Should I be this anxious about DAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not as easy as saying "I have anxiety". The cast members tell you that they don't want to hear your medical diagnosis, which is what anxiety is. They want to know specifically why you can't wait in line. Most people that lie can't really think on their feet fast enough. I am not saying that some people don't get through. But if someone walks in and says "I want a DAS because I have anxiety", that is going to bring up red flags for the cast member. I have unintentionally overheard conversations where the cast members tell people that they do not qualify for a DAS. Like I said, I am sure it happens, but I don't think it is anywhere near what some are making it out to be. With FP gone for now, it has been easy to see how few actually go through the FP line now. People with DAS still make up a small minority of guests.
Yeah, nope. The sheer number of people in this country with anxiety are going to crush the das system. How is a cast member able to determine which person saying they have anxiety and need the pass are telling the truth? You want them to judge a person with anxiety who can't answer questions in a high stress situation? The more people who find out about this pass for anxiety the more that will ask for it.

Yeah, nope. The sheer number of people in this country with anxiety are going to crush the das system. How is a cast member able to determine which person saying they have anxiety and need the pass are telling the truth? You want them to judge a person with anxiety who can't answer questions in a high stress situation? The more people who find out about this pass for anxiety the more that will ask for it.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that going up and just saying that you have anxiety should be sufficient for the cast member to give you a DAS because explaining would cause too much stress? No one is judging a person with anxiety, but as a private business, they sure as heck can ask why you feel like you can't wait in the normal line. Otherwise everyone would just be going up and saying to give them a DAS. I don't think anxiety alone would be a reason to get a DAS. EVERYONE has anxiety, some just handle it better. But there are those who are worse then others. Only each individual person can determine their own needs.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that going up and just saying that you have anxiety should be sufficient for the cast member to give you a DAS because explaining would cause too much stress? No one is judging a person with anxiety, but as a private business, they sure as heck can ask why you feel like you can't wait in the normal line. Otherwise everyone would just be going up and saying to give them a DAS. I don't think anxiety alone would be a reason to get a DAS. EVERYONE has anxiety, some just handle it better. But there are those who are worse then others. Only each individual person can determine their own needs.

This. My son is on the spectrum, but it’s not the sensory issues that make waiting on lines hard for him, it’s the anxiety. He will continue to get more and more anxious and it can eventually reach panic attack levels. When here was FP, it was manageable that way. We never got DAS before, but we’re going to ask for it this time. I don’t like waiting in lines and especially in COVID times it gives me anxiety, but I’m not going to have a panic attack from it. That’s the difference. And if you looked at my son, you’d have no idea that he has any disabilities. I’ve been having anxiety about my son requesting the DAS, and really hoping we have no problem getting it. But I’d much prefer that my son didn’t need it and could just wait in line normally, but I’m grateful Disney does have a process for those where can’t.

Closing this thread at this time.
The OP’s question was answered. If the OP wants some other answers about handling anxiety in lines/at WDW, please open a new thread to discuss that.
To summarize:
- Disability Access Service (DAS) in the present form has been around since late 2013. It DID take care of most the issues involved in the previous Guest Assistance Card, which ended when DAS began.

- most theme parks at this time are using a Return Time system similar to DAS, so it’s unlikely to change much

- DAS is requested at Guest Services at one of the Disney Theme Parks and, if it’s issued, it is valid for at least the length of stay at all 4 WDW Theme Parks. (No need to get a new DAS for each park or each day). The usual number of guests linked on one DAS is 6 (5 plus the person with a disability). Anything over that is an exception and may require a supervisor/Lead

- there is no guarantee that DAS will be issued. The person DAS is for must be present to request it, but someone else in their group can speak for them or they can present something (brief) that they wrote up to explain their need.
Notes or prescriptions from doctors are not accepted (usually the CM will politely refuse to look at it)

- Diagnosis is not asked for and is not important - people with the same diagnosis may have very different needs (or even no special needs). The important thing to be able to discuss is what issue/needs prevent the guest from waiting in the regular line.
The ADA does allow asking for this information and guests can be turned down if they don’t answer questions about issues/needs

- the accommodation provided by DAS is ability to get a single Return Time at a time to wait outside of the line. The Return Time will be similar to the posted wait time in the regular line for that attraction. If the posted wait time is 15 minutes or less, the guests using DAS may be directed to either wait in the regular line or the Fastpass line/alternative entry

- Fastpass is currently not being offered, but the Fastpass line serves many purposes ; Guest Recovery, readmit for guests who needed to leave the line, guests returning after a ride breakdown, VIP tours, Rider Switch, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter