if the line was short or we had FPs while the others were on Star Tours or Hyperspace Mountain). Then, when the first group gets off the ride, the second group goes, usually through the FP line (even if you don't have FPs). The Rider Switch card allows 3 people for the second trip. This last trip to DLR I went with my brother's family (which included a 2 year old, who was usually happy just to jump around near the exit or watch the ride go by) and we usually combined FPs with Rider Switch so the two kids who were tall enough could ride twice AND so could one of the adults (which was never me; I can't do most height-restricted rides twice in a row unless I want to throw up!). Worked out great.

It really depends on your family, your child, and how you plan to do Disney. We didn't start bringing our kids until they were at least 3. When our kids were little, Disneyland would have been too exhausting, too overstimulating, and the whole family would have been cranky. I had a hard time leaving them, but they seemed perfectly happy getting one on one time with grandma and grandpa. If you plan to take it slow and understand your limits, then taking them may be best for your family.

I think it is good that your SIL is being honest about their family plans so you don't have unrealistic expectations. I'm close with my sisters, but for each of us, Disneyland is such a big expense that even if we are at the parks at the same time, we do our own thing based on what is best for our own families. Since we don't go often, we try to pack as much in as possible. I wouldn't mind watching a niece/nephew occasionally, but after that it would feel like babysitting at Disneyland. It would be different if I went often.

Despite all that, if this is a once in a lifetime trip, I'd take all the kids, no matter the age. I'd take younger ones if we had AP's as well.

As long as I can remember, kids weren't allowed to wait in line if they didn't make height.

I've taken my kids (and now grandkids) since they were infants. We frequently go as a huge family (all my kids with all their families!) We do have the benefit that I will watch the babies on rides I don't do, but the kids with kids do know they have to do rider swap. The little ones enjoy Disneyland. And it can be great for your older child. They will get to ride any rider swap rides twice! (Once with dad, once with mom as you swap.)

I can't imagine going with out them.

12509585_10208624151824798_7104985349497573841_n.jpg

1001182_10201568557079339_1336082908_n.jpg

10959572_10206229172431810_742244369616137183_n.jpg

946269_10201404311060131_1216159944_n.jpg

1545656_10203074070796241_403134531_n.jpg

1012514_10201950153059000_1526849883_n.jpg

971133_10201568564239518_1961298586_n.jpg

We bring our kids little. Our oldest was 2.5 the first time we went, and now they are 5, 3, and 1 - we've gone 4 times since with all of them? I know some people like to make the argument that they won't remember it, or whatever, but my feelings are that there isn't any like a 2 or 3 year old girl meeting princesses for the first time. Or my 2 year old boy seeing Lightning in person. It's kind of a different experience, and actually a lot less stress because you don't have to worry about big rides at all. My son hit 40" at 2.5 yo, so I kind of miss just wandering around for characters. Rider switch is nice though because they can both ride twice while we switch off with the baby.

Also yes, things have changed with rider switch since we've been going even. Most CMs want to see the whole party (with baby), and then they'll hand over the pass (at least on the most popular stuff - SM, RSR.)

How long ago was this? We've been using rider switch for almost a decade over a total of 4 kids and it's always been where the "waiting " group stays out of the line while the first group goes and then the waiting group enters through the FP line (or exit).
It was a long time ago, considering my daughter is an adult now. It makes sense that they've had to change it by the sheer number of people in the parks. Back then, she could toddle ahead of me walking around and I could still see her. I couldn't imagine every having a toddler walking around in the park these days without hand holding.

With the new system in mind, I'd still bring my 2 y/o and do rider switch if she was napping in the stroller. I'd probably only wait in lines separately if it was something super important to me and I didn't think I'd be back ever.

A few more 2 cents from an old man...

In regards to the SIL, all I'll say is I've been considered the a-**** in my family because I won't go to Disney with other family. I've tried to explain in the most polite way I can that a Disney trip is too expensive to feel like you're compromising. For that reason I've always preferred to do our own thing.

That said, I have found that different trips can be enjoyable for different reasons. Our first trip with our son, when he was 18 months old was great. He loved the music and really had no fear when it came to any of the rides he could ride and characters. Our second trip with our kids, when our daughter was 2 1/2 and our son was 3 1/2 was probably my least favorite trip. We had an okay time that trip, but the kids really needed more rest, more need to find bathrooms (our daughter got a new outfit because we didn't make a restroom in time) and the kids were real hot and cold about characters (some we thought would be favorites scared the crap out of them). We didn't make another Disney trip until the kids were 10 and 11 and that was pretty much the perfect age to me. Both were into the characters, could ride any ride they wanted and really enjoyed every aspect of that trip. Since then we've been on band trips when it was more about seeing them march and perform, rather than how much we got done.

It's true a 2 year old likely won't remember the trip, but that in itself isn't a reason to leave them behind (to me). To me the key is knowing what your kids can tolerate and make sure you stay within everyone's limits. The saddest thing for me to see at the parks is a family meltdown when you know the kids (and the parents) likely have just been pushed too far without rest. Letting the kids (and old folks) nap when needed will make everyone happy in the end. You certainly want to get your money's worth, but not at the expense of really enjoying yourself.

Whatever you do, do it because it makes you and your immediate family comfortable. At that point what other people think really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
A few more 2 cents from an old man...

In regards to the SIL, all I'll say is I've been considered the ****** in my family because I won't go to Disney with other family. I've tried to explain in the most polite way I can that a Disney trip is too expensive to feel like you're compromising. For that reason I've always preferred to do our own thing.

That said, I have found that different trips can be enjoyable for different reasons. Our first trip with our son, when he was 18 months old was great. He loved the music and really had no fear when it came to any of the rides he could ride and characters. Our second trip with our kids, when our daughter was 2 1/2 and our son was 3 1/2 was probably my least favorite trip. We had an okay time that trip, but the kids really needed more rest, more need to find bathrooms (our daughter got a new outfit because we didn't make a restroom in time) and they kids were real hot and cold about characters (some we thought would be favorites scared the crap out of them). We didn't make another Disney trip until the kids were 10 and 11 and that was pretty much the perfect age to me. Both were into the characters, could ride any ride they wanted and really enjoyed every aspect of that trip. Since then we've been on band trips when it was more about seeing them march and perform, rather than how much we got done.

It's true a 2 year old likely won't remember the trip, but that in itself isn't a reason to leave them behind (to me). To me the key is knowing what your kids can tolerate and make sure you stay within everyone's limits. The saddest thing for me to see at the parks is a family meltdown when you know the kids (and the parents) likely have just been pushed too far without rest. Letting the kids (and old folks) nap when needed will make everyone happy in the end. You certainly want to get your money's worth, but not at the expense of really enjoying yourself.

Whatever you do, do it because it makes you and your immediate family comfortable. At that point what other people think really doesn't matter.

I so much agree with this. My parents are hard core when they travel and that's what I'm used to. If we were driving to CA to save money we didn't stop to look around much. We drove. We were there for rope drop and stayed until close. It's what I'm used to. When DH and I took our girls I really had to fix in my mind that this was going to be a toddler speed trip. We had travelled a long way and spent a lot of money but if taking a three or four hour break for a long afternoon nap in the cool room was going to make the day more enjoyable then that's what we did. We've been back once since and we had a good time but that first visit was the best in spite of the toddler issues.

I agree with the above poster. Everyone goes at their own speed. My brother loves to join us. He has 4 boys ranging from 6-14. They like to do what my daughter calls the park death march. They race from ride to ride, skipping areas they deem boring. They don't stop for shows, or smaller areas. Our family runs at a slower pace. We can enjoy time together, but usually we meet for a meal and keep doing our own thing.

And 2yos do remember things. Maybe not the actual memory, but they remember thru pictures they see. My granddaughter still "remembers" swimming at DLH pools when she was 2, going on TSMM with her aunt, wearing glasses upside down, but it is probably thru all the pictures she has seen over and over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter