• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seven Years Later we are Cruising Disney Again...please tell me it isn't as bad as I'm reading?

We went on the Fantasy in February and liked it so much that we booked the Dream in October. We ended up booking the fantasy about 2 weeks out from sail date and everything was booked. However, all the activities and shows were easy to get into. The only thing I remember having a line was the theater shows seemed to have a long line 30 minutes before showtime. We didn't watch the show because we had a 1 year old and decided not to watch, so I'm not even sure if the theater filled up.

Also, it seemed like on board if you wanted a mixology class, they ended up having a few different ones available even though they said sold out prior to the cruise.

Don't give up hope of being able to grab something - especially as the cruise gets closer. No one wants to have to cancel but in these times, it's certainly happening more than ever, and things will open up.

We board the Wish Monday and I was able to finally snag a rum tasting yesterday.

We've been stalking a rum tasting on our Fantasy cruise next month. We've seen all the rest come available, but not that one (it's the one we want the most).

We've been stalking a rum tasting on our Fantasy cruise next month. We've seen all the rest come available, but not that one (it's the one we want the most).
I got lucky one night on the Fantasy. Wife and kid went to bed and I sat at the bar in the atrium (Bon Voyage bar). I was the only person at the bar, bartender and I got into a conversation about Whisky. Turns out he does some of the mixology classes and he talked to me about a few different whiskys and talked to me about the history, taste, etc. Felt like my own personal tasting session.

I literally sat there yesterday morning flipping back and forth between the 2 dates that offered it and BOOM! Popped up on day 4 - and I was actually able to book it before someone else snagged it out from under me. lol
I kind of figured when we got within the 10-day window we'd start to see covid cancellations, and then as you get even closer people firm up their plans and cancel things. Of course, more opportunities will probably open up when we hit the pre-cruise testing window tomorrow.
Just keep checking!

We sailed Wonder in 2016, Magic in 2018, and Fantasy June 2022. Most things are back to normal, post Covid--we had real menus, a different show/entertainer/movie each night in the theater, anyone can cook classes, crafts, trivia sessions, etc. Just some social distancing from the characters, but no masks required. Food was as good as ever!

On palo specifically, we found the absence of the buffet prompted us to try more from the a la carte menu--normally we stuff ourselves on the buffet and just order one dish from the menu each. This time we got an assortment of mains, egg dishes, waffles, desserts etc. and they were all DELICIOUS. The lasagne, eggs benedict and strawberry dessert were my favorites. Actually preferred it to the buffet... although the one thing I missed was the caviar.

On bingo/trivia I found those activities to be just as enjoyable as ever but you do need to arrive early. It's not really an inconvenience, all the times are in the app now so it is very easy to plan your day and be there 20-30 mins early for the activities you care most about. Order a drink and sit and chat and you won't feel like it is "wasted" time.

Drink tastings do hold back spots for those who book onboard on the first day so you may get in. If you don't, spend the money you saved on a day pass to the rainforest room. Or just go order some drinks from the menu at Meridian--the bartenders are great there and if you start chatting with them they'll tell you about drinks just like at a tasting.

I don't think DCL is perfect, but I've never left a cruise feeling disappointment--I always wish I could stay on the ship longer.

On palo specifically, we found the absence of the buffet prompted us to try more from the a la carte menu--normally we stuff ourselves on the buffet and just order one dish from the menu each. This time we got an assortment of mains, egg dishes, waffles, desserts etc. and they were all DELICIOUS. The lasagne, eggs benedict and strawberry dessert were my favorites. Actually preferred it to the buffet... although the one thing I missed was the caviar.
A few years ago our waiter at Palo Brunch insisted we order the lasagna. We were already ordering several items and didn't think we'd eat it, but we both took one bite and were like "oh my GOD." While I like the buffet option, I definitely do Palo Brunch more for the hot food items. Maybe this time we'll order a waffle since my mom will be with us and she loves them. :)

Last edited:
We always book last minute due to waiting for the cast discount rates to be offered. We have cruised on the Dream 3 times, twice precovid and again this past April. We are booked on the Fantasy towards the end of September! Can't wait!

By the time we book, all classes are sold out. My husband checks the website daily, at different times, and has been able to book most of what he is looking for. The best class, this past April, was martini tasting. The bartender in charge was extremely knowledgeable and the setting was beautiful, in the lounge next to the adult restaurants.

I got lucky one night on the Fantasy. Wife and kid went to bed and I sat at the bar in the atrium (Bon Voyage bar). I was the only person at the bar, bartender and I got into a conversation about Whisky. Turns out he does some of the mixology classes and he talked to me about a few different whiskys and talked to me about the history, taste, etc. Felt like my own personal tasting session.

This sounds awesome! We have decided if necessary we can just do our own "mixology" class at the bar as well. My husband would love that Whiskey thing though...that's his latest thing.

I literally sat there yesterday morning flipping back and forth between the 2 dates that offered it and BOOM! Popped up on day 4 - and I was actually able to book it before someone else snagged it out from under me. lol
I kind of figured when we got within the 10-day window we'd start to see covid cancellations, and then as you get even closer people firm up their plans and cancel things. Of course, more opportunities will probably open up when we hit the pre-cruise testing window tomorrow.
Just keep checking!

Great to hear...thanks for the advice. I will stalk a little more as we get closer for sure.

We sailed Wonder in 2016, Magic in 2018, and Fantasy June 2022. Most things are back to normal, post Covid--we had real menus, a different show/entertainer/movie each night in the theater, anyone can cook classes, crafts, trivia sessions, etc. Just some social distancing from the characters, but no masks required. Food was as good as ever!

GREAT to hear...thanks! I am not familiar at all with the "anyone can cook" classes but they seem to be quite popular. I guess I'll have to look that up when we get onboard.

On bingo/trivia I found those activities to be just as enjoyable as ever but you do need to arrive early. It's not really an inconvenience, all the times are in the app now so it is very easy to plan your day and be there 20-30 mins early for the activities you care most about. Order a drink and sit and chat and you won't feel like it is "wasted" time.

Drink tastings do hold back spots for those who book onboard on the first day so you may get in. If you don't, spend the money you saved on a day pass to the rainforest room. Or just go order some drinks from the menu at Meridian--the bartenders are great there and if you start chatting with them they'll tell you about drinks just like at a tasting.

I don't think DCL is perfect, but I've never left a cruise feeling disappointment--I always wish I could stay on the ship longer.
I appreciated your insight on Palo. I'm torn between dinner or brunch, but it sounds like brunch has more options. I'm not a huge breakfast person, but DH is, but also I don't know if I want to miss out on any specialty dinners in the main rooms to do Palo. We plan to be total kids (as adults) and dress up for Halloween and Pirate night, so that doesn't leave too many other nights for us.

I do recall, even years ago, that we always tried to show up as early as possible for any event we really wanted. Glad to see that Bingo was still as good as ever. We've always enjoyed it.

A few years ago our waiter at Palo Brunch insisted we order the lasagna. We were already ordering several items and didn't think we'd eat it, but we both took one bite and were like "oh my GOD." While I like the buffet option, I definitely do Palo Brunch more for the hot food items. Maybe this time we'll order a waffle since my mom will be with us and she loves them. :)

Yeah I would have skipped the lasagna myself!

We always book last minute due to waiting for the cast discount rates to be offered. We have cruised on the Dream 3 times, twice precovid and again this past April. We are booked on the Fantasy towards the end of September! Can't wait!

By the time we book, all classes are sold out. My husband checks the website daily, at different times, and has been able to book most of what he is looking for. The best class, this past April, was martini tasting. The bartender in charge was extremely knowledgeable and the setting was beautiful, in the lounge next to the adult restaurants.

Yes we booked late due to discounts as well. I am a good stalker when it comes to WDW so I guess I'll have to get good at it with DCL as well. Martini tasting was one I was considering also...I think right now we have tequila and margaritas booked.

I sailed on the Dream June 3rd and everything was perfect! Food was great, service was great.

Just got off the magic Last week (8/10) and it was the best food (minus one meal) we had ever gotten on a DCL cruise. I have never had issues with food on the Dream. Most importantly, trust your servers recommendations on the food. They've never steered me wrong!

Beauty and the Beast is amazing. Definitely a do not miss. It's the only show I still go see in the theatre, the others I've seen enough times.

I agree with the earlier poster that stated many times the folks that leave the reviews are passionate because something atypical occurred to really make the trip a black eye. We have an upcoming Carnival trip so I looked at a cruise review website and all of the reviews were 1 out of 5 stars. I sort of panicked myself until I looked at Facebook and another cruise review website where the reviews were more moderate - mostly positive with a few items that could be improved.

I have stopped doing the mixology classes. all the drinks are ridiculously sweet. They are fun, and very popular. If you like sweet drinks, check when you get aboard, they might add extra ones depending on what kind of time the bartenders have.

Wish has a gin seminar so I'm trying that

The only downer last December on mixology is they didn’t let us mix them ourselves due to COVID and also didn’t provide the recipes. The drinks were good but it was one and done as our hope had been to have friends over post cruise and have one or more of the drinks we learned how to make.

The only downer last December on mixology is they didn’t let us mix them ourselves due to COVID and also didn’t provide the recipes. The drinks were good but it was one and done as our hope had been to have friends over post cruise and have one or more of the drinks we learned how to make.

Well that certainly changes things. We loved when we did the class and could each make the drinks. We do plenty of drink making at home though so if we don't end up paying $45 each to do this I'll be okay. I'm sure we will spend plenty of money elsewhere onboard.

(Emphasis mine)

I just read the beginning of this post again - and started laughing. Made my day. Without the reference and not reading past the second sentence, it’s not your typical Disney cruise story. (Or is it?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter