Sending DCL extra money after paying off cruise

makewifehappy

Disney husband who pleases her..
Here's a question my wife and I had. I don't remember the answer, which is why I ask.

Say we have a cruise paid off 5 months before the cruise. Can we still send money to DCL for an onboard credit, or do we have to wait until we get to the port to set up the credit?

You can send it if you wish...but why not just save it up at home?
Guess you can't spend it if you send it to DCL.

I was going to get my travel agent to do this for us as when I paid for the cruise the Australian dollar was almost on par with the US dollar. She suggested I just put the money into traveller's cheques and use these to pay for onboard credit. This turned out to be great advice.

The military rates came out after we paid off the cruise - and we got a nice surprise - money back!!!:cool1: We put part of it on an OBC account - with any luck we'll come back from the cruise with nothing on our credit cards!!!:lmao::rotfl2::lmao: well, that's our plan anyway....

I called and added money to my shipboard credit - they took my card info, and gave me a confirmation number and that was it.:thumbsup2 I wanted to have a certain amount and I knew I should do that- I probably would have spent it otherwise.

I read somewhere that you can pre-pay tips via DCL website 3 days prior to your trip.

Is this true & has anyone ever done this? I might so I don't have to worry about it on the last night.

Thanks!

My DW and I always prepay our tips. It is very convienant. The print out tickets just like the one you get for your dining rotation that has the persons name and the amount of the tip. We always have the option of adding some cash if we really like someone, which we usually do:woohoo:

I have been working a part-time job to save up for our cruise expenses. What a great idea to put that some of the money in the onboard account. With only 5 months to go, it's not enough money saved for a long enough time to earn significant interest in the bank, and this way I know it's going where it's intended.

Does anyone know if you can do this at WDW too, send money in ahead of time before your trip to have a credit on your KTTW card?

We do this every cruise, for many of the same reasons already cited.

1. We don't want to have to put anything on a credit card.
2. We would probably spend the $ on other things/something else if we just saved it at home.

What we do is try to pay off our cruise at least 6 months in advance. Then, for the remaining 6 months before we sail, we put whatever we can into our onboard account. For our cruise this November, we already have well over $1000 in our OB account (including what we've saved and our OBCs), and we'll likely keep putting some in there each month so that we don't have to worry about carrying money, charging stuff, etc.

Of course, we still bring a credit card just in case of emergencies, but I really like not having a credit card bill for our onboard expenses. We usually put enough in our OB account to cover all of our tips, drinks, Palo, excursions, souvenirs and $ for Shutters. I think last time we spent about $1500 for the week, so our goal is to have that much in our account this time before we go.

We do this also. Nice to not have such a huge bill at the end of the cruise. Not so much of a shocker! :)

Does anyone know if you can do this at WDW too, send money in ahead of time before your trip to have a credit on your KTTW card?

No you cannot but you can purchase a Disney Gift card or Disney Dollars. I would go with Disney dollars because if you have any left you can trade them back in for real $

Okay, this does not really answer anyone's questions, so sorry. :)

But, I know for our travel group, we are going to have different credit cards attached to different KTTW's, which I believe you can do fairly easy, right? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Can we call in ahead of time and take care of that so we don't have to deal with it once we get to port?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter