Shaping up for 2.0

I hesitate to give advice on health and fitness because of the sensitivity of the subject. People take suggestions on ways to improve fitness levels as personal insults sometimes.

How dare you tell me ways to improve my fitness level!!!! :scared1:

:rotfl: I know what you mean tho. Its kind of funny (in a sad way) A person can know they are not in shape, make their own personal observation that they are not in shape and need to do something about it, you make a suggestion to them thinking you are being helpful and then they think you are putting them down. Hate to admit it, but I have actually been guilty of this myself a time or two :rolleyes: I think a big part of it tho was that while I knew I should/needed to do something, part of me still wasnt ready do comit to doing anything. It was always I'll start tomorrow...tomorrow..tomorrow. Well Carl Weathers said it best in Rocky 3 "Damn it Rock, there is no tomorrow!" Life lessons from Sylvester Stallone :rotfl:

I just meant if you're not doing any weight training, you should start. The myth is that weight training will add bulk to a persons frame. This is only true if that is your specific goal and you dedicate countless hours in the gym. Adding simple weight training to your normal workout program is a huge benefit to losing weight and staying fit.

I hesitate to give advice on health and fitness because of the sensitivity of the subject. People take suggestions on ways to improve fitness levels as personal insults sometimes. It has happened on these boards many times. I'm in the field of personal training & nutrition and will help anyone who asks. Reaching your fitness goals can be difficult if you go about it the wrong way. Most people just need good advice. :thumbsup2

I know exactly what you mean, but I for one, would not take it that way. I am the one that opened the door here. Besides, I seriously doubt anyone that anyone who had met you or seen your picture would be inclined to argue with your advice on fitness. :thumbsup2

Does that mean 7 desserts at Palo Brunch is Baaaaaaad?

Once we board the ship, all bets are off. :goodvibes

I am gonna start our weekly thread here in a few. Feel free to come post your goals and join us over there.

Please post your goal(s) for the week. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you meet those goals. Post your progress throughout the week, you never know when YOU might inspire someone else in their journey.

We have 80 weeks until PC 2.0 (I know, :sad1:). Let's be as healthy as we can by then. :cheer2:

I want to reign in my vacation mode diet and get back to some exercise. Once, I manage that this week, I'll work on more specific plans for both.

I tend to be very all or nothing in my thinking, especially when it comes to food/exercise, so baby steps are in order...

Two Goals
Exercise --> I am going to use the WII Fit @ least 20 minutes every day. My first challenge will be finding it hidden under all the junk in my room. :rotfl:

Food ---> No fried / drive thru food.

I have found that I need baby steps also, otherwise I lose control so fast and then I totally give up.

With that in mind, I am starting a food journal today. I am just going to start writing down what I am consuming, and then figure out where I can cut back and modify. I snack alot.

The other goal I have is to stretch daily. I have tension headaches that begin in my right upper back area, I had low back surgery 3 years ago but have weak ab muscles, I have tendonitis in both elbows....I had been doing yoga last year, it just got too hectic to continue, but it really helped. I need to go back desperately.

The one thing I need is accountability. My husband is not very good about getting on me to eat better and exercise, because he doesn't want me to feel bad. We've gotten into several arguments over the years about it, and I have begged him to do it, but he won't. I have no family here, and we live in the country with no neighbors. It's hard to find walking/exercising partners, etc.

Umm Exercise at least two times this week. (Baby Steps)

No problem Puck. I would need to know your specific goals. Work out programs can differ widely and being specific reduces wasted time on your part. Who has time to waste these days? :goodvibes

Alright Lunny, I'm in decent shape, I run and do a decent weight program right now. We mix it up, but always do plenty of bench, squats and dumbbell work. When the weather is nice we go outside and do lots of "odd" stuff including pushing my car around the parking lot, flipping tires and the ever fun burpies (YUK). We toss in some pullups, bench dips and cleans on occasion. We always finish with a core workout that is everything from crunches to planks and other misc core "stuff". I like to play basketball and am in a flag football league in the fall/winter. I'm getting older so I have slowed down, but my goal is to be stronger and maintain and/or lose a little weight. I'm 195 and would like to hit 180-185 and stay there. Right now I workout about 3-4 times a week and run/bike about the same. I have access to the High School weight room any time I need it and right now have a good workout buddy. My fear is when I lose that I'll slide and have a tough time working out. I need to convince myself that I can workout alone and be just fine. I know that means no squats and bench stuff without a spotter, but with dumbbells I should be able to fill in the gaps. If I just go alone right now without a list I'm a lost puppy and will always error on the side of less. If I have a good workout on paper I will always complete it.

I know that is a book of an answer when you asked a sentence question :)

Foodie goal - Keep on my plan, keep the journal going

Movin' goal - 100 minutes of purposeful activity this week (meaning activity I'm doing just to make that goal, not including just walking to get the mail or whatever). I know that's not very many minutes, but I want to build it up slowly.

Good luck, everyone! :goodvibes

Sorry, one more post.

If what your eating isn't conducive to good health, you can work out 24 hours a day with little or no results! Fitness is 75% nutrition VS. 25% exercise. :)
It took me a long time to reconcile that fact because, in my mind, when I was 20ish (instead of 30ish as I am now), I exercised like mad and lost weight like crazy. What I realize now, in retrospect, was that I wasn't just exercising like mad - to the point I injured myself, actually - I was pretty much starving myself.

It was a great weight loss plan ... for like, a year. After I had to give up the strenuous workouts due to pain and started eating like a normal human being again, my body was more than happy to pack the pounds back on.

Oh, well. Live and learn. :rolleyes:

Launchpad11B said:
I hesitate to give advice on health and fitness because of the sensitivity of the subject. People take suggestions on ways to improve fitness levels as personal insults sometimes. It has happened on these boards many times. I'm in the field of personal training & nutrition and will help anyone who asks. Reaching your fitness goals can be difficult if you go about it the wrong way. Most people just need good advice. :thumbsup2
I'd be interested in some advice, if you have some to share. I can see how some people might take it the wrong way, but I'm askin' for it so bring it on. :cool2:
I like weight/strength training, especially since in the past I've found it gives pretty quick results in terms of body shape (lovely lean muscles :thumbsup2), but I'm curious what types of weight work will be most beneficial to the overall weight loss thing. I'm thinking focus on big muscle groups?

I'm going to start small here for this week. I'd like to get out at least 3 times this week for walks. (I do work 2 jobs, so some of my nights may be filled) I'm sticking with my slim-fast diet so far, to at least help me off the carbs and snacks. I lost 2 pounds last week, so I'm hoping for another pound or two this week as well.

I lost .6 on my weigh in on Saturday, so I'm 1 lb. away from a "milestone" number. :banana:

I need to go to the produce store and pick up more of the fruits and veggies like I had last week. I went for a 4 1/2 mile walk a couple days ago, and I'm planning to walk with my sister later after she comes over for dinner.

We're not going to walk 4 1/2 miles, though. :laughing:

I started by doing a full grocery shop this weekend with lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Now for the difficult part..
Meal planning is something I am not very good at..
So every morning after the boys are off to school it is planning that nights dinner. This will go a long way in cutting out the fast food, b/c I have forgotten to take something out of the freezer for dinner. :)

I too need baby steps. Gotta keep reminding myself that I did not gain my weight in one week so I can expect to lose it all in one week.

I went shopping for healthy food, salads for lunch and grilled items for dinner. Also I have to write everything that goes into my mouth down, otherwise I lose track and thats where this train derails.

Goal: to exercise at least 20 minutes every other day this week, I can see the dogs smiling now.

Thanks for starting this I really needed the motivation and morale support this is going to give me.:thumbsup2

I too need baby steps. Gotta keep reminding myself that I did not gain my weight in one week so I can expect to lose it all in one week.

my thoughts exactly, I didnt put it on all over night, so it aint coming off all over night....but a great deal of it did go on due to all night snacking :rotfl:

I have a suggestion that might get everyone to exercise at least once, if not twice in any given week:

Do not listen to the DIS Unplugged podcasts unless you're exercising.

That means, listen while you're going for a walk, while gardening, while doing anything that isn't sitting in an office or by the computer, or on a couch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter