Sharks, Castaway Cay????

Ozarkglittergirl

Jiminy crickets y'all
My granddaughters are concerned about sharks in Castaway Cay. I don't know what to tell them? It's our first cruise, first trip to the ocean (for them), and first experience with Disney. They are 11and 12. I want them to be SAFE and have the time of their life. Any insight from you repeat cruisers is greatly appreciated.

My granddaughters are concerned about sharks in Castaway Cay. I don't know what to tell them? It's our first cruise, first trip to the ocean (for them), and first experience with Disney. They are 11and 12. I want them to be SAFE and have the time of their life. Any insight from you repeat cruisers is greatly appreciated.
Sharks are rarely seen at Castaway Cay. But they have been seen there. Let me clarify, these are the smaller nurse sharks, not the "jaws" type that will eat you. Mostly they avoid people.

And you much less likely to find them on the family beach than Serenity Bay (although it does happen). Family beach has nets to keep the larger fish out. Serenity Bay doesn't.

Phew! I told them it was netted, so now I know it really is. I suppose if no one has ever been in contact with one then it must be ok

I explained to my kids that nurse sharks are like the vacuum cleaners of the ocean. They suck up their food just like that and they don't have the big scary teeth sticking out. I have been swimming with nurse sharks and they really didn't care less about me puttering around their territory.

I explained to my kids that nurse sharks are like the vacuum cleaners of the ocean. They suck up their food just like that and they don't have the big scary teeth sticking out. I have been swimming with nurse sharks and they really didn't care less about me puttering around their territory.

What a great learning opportunity! However, With my youngest granddaughter I think the less said, the better. :rolleyes1

What a great learning opportunity! However, With my youngest granddaughter I think the less said, the better. :rolleyes1
That was my original plan, but I had to resort to a back up plan while visiting a non-Disney beach because my daughter spotted a small nurse shark and panicked. :scared:

My thinking is that by not talking about it, unless she brings it up, she won't dwell on it and if a chance encounter does happen she will be better able to cope when she realizes that no one else is afraid. Afterwards we can talk about it. She can be a worrywart and dwell on things

That sounds like mine and the plan worked really well. Even the freak out was minor and telling her they were like vacuums made it into a bit of a joke. I'm sure you will have a great trip!

They are quite safe, or at least, as safe as can be swimming in the ocean. The odds of a shark attack, while not nil, are infinitesimal even when not in an area that is netted and channeled off like CC is.

Put it this way: if you aren't warning the girls about the odds of getting killed in a car accident while driving to the port, or a plane accident while flying to MCO, or drowning in the ocean - presumably because the discussion would cause undue worry for such small odds of any of those things happening - then you have even less cause to discuss shark attacks.

She is the one who mentioned to me. So she's already just a tad anxious .

Gotcha. But I think my point holds. What would you tell her if she asked about the plane crashing getting to MCO?

I mean, unless we are talking about a shark phobia thing here, the same assurances you might give her about the plane ride are probably just as applicable to the shark issue:

The odds are super-small anything would ever happen; there are experts in place with lots of tools and technology to make sure nothing happens; you're more likely to get struck by lightning; etc.

Last edited:
So.... bring the Jelly Fish Sting medication, just in case?

Whether your "sea lice bites" are actually baby jellyfish or sargassum seaweed dermatitis, after five trips, we've never felt like we needed to pack special medication just for that. A general topical analgesic and some hydrocortisone, which you are probably packing anyway, will do just fine.

Vinegar helps neutralize jellyfish venom (no, don't pee on the sting), so if you feel like you must pack a jellyfish-specific remedy, you could just fill a little travel bottle with vinegar.

Perhaps @PrincessShmoo can speak with authority on this, but I have to imagine the infirmary probably has something on hand, too.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter