Riviera Resale

So peculiar. On dvcresalemarket.com yesterday there were FIVE new resales added for Riviera - All 75 points, All December Use Year. Yet not all the same price per point (ranging from $149-155). I'm guessing they are all the same seller considering the timing they were added with identical points/UY. Overall that puts this one website with 9 Riviera resale contracts on sale currently. So be ready for some more data points coming your way. I'm wondering if someone bought like 1,000 points to get a huge pp discount ($135pp for existing members) and then is selling part of it back.

Lets say they actually wanted 500 points (which were $150pp for add on with summer direct incentives) but bought 1,000 points which brought it down to $135pp. For those 500 points they actually wanted, they saved an additional $7,500 plus anything they make by reselling the extra points. So intriguing.

Last edited:
So peculiar. On dvcresalemarket.com yesterday there were FIVE new resales added for Riviera - All 75 points, All December Use Year. Yet not all the same price per point (ranging from $149-155). I'm guessing they are all the same seller considering the timing they were added with identical points/UY. Overall that puts this one website with 9 Riviera resale contracts on sale currently. So be ready for some more data points coming your way. I'm wondering if someone bought like 1,000 points to get a huge pp discount ($135pp for existing members) and then is selling part of it back.

Lets say they actually wanted 500 points (which were $150pp for add on with summer direct incentives) but bought 1,000 points which brought it down to $135pp. For those 500 points they actually wanted, they saved an additional $7,500 plus anything they make by reselling the extra points. So intriguing.

Two are already sold so it will be interesting to see what they actually sold for!

I suspect those picking up RIV on the resale market are doing so for the same reason -- because they only intend to use them at RIV and don't care about the restriction, similar to the way VGF and VGC buy points at those resorts to only use there. If the VGC contracts I have in ROFR had the same restriction, I honestly wouldn't care, as I bought them to use only at VGC (and honestly in some ways they have that restriction in the sense that they are a different UY than the rest of our points!).

As someone who also bought some direct RIV points, I'm also pretty happy with how the resale market for RIV has played out so far. I suspect that if I did sell them down the road, it would be after 2042, so my hope is that the loss of BCV and BWV as DVC resorts will also help keep that RIV resale price higher. :)
We have a VGC in ROFR now too....how long have you been waiting....today is Day 36 for us.

Only Day 20 for mine so far! I hope you hear soon. The wait for resale is always the worst... it always makes me want to add on just so I have something to occupy myself while I wait, lol!!
We heard on CCV right on Day 30 on the nose. Frustrating because we were hoping to use this summer at world for One BR, 160 that was banked so 320 with OCT use year....they’re just waiting for us.

Two are already sold so it will be interesting to see what they actually sold for!
Oh wow - I didn't even see those two - so there were SEVEN identical Dec UY, 75 pt contracts! They were wise to make them small contracts - more likely to get picked up. Though I bet the first two were purchased by the same person.

Oh wow - I didn't even see those two - so there were SEVEN identical Dec UY, 75 pt contracts! They were wise to make them small contracts - more likely to get picked up. Though I bet the first two were purchased by the same person.
They were not, two different buyers.

It is very difficult for me to not want to put in an offer! But, I don’t need extra points right now and given all my cancele trips from 2020 and the new BLT I just bought, I have A ton of points in the next few years to use up,

Not gonna lie, that sounds like the best direct purchase I've heard. Brilliant, really. Unless they paid like 15 closing costs!

I thought about doing this with 200 points and keeping 100 points.

Very intriguing idea, and if DVC took them at ROFR, that would be wild- buying them back for more than they sold them for, but I've read here that they don't typically buy back current resorts. However, $135K is a lot to shell out, on the anticipation that you can sell off half of them without taking a hit on the price. Assume the seller breaks even on the excess 500 points, then he/she would have gotten 500 Points at $67,500, and they would have been $75,000 if purchased at $150/PP. That's a lot of work and up front capital to save that $15/PP - $7,500 Total. But definitely an interesting scenario.
ET :darth:

Wow, this is a wild scenario, and at $135, probably safe-ish bet... The kept points at $135 are the value add, and I get that. BUT I know this is “conspiracy theory-esque” - Maybe this seller KNOWS something about the resale restrictions going away and wants to get rich and keep the remaining points....

Otherwise, long term, I cannot see anyone paying more for RIV Resale than almost any legacy resort.

Wow, this is a wild scenario, and at $135, probably safe-ish bet... The kept points at $135 are the value add, and I get that. BUT I know this is “conspiracy theory-esque” - Maybe this seller KNOWS something about the resale restrictions going away and wants to get rich and keep the remaining points....

Otherwise, long term, I cannot see anyone paying more for RIV Resale than almost any legacy resort.

Again, everyone has different wants and likes, One thing I will say is with the RIV contracts so far doing well, given restrictions, it is a selling point DVC can use right now to prove it’s not a total loss of value...assuming they want to.

Again, only 13 sold so far, but high enough to support keeping restrictions in place IMO.

Again, everyone has different wants and likes, One thing I will say is with the RIV contracts so far doing well, given restrictions, it is a selling point DVC can use right now to prove it’s not a total loss of value...assuming they want to.

Again, only 13 sold so far, but high enough to support keeping restrictions in place IMO.

I am not disagreeable with you because you will win 100% of the time, you are such a great voice and leader of our community and I love your posts... I was under the impression that resale and direct sales of “sold out” resorts were absolutely crushing the new direct sales (RIV, AUL, and whatever’s left at CCV at ~$230/pp.).

Riviera has that one special hurdle unlike all other resorts, and at (est) 40% sold (and occupancy declining drastically), DVC has to do something (other than give away $20k vacations to watch RIV commercials or threaten to increase Blue Card buy-ins). And I cannot see, other than the expiration date, why I would buy there resale or direct given this restriction.

For resalers it’s like asking “Would you rather never eat pizza ever again, or eat pizza for the rest of your life?“. Unlike pizza, DVC has many better options, IMHO. Specifically, you can buy elsewhere for $30/pp less and have optionality, makes zero sense(?). But to your point, the people might pay it, why not punish them - ugh....

I am not disagreeable with you because you will win 100% of the time, you are such a great voice and leader of our community and I love your posts... I was under the impression that resale and direct sales of “sold out” resorts were absolutely crushing the new direct sales (RIV, AUL, and whatever’s left at CCV at ~$230/pp.).

Riviera has that one special hurdle unlike all other resorts, and at (est) 40% sold (and occupancy declining drastically), DVC has to do something (other than give away $20k vacations to watch RIV commercials or threaten to increase Blue Card buy-ins). And I cannot see, other than the expiration date, why I would buy there resale or direct given this restriction.

For resalers it’s like asking “Would you rather never eat pizza ever again, or eat pizza for the rest of your life?“. Unlike pizza, DVC has many better options, IMHO. Specifically, you can buy elsewhere for $30/pp less and have optionality, makes zero sense(?). But to your point, the people might pay it, why not punish them - ugh....

Resales will always outpace direct, but RIV sales prior to Covid were competitive against previous direct sold resorts.

It is only sold around 22% right now, but 35% is in DVC...That does leave 65% in the hands of Disney to use for cash stays,

Where I see this as a benefit DVD and WDPR...which lowers the need to sell it out quickly.is that by having those rooms at RIV available for moves of cash guests, there is no rush to open more of the deluxe resorts that currently remain closed due to low occupancy.

Never thought I would buy RIV but I did. I’d add on resale too because, again, I’d use them at a RIV and have other points for elsewhere,

That is the thing, Even those that do buy RIV resale don’t have to Make it the only thing they buy, They can buy those for stays there and other resorts for trades,

Best of both worlds is possible! Now, I do think in a few years, RIV resale prices will settle closer to $110 to $120...but last year I figured it’d never get higher than $100...then it opened, and people love it..love it enough to buy restricted points on resale and buy points direct with little concern about its value on the resale market.

Resales will always outpace direct, but RIV sales prior to Covid were competitive against previous direct sold resorts.

It is only sold around 22% right now, but 35% is in DVC...That does leave 65% in the hands of Disney to use for cash stays,

Where I see this as a benefit DVD and WDPR...which lowers the need to sell it out quickly.is that by having those rooms at RIV available for moves of cash guests, there is no rush to open more of the deluxe resorts that currently remain closed due to low occupancy.

Never thought I would buy RIV but I did. I’d add on resale too because, again, I’d use them at a RIV and have other points for elsewhere,

That is the thing, Even those that do buy RIV resale don’t have to Make it the only thing they buy, They can buy those for stays there and other resorts for trades,

Best of both worlds is possible! Now, I do think in a few years, RIV resale prices will settle closer to $110 to $120...but last year I figured it’d never get higher than $100...then it opened, and people love it..love it enough to buy restricted points on resale and buy points direct with little concern about its value on the resale market.

I totally agree. I think the right price is $100 to $125 resale and they want a 50% up charge for direct, and the restrictions do justify that. To your point, an add on of 25-125 resale buy has a premium over a primary 200/300+ contract. Meaning, I will stay there 2-3 days per year and elsewhere the rest. I doubt someone will make a first time resale contract above 200 points.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander here!!! Look at literally every other DVC resort. Remove the restrictions, help the avid resale people, and help direct buyers retain their value.

or disenfranchise the base Disney Fans...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!