Sharks, Castaway Cay????

Whether your "sea lice bites" are actually baby jellyfish or sargassum seaweed dermatitis, after five trips, we've never felt like we needed to pack special medication just for that. A general topical analgesic and some hydrocortisone, which you are probably packing anyway, will do just fine.

Vinegar helps neutralize jellyfish venom (no, don't pee on the sting), so if you feel like you must pack a jellyfish-specific remedy, you could just fill a little travel bottle with vinegar.

Perhaps @PrincessShmoo can speak with authority on this, but I have to imagine the infirmary probably has something on hand, too.
I would think the medical center could handle it.

At Serenity Bay, I am on the beach, and DW is on a raft about 20 yards out. I start walking out to take her picture and all the little fish around me scatter. I start looking around and see a 2-3 foot Black Tip shark cruising through the water. Picture did not come out due to angle of sun and reflection off the water. My DW is splashing the water with her hands to move the raft, so I tell her to stop because I see a shark. So what does DW do, she jumps off the raft and makes a bigger splash. The shark turns towards her. I have to run and get between her and the shark.

Checkout this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2371788
It is originally from 2010 but has pictures of sharks and other sea life taken at CC.

There was a barracuda spotted when we were there -- on the adult side -- and we had a stingray with his little fish buddy (very cute and very Nemo) swim by us on the adult side. CM told us the stingray is blind and the fish has been his companion for a while. They had no interest in us -- just swimming by.

a good common sense "precaution" would be to NOT wear sparkly jewelry while swimming in the ocean - like rings. Some predator fish (read barracuda) are attracted to the flashes (thinking they are maybe little fisheys).

Re: Sea Lice Common: I think it depends upon the time of year. We've been on CC in Jan, Feb, April, May, June, July, Aug and NEVER had issue. And sorry, I don't know the "right" time of the year. I have heard about people getting the rash under their swimsuits at different times here on the DIS.

We are going in July. So no chance of anything being cold or sluggish o_O...not only will my granddaughter freak but so will I!

I read the season is April - July in Caribbean .
Article states they've had good reports that SEA SAFE lotion works well. Already have mine be sure and apply it under swimsuit area as well as on exposed areas

At Serenity Bay, I am on the beach, and DW is on a raft about 20 yards out. I start walking out to take her picture and all the little fish around me scatter. I start looking around and see a 2-3 foot Black Tip shark cruising through the water. Picture did not come out due to angle of sun and reflection off the water. My DW is splashing the water with her hands to move the raft, so I tell her to stop because I see a shark. So what does DW do, she jumps off the raft and makes a bigger splash. The shark turns towards her. I have to run and get between her and the shark.

Checkout this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2371788
It is originally from 2010 but has pictures of sharks and other sea life taken at CC.

I know sharks can seem intimidating, but in the clear waters around Castaway Cay an unprovoked shark bite would be extraordinarily unusual. Nurse sharks are non-aggressive and the bites reports I have seen come from situations where people are grabbing or trying to hold the shark. Atlantic Black Tips are not particularly aggressive, but do tend to be a little more curious. They might come over if attracted by splashing. However, humans are not a part of their food cycle, and in clear water they would swim away. There are bites attributed to Black Tips, but these are almost always in murky water or close to shore where active wave action stirs up the sand. In most instances the shark bites once, realizes that this was not the food they were after, and swims away.

I hope no one would be so afraid of sharks that they would avoid going in the water at Castaway Cay. You really are in much more danger from sunburn.

I have really sensitive skin and I've never really had a problem with sea lice. If you notice them, don't rub your skin or bathing suit--just keep swimming until you are away from them (if you can). Then rinse off and use vinegar if you feel the stings. It works well. On an excursion once (the only time I ever even noticed the sea lice) there was a guy who reacted to them. He had a huge red rash on his back that looked like a port wine stain birth mark all down his back. One of the crew of the boat sprayed him with vinegar and it was gone within minutes. No problem. I think it's scary when you don't know what's happening, but if you can stay calm and take care of your skin, it's usually no big deal.

... There are bites attributed to Black Tips, but these are almost always in murky water or close to shore where active wave action stirs up the sand. In most instances the shark bites once, realizes that this was not the food they were after, and swims away.
"This is not the food you are looking for" --- Obi-Wan Kenobi upload_2016-4-28_13-15-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-28_13-13-24.png
    upload_2016-4-28_13-13-24.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 2
There was a barracuda spotted when we were there -- on the adult side -- and we had a stingray with his little fish buddy (very cute and very Nemo) swim by us on the adult side. CM told us the stingray is blind and the fish has been his companion for a while. They had no interest in us -- just swimming by.
We spotted a barracuda in the family swimming area while snorkeling. We looked at him, he looked at us, then he took off. We told the lifeguard about it and he seemed pretty unconcerned. It was really the coolest thing we saw in the water the entire trip.

Long thin, all silver like fish with a nasty looking mouth. When swimming in the ocean, never wear any thing shiny, like jewelry, the sparkle, attracts all kinds of ocean going varmints.

A Barracuda can and will bite, but it is not at all life threatening and like most varmints in the water, you leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

AKK

There were small jelly fish in November when we were snorkeling out in the family beach/snorkeling area. It was hard to find a patch where one or two weren't swimming around. So I led the way and my daughter followed behind me. I got stung by one, but it was more of an annoying pain rather than a bad sting. They were small. Maybe the size of a nickel. My daughter was fine. We're from the coast of Florida though so it's just part of swimming in the ocean to us. I could see how it would be intimidating for those visiting the ocean for the first time.

Kids are all so different...I have 2 DS and both would likely want to swim up to the shark and check it out! :scared1:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter