*Rumor* Extra Magic Hours going away

Sorry I didn't read all 6 pages, but if EMH is "going away", it is to be replaced by a different early morning perk tied to Fast Pass+. I think they well know by now the importance of early admission perks to putting people in hotels.
EMH is not going away just yet.

So I think it's been put to rest? EMH is not going away yet; all the furor (and my agita) was for nothing. But I'd just like to point to one line in the Easy WDW article that, to me, shows I missed the forest for the trees.

"Or like a lot of things at Walt Disney World, this may just be a contract thing and Disney is negotiating with the various unions about hours and pay."

It might not have been about manipulating crowds or incentivizing return visits or giving less while charging more (although as a corporation, Disney devotes entire divisions to all those things). It's. about. labor. negotiations.

But I'd just like to point to one line in the Easy WDW article that, to me, shows I missed the forest for the trees.
No doubt you missed it by design. That seems to be the theme of all news now-a-days. Big title that suggests one thing small message at the end indicating that it might not actually be as advertised at the beginning.

Exceptional management died in 1994 in a helicopter crash.

The exceptional part of Walt was that he had vision, worked with Imagineering, but listened to Roy as well on practical matters. That vision continued on until 1994. Post 1994 it was just about the money.

The more this has been brought up, the more I really start to agree with it. A company so diverse as Disney really does require almost 2 different types of personalities at the helm, the past has proven this to be true.

Walt/Roy, nothing really needs to be said for how great this team was, almost everyone in America knows about Walt, but outside of the Disney crazies (like all of us), Roy really doesn't get the credit he deserves. Eisner/Wells were a fantastic duo as well, you can see how all that changed when Wells passed away in 1994.

Iger needs his partner, imagine how it would be with Iger and the studios and someone else running the Theme Park Side.

You're comments to me regarding "lessons in profit" are out of line, there is zero reason to be condescending. We have a difference of opinion on the way WDW business is ran, and there is nothing wrong with that. I understand profits and profit margins as I deal with them on a daily basis, my opinion on this topic and WDW is how much of a profit margin is good for long term business and short term business. Expanding your profit margins are almost always good for a short term outlook, but on the flip side of that, its usually bad for the long term.

Coming across as being condescending goes both ways. I felt your response to peg103 when you said, "I really don't think anyone here needs a lesson on what profits are and how they work.", came across as very condescending by you. So, I guess we are both guilty. No worries.

Coming across as being condescending goes both ways. I felt your response to peg103 when you said, "I really don't think anyone here needs a lesson on what profits are and how they work.", came across as very condescending by you. So, I guess we are both guilty. No worries.

That comment was in reference to the following:

Profit is all that money left over after Expenses

I think its fair to assume that the majority of us are adults here and know what profits are, so I felt that comment was a little condescending as well. My response was to peg trying to give a "lesson" on something everyone of us should know, wasn't needed.

Well, Disney is first and foremost a Hollywood studio corporation. Profits mean something entirely different over there. In fact, "profits" are pretty much non-existent...money left over after expenses goes to pay for the flops...which is why you'll here that you should never take "points on the net" on a movie contract...

Well, Disney is first and foremost a Hollywood studio corporation. Profits mean something entirely different over there. In fact, "profits" are pretty much non-existent...money left over after expenses goes to pay for the flops...which is why you'll here that you should never take "points on the net" on a movie contract...

ehh, I'm not trying to disagree just to disagree, but if profits were not existent in the studios, they'd get out out that business pretty quickly. Disney has lost a lot of money on some movies lately, but they do make a LOT of money on others.

Look at Avengers: Age of Ultron, if you take the estimated budget $280 million and the box office of $1.3 billion, that's an estimated profit around $1 billion. That would more than cover the loses of movies like "Tomorrowland".

Most of their movies make a decent amount of profit, Iger has done very well there.

ehh, I'm not trying to disagree just to disagree, but if profits were not existent in the studios, they'd get out out that business pretty quickly. Disney has lost a lot of money on some movies lately, but they do make a LOT of money on others.

Look at Avengers: Age of Ultron, if you take the estimated budget $280 million and the box office of $1.3 billion, that's an estimated profit around $1 billion. That would more than cover the loses of movies like "Tomorrowland".

Most of their movies make a decent amount of profit, Iger has done very well there.

It's Hollywood accounting. It isn't that the studio doesn't make money. It's just that no individual film makes a "net profit". Ask a director, or a producer, or an actor, etc.

I wonder if Disney does this purposely to see what people think (without having to take time and money to send surveys) and to gage a reaction from the public.

It's Hollywood accounting. It isn't that the studio doesn't make money. It's just that no individual film makes a "net profit". Ask a director, or a producer, or an actor, etc.
I have to agree with Chip here. I have no idea how accounting works when applied to a specific movie, but it really doesn't matter. Profits (or loses) report up to the company financials. In this case the company (Disney) is publically traded and the financials are made public.

I have to agree with Chip here. I have no idea how accounting works when applied to a specific movie, but it really doesn't matter. Profits (or loses) report up to the company financials. In this case the company (Disney) is publically traded and the financials are made public.

Profits for the _company_ are different from the profits from the _studio_, which are also different than the profits from any individual production. It is how studios have operated for years, but those involved have been getting sick of it as of late and there are many pending lawsuits calling into question the prevailing practices.

Really, I didn't just make this up. It's well known. I only brought it up because someone wanted to explain what profit is, and in Hollywood, it's not as simple as what you're taught in school...

Last edited:
No doubt you missed it by design. That seems to be the theme of all news now-a-days. Big title that suggests one thing small message at the end indicating that it might not actually be as advertised at the beginning.

In EasyWDWs defense, it was completely the opposite. The title simply stated that EMH was not listed. The article then stated that they weren't sure if it was an oversight or if they were eliminating them.

In EasyWDWs defense, it was completely the opposite. The title simply stated that EMH was not listed. The article then stated that they weren't sure if it was an oversight or if they were eliminating them.

What's interesting is EasyWDW and this topic on The Dis arent the only ones that took off an ran with it. I follow a lot of other Disney sites on facebook, like Chip n Company and Disney Dads just to name a few, they were all running with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter