• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September W.I.S.H. - Back to Basics

Woohoo...

In my office, the areas that are out of video range have degenerated back into disheveled piles of stuff that's been bugging me for weeks. Yesterday I finally couldn't take it any more and ordered a new tall bookcase which got me going on sorting/clearing out so that I'll be ready for it. Woohoo, as I deserve a lovely nicely decorated office.

Last week my counselor asked me what my stressors were... so backing up to identify the little things that end up in the big pile that takes me over the edge. The first thing that came up for me is that dang FitBit sleep report. I've adjusted so many things but I still consistently get low scores. Then this morning I noticed you can see a chart where your averages are compared to your demographic group and for the most part I'm right in the average except that my awake time is a little less and my deep sleep is a little more. Either this means I'm doing fine or none of us old white women are getting enough sleep. Either way I'm going to stop worrying about it, so woohoo for that.

And not really a woohoo, just a ramble about what's on my mind this morning: the other thing my Counselor and I talked about was my Grandmother Fisk, who I've been obsessed with since my drive thru their retirement town during my vacation. I remembered the little genealogy notebook my Dad had put together and pulled it out. I knew she was out of her parent's house and was working as a Milliner when she married, but found out she married at age 26 - which seems older than average for 1923, so she really was independent and on her own. He had also included a copy of her Panamanian driver's license from when they lived there in 1941... again independent and I'm thinking not that common for women to be driving at that time? Here's a picture of her around the time they married:

The hat! And I never realized before, but I've got her eyes. Oh how I wish I could have a chat with her.

Last edited:
Woohoo-off to a good start this week and the rain has held off so I could get a walk in this morning.

Woohoo-three books I reserved are waiting for me at the library. I’m into these reissues of British murder mysteries written during the 1920s through the 1950s. Clever but not gruesome.

Well, when I walked into my classroom after 2 days out of school, it looked like a bomb was dropped on it. According to my students who were beyond thrilled to see me, the sub was a "mean lady" and according to my colleagues, she was a "witch with a B." So...anyway, one of my student's behavior really crossed a line to the point where I had to call security. I never call for help. I handle my business, but this stinker was beyond my control and was hurting multiple kids. So that was fun. I wrote up my incident report, and called both parents who only speak Portuguese. We don't have any interpreters in school for Portuguese, so I google translated a letter to email them, but the mother's handwriting on the emergency form was unreadable. Then I wrote the translated note on paper and gave it to the after school program that he is on the verge of getting kicked out of any day now.

WOO HOO! I got a half-day paraprofessional! She needs loads of training, but that's okay. I finally have help!

A little ritual I found for the Autumnal Equinox, which is the time to reflect on the past and plan for the future:

Opening the Box Mediation

Close your eyes and imagine you are standing inside of a box.
This box is one that you have created for yourself.
It keeps you safe, but it limits you and keeps you from growing.
Now, imagine yourself stepping out of the box and immediately knowing you have unlocked new possibilities. Open your arms and welcome in the new.

Well, when I walked into my classroom after 2 days out of school, it looked like a bomb was dropped on it. According to my students who were beyond thrilled to see me, the sub was a "mean lady" and according to my colleagues, she was a "witch with a B." So...anyway, one of my student's behavior really crossed a line to the point where I had to call security. I never call for help. I handle my business, but this stinker was beyond my control and was hurting multiple kids. So that was fun. I wrote up my incident report, and called both parents who only speak Portuguese. We don't have any interpreters in school for Portuguese, so I google translated a letter to email them, but the mother's handwriting on the emergency form was unreadable. Then I wrote the translated note on paper and gave it to the after school program that he is on the verge of getting kicked out of any day now.

WOO HOO! I got a half-day paraprofessional! She needs loads of training, but that's okay. I finally have help!
Yay for the 1/2 day para!

Thankful for time spent together last week with my husband’s brother and his wife. I’m very grateful we have such a good relationship with our families.

Thankful that it looks like children 5-11 will be able to get vaccinated by the end of October. I will be so relieved once my grandson is vaccinated!

I have been awake since 2:30 AM:headache: My brain turned on, and all of my ridiculous deadlines started swimming in my brain. At 4:00 AM, I gave up trying to fall back to sleep, so by 4:11 AM, I was eating eggs and drinking coffee. DH came downstairs at 4:15 AM with a salty attitude complaining that I was up and would be interfering with his routine...watching Sports Center while he had breakfast in our stuffy 72 degree living room. I had my show on as well as the A/C, lol. So, I turned off the A/C, and changed the channel. The crab has calmed down.

I plan on going into work early and trying to tackle everything that is waiting for me. If I could get into the building before 7:00 AM, I would get ready now and go in for 6:00 AM, but I don't think my key will work that early.

I am thankful that I got my 1/2 day para.
I am thankful that I have a career with decent pay.
I am thankful for private health insurance provided by DH's job and that DD can remain on it for the next two years.
I am thankful for vaccines that work.
I am thankful for a classroom that has windows that actually open letting in fresh air. (When I taught PreK, my windows opened only a couple of inches doing basically nothing.)
I am thankful for support of colleagues.

I am thankful for every one of you.

I am grateful for sleep! I often have the same issue as Summer, waking up middle of the night, brain starts going and I just can’t fall back to sleep. But so far this year, that hasn’t happened.

I an grateful for support in my classroom. I work with the ELD teacher who has been great at using something Talking Points (@Summer2018 maybe this could be helpful for you & your students family that speak Portuguese). I often get frustrated with so many different people coming in & out…I wish I could just have an assistant. But I also realize how fortunate I am to have help. And lots of eyes on these needy kids helps provide different perspectives which leads to more ideas on how to help them.

I’m grateful it’s Thursday. It’s been such a long and exhausting week! At least I’m approaching the weekend.

I like your thankful list, @Summer2018. I was up earlier than usual, too, but I'm normally the first one up here, so it didn't change the routine much. It's just darker out. 🌜

I'm thankful for coffee and kitty cuddles to start my day right,
and ditto on my DH's excellent health insurance and that DS can still be on it!

I'm thankful that after a frustrating search, DS and his friends found a place to rent,
and that we're planning to drive up to visit them on Saturday. :car:

Also echoing both who said vaccines, and that the 5-11 group will be eligible soon!
I have two little 6-year-olds in my life, and I will be reassured when they're safer.

I'm thankful that my decluttering project is going well.
I dropped off 3 boxes/bags of donations yesterday, and should have 3 more ready today.

I'm thankful for my local library, and the programs it provides.
I'm signed up for an abstract painting class later today - totally free. :Pinkbounc

And of course for all of you! :love:

Yesterday ended up being a rough night. We had tons of rain yesterday and temps dropped quickly in to the 50's. It was just miserable here. DD got soaked after school but could change since I picked her up at the athletic building and had to go straight to her check up. All good here. Then I had to drive her to her soccer game and sit through a full game, that she is not playing in (hoping to play her first game Saturday), in the pouring rain, lots of wind and the cold. It was horrible. Then because I didn't have the form to take DD home instead of the bus they weren't going to let me take them. 1. She didn't take the bus there and 2. the boys team does not do this. I only had to turn in the form once and can take him when ever I want. The girls want the forms every time. It is all confusing and I am guessing the boys coach is doing it wrong. They did finally let me take her and I filled out the form and emailed it to them when I got home so they had it to cover their butts.

Also during the game I got a horrible sinus headache. I haven't had one this bad in years. Medicine and water were in the car and I wasn't leaving my seat for it to get wet. So I suffered. I took sudefed when we got to the car and advil when I got home (I need pop for that). About 30 minutes of being home the headache was gone. I couldn't get warm for the longest time. I had my winter PJ's on and was under a blanket watching Survivor with DS. After the show I took a hot shower and that finally warmed me up. It was a very long day.

Today will be long too as we have conferences tonight and I know DS's will not go well. That kid just needs to turn in his homework. He told me this morning that he has only been doing homework in some classes and not all of them. This gets so frustrating. UGH!!!!

Today, I am thankful for teachers. I know you deal with so much and I appreciate all that you do. My kids have had some amazing teachers through the years and so far I like the ones this year. I haven't much interaction with DS's as I only met them at the open house. I have talked several times with DD's because of her concussion and they all worked with her to help her get through it. They even dimmed the lights in the rooms just for her.

I'm thankful it is Thursday? Is it Thursday? This week has been another one of "I'm so busy working I can't get my work done." At this point I've given up pretending I have even the tiniest bit of control, I'm just bouncing from thing to thing.

I'm thankful I remembered to book the pet nanny for next week while I'm on my business trip. I'm also thankful that my favorite work cohort is also going down with us and that the Engineer going likes to be the driver, so I don't have to do it.

I'm thankful for the rain we got over the weekend and the beautiful fall weather that has followed it.

And I'm thankful that Survivor started last night and that I had the opportunity to veg out and watch it. Not sure about the approach of pulling back the curtain and showing us what's going on in the background yet, like camera shots where we can see other camera people in frame. I am tired of the "have to retain the strong" mentality at the beginning of each season, if they are really going to mix it up I'd like to see mental challenges up front (more than puzzles being part of the challenge) so that's no longer an advantage.

Last edited:
TGIF! I hope everyone can relax and unwind tonight-

Picking my grandson up after school today to spend the weekend with us so his parents can get away with friends. I’ll take him home Sunday and spend the night there because it will be easier to get him off to school.
Maybe not the most relaxing weekend, but looking forward to it.

A story about lamps...

I've been looking for a new tripod style floor lamp and found one that had a little shelf between that legs that I liked but I didn't love the shade. Found another one with a cool wicker/cane shade but no shelf, and decided to order it. FedEx lost the lamp and after three weeks of waiting I canceled the order, got a
refund and ordered the lamp with the shelf. Weds the lamp with the cool shade showed up, they said just keep it. Today the lamp with the shelf gets delivered. So now I get to put the cool shade on the base with the shelf.

The moral of this story is that "bad" stuff can very easily become "good" stuff... and was possibly not even "bad" in the first place, which has been an overall theme in my life lately.

Last edited:
We have found companies are really trying to make things right when there are mix ups or delays-Appleseeds just sent me a $20.00 coupon because of a recent problem with my order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter