S/O carry on etiquette

What is your opinion on the overhead bin space

• Backpacks/personal items should ALWAYS go under the seat

Votes: 65 40.9%
  • Backpacks/personal items should go under the seat if bin space becomes scarce.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I packed light so that I would have the leg space, my packpack is going in the overhead

Votes: 40 25.2%
  • Other - just because we need an other

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters
What happens when a 140lb great dane lands on your head during turbulance? 😬

Really, the question is asking who should be inconvenienced, or if one inconveniencing is more acceptable than another. Person A is inconvenienced if they need to gate check a bag. Person B is inconvenienced if they no longer have foot room that they planned for. Neither is a life altering experience. So why should preventing Person A's inconveniencing be more important?

Most of the airlines I ride in have a one personal item and one carry-on policy. One is to go under the seat and the other in the overhead bin.

Since that is their general policy, it's not my responsibility to ensure other people have space in the overhead bin. It's the airline's responsibility. And in smaller planes will they put the carry-on in the checked luggage compartment because there;s not enough room.

And to add an option: who takes his carry on through security to have it checked in for free at the gate when they look for volunteers to check in carry ons as it is a full flight and they will be short on bin space ;)

Does one get extra perks for volunteering to check in a carry on? Unless you already have a bag checked in, that means walking an extra half of a terminal and waiting 10-20 minutes for the checked bag. And there is always a possibility they lose BOTH checked in bags. (I've had them lose my checked bag once. :badpc: )

I like being in the taxi at that point and already on my way than waiting for a checked bag. I try not to check in any bags when I can.

Last edited:
Ouch. Considering my carry on would be where all the stuff I need with me would be (medications, power cords etc) that hurts.

Yeah, so in that case, if you have super important stuff, they should never be put in a carry-on that is susceptible to gate checking. Every flight I've been on this year has been full and numerous people have been forced to gate check. For that reason, meds, etc...stuff I cannot live without goes in a backpack or other small bag that does not look like luggage.

Does one get extra perks for volunteering to check in a carry on? Unless you already have a bag checked in, that means walking an extra half of a terminal and waiting 10-20 minutes for the checked bag. And there is always a possibility they lose BOTH checked in bags. (I've had them lose my checked bag once. :badpc: )

I like being in the taxi at that point and already on my way than waiting for a checked bag. I try not to check in any bags when I can.
I did volunteer once and didn’t get anything but a thank you. (And yes, my bag missed the plane and didn’t arrive until the next morning.) I was on my way home from a conference and the suitcase only had dirty clothes and travel sized toiletries in it. I was willing to take the risk so that someone else who needed the items at their destination could keep their own.

I'm usually like passenger B, but I have a purse as my personal item and the backpack is my carry on. I check a suitcase. I don't really care if my backpack means someone else might have to gate check their bag.
This is me if I'm flying on one of the legacy carriers or SW home. SW to my destination I usually have one checked bag, a roller bag that goes up above and my backpack that is normally my carryon under the seat in front.

I have seen Delta a lot recently forcing folks to consolidate down to two carry on items. So if a woman had an over the shoulder purse, a backpack, and a carry on suitcase, they wouldn't let her board until she put the purse in the backpack.

I understand it, but what keeps her from taking the purse out of the backpack while on the jetbridge?
Not much, depending on the mood of the FAs at the door. I've seen them take people out of line until they consolidate it down.
Yes. The only time I've had the gate agents say there would be a charge was if the bag wouldn't fit in the overhead bin (this was just a regular plane where standard sized would fit - not the little puddle jumpers where pretty much everyone has to gate check) because of its size OR if it was oversized based on the sizer (and yes, we all had to size our luggage). Granted it was pretty obvious that there were a couple of bags that somehow got through TSA but were clearly bigger than carry-on size.
Not TSA's job to check bag size. I've seen bags the size of my checked bag go through screening. But...
Does TSA regulate/monitor the size of bags going through security screening? I didn't think they did . . .
They aren't supposed to as long as it fits through the scanner. I have seen some reports of people saying that TSA harassed them about the size of their carryon.
I have been on a plane where the staff went along the overhead bins and removed any bags which could be under the seat in front and gave them back to their owners so suitcases could be put in the over head.
When I put my backpack that is the size of personal item in the bin, I have a small drawstring bag that I put the few things I need during flight in. I would politely point out to the FA that what they are asking me to do is against airline policy and federal regulation.

I did volunteer once and didn’t get anything but a thank you. (And yes, my bag missed the plane and didn’t arrive until the next morning.)

:(

I was on my way home from a conference and the suitcase only had dirty clothes and travel sized toiletries in it. I was willing to take the risk so that someone else who needed the items at their destination could keep their own.

That was very nice of you considering they would have been missing their bag, (assuming it would have ended up in the same place as yours,) had they been on the start of their journey. :littleangel:

My backpack always goes in the overhead bin, so I have the leg space. I get violently motion sick so can't do anything on the plane anyhow, so don't need it with me. I keep my wallet in the seat back pocket and wear my sweater/sweatshirt (or use it like a blanket/pillow) and hope for the best. My backpack contains meds, toiletries, and clothes for one day, in case I get diverted/delayed overnight, plus my nook and laptop, with chargers, to keep me busy on layovers (or if I get diverted).

I think there'd be more space in the overhead bins if the airlines enforced the "your carry-on must fit in >this< space" size-checker before allowing the bag to be taken on the plane. I understand not wanting to pay to check a bag, but on SW (which we fly the majority of the time) people who bring weeks' worth of luggage on board and take up more than their share of the bin space just... annoy me. I hate it when folks don't think the rules apply to them.

Also... when we fly out of Bangor, carry-ons get gate checked to the first destination. The planes out of BGR are usually so small there is barely space for a backpack in the overhead bins.

Last edited:
I chose this "I packed light so that I would have the leg space, my packpack is going in the overhead" which is mostly true. I intentionally pack light and put my personal item/backpack in the overhead space because I have muscular dystrophy and my legs cramp easily and a personal item under the seat in front of me (even though I'm pretty short) is very painful. I don't usually also have a carry-on that is different than my personal bag and I don't think everyone else is more entitled to overhead bin space because they choose to bring a larger bag (my bag deserves the same space generally, and I think it's even more true since mine affects my physical health). If I didn't easily cramp, I might care less.

It's me, hi, I'm the problem, it's me (sorry, I think I'm the one who sorta derailed the other thread with overhead bin comments. It was slightly related but also slightly not).

Anyway, my backpack always goes under the seat in front of me, regardless of whether I put a small roller bag in the overhead bin or I have a checked bag. It's primarily because all my 'in-flight' stuff is there (tablet, snacks, water, etc.) so I want easy access. And partially because it fits, so that leaves more room in the overhead bins.

I fly SW all the time, and they are constantly repeating during boarding to put smaller items under the seat in front of you and leave the overhead bins for the larger items/roller bags). So that's probably been drilled into my head too. lol.
I get this and have heard the announcements too - but honestly it's a little weird to me that we start off with the presumption that people who take up more space are in the right. It's a little bit like how extroverts are considered the norm/default. The question could just as easily be asked, "People who pack suitcases as a carry-on, are you rude for taking up so much space when there is more room in the cargo area" but that would cause a ruckus.

I voted the if space is needed one.

Personally….this would never apply to me, because my bag will always go under the seat. I wouldn’t even consider putting it in the overhead. My carry-on suitcase does go in the overhead - we don’t check bags.

Do I feel passengers that are only bringing a personal bag have the right to put that bag in the overhead - yes, without a doubt. If space is an issue, and if the airplane attendant asks passengers with a bag in the overhead to move it under the seat to make room for others, do I think it’d be nice for people to do that - yes. But I still don’t think they have to. If they made the plans to travel super light, get on the plane early (some cases, they pay extra to get on the plane early) then they have the right to do what they want. It’s no different than Genie+….everyone pays the same amount to get in the park, but if you pay extra for Genie+ then you’re not waiting 1 or 2 hours for a ride. Everyone pays money for their flight and if you pay more to get on first, then you have the right to use the overhead first and get the seat you want. Even though they have the right, I do think it’d be courteous for someone to move their bag from the overhead to under the seat, but then again it’s also courteous for people to say please & thank you and many times that doesn’t happen either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter