Rumor by agent - Blue Card min. going up

Really confused on the logic behind increasing the direct minimum to 125. With the number of sales decreasing, do they really think the direct benefits they’re offering will justify the increase?
I think it means point charts on new resorts like the Disneyland tower will be similar to Riviera, Poly, VGF. They raised the minimum so guests wouldnt find out after the fact they only get 3-4 nights with 100 points.

So for those following this thread.....do you have the Blue Card or no? For those without, do you feel like you are missing out?????

We do not have the Blue card. I do have some FOMO, but it is *purely* emotional. 🤩 (pixie dust in my eyes) We have considered a 100 pt direct purchase, but 125 is too much, unless it came with MAJOR perks. So, I don’t feel the need to rush out and buy 100 points. I kind of view it like if the point increase happens before we are really ready to buy,, then it wasn’t meant to be. And honestly, we have 400 points (we are a family of six), and until there is some light at the end of this pandemic tunnel, we don’t need more points.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do raise the minimum, DVD has always been rather hard line on their pricing. It's a little like owning a rental property where many raise the rent every year no matter what so that they don't have to have large shifts and so that they don't sit flat for a few years then have someone complain when they do raise rent more in the future. The boiled frog approach. DVD doesn't care if they sell more points, they care if they make more money and one way to do so is a larger profit PP. It could be they're just planning long term, esp with other projects pushed back. While there will be some the won't buy because of the increase, that's likely a drop in the bucket and truthfully, most of those that say they won't, still sill.

To me, it’s wild because their major market right now is add-on buyers, APs, or maybe locals who usually tend to be less pixie dusted about DVC and less willing to accept the minimum point increase. You can’t tell me there are that many affluent once-in-a-life timers who will be making the trip down to WDW for their normal potential market in the next 4 months. I can’t imagine they’d make THAT much in the short term to make the point increase worthwhile. Hmm.

To me, it’s wild because their major market right now is add-on buyers, APs, or maybe locals who usually tend to be less pixie dusted about DVC and less willing to accept the minimum point increase. You can’t tell me there are that many affluent once-in-a-life timers who will be making the trip down to WDW for their normal potential market in the next 4 months. I can’t imagine they’d make THAT much in the short term to make the point increase worthwhile. Hmm.

Unless there are some behind the scenes deals being made with other divisions to to increase the perks to make them believe it will entice people to buy the new minimum...if it proves true.

Right now, the merchandise discount is up to 30%. Maybe that will stay? Maybe they are going to offer discounts on multiday tickets?

Or, right now, with Reflections on hold or scrapped, they don’t care if sales are slow because as I have mentioned, they can offer RIV up with a good discount to cash guests, delay opening other resorts to keep costs down until things improve and sell DVC at a slower rate while all divisions weather the storm.

I can't imagine DVD would increase the minimum but not add on any type of incentive to lure in sales at this level...but hey, I'm new to DVC and still trying to figure out if I should buy direct now before they increase the minimum requirement:) otherwise, my feeling is that DVD is clearly creating a class/tiered system between resale and direct buyers via restrictions etc. to attract more direct sales

I wouldn't be surprised if they do raise the minimum, DVD has always been rather hard line on their pricing. It's a little like owning a rental property where many raise the rent every year no matter what so that they don't have to have large shifts and so that they don't sit flat for a few years then have someone complain when they do raise rent more in the future. The boiled frog approach. DVD doesn't care if they sell more points, they care if they make more money and one way to do so is a larger profit PP. It could be they're just planning long term, esp with other projects pushed back. While there will be some the won't buy because of the increase, that's likely a drop in the bucket and truthfully, most of those that say they won't, still sill.
You are right , DVD plans for the long term. They are a corporation so they do 5, 10, 20 and beyond planning. So a short term lose for long term gains wouldn't bother them.

We know DVC reads these forums, and sometimes gets ideas that they later implement.

So, DVC, if you're listening...

Raising blue card from 100 to 125 in these economic times is just crazy. You're only selling a small number of direct contracts right now to new members, compared to what you were selling just 6 months ago. It won't make a hill of beans to your bottom line to raise that minimum to 125 for new buyers.

However, your existing base of customers, guesstimated to be about 35% white card, is always looking for more points. Merely raising that minimum 25 points, in this economic environment, will cause you to lose sales. Instead of buying 125 direct, they will go out and buy 200 resale for the same price. You will never get them to pony up for direct points. However, if you add a valuable perk to the direct purchase price, you will blunt the consideration of resale versus direct.

I suggest you pull out the tried-and-true early day DVC promotion once again. Buy 125 points or more during a particular period and get 2 annual passes each year for some number of years. Yes, it means you need to work with those people from Parks again to get a good price. But, it will definitely increase your sales (which, to be honest, are abysmal right now), bring people to the parks, cause AP sales to increase (because many purchasers are families, so 2 AP's won't be enough), and give you something to combat the drift of existing members to resale instead of direct.

And, with all those profits from this awesome idea, you could build a new Adventurer's Club themed DVC lounge at AK. Nothing too fancy, just the static displays, the quirky servers, and Kungaloosh!

So, DVC, if you're listening...

However, your existing base of customers, guesstimated to be about 35% white card, is always looking for more points. Merely raising that minimum 25 points, in this economic environment, will cause you to lose sales. Instead of buying 125 direct, they will go out and buy 200 resale for the same price. You will never get them to pony up for direct points. However, if you add a valuable perk to the direct purchase price, you will blunt the consideration of resale versus direct.

I’ll concur. I’m almost ready to buy direct. If they raise to 125, I’m out.

I’ll concur. I’m almost ready to buy direct. If they raise to 125, I’m out.

Where you thinking of buying. One thing you want to do is look at the extra cost to go from 100->125 or 100->150 or 100->final purchase count

The reason I bring this up is that for CCV going from 100 points to 150 points the effective cost of the 50 points contract is $155/point. With something like RIV the effective cost of going from 100 points to 150 points the effective cost of the 50 points contract is $130/point.

For me if I am buying those points and plan on getting 150/175/200 points anyways then I am just buying it all direct because CCV on resale is $140/point. When looking at RIV you might get it for $90-$100/point in the future but for $130/point you get full use of the points.

Other resorts likely not as great just depends on final point requirement and what discounts are now or possibly in September when new discounts come out.

Reading all your comments made the idea percolate into my head that maybe they are planning to raise the minimum first time buy-in for Riviera, Aulani, etc. to 125 points, full stop.

For one, they should, 100 points wasn’t enough at Copper Creek, and certainly isn’t enough at Riviera; 100 point owners will ultimately suffer from a dearth of standard studios, or for CCV, any studios.

Second, It would be crazy to sell packages to the new members that don’t include all the benefits.

🤔

Reading all your comments made the idea percolate into my head that maybe they are planning to raise the minimum first time buy-in for Riviera, Aulani, etc. to 125 points, full stop.

For one, they should, 100 points wasn’t enough at Copper Creek, and certainly isn’t enough at Riviera; 100 point owners will ultimately suffer from a dearth of standard studios, or for CCV, any studios.

Second, It would be crazy to sell packages to the new members that don’t include all the benefits.

🤔
But they currently do for some resorts though not for the newer or more popular ones.

🤔
They probably don't want alot of small contracts to hit the resale market where all you can get is a studio at your home resort in turn making them a unicorn to get at your home resort at 10 months out.

Having a DVC lounge or restaurant in each park would be really cool. That would be a direct benefit most people would love IMO.
Anything that cost money would have to come from dues eventually and if only blue cards could use this service they would have to pay more. What they could do and it would cost nothing is when fast passes come back and this is assuming they will is allow a 90 day window instead of 60 and maybe go from 3 to 4 or 5.

This is a bummer! I’ve been debating my first purchase for months and finally came to the decision that I would buy 150-225 resale first at SSR for cost savings and then add on direct when Disney announced the next points increase on direct benefits. I was hoping to have a few months to save after the resale purchase- also hoping that Disney could find me the UY I want more easily than I could find it on resale. Now I have to reverse that plan and do direct first!!

Anything that cost money would have to come from dues eventually and if only blue cards could use this service they would have to pay more. What they could do and it would cost nothing is when fast passes come back and this is assuming they will is allow a 90 day window instead of 60 and maybe go from 3 to 4 or 5.
Blue Card benefits that cost money come from the DVD marketing budget. If they’re paid for by dues, they have to be available to white card owners too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter