ROFR Thread April to June 2018 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
kms75---$170-$57161-325-VGC-Jun-0/17, 403/18, 325/19- sent 4/16, passed 5/3

Congratulations! I've been lurking on this board for months since we decided to buy into DVC. I've made 3 offers on VGC contracts but with no luck. It seems I'm always too slow, and it's already pending (even though the last one, I submitted within 5 mins of getting the email). Thinking of just giving up and going for a resort at WDW, but we're in CA and would only be able to go to FL every 3 (maybe 2) years. I was thinking of getting both anyway but a much smaller WDW contract and later after we learn the system with a VGC contract, since our next to WDW probably won't be until 2020/21. Anyway, so thankful for these boards keeping me sane!

I’m starting to feel very anxious ...I’m now at day 19 and no word! I’m so happy for all of you that passed and I hope to be in the same boat soon. I am really hoping Disney doesn’t want my little 70 pt contract! I’m constantly checking my email which is also driving me crazy ugh!

I’m starting to feel very anxious ...I’m now at day 19 and no word! I’m so happy for all of you that passed and I hope to be in the same boat soon. I am really hoping Disney doesn’t want my little 70 pt contract! I’m constantly checking my email which is also driving me crazy ugh!
I am at day 23 and just waiting for my “taken” email and it looks like I may have to wait until next week to get it. If it makes you feel any better I am still refreshing my email hourly just out of habit lol.

Aaaaaaand, I found another. Just an accepted offer right now. Will update as needed. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!
I am at day 23 and just waiting for my “taken” email and it looks like I may have to wait until next week to get it. If it makes you feel any better I am still refreshing my email hourly just out of habit lol.
I wish if mine is gonna get taken they just do it already so I can be on the hunt again!!

For us, 4 park days for the 4 of us would cost about $1480, so for two years that would be $2960. This is just regular base tickets, no park hopper, memory maker, etc.

Buying an annual pass for the 4 of us is $2356. So that is $604 every 2 years. So that would take 14 years to pay back $4500 on its own.

But for us, we do a lot of sit down dining, because our kids get worn out easily and it's a chance for them to rest/recharge so we can hit the park longer. Plus we like to do character meals and avoid the character meet and greet lines altogether. Last time we spent $1500 on food for the 4 of us, but that was crazy because we were trying to intentionally try a lot of character restaurants we hadn't before. So lets assume that's normally more like $1000, so $2000 for 2 trips. Take a 20 percent discount with TIW (or can redo number with 12% average discount without TIW), and subtract the cost of the TIW card, and that'll save us about $250 every two years.

So if you take those two together, that would pay itself back in about 10 years. Presumably the discount on souvenirs would cut that down a little further if you buy a lot of souvenirs (which we are guilty of).

Now, if you are the sort that would pay for park hopper and memory maker anyways (which we are not, but will enjoy having since it comes with the AP), that is an extra $470 for the 4 of us for one year, or $940 for two years. If you combined the 604 off base ticket price + 250 off food + 950 off for parkhopper and memory maker, that pays itself back in about 5 years, or a little sooner depending on if you also buy souvenirs. We would never pay the crazy prices for park hopper and memory maker at their full prices, but it does still add some definite value for us.

Plus we can be flexible about how many days we spend at the park vs resort, without having to predict the exact number of days in advance, which is a nice flexibility, and not that pressure to make sure you don't "waste" a ticket if everyone needs some rest.

That was enough we felt it was worth stretching - and I will admit some level of fear that disney is going to get worse with incentivizing direct purchases and raising the points needed for it over time, so we wanted to get in now so we can be grandfathered in going forward (hopefully, as they've grandfathered in the past). I'll be interested to see if they do something even more dramatic once Riviera opens.

But can't you get TIW with an AP? If so, the "savings" is really only on the APs. I totally get buying direct - but I'm not sure TIW should be added in for calculation purposes.

Do they ever send anything out on weekends? At this point can I put my email to rest until Monday?
I heard on a Sunday for my VGF. I thought also that it was my broker not keeping up, except I think someone else (different broker and different resort) also found out on that Sunday.

But can't you get TIW with an AP? If so, the "savings" is really only on the APs. I totally get buying direct - but I'm not sure TIW should be added in for calculation purposes.

True. But I'd never get an AP unless i had the perks because then they'd be more expensive than just buying tickets. So then I'd not be permitted a TIW card either.

ETA: I am sure there is no one way or the other that is best for everyone. This is just what worked for our family, and thought the math might help some folks decide one way or the other which scenario plays out best for them.

For us, 4 park days for the 4 of us would cost about $1480, so for two years that would be $2960. This is just regular base tickets, no park hopper, memory maker, etc.

Buying an annual pass for the 4 of us is $2356. So that is $604 every 2 years. So that would take 14 years to pay back $4500 on its own.

But for us, we do a lot of sit down dining, because our kids get worn out easily and it's a chance for them to rest/recharge so we can hit the park longer. Plus we like to do character meals and avoid the character meet and greet lines altogether. Last time we spent $1500 on food for the 4 of us, but that was crazy because we were trying to intentionally try a lot of character restaurants we hadn't before. So lets assume that's normally more like $1000, so $2000 for 2 trips. Take a 20 percent discount with TIW (or can redo number with 12% average discount without TIW), and subtract the cost of the TIW card, and that'll save us about $250 every two years.

So if you take those two together, that would pay itself back in about 10 years. Presumably the discount on souvenirs would cut that down a little further if you buy a lot of souvenirs (which we are guilty of).

Now, if you are the sort that would pay for park hopper and memory maker anyways (which we are not, but will enjoy having since it comes with the AP), that is an extra $470 for the 4 of us for one year, or $940 for two years. If you combined the 604 off base ticket price + 250 off food + 950 off for parkhopper and memory maker, that pays itself back in about 5 years, or a little sooner depending on if you also buy souvenirs. We would never pay the crazy prices for park hopper and memory maker at their full prices, but it does still add some definite value for us.

Plus we can be flexible about how many days we spend at the park vs resort, without having to predict the exact number of days in advance, which is a nice flexibility, and not that pressure to make sure you don't "waste" a ticket if everyone needs some rest.

That was enough we felt it was worth stretching - and I will admit some level of fear that disney is going to get worse with incentivizing direct purchases and raising the points needed for it over time, so we wanted to get in now so we can be grandfathered in going forward (hopefully, as they've grandfathered in the past). I'll be interested to see if they do something even more dramatic once Riviera opens.

I'm confused by the numbers. Is this assuming only using AP on one visit? I did the numbers for using the pass for two vacations using the same pass and can't out with a huge savings. I was trying to find my error but I think it's that u only use the AP for one vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

facebook twitter