S/O carry on etiquette

What is your opinion on the overhead bin space

• Backpacks/personal items should ALWAYS go under the seat

Votes: 65 40.9%
  • Backpacks/personal items should go under the seat if bin space becomes scarce.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I packed light so that I would have the leg space, my packpack is going in the overhead

Votes: 40 25.2%
  • Other - just because we need an other

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters

china mom

DIS Veteran
The passengers behaving badly thread took a drift into the topic of overhead bin space and I was wondering what everyone else thought about this.

Passenger A has a 21 inch rollerboard and a backpack and plans to put the backpack under the seat - as they should.

Passenger B values their leg space and only brought a backpack and plans to use their allotted overhead bin space for the backpack.

The bins fill up and it looks like some bags may end up being gate checked. Should passenger B have to give up their legroom even though the backpack is taking up less bin space than the rollerboard? Is giving up the space the right thing to do so that other passengers don't get gate checked?

I'm torn on this one. Everyone is entitled to carry on two items, one for the overhead and one for under the seat in front of you. I think the NICE thing to do is if you only have a single item and it will fit under the seat is to put it under the seat, leaving more room in the overhead. HOWEVER, a passenger is entitled to use the overhead space. So if a passenger wants/needs the extra room for their feet, I don't think it should be denied them.

I ALWAYS put my backpack/bag/personal items under the seat. I don't want them out of my sight, and have easy access if I need something. I put nothing in bin but family members do.

DS#2 travels often for short stints so his only item might be his backpack with clothes etc so ... it is maximum sized allowed. He puts that in the bin. If he had two items one should go under the seat to leave room for all.

My only WISH is that under the seat worked so none of this happened .... and through the armrests and on the back of the seat ..... 🤮

1691677857773.png

I think if you bring 2 items, one should go in the bin and the other under the seat. If you only bring one item and it could fit either place, you should put it wherever you prefer. Even though they always make a lot of warnings about needing to gate check things and running out of space, we've never actually needed to gate check when we didn't want to, other than when the aircraft was small and none of the regular carry-ons were going to fit anyway.

If it’s an airline that doesn’t allow carry ons unless you pay (frontier, spirit) and you didn’t pay for it then it goes under your seat.

If you’re on an airline that allows carry ons or you paid for a carry on you should be allowed to use the overhead bin and give yourself leg space.

I'm torn on this one. Everyone is entitled to carry on two items, one for the overhead and one for under the seat in front of you. I think the NICE thing to do is if you only have a single item and it will fit under the seat is to put it under the seat, leaving more room in the overhead. HOWEVER, a passenger is entitled to use the overhead space. So if a passenger wants/needs the extra room for their feet, I don't think it should be denied them.
ITA - I would normally say the backpack should go under the seat, but if it's their only carry on bag, they have every right to put it in the overhead.

I usually try to pack light. If I can put it under the seat, I do. I like to think that if everyone did that there would be enough overhead space that no one would have to gate check their carry-on.

My backpack always goes under the seat and stays with me, as I keep things in there I want for the flight (and don't want to keep inconveniencing others sitting with me so I can get a bag overhead). The only time I think people are being rude is if the plane is full, space is short, and they put both carry-ons in the overhead compartments. And I'm sure that happens.....

Backpack under seat. It has my ID, tablets, chargers, medications. So always with me.
We check bags and bring a carry on, DH has a CPAP machine and a nebulizer. Those go overhead.
If you only have one bag, I would be okay with it going overhead. If you have 2....only if there is plenty of space.
Lately they overheads have been full and the airlines want people to check their carry on bags.

My daughter went to Europe for 10 days in May with just a carry on, and the only concern she ran into was when a Flight Attendant moved it around in an overhead bin and comments how heavy it was. My daughter says it was not only within the size requirements, but was one of the smallest in the bin. Wonder if airlines will ever put weight restrictions on carry ons?

My daughter went to Europe for 10 days in May with just a carry on, and the only concern she ran into was when a Flight Attendant moved it around in an overhead bin and comments how heavy it was. My daughter says it was not only within the size requirements, but was one of the smallest in the bin. Wonder if airlines will ever put weight restrictions on carry ons?
Many already have weight limits for carryons. Though it’s enforced less

If they announce to put purses/backpacks under the seat, then please do so. Do not pretend you did not hear it and wait for a flight attendant to go through the bins when they need to make room for trolleys.

And to add an option: who takes his carry on through security to have it checked in for free at the gate when they look for volunteers to check in carry ons as it is a full flight and they will be short on bin space ;)

Faster to deboard the plane to go wait for luggage....
the place I regularly fly the most is MCO and by the time I get to the luggage carousel, usually after a restroom break, it's usually already there waiting for me. I've never waited more than 5-10 min for suitcase.
But for full disclosure, I'm partially disabled so the less things I have to lug through an airport, the better.

Last edited:
We pack light compared to some...LOL We just flew home 4 adults after a 10 day vacation with 3 checked bags, 2 carryon's, 4 personal items and 1 medical bag all between the 4 of us. There was a mildly irritated woman on our flight that was not understanding why she could not get an entire bin for herself as she had some hat she didn't want to wear but didn't want to crush and pack, a big and bulky sweater poncho, her regular sized carry-on and her massive tote purse/personal item and she didn't want to sit with any of her stuff in her seat with her :rotfl2:

I prefer my personal item at my feet but I am also short so it also operates as a foot rest as my feet just dangle- :rotfl2:Plus I like to have my stuff handy for the flight.

I have seen Delta a lot recently forcing folks to consolidate down to two carry on items. So if a woman had an over the shoulder purse, a backpack, and a carry on suitcase, they wouldn't let her board until she put the purse in the backpack.

I understand it, but what keeps her from taking the purse out of the backpack while on the jetbridge?

I have seen Delta a lot recently forcing folks to consolidate down to two carry on items. So if a woman had an over the shoulder purse, a backpack, and a carry on suitcase, they wouldn't let her board until she put the purse in the backpack.

I understand it, but what keeps her from taking the purse out of the backpack while on the jetbridge?
That's exactly what I do. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter