Rumor by agent - Blue Card min. going up

Here's the big question for DVC though. If you were only going to buy the minimum, what is the draw over resale? Are they planning extra incentives? Extra discounts? More events? The unknown of the current incentives has always been that they could go away. For those buying a direct to upgrade for incentives what is the draw to buy an additional 25 with the exception of having an additional 25?

The minimum for perks is 100 so one would have to buy that. If someone has a family of 4, the AP discount can save around $2k a year. In that case, it pays for the extra above resale in 4 to 5 years.

And, you get points to stay at RIV and any other new resorts...which could be something people want to do.

I bought with my adult kids at RIV and now all of them and their families are eligible for it. Only my DS is married with kids right now, but we now have 8 people who are eligible for that discount.

Do you think Disney might limit the number of eligible people for the AP discount in the future with a direct contract? Is eight the max number right now?

Do you think Disney might limit the number of eligible people for the AP discount in the future with a direct contract? Is eight the max number right now?

I can't imagine its worth the time. You still have to live in the same house or be named on the contract.

Would it really lead to many more sales? I would suspect not as most extra people are likely children or elderly parents who are not buying DVC anytime soon anyways.

I can't imagine its worth the time. You still have to live in the same house or be named on the contract.

Would it really lead to many more sales? I would suspect not as most extra people are likely children or elderly parents who are not buying DVC anytime soon anyways.
Is 8 the max number?

Is 8 the max number?

I don't know for a fact but I think I read its like 4 main membership holders get 4-8 people each? So its quite a large number.

That being said I have to think its a tiny minority of contracts that have that large number of people. Plus most memberships likely have way more than just a minimum 100 points direct and a good portion have points from back when even 25 points got you direct membership.

I don't know for a fact but I think I read its like 4 main contract holders get 4-8 people each? So its quite a large number.

That being said I have to think its a tiny minority of contracts that have that large number of people.
Right. But I think people might just get creative in the future and then Disney may adjust? Just a thought.

What is it that makes you skeptical of what the guides are telling multiple Disers? Not trying to be argumentative just haven’t been here long enough to know when to be skeptical.
It's a common timeshare practice for salespeople to mention things that could happen but haven't or even to mislead you far worse. DVC's are less guilty than most but there are plenty of examples of half-truths and worse in some cases. I have lot's of stories and have seen hundreds if not thousands of examples that make this a 1 on a 10 pt scale even if truly fabricated though I tend to believe it. A good example with DVC is the idea that DVC will restrict resale buyers to their home resort only, a common one even before Riviera.

Right. But I think people might just get creative in the future and then Disney may adjust? Just a thought.

I had thought about it before but I could see certain benefits going to "while on direct points stays only". Meaning discounted tickets, food, ect would only be eligible for the days when 100% of your points that you used to book are direct.

Is 8 the max number?
From the Guidelines
  1. WDW and DL Passes may only be purchased by Members for themselves and their immediate family living in their household, up to a total of eight (8) per year.
But what isn't clear is how they limit the 8. Is it 8 per contract? Is it 8 per household? Is it 8 per member? I've never seen it tested, maybe someone else has more information.

I think the difference is there is a specific date give now as opposed to "it will be going up soon".

We will see but weird to see multiple people mention it. Also asked my guide as well didn't hear back today though.

I had thought about it before but I could see certain benefits going to "while on direct points stays only". Meaning discounted tickets, food, ect would only be eligible for the days when 100% of your points that you used to book are direct.
That would not be consistent with their past history and would be a nightmare to administer so I doubt we'll see such micromanaging.

That would not be consistent with their past history and would be a nightmare to administer so I doubt we'll see such micromanaging.

I guess what is different in their past? I know they lock out resale from Riviera so I don't really see a difference here about having the system flag the account or not.

I am not sure what they did in the past but just see more and more division of groups of people with different types of points and access to different benefits. Think there was a list of 6 different groups currently of people who did and didn't have access to things?

I guess what is different in their past? I know they lock out resale from Riviera so I don't really see a difference here about having the system flag the account or not.

I am not sure what they did in the past but just see more and more division of groups of people with different types of points and access to different benefits. Think there was a list of 6 different groups currently of people who did and didn't have access to things?
I'm not saying they wouldn't consider it but it would be a nightmare to administer and it would likely be negative to new sales, esp to existing members. Plus it doesn't fit with their past approach in spite of the Riviera changes. There are a lot of things they could have done over the years that they haven't, a VIP system comes to mind where it's based on the # of points and in that case I suspect they would use the number of qualified points but not which point was used for a given reservation. The only thing they've ever done along those lines and they ended up changing their tune along the way anyway, was related to free tickets at OKW where they first said that you couldn't borrow and get free tickets on those stays (even mixed 1999 & 2000 pts) but they could not back that up with the POS wording to the interpretation was changed. The difference is it'd be easy to monitor which UY but not which points for each reservation. I can't see it happening.

For those of you who think this may just be a rumor - how would you expect Disney to announce this change? Will there be an email or something on the website that lists the change to 125pts?

From the Guidelines But what isn't clear is how they limit the 8. Is it 8 per contract? Is it 8 per household? Is it 8 per member? I've never seen it tested, maybe someone else has more information.

It is 8 per household for each owner. We had this clarified when we bought last year. Each owner is entitled to up to 8.

Is it either/or? If I’m a sole ownership can my son or husband get an AP as well since we live at the same address?

Is it either/or? If I’m a sole ownership can my son or husband get an AP as well since we live at the same address?

Anyone that lives at your address could get a AP if you are a member who has a blue card. The requirement from what I have read is that you are there when they activate the AP but that could be wrong they might be able to do it some other way.

I just heard from the Disney salesperson that oct 1 the minimum goes up. What, then, do you DVC veterans recommend for the buyer who has been considering for months now? Will anyone have regrets about not getting “in” at 100 pts? I kind of which I had known about DVC when the minimum was 75pts...:

Buying DVC really needs to be a financial decision, although ask many DVCers, and regrettably emotional decisions come into play too. Disney has multiple deals off of hotel room rack rates, depending on when you go, and you need to compare those discounted hotel room rates to how much you'd spend for lodging as a DVC Member.

I haven't run the numbers, but for me, if you're going to WDW 5-6 days a year and getting one hotel room each time, then it's not worth it. Basically, when you factor in the cash out of pocket for the 100 or 125 point minimum, and even spread out over 50 years, that amount plus the annual maintenance fee (which basically goes up every year) doesn't justify 5-6 nights lodging every year (or 10-12 nights every two years at a DVC property. Also, if you primarily stay at value or moderate resorts, I think you're probably getting a better deal with hotel room rates.

That being said, if you tend to travel with a large group, DVC is a lifesaver. If you want the space that comes with a DVC 1-, 2-, or 3-bedroom, no matter how many are in your party, then DVC is the only way to go unless you want to stay off property. Also, if you want to eat in while at the resort, basically transfer from your food budget to your lodging budget, then DVC is great for that!

As for the emotional side, since it's just me, my wife, and our son, we thought we would always do studios and did for our first 2 trips to Aulani. Then our first WDW trip on DVC points happened. We were doing a split stay and I booked the last week at OKW in a 1 bedroom so we could do laundry. The first week we wanted a studio at Boardwalk but we couldn't get it because it was about 6 months out. But a 1 bedroom wasn't a problem. The second we walked into the 1 bedroom at Boardwalk (post refurbishment too), we were sold on the 1 bedrooms. The space. The ability to watch two different shows in two different rooms after a long day in the parks. Cooking on those nights we didn't want to eat out. Having breakfast in the unit rather than breakfast in the parks. Having a real table to sit at. And we left that to go to the amazing 900+ square ft. 1-bedroom at OKW. OMG!

We're in California, and if we're going to get on a plane for 5 hours to get to WDW or Aulani, we're probably going to go for 12-14 nights. And alternating what year we go where. So DVC makes sense for us, both financially and emotionally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter