Riviera Resale

You do understand that if you buy a Riv resale, those points can only be used for a DVC stay at Riv?
Of course I do. Thinking about buying some Riviera direct and just curious what people are actually paying on the resale market. Not what people think it's worth but the actual transactions. Didn't see any on the ROFR thread.

Of course I do. Thinking about buying some Riviera direct and just curious what people are actually paying on the resale market. Not what people think it's worth but the actual transactions. Didn't see any on the ROFR thread.

Everything has been over $100/point from whats been discovered but very few transactions. All over the place long term on potential value. Also hard to know what the future will do to impact the pricing.

Does it get a reputation as "the" Epcot resort?
Do the MFs level off for a while making it more average?
Does it benefit from the ever shortening BWV/BCV contracts?
What happens in 2042 when no Epcot resorts are open to resale, does RIV possibly become the "cheap" option with "2020 point charts"?
What does the overall DVC pricing do in resale, could avg pricing go from $100-$150 to $200-250 in 10 years time meaning even RIV on the low end is then $200/point?

Lots of questions and things that could impact pricing. Also lots of people who will look to buy in 10-15 years don't even know about DVC right now and possibly are in High School will they opt for a 5-10 year BWV/BCV contract or jump in to a combo RIV/MK bundle to do split weeks or alternate between resorts annually? Will they be able to afford direct DVC at 2040-2050 prices and instead opt for a possibly more value friendly RIV contract?

https://www.dvcstore.com/prices.htm

DVCSTORE.com stats on resale, $140, $100 and $109.

Another site https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/rivieraresort/ has 4 RIV contracts for sale, ranging from 160 points to 250 points. Some of the contracts are stripped. No points till 2022, but all are listed at $145 pp. 2 of the contracts have a error, they are listed as a 160 point contract but only have 80 points left for 2022. We are currently in 2020 use year and you can only borrow from 2021. So are they 160 point contracts or 80 point contracts.

Last edited:

Thanks for info. It certainly seems like so far, the savings may not be worth it given the restrictions.

While not many sold, they are higher than I figured they would be at this point.

Thanks for info. It certainly seems like so far, the savings may not be worth it given the restrictions.

While not many sold, they are higher than I figured they would be at this point.
I agree. Since our other points are unrestricted, I thought about holding out for a smallish resale contract to be used just for RIV stays, and had priced that in my head around $100-$115 (there was a poll somewhere back when ...) we ended up paying $160 for direct points, chose our UY, got a ton of FPs, and had a great stay over New Years already. The additional cost of the points was less than the cost of the stay we already had.

the first RVA deed sold resale was bought by a timeshare flipper (2.2k deeds in Orange County since 2002) for 100 USD per point; the exact same deed was sold again for 140 USD per point 84 days later, so that's something ... 🤷‍♀️

one more RVA resale deed was added this week ...
recording date#pointsUSD per pointnotes
7 Aug 2019​
1a​
175​
100​
bought by flipper​
30 Oct 2019​
1b​
175​
140​
sold by flipper​
18 Mar 2020​
2​
110​
139.1​
8 May 2020​
3​
412​
109.2​
2 Jun 2020​
4​
100​
135​
3 Jun 2020​
5​
125​
144​
11 Aug 2020​
6​
130​
135.4​
27 Aug 2020​
7​
175​
133.1​

I keep an eye on them and have updated the direct DVC sales statistics thread a few times; yes I know resale != direct :D
I mean those (albeit small data points) are not bad at all really. I think I can get 200 points at 160 a point or 175 at 165 direct, so maybe lose $30 per point or so on resale. That's not nearly as bad as I would have thought going into this. Now as more data points come out this may change, but as of today f you exclude MFs it is a better direct buy than SSR or OKW since you are getting more years.

I agree. Thats why I didn't buy and wont buy RVA direct....

The other thing that might impact RIV resale is ROFR.

Historically, ROFR on actively sold resorts is practically zero. Disney didn't ROFR on Poly for a while after it was sold out. I think there's a good argument that this is why Poly has such high SAP value and resale got so low. At this rate, resale should pick up long before RIV sells out. RIV might be the "new" WDW property for a long time.

Last edited:
I mean those (albeit small data points) are not bad at all really. I think I can get 200 points at 160 a point or 175 at 165 direct, so maybe lose $30 per point or so on resale. That's not nearly as bad as I would have thought going into this. Now as more data points come out this may change, but as of today f you exclude MFs it is a better direct buy than SSR or OKW since you are getting more years.

Not bad but they are lower than what other resorts have initially seen for short sales with new resorts.

Historically, ROFR on actively sold resorts is practically zero. Disney didn't ROFR on Poly for a while after it was sold out. I think there's a good argument that this is why Poly has such high SAP value and resale got so low. At this rate, resale should pick up long before RIV sells out. RIV might be the "new" WDW property for a long time.
Have they even taken a contract back from Poly. With the price difference they should, but I don’t think they have taken one back yet.

Have they even taken a contract back from Poly. With the price difference they should, but I don’t think they have taken one back yet.
I think they’ve had too steady a supply of foreclosures. When I looked last month Poly was Disney's most acquired resort this year (accounting for resort size) and it was 100% foreclosure or other distressed recoveries, no ROFR.

https://www.dvcstore.com/prices.htm

DVCSTORE.com stats on resale, $140, $100 and $109.

Another site https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/rivieraresort/ has 4 RIV contracts for sale, ranging from 160 points to 250 points. Some of the contracts are stripped. No points till 2022, but all are listed at $145 pp. 2 of the contracts have a error, they are listed as a 160 point contract but only have 80 points left for 2022. We are currently in 2020 use year and you can only borrow from 2021. So are they 160 point contracts or 80 point contracts.
I *think* if you had say a March UY and were booking a reservation for July 2021 you could borrow 2022 points into 2021 to do it.

Based on what’s happened with Poly and how big Riviera is, It wouldn’t surprise me if Disney doesn’t take a Riviera contract until 2028ish.

I bought in 2019, over two years after sold out, and at that time Disney had never bought back Poly. I was worried about mine getting taken!

I thought they bought a couple in early 2020? Even if they did, it wasn’t much.

I bought in 2019, over two years after sold out, and at that time Disney had never bought back Poly. I was worried about mine getting taken!

I thought they bought a couple in early 2020? Even if they did, it wasn’t much.
No they did not. Only one board member said they bought it back several years ago. that was the only one reported

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!