ROFR Thread April to June 2018 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the only FB group I follow had some ROFR passes about an hour ago. Good luck to those that are waiting!

mlittig---$133-$7450-50-BWV-Aug-0/16, 3/17, 15/18, 50/19 - sent 4/13 - PASSED 5/3!!

Waiting really stinks :crazy2: This will be my first DVC contract :woohoo:

On April 24th, day 11, Disney sent the contract back because they found some missing points ~ 3 from 2017 and 15 from 2018 :rolleyes1 My broker added an addendum to the contract moving the closing date one month further out and adding the points to the contract :thumbsup2 I am sure I will lose those 3 points because they have not been banked :sad2: and the first thing I will do is bank those 15 points so I don't lose them too :bitelip: I do not have to pay for these missing points :goodvibes I am trying to tell myself that Disney would have taken the contract right then if they were going to exercise ROFR rather than sending it back, right :thumbsup2
Pixie dust to all of us who are still waiting that we will pass ROFR SOON pixiedust:pixiedust:

It has been a very long, stressful almost 3 weeks but now that I have passed, it is so worth it party:Good luck to those still waiting pixiedust:

:( still waiting on my 4/12 AKV. Hope we hear back soon. Congrats to everyone else so far.

Mumof4mice---$135-$27650-200-PVB-Dec-0/16, 4/17, 200/18, 200/19-Seller pays 2018 MF- sent 4/27

Impatient already! Almost wish we just went ahead and bought direct during the dvc tour at Aulani instead of trying to be so sensible on a luxury purchase…

I know. I also have a send date of 4/27. I was commenting to my DH the other day, that the older we get, the faster time flies and I wish it wasn't that way. Apparently I have found the cure for that - ROFR. Time absolutely drags while waiting. I know I have at least another week to wait, but it is killing me! Maybe it will be an awesome Mother's Day gift!

I wonder if DVC is buying up resale contracts in anticipation of people buying direct 75 points or more contracts for the perks? I know their were a lot of people trying to buy in before the change in the perks policy, but how many people are willing to pay the $50 plus premium on direct points to get the perks? On a 75 point contract that's almost $4k more. The discounted AP is the only real perk with any value that I can really see, but I'm sure the Moonlight Magic events are appealing to others. Or does DVC think that there is going to be a huge demand when SW opens up?

We bought 50 direct last year because of a need for a specific trip with family, but also wanted to get some extra points, but I don't think we would have bought them at the current direct price. The ability to buy the Gold AP is nice, but I'm not sure how many we will need since we can only really go once a year.

If you go once per year, but shift them forward and backward a few weeks each year, then you can buy annual passes (and a tables in wonderland card) only every other year, and have it be used for 2 years' worth of trips, which does save. :)

Simplistic example, wouldn't have to be shifted this much:
1) Year 1 go in the last two weeks of June. Buy AP and TIW
2) Year 2 go in the first two weeks of June. Use last year's AP and TIW.
3) Year 3 go in the last two weeks of June, buy AP and TIW again.
4) Same as #2.
Repeat.

At least, that is our plan. :) We are in that group that paid the premium for the minimum number of points to get the perks. But the rest are going to be resale (hopefully soon, if we pass ROFR...)

I bought to go at sitting break because we are all stir crazy with long Midwest Winters. It will work out that sitting break 19 is after sitting break 2020. I will but the annual and be able to use on 2019 and 2020 and then we will take a break from parks. The savings for full members is only $200 a a pass. One point direct at my home Resort is more than that savings. I just don't know when we would break even by buying direct. I would have five it if u only needed 25 points but 75 points priced me out.

My oldest is also about to are out of the kid's meal dining plan/ youngest is about to start paying and after they do we will no longer purchase it. My ten year old barely even needs her own plate let alone $75 of food a day.

If you go once per year, but shift them forward and backward a few weeks each year, then you can buy annual passes (and a tables in wonderland card) only every other year, and have it be used for 2 years' worth of trips, which does save. :)

4) Same as #2.
Repeat.

At least, that is our plan. :) We are in that group that paid the premium for the minimum number of points to get the perks. But the rest are going to be resale (hopefully soon, if we pass ROFR...)

If my 50 point SSR contract doesn't pass, I am considering going up to 75 points and buying direct for exactly that reason. But we'll see. It would take a LOT of years of doing that to make up the $4500 difference in buying direct on 75 pts. And we don't eat enough sit down meals to make TIW worth it when we stay in a villa.

4) Same as #2.
Repeat.

We are doing just this plan for our April 2018 - February 2019 trip, mostly because Easter in 2019 falls during our daughters April School Break and the points for that time period are Premier season and Awould limit us to 4 days, plus we were able to get the deal on the Platinum AP for the Gold AP price. Also, for our 10th wedding anniversary we are heading to Poly in June for a long weekend, so the PAP made it a little cheaper to go (sneaked this trip in without our kids, first trip without the kids in 7 years).

We prefer to go in April, so we will only do the April-February plan when Easter falls on our kids April vacation. The Gold AP is nice, but at the current prices for direct points make the math not as attractive as it was last year.

Luckily for us it just worked out we are "Qualified" owners now for perks.

I bought to go at sitting break because we are all stir crazy with long Midwest Winters. It will work out that sitting break 19 is after sitting break 2020. I will but the annual and be able to use on 2019 and 2020 and then we will take a break from parks. The savings for full members is only $200 a a pass. One point direct at my home Resort is more than that savings. I just don't know when we would break even by buying direct. I would have five it if u only needed 25 points but 75 points priced me out.

My oldest is also about to are out of the kid's meal dining plan/ youngest is about to start paying and after they do we will no longer purchase it. My ten year old barely even needs her own plate let alone $75 of food a day.
Curious what sitting break is?

If my 50 point SSR contract doesn't pass, I am considering going up to 75 points and buying direct for exactly that reason. But we'll see. It would take a LOT of years of doing that to make up the $4500 difference in buying direct on 75 pts. And we don't eat enough sit down meals to make TIW worth it when we stay in a villa.

For us, 4 park days for the 4 of us would cost about $1480, so for two years that would be $2960. This is just regular base tickets, no park hopper, memory maker, etc.

Buying an annual pass for the 4 of us is $2356. So that is $604 every 2 years. So that would take 14 years to pay back $4500 on its own.

But for us, we do a lot of sit down dining, because our kids get worn out easily and it's a chance for them to rest/recharge so we can hit the park longer. Plus we like to do character meals and avoid the character meet and greet lines altogether. Last time we spent $1500 on food for the 4 of us, but that was crazy because we were trying to intentionally try a lot of character restaurants we hadn't before. So lets assume that's normally more like $1000, so $2000 for 2 trips. Take a 20 percent discount with TIW (or can redo number with 12% average discount without TIW), and subtract the cost of the TIW card, and that'll save us about $250 every two years.

So if you take those two together, that would pay itself back in about 10 years. Presumably the discount on souvenirs would cut that down a little further if you buy a lot of souvenirs (which we are guilty of).

Now, if you are the sort that would pay for park hopper and memory maker anyways (which we are not, but will enjoy having since it comes with the AP), that is an extra $470 for the 4 of us for one year, or $940 for two years. If you combined the 604 off base ticket price + 250 off food + 950 off for parkhopper and memory maker, that pays itself back in about 5 years, or a little sooner depending on if you also buy souvenirs. We would never pay the crazy prices for park hopper and memory maker at their full prices, but it does still add some definite value for us.

Plus we can be flexible about how many days we spend at the park vs resort, without having to predict the exact number of days in advance, which is a nice flexibility, and not that pressure to make sure you don't "waste" a ticket if everyone needs some rest.

That was enough we felt it was worth stretching - and I will admit some level of fear that disney is going to get worse with incentivizing direct purchases and raising the points needed for it over time, so we wanted to get in now so we can be grandfathered in going forward (hopefully, as they've grandfathered in the past). I'll be interested to see if they do something even more dramatic once Riviera opens.

For us, 4 park days for the 4 of us would cost about $1480, so for two years that would be $2960. This is just regular base tickets, no park hopper, memory maker, etc.

Buying an annual pass for the 4 of us is $2356. So that is $604 every 2 years. So that would take 14 years to pay back $4500 on its own.

But for us, we do a lot of sit down dining, because our kids get worn out easily and it's a chance for them to rest/recharge so we can hit the park longer. Plus we like to do character meals and avoid the character meet and greet lines altogether. Last time we spent $1500 on food for the 4 of us, but that was crazy because we were trying to intentionally try a lot of character restaurants we hadn't before. So lets assume that's normally more like $1000, so $2000 for 2 trips. Take a 20 percent discount with TIW (or can redo number with 12% average discount without TIW), and subtract the cost of the TIW card, and that'll save us about $250 every two years.

So if you take those two together, that would pay itself back in about 10 years. Presumably the discount on souvenirs would cut that down a little further if you buy a lot of souvenirs (which we are guilty of).

Now, if you are the sort that would pay for park hopper and memory maker anyways (which we are not, but will enjoy having since it comes with the AP), that is an extra $470 for the 4 of us for one year, or $940 for two years. If you combined the 604 off base ticket price + 250 off food + 950 off for parkhopper and memory maker, that pays itself back in about 5 years, or a little sooner depending on if you also buy souvenirs. We would never pay the crazy prices for park hopper and memory maker at their full prices, but it does still add some definite value for us.

Plus we can be flexible about how many days we spend at the park vs resort, without having to predict the exact number of days in advance, which is a nice flexibility, and not that pressure to make sure you don't "waste" a ticket if everyone needs some rest.

That was enough we felt it was worth stretching - and I will admit some level of fear that disney is going to get worse with incentivizing direct purchases and raising the points needed for it over time, so we wanted to get in now so we can be grandfathered in going forward (hopefully, as they've grandfathered in the past). I'll be interested to see if they do something even more dramatic once Riviera opens.

Thank you for your math

Status
Not open for further replies.

facebook twitter