Secrets & Little Known Facts about rides

I'm just subscribing... I can't wait to read the whole thread tomorrow.

I saw the Kitchen Kabaret AA's for sale from "Mouse Surplus", a Disney salvage company.

I can confirm this as well. They were selling it off while I was buying fixtures for my Disney Kitchen! I also remember that the stuff was bringing SERIOUS money!!!
There are 2 big vendors on eBay - one is Mouse Surplus in Haines City, which also has a warehouse/store you can visit. We went in December - cool place!! They had a LOT of furniture/decor from WDW resort rehabs, and it was super cheap. You literally could have furnished your entire home with all the stuff they had. Condition varies (the stuff is used) but it's a very neat place to poke around.

I think they still have the prop plane from Killimanjaro Safaris and a ride vehicle from Horizons... or at least they did a few weeks ago.
There are actually more than 2.
There are several. But there are 3 main ones. Its been a while since I was doing the Disney buying, so I cant remember all of them.
I have light fixtures from All stars movies, All start music, and wilderness lodge. I have many of the banners that hung in the park, as well as 2 of the LED lighted banners that hung in the parks. I had to have them restored with new LEDs and new LED modules. The guy (I'm NOT supposed to be telling you this!!!) from the company that sold me the modules said that the modules were actually VERY cheap to make. He said that they sell the same modules to other companies for much less. He said (and I quote) "if YOU sold to Walt Disney World what would YOU charge???"
I don't mind getting them in trouble. They were a pain in the butt, and they never could quote me the same price twice. It took about 6 calls before I actually got the LED controllers for a fair price (it was like $150 or something). I was quoted about 4 different prices depending on who I spoke to.
We've bought lots of different things from MouseSurplus and several others for our house. http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/chileheadplumber/?mediafilter=all

Originally Posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree View Post
What exactly do they say??? I've never heard this before!!!

Of course I'm one of those who is always first out of the room...

My apologies if this has already been asked. I'm only on page 4....
That's what got me to start the thread! I can't remember if someone answered that or not. Point it out if you find that answer, would you?

I read the whole thread tonight. Its not been answered yet.popcorn::

I have a new one!!!

People have been caught and "not caught" sprinkling ashes of their deceased loved ones on both Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion for years.\

http://blogs.amctv.com/horror-hacker/2007/11/pirates-of-the-.php

I also remember seeing somewhere that CMs have to go around periodically and suck the remains up in dustbusters. I can't confirm the last part for certain, but it would make sense.
Anyone have more about this?

The little voices in the stretch room say different sorts of things, and it can vary between the two rooms. The voices are very soft and whispery and can be hard to understand, but if you listen closely you will hear some pretty chilling things like 'get out' and 'you're all gonna die', I believe. Just hearing the little voices is creepy enough for me, no matter what they're saying!

~The sidewalks are red because they want ot enhance the green in the grass- green and red are opposites on the color wheel enhancing the green.
Nope.

in so many words: it has to do with the fact that the red sidewalks reflected additional red light into the faces of subjects standing on them, and they looked better in photos developed from Kodak film (in the early days of DLR the Kodak supplier was none other than Walt's pal Art Linkletter).
I also remember seeing somewhere that CMs have to go around periodically and suck the remains up in dustbusters.
It does indeed happen -- a dear friend of mine personally witnessed it when she was training at the HM. They don't use Dustbusters -- they have to close the attraction and have Custodial CMs use industrial vacuums equipped with HEPA filters (yet another reason why the HM might close suddenly for unspecified "technical difficulties").

Personally, I think having the remains of a loved one unceremoniously tossed into a backstage dumpster is a pretty ignoble end. Of course, that's just my opinion.
The little voices in the stretch room say different sorts of things, and it can vary between the two rooms.
No, it can't.

The same audio track plays in each room, each time.

This is my best picture of "Ariel" in the Peter Pan Ride! I know that there are several better ones out there - and someone had a REALLY cool comparison between the "original" mermaid and the repainted "Ariel" Mermaid - Maybe it will get posted later!

ry%3D400

Here's something I noticed while there last week that is probably nothing, but it caught my eye. During the Winnie the Pooh ride when you're going through Pooh's Heffalump/Woozle nightmare the building blocks spell out H-U-N-N-E-Y when the rest of the ride (as well as the stories) spell it hunny.

Just one of those little quirks that grab my attention. ;-)

I can't wait to see how many things I can find when I go this year. I will definately have to take my cheat sheet. :)

We got to ride in the front of the monorail October of 2008. I'd done it before, but it was the first time I noticed an owl over the monorail entrance of the Contemporary. I asked the driver if it had always been there, and she told me that it was always there and it was to scare other birds away so they don't come into the resort.

This is true. Owls are natural predators of birds so the presence of an owl statue can keep birds away. However, the owl statue needs to be moved every now and then or the birds will "learn" that the owl is fake and ignore it.

There are major corporations down here in Southern Florida that have fake owls perched on their rooftops.

The camel started out life as part of a parade float and would spit water on people along the parade route.

Here's one from JIYI... There's a scene where Figment is standing on what looks like a loading dock. As you exit that scene and if you're in the last car, watch Figment, as you're about to lose sight of him he often turns and waves "good-bye" to you!

i have a video of myself getting split on from the parade back in the 90s!

Nope.

in so many words: it has to do with the fact that the red sidewalks reflected additional red light into the faces of subjects standing on them, and they looked better in photos developed from Kodak film (in the early days of DLR the Kodak supplier was none other than Walt's pal Art Linkletter).
This certainly makes sense, and I have heard an explaination as to why the curbs are a different color then the sidewalks and street, when we were on our KTTK tour ...

We were told by our guide that they are a different color to alert you that you are about to "change elevation" -- step down or step up. It is a safety measure.

We were told by our guide that they are a different color to alert you that you are about to "change elevation" -- step down or step up. This is why the ramps on the corners are not red. It is a safety measure.
Oh, that, too... but for safety's sake they could have used any contrasting color. Red was chosen for the reasons I mentioned in the above post.

Oh, that, too... but for safety's sake they could have used any contrasting color. Red was chosen for the reasons I mentioned in the above post.
I saw the same thing on the Travel Channel (or was it Discovery..?) the other day. They were talking about that very same thing, and that's what they said. It was all about pictures.:thumbsup2

"To Serve Man" is there! Not in the unload room, however. It is in the far left library where you see the Rod Sterling pre-show. I've tried so many times to get a pictures of it but between the dim lighting and crowds, I've never captured it and I'm determined to get a pic when I go again in 12 days! I'm hoping I can get a CM to help me or point out more things.

As promised, I managed to get a picture of the "To Serve Man" book! It is in the left library, on a bookshelf to the right of the door.
IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

And in the library on the right, I spotted this little piece of paper on the desk that has the stained glass lamp on it:

IMG_1825.jpg

(Sorry the pic is dark and fuzzy -- I'm not a skilled photographer and I only had a few seconds to capture it.)

So I knew the Mystic Seer fortune telling machine from the Twilight Zone episode "Nick of Time" starring William Shatner (yes, *that* William Shatner) had to be nearby!

IMG_1828.jpg

The machine is directly above the desk, in the middle of all the artifacts on the top of the book shelves.

I tried asking two library CMs if they could point out some other props, but suprisingly, both admitted they knew very little about the decor. One claimed that everything in the libraries was from the show, which I don't think is accurate. It is so hard to see in the library! It is so dimly lit and they turn the lights off pretty quickly!

I'm a huge Twilight Zone fan so I have a great time trying to spot props from various episodes. I would love to be able to examine the libraries and the basements with the lights on someday!

As promised, I managed to get a picture of the "To Serve Man" book! It is in the left library, on a bookshelf to the right of the door.
IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

And in the library on the right, I spotted this little piece of paper on the desk that has the stained glass lamp on it:

IMG_1825.jpg

(Sorry the pic is dark and fuzzy -- I'm not a skilled photographer and I only had a few seconds to capture it.)

So I knew the Mystic Seer fortune telling machine from the Twilight Zone episode "Nick of Time" starring William Shatner (yes, *that* William Shatner) had to be nearby!

IMG_1828.jpg

The machine is directly above the desk, in the middle of all the artifacts on the top of the book shelves.

I tried asking two library CMs if they could point out some other props, but suprisingly, both admitted they knew very little about the decor. One claimed that everything in the libraries was from the show, which I don't think is accurate. It is so hard to see in the library! It is so dimly lit and they turn the lights off pretty quickly!

I'm a huge Twilight Zone fan so I have a great time trying to spot props from various episodes. I would love to be able to examine the libraries and the basements with the lights on someday!

Oh I love the Twilight Zone episodes. I have not seen the William Shatner episode yet.

I love watching the show and seeing things that I remember seeing in the TOT.

Oh I love the Twilight Zone episodes. I have not seen the William Shatner episode yet.

I love watching the show and seeing things that I remember seeing in the TOT.

You definitely have to watch it! His "unique" way of speaking was not as pronounced back then, but you can still pick it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter