Riviera Resale Values

Mkaiser1

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Given the resale restrictions, but taking into account the increasing purchase costs, what’s the view of the resale values at Riviera in 10, 15, 20 or 25 years time?

They are getting more right now than many of us predicted, even with the small number that have sold or been listed,

Personally, as time goes on, I think they will level off around $100 to $120/
point. Once they build more DVC with the same restrictions, it won’t seem as big of a deal,

Also, in 20 years when BCV and BWV expire, and most likely sold as new with restrictions, it will remain desirable.

I own there and the restrictions didn’t bother me at all but then again, I never looked at resale value as part of my equation so it didn’t matter.

For sold out resorts at prime locations, such as VGF, BLT, BCV, BWV, it seems the resale price is about 100 below direct price. Assuming RIV falls into the same category, let’s knock 100 off, then add resale restrictions, knocking another 20-30 off?

It doesn’t mean current resale price should be around 80, because it is not sold out yet. But I do feel it may go lower, with more contracts coming to resale market, adding supply, meanwhile with more and more resale owners start experiencing the real pain of such restrictions, adding supply, also reduce demand.

There are just a lot of unknowns at this point to make an assumption of future resale price because it is a different product than every other DVC resort which have a pretty decent amount on sales info on record. I really liked the Riviera rooms as well as the direct pricing with the incentives when we toured the resort but the practical side just would not allow me consider purchasing given the resale restrictions. What will booking look like in 10 years at 11/7 months?

While it may not be a popular opinion, I hesitate to even call Riviera part of the Vacation Club since a resale purchaser has no access to any vacation club, they only have access to one resort. Even other resorts purchased resale after the restrictions that can't use those points at Riviera may wonder why BVTC allows Riviera owners to trade out to their home resort but they can't trade in.

I think that as the 2042 BC/BW dates get closer it's plausible that some of those owners will purchase Riviera, if the restrictions were not in place I could see Riviera being super popular and holding a strong price by 2030 when those BC/BW contracts start to wind down.

There are just a lot of unknowns at this point to make an assumption of future resale price because it is a different product than every other DVC resort which have a pretty decent amount on sales info on record. I really liked the Riviera rooms as well as the direct pricing with the incentives when we toured the resort but the practical side just would not allow me consider purchasing given the resale restrictions. What will booking look like in 10 years at 11/7 months?

While it may not be a popular opinion, I hesitate to even call Riviera part of the Vacation Club since a resale purchaser has no access to any vacation club, they only have access to one resort. Even other resorts purchased resale after the restrictions that can't use those points at Riviera may wonder why BVTC allows Riviera owners to trade out to their home resort but they can't trade in.

I think that as the 2042 BC/BW dates get closer it's plausible that some of those owners will purchase Riviera, if the restrictions were not in place I could see Riviera being super popular and holding a strong price by 2030 when those BC/BW contracts start to wind down.

Actually, though, the restrictions are the same. Direct points get to trade in and out of all resorts. So RIV owners get to trade into other resorts and other resort owners with direct points get to trade into RIV.

For resale, since 2019, its the same rules. Resale owners at RIV can not trade into other resorts, and resale owners at other resorts can't trade into it.

Don't want to derail the thread into why RIV entered the way it did, but those that bought prior to January 2019 also have trading into RIV, so in essence, it is a great deal of owners who have qualified points to book there.

On paper, it shouldn't do as well as the current properties as it is a much more limited contract to a resale buyer. That being said, things aren't always logical and there are many factors that will play into that value down the line. There will definitely be a market with existing DVC owners who want a contract to stay exclusively at Riviera.

Actually, though, the restrictions are the same. Direct points get to trade in and out of all resorts. So RIV owners get to trade into other resorts and other resort owners with direct points get to trade into RIV.

For resale, since 2019, its the same rules. Resale owners at RIV can not trade into other resorts, and resale owners at other resorts can't trade into it.

Don't want to derail the thread into why RIV entered the way it did, but those that bought prior to January 2019 also have trading into RIV, so in essence, it is a great deal of owners who have qualified points to book there.

I agree. It is a good deal for those resales purchased prior to 2019 or for direct owners.

I was looking at more long term (10 years plus) when there are a much greater amount of restricted points out there, the unknown of how that will balance out demand when there are a few million restricted points was a factor in not purchasing. I do not fault anyone who does purchase as I understand the draw to Riviera and hope everything goes smoothly. I hope that demand will even itself out and both direct and resale Riviera owners will have no booking issues down the road.

Resale values are relevant only if you intend to sell in the future. I don't intend to sell so resale values don't affect me.

This is not true though. Lots of people never "intended" to sell but eventually do, as a result of life changes and new circumstances (such as divorce or sudden medical costs).

If someone was pitched a Westgate timeshare for $20,000, I suspect they would find it very relevant to know that the same timeshare was available on ebay for $1, even if they "never intended to sell in the future."

Smart buyers will always want to know their exit strategy options in case they need to get out - so long as they know that Disney (whose current execs consider Westgate timeshare practices to be a model) will be taking whatever steps it can to reduce the resale value of their original purchase, at least there are no surprises.

Very interesting views so far.

Do people think that resale restrictions will reduce demand and therefore the price point to the point that Disney will execute more ROFR on Riviera at a slightly lower price point too so that they can then profit more from their own ‘resale’ store, albeit it will just be badged as a direct purchase? This will then mean that there won’t be as many ‘restricted’ points in the future as Disney will be reselling them as direct purchases.

Do people think that resale restrictions will reduce demand and therefore the price point to the point that Disney will execute more ROFR on Riviera at a slightly lower price point too so that they can then profit more from their own ‘resale’ store, albeit it will just be badged as a direct purchase? This will then mean that there won’t be as many ‘restricted’ points in the future as Disney will be reselling them as direct purchases.

Thats part of the goal in dipping their feet in the pool they want a cost benefit analysis as they can again manipulate the system. The fact that they can reselll "used" points as new is absolute garbage tbh.

This is what I was thinking, too. Fast forward many years down the road when the other 10 WDW resorts have "expired". Like Riviera, any new resorts will have the resale restrictions and if DVC re-launches the other 10 resorts those will undoubtedly have the resale restrictions also. So DVC will have essentially almost wiped out the volume of contracts being sold on the resale market. Sure, there will be some who are willing to be restricted to one resort in order to save the money on the purchase. But I don't think the volume of those contracts will be very high. That could enable DVC to invoke ROFR on all those resale contracts, which would allow them to resell those points as direct contracts. Heck, I could even see it getting to the point where DVC has a "buy back" price where owners that want/need to sell can sell it directly to DVC (that price would obviously be set at the market value of resale). Long term this is a way for DVC to make sure every owner has purchased their points direct from DVC.

Personally, when my BCV contract expires we will probably be "out" of DVC. We bought resale last year and love the 22 years timeframe to enjoy our membership. When it expires we will be in our late 60's. I don't see us wanting to spend the money on what will undoubtedly be a very high price per point for direct contracts in 2042. And buying resale, IMO, makes zero sense if it limits you to one resort. Zero. The benefit of DVC is the ability to stay at multiple fantastic resorts, which all have different theming. Being restricted to just one would wipe out that benefit.

I have a more positive outcome in mind for Riviera points. I own direct Riviera points and I'm happy about it because I'm also excited about whatever new resorts will be coming online, and my ability to book them. As the other resorts start to expire, they're no longer going to be options for people and sales will shift to the new resorts.

I know people are very hesitant about Riviera, but for a family who doesn't intend to sell (and don't say NO ONE intends to sell because a lot of people come on these boards and specifically say they see themselves holding contract for 10-20 years and then selling), we are excited about the possibilities. We just booked our first Riviera reservation this morning, and I cannot wait to get back to the resort with my kids and other family members.

I have a more positive outcome in mind for Riviera points. I own direct Riviera points and I'm happy about it because I'm also excited about whatever new resorts will be coming online, and my ability to book them. As the other resorts start to expire, they're no longer going to be options for people and sales will shift to the new resorts.

I know people are very hesitant about Riviera, but for a family who doesn't intend to sell (and don't say NO ONE intends to sell because a lot of people come on these boards and specifically say they see themselves holding contract for 10-20 years and then selling), we are excited about the possibilities. We just booked our first Riviera reservation this morning, and I cannot wait to get back to the resort with my kids and other family members.
Do we know that as and when the next resort is built though (assuming Reflections is on hold at the moment but likely to be the next one) that Riviera owners will be able to book there? Or is it more that ANY direct owners will be able to book ANY DVC resort?

PS - congrats on booking the trip this morning!! :-)

I totally agree with the outlook of the resale restriction not mattering if you don't intend to sell. Everyone has different wants and needs. If someone (like you) fully intends and wants to be enjoying DVC for the next 50 years then, absolutely, buy Riviera direct and don't look back! Because the reality is that, once you own, you can always rent points to cover the MFs if you aren't in a position to make those Disney trips for a few years. Other people enter into DVC with an eye on selling down the road, so Riviera would be off the table for them. Again, to each their own. All that matters is that you are happy with your DVC purchase...which it sounds like you are!

Congrats on the booking! We have our first DVC trip (BCV) over Easter week and we can't wait!

I am curious when there arw a glut of resort specific contracts sold via resale at some point down the line, the ability to get a reservation at those resorts is going to be extremely challenging. The math doesnt work availability vs demand when all the other resorts are still trying to trade in. I think those buying riviera resale neglect to notice this.

Do we know that as and when the next resort is built though (assuming Reflections is on hold at the moment but likely to be the next one) that Riviera owners will be able to book there? Or is it more that ANY direct owners will be able to book ANY DVC resort?

PS - congrats on booking the trip this morning!! :-)
I don't see why Riviera owners who bought direct won't be able to stay at future DVC resorts. That's kind of the whole point of DVC...to be able to stay at multiple DVC resorts. DVC has been actively promoting the ability to stay at future DVC resorts as a selling point for buying Riviera direct. I'm sure there is language to that effect in the Riviera contract (I haven't seen the contract, though). DVC's rules have stipulated that ANY direct owner will be able to book at ANY DVC resort. It's the resale owners (that purchased after 2019) that are locked out from any future DVC resorts.

Keep in mind, though, that if you are a resale owner that purchased after 2019 there are ways to stay at Riviera or any new DVC resorts that are completely within the rules. You can, for example, rent your points and use that money to rent points from a "direct" member to stay at Riviera or any new resort that is built in the future. We bought resale last year and, because of alternatives like this, we decided the Riviera resale restriction wasn't that big of a deal. We will probably only want to stay there once or twice to check it out :)

Not for all, but for a lot of people, knowing they can easily offload DVC contracts in resale market and take a good chunk of initial payment back is one key factor to accept Disney's direct price. From this perspective, a healthy resale market benefits Disney, wiping it out will make it tough to sustain price at that level. So some type of balance has to be maintained, maximizing profits without shooting themselves in the foot. I don't think even Disney knows where to draw the line yet...

I guess it would be interesting to know if Disney have already executed ROFR on any Riviera resales and if so, what price point that was at.

This is not true though. Lots of people never "intended" to sell but eventually do, as a result of life changes and new circumstances (such as divorce or sudden medical costs).

If someone was pitched a Westgate timeshare for $20,000, I suspect they would find it very relevant to know that the same timeshare was available on ebay for $1, even if they "never intended to sell in the future."

Smart buyers will always want to know their exit strategy options in case they need to get out - so long as they know that Disney (whose current execs consider Westgate timeshare practices to be a model) will be taking whatever steps it can to reduce the resale value of their original purchase, at least there are no surprises.

It is very true for me. I won't need to sell for money I didn't use money I may need in the future to buy. Many people are short sighted when spending their money when I am done with DVC it will go to my adult children who love to go if they want to sell so be it.

If you are so inclined to worry what the future may bring, spending your money on frivolous things is not the answer. Too many here buy looking to reap a windfall after using DVC for many years and history has shown that but the future may have a different outlook.

facebook twitter