Rollators - Need some advice.

Silrana

Earning My Ears
I would appreciate some advice from people with experience with rollators or walkers. I currently use a cane because of an arthritic hip, but it is getting bad enough that I may start using a rollator at Disney. I figured that when the lines aren't too long I could leave it in the stroller area, but if attraction lines are very long I'll need the support. A few times CMs have taken my cane and given it back to me when I get off the ride. Is that how rollators are handled? Is it much hassle for the CMs? I don't want to create a problem every time I ride something.

as fair as rides go they do the same thing as other mobility devices, so they will take it from you at the end of the line and have it waiting for you when you get off. No it is not a big deal for the CM to do this.

I'm not sure I would leave it behind. You never know when some not nice person may decide to borrow it.

It here are hundreds, maybe thousands, of strollers throughout the parks - and some do get taken. Mostly by mistake since all the park rentals are identical. Some because people decide it's easier (and cheaper!) to take what's right there than to rent one on their own. And some literally get stolen http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/04/22/cameras-capture-miami-moms-stolen-stroller-disney-world/

That aside, a stroller is relatively easy, if inconvenient, to replace. A rollators? Not so much. Disney doesn't stock them. Most of the rental companies don't offer them. Getting one delivered following a purchase takes time. Meanwhile, this poster can't walk without the assistance of a mobility device.

Simply because something hasn't happened to an individual doesn't mean it won't happen to someone else, or even to that person eventually.

Take it thru the line. The CMs will have it for you when you get off - just like what they do with ECVs.

Not sure how they handle Pirates of the Caribbean though. ECV users have to transfer to a wheelchair to go thru the line. Does anyone know what someone with a rollator does?

I walked my rollator through Pirates line with no problem. Had to exit differently because you can't go up the moving ramp but not a problem. I did have to park it at Jungle Cruise to use a fast pass. I can walk without it so they had me park it with strollers. No one stole it thankfully! I don't think fastpass line is handicap accessible since I wasn't allowed to take the walker in it. They could accommodate me if I needed it but I didn't ask what that was.

I walked my rollator through Pirates line with no problem. Had to exit differently because you can't go up the moving ramp but not a problem.
Thanks!.

I have balance issues because of a dead nerve in my leg. 90% of the time I do not use a mobility aid while in my home as I can walk a few yards. If I can get fairly close to a home, store, etc. I will use my cane. If I'm going to have to walk half a block or more I will use my rollator. It is very tiring to drag my dead leg, so I use an ECV at WDW and other places like garden tours, museums.

I travel with my DH who is not a huge Disney fan - especially MK so I usually go there solo. I've been wondering what I would do on Pirates since I will not have anyone to push me in a wheelchair. I'd like to push the wheelchair sort of like a rollator thru the line as I think that would be easier than trying to wheel it with my arms. I can walk up to a mile with a rollator.

WDW has always been one of my favorite places. I also liked to travel to NY and London for theatre. Those options are now pretty much eliminated due to mobility issues so I am so glad that I can still "do Disney".

My DH says that he wants to make sure I can still go to WDW. I don't mind at all going to the parks solo as I used to have business trips in Orlando (from San Francisco) multiple times a year so I got used to going alone. He and I will usually go to Epcot and Animal Kingdom together, but he skips the other parks. I can handle the ECV with the buses. Then we have dinner together in the evening.

Take it thru the line. The CMs will have it for you when you get off - just like what they do with ECVs.

Not sure how they handle Pirates of the Caribbean though. ECV users have to transfer to a wheelchair to go thru the line. Does anyone know what someone with a rollator does?
ECV users have to transfer to a wheelchair. The CMs do ask people with personal mobility devices (including personal wheelchairs and rollators) to transfer into a new attraction wheelchair if possible. That's because the unload area is actually down one floor and in a different building than where guests load. The CMs actually have to transfer it quite a distance to make sure it is there at the unloading area when you get off.

I walked my rollator through Pirates line with no problem. Had to exit differently because you can't go up the moving ramp but not a problem. I did have to park it at Jungle Cruise to use a fast pass. I can walk without it so they had me park it with strollers. No one stole it thankfully! I don't think fastpass line is handicap accessible since I wasn't allowed to take the walker in it. They could accommodate me if I needed it but I didn't ask what that was.
For Jungle Cruise, neither the Fastpass or regular line are accessible. They lead directly to the loading area and there is no space there to park a mobility device.
Jungle Cruise has an accessible loading area which is at the exit. Guests with mobility devices are able to use their mobility device until they Board the boat. There is also a wheelchair accessible boat for those who can't transfer.
If you have a Fastpasses, you will be brought directly into the waiting line for that area. Without Fastpass, guests with mobility devices are usually given a Time ticket and come back to that line after their waiting time has passed.

ECV users have to transfer to a wheelchair. The CMs do ask people with personal mobility devices (including personal wheelchairs and rollators) to transfer into a new attraction wheelchair if possible. That's because the unload area is actually down one floor and in a different building than where guests load. The CMs actually have to transfer it quite a distance to make sure it is there at the unloading area when you get off.
At DLR there are some attractions that either load/unload at different locations or on different sides of the vehicle. In those cases they treat walkers and rollators as wheelchairs and use an alternative entrance, even though the rollator could otherwise go through the queue. It's usually easiest just ask. I've always assumed that MK would work similarly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter