Sandy is WRECKING my plans...

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by bankgirl05, Oct 28, 2012.

  1. bankgirl05

    bankgirl05 DIS Veteran

    Dec 9, 2008
    We are (were?) planning on leaving Wednesday afternnon for our drive to WDW. (Of course, if we make it through the storm, without damage and still have power) but I am worried that what would normally be a 16-18 hour drive will be MUCH longer. (possible detours etc.) Will Disney hold my room if we don't arrive on Thursday,and allow us to check in on Friday instead? I already did online check in...

    I am not worried about losing the money of the first night... I guess I am just hoping a tree doesn't fall on our house, or anything catastrophic to the point of having to postpone the entire trip, rather than just delay.:sick:

  2. Katers

    Katers Mouseketeer

    Aug 26, 2008
    I don't know the answer to your question (though I would venture to say that they would hold your reservation...especially if you called and told them your situation) but I would like to wish you good luck and safety! Being from South Louisiana, I know how ugly things COULD get. Hopefully, your family and property find it to be much ado about nothing! And have a great trip!

  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Resort.


    to hide this advert.
  4. goopysolelady

    goopysolelady DIS Veteran

    Jul 16, 2008
    Thoughts and prayers are with you and all our Disboard friends on the east coast. I, too, hope you come out of this awful storm without damage! :grouphug:

    We had a similiar experience a few years back dealing with Hurricane Ike. Our problem was the opposite though! :rotfl: At the last minute, in order to get out of Houston before the airport closed, we changed our flight to a MUCH earlier one. We arrived at the Poly before noon; told them of our "adventure" and they immediately found available rooms for us. Visiting with CM's during check-in and later in the day, we discovered they were doing everything possible for guests effected by the Hurricane. Some of the guests were scheduled to leave but the closing of the Houston airport made that impossible. CM's were finding rooms for them wherever possible...most of them on property.

    Once you're on the road and can judge your progress, you'll be better able to judge when your arrival time will be. If you find yourself "running behind", I'd call your resort, speak with a manager and explain your situation. Let them know you have no problem paying for your full visit...just "please don't give our room away if we fail to arrive on the scheduled date"! :rotfl2: Judging from our experience, I feel they'll be very understanding. They've faced "weather situations" many times before. GOOD LUCK to you and your family...stay safe! :tink:
  5. smidgy

    smidgy dimples

    Aug 27, 2006
    oh my.. I feel for you. any chance you can leave early and beat the storm? evenif you have to driv eout of the way to the west? stay in a knights' inn, or motel 6 in tenenssee of something for a night?

    a year and a half ago, we should have left a day earlier than planned. we left on a sunday.. sat. was our grandaughter's bday party.

    hubby kept telling me, "this tropical storm LEE is going to be a problem, let's leave a day early and beat it."

    er are in Illinois, and I didn't think it would be a problem, and didn't want to get anyone angry (family) OMG, that storm HUNG over tennessee and georgia for days!

    we ended up getting off the interstate (no visiblilty at all) and drivng on 27 al the way through GA

    if you can leave early, and vary routes, do so

    or, if you have to leave a day later (which we have done, due to an ice storm in KY, ) do that. safety first. I'm sure disney knows about the storm... if nothing else , they should hold your room.
  6. StuckInKS

    StuckInKS DIS Veteran

    May 30, 2009
    We got there late on our trip last year and they rebooked our checkin date as the date we arrived, so we still got all our days. Just give them a call if you are delayed, they will work with you.
  7. DebbieB

    DebbieB DIS Veteran

    Aug 24, 1999
    I'd worry about your home and safety first. Disney will always be there. If you do go late, call Disney and tell them you will not be there until Friday, they should hold the room. Best Wishes.
  8. Avonlady1001

    Avonlady1001 DIS Veteran

    Jul 16, 2007
    Sending good thoughts, OP for no damage & a safe trip down. I'm on Long Island & in a similar spot. We're flying out (fingers crossed) first thing Thurs morning. My family is stuck in CA with cancelled flights & who knows if they'll make it home in time to catch their Friday morning flights to Orlando, though they should as long as they can find a flight with spots open when air travel resumes. We're all cruising DCL on Saturday.

    Just hoping it all comes together & works out. :)

    Just call Disney, explain the situation & I'm sure they'll hold your ressie. I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Safe travels!
  9. hill6

    hill6 DIS Veteran

    Oct 23, 2007
    I am sure things will be fine. There will be minimal wind/rain around by Wednesday. Hopefully nothing will happen to your house during the storm.

    Work today to get everything ready that you will need for your trip. Get the laundry done while the power is on. We go away next week to Hawaii. I spent all weekend washing everything for that trip.

    I am sure Disney will hold your room for you. I 95 will be fine after the storm.
  10. djblu883

    djblu883 DIS Veteran

    Jun 5, 2006
    Hope you have travel insurance. This is why I always tell people to get travel insurance!!! My sister was to fly out today from DC and she can't! Expensive trip overseas .... And insurance covers driving trips too!!!!
  11. cruisingkat

    cruisingkat DIS Veteran

    Jul 15, 2009
    Definitely give them a call. For the Princess half marathon, our daughter had her flight cancelled because a blizzard was supposed to be coming and she wasn't able to rebook for two days. She ended up renting a car and driving down so she missed the first night. We had driven down to Disney earlier and when she called us to tell us of the change in her plans, I went down to the front desk and let them know that she would be arriving a day late. They told me that it was good that I called as they would then hold her room. If they didn't have any notification, they could release her room the next day.
  12. LilyWDW

    LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

    May 7, 2006
    Call them! Don't just leave it to chance.
  13. Missytara

    Missytara I'm all ears!

    Apr 3, 2009
    You need to call and let them know; they will not know why you are late and will cancel your reservation.
  14. aaarcher86

    aaarcher86 Registered

    Feb 17, 2010
    Disney policy is to cancel out checkout the day after check in with no arrival.

    Just call - they're doing lots of things differently with the hurricane to accommodate folks.

    Keep them posted. You'll be fine.

    Safe travels!
  15. denneg

    denneg DIS Veteran

    May 21, 2009
    We are in the same boat. We have 2 rooms booked, arriving on Thursday. DS and I are the only 2 out of 8 who are positive we can go on Thursday. DH is military and won't be coming until the weekend, and the other couple both work for the electric company so they don't know what will happen. We have insurance but the other family doesn't - and if we don't check in on Thursday, we would lose our free dining. I told her to call and see what they would do - if she does online check in and puts me down, maybe they'll let me check into their room too in order to keep it safe. We should know today or hopefully early tomorrow if they can go Thursday - which I really hope they can, since flights are rebooking for Sunday and Monday! I think they are figuring that their worst case scenario, they throw the kids in the car Friday night and drive, but we'll see.

    Hope your situation works out!! We survived Sandy without many problems, we were one of the lucky ones.
  16. wiigirl

    wiigirl DIS Veteran

    Oct 29, 2012
    This....Call them...
  17. bankgirl05

    bankgirl05 DIS Veteran

    Dec 9, 2008
    Thanks everyone!!! You are great!!! We came through the storm very well... no damage, never even lost power. We were VERY, VERY LUCKY!!!

    :worship::banana:We will be leaving on time tomorrow :cool1::cool1:

    I am sooo excited!!!:hyper:
  18. elaw

    elaw DIS Veteran

    Jul 9, 2011
    Very glad to hear :thumbsup2

Share This Page