Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Android Galaxy S7. Playing along at home. Normally I tap in to Find Out More at 1 second before. Today I tapped in 2 seconds before to get the grey button of doom. I then hit my status and got a lit blue button and was able to select my party. Going back out to the Find Out More screen still showed grey button, though, but going into my status again gave me blue.

Restarting app at 8:01 it was backup time and I had red button.

So my new theory is that on the Android platform if you open a given page prior to open, it will lock out that page. In my case today I opened find out more before 8AM, so grey button locked in, but I opened my status after 8AM, so active blue button available.

In previous trials, I had opened both FOM and MS prior to open and been locked out of both of them.

So it was a successful one-way cha-cha.

(Backups still available at 8:09)

So, Android Galaxy S7. Playing along at home. Normally I tap in to Find Out More at 1 second before. Today I tapped in 2 seconds before to get the grey button of doom. I then hit my status and got a lit blue button and was able to select my party. Going back out to the Find Out More screen still showed grey button, though, but going into my status again gave me blue.

So my new theory is that on the Android platform if you open a given page prior to open, it will lock out that page. In my case today I opened find out more before 8AM, so grey button locked in, but I opened my status after 8AM, so active blue button available.

In previous trials, I had opened both FOM and MS prior to open and been locked out of both of them.

When I was in the actual park, I launched the app from "minimized mode" RIGHT at 8:00. I could click on Find Out More, but then My status and Join Boarding Group were both greyed out, no matter how many times I backed out and went back in.

There is no rhyme or reason. The app does what it wants. I feel like most of this thread is people trying to convince themselves that they have some level of control so they can feel prepared. In reality, there is nothing anyone can do to be assured that anything will work the same way in the park as it does at home.

I have a brand new Galaxy S10.

We went to DTD where the ping rate was higher than in the park. I got to the screen that asked me to select my party and all were selected, but the join button was greyed out. Another member finally got 89.

I restarted my phone 15 minutes prior and turned everything off.
When you say "ping rate is higher" - is that in microseconds? A high ping rate means your network connection is bad - you want your ping rate to be as small as possible.

Unfortunately you will have to read back through many posts in this thread to piece this together. The general consensus seems to be:
  • to move into the park as much as possible
    • but some people have had great success in Town Square or up on the Train Station (usually folks who barely made it thru the gates before park opening and this was their only viable option)
  • move away from large groups of people as much as possible
  • have an app or website open on your phone to check your speed - the "ping" time seems to be more important - and find places where the ping is a short as possible and the overall speed is as fast as possible
  • folks have reported good luck in Frontierland near the shooting galleries, near IAWS and in TL near or past BLAB
Many other pieces of advice exist and lol I have a bookmarked list of 8-10 posts in this thread which I refer back to for each gem. I can dump the bookmarks here if you would like to see them. :thumbsup2

:wizard:
Please post links or good areas with the best "ping", thanks!

When I was in the actual park, I launched the app from "minimized mode" RIGHT at 8:00. I could click on Find Out More, but then My status and Join Boarding Group were both greyed out, no matter how many times I backed out and went back in.

There is no rhyme or reason. The app does what it wants. I feel like most of this thread is people trying to convince themselves that they have some level of control so they can feel prepared. In reality, there is nothing anyone can do to be assured that anything will work the same way in the park as it does at home.

I have a brand new Galaxy S10.

It's technology. There is reason behind it unless there is actually a RNG in the mix. While I know things can behave differently in the park, to me it is about knowing how my tech is behaving and having some level of preparation. But if I go while BGs are still a thing (and I probably won't), I realize that there are factors beyond my control (like pp who had red button but greyed out on the party screen), and there are factors within my control. It is unfortunate that this is a zero sum game and that not everyone who wants to can experience the attraction, but if I go it will be to go to Disneyland and have a good time, Rise or Not.

In other news, backup groups are still available at 8:33.

To be fair, I think that there are things a person can do to improve their chances, and I think there are a lot of helpful tips here. Being familiar with the interface, finding a spot with good connectivity, deleting tickets that you won’t be using (or realizing that you’re going to have to fast-unclick your special event tickets)... and the fact that you can have other people “helping” from outside the park is huge (I certainly didn’t know that on opening day, or I’d have had my husband trying for us).

As far as the obsessing over the second hand, or the specifics of what you click or launch exactly when... I’m kind of with you in that I don’t see a lot of consistency, at least as far as my iPhone is concerned. I am willing to concede that there may be iPhone/Android differences, but even that seems to be getting muddled with some contradictory info from Android users.

I think people are reaching for patterns to feel like they’re doing someone concrete. And I don’t think it’s a bad idea to try to give yourself every edge possible! But at the end of the day, the tech is just kinda wonky. I definitely don’t think people getting locked out or getting later groups are necessarily doing something “wrong,” or something they could have avoided by knowing which nanosecond to launch their app.

As stated before, on Galaxy S8, sooo...should I basically launch DL app so that it completes its open as close to park open as possible? It does seem it gets finicky if you already have the 'Find Out More' screen already up or if you are in 'My Status'. That does seem to lock me out too for awhile.

Did a speed test in a few places- you can see for us Main Street around a bunch of people was getting slow speeds, the best for us was by red rose tavern. iPhone XR on Verizon . The problem I ran into today was was I had an ad for ‘Play Disney’ open when I opened the Disney app at exactly 8, touched the ad it then opened ‘play Disney’, in a panic I closed that out and went back to click on ‘my status’ to then join a boarding group. Got boarding group 42. Happy with that. The ad threw me off tho. Ekkkkk

Attachments

• FA2C8B04-534F-4F7C-B557-43D2B39729C9.jpeg
    FA2C8B04-534F-4F7C-B557-43D2B39729C9.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 39
As stated before, on Galaxy S8, sooo...should I basically launch DL app so that it completes its open as close to park open as possible? It does seem it gets finicky if you already have the 'Find Out More' screen already up or if you are in 'My Status'. That does seem to lock me out too for awhile.

My strategy on Monday is going to be launching the app fresh at 10 seconds before the top of the hour (it takes like 6 seconds to actually launch) and then clicking Find Out More. Who knows if it will work or not.

I'm also going to bring along another phone this time. My son has my old Galaxy S7 and I'm going to install the app and log in using my account on his so I at least have 2 phones to try from. I plan to have his launched and on the home screen and will click Find out more at 9am.

2 different strategies. Hope one will work.

In my experimentation, I've been opening the app at about 2 minutes before open. I've seen reports of people trying to open the app at opening time and finding it slow to get through the splash screen and whatnot.

So I'd say launch 2-3 minutes prior, have the front page open but do not go into find out more until 1 second before opening. If my theory is correct, if you are a second early and don't get the red button, you'll be able to click into My Status and see a lit blue button because by then another second will have passed. If I am correct, the Android version is checking the server for a go signal when each of those pages is opened for the first time, but on subsequent tries in the same instance, it relies on what it received prior, so that is why closing the app is necessary to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!