Retheme Splash Mountain?

Should Splash Mountain be re-themed?

• Keep the rabbit - a classic!

• Bring on the Frog!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea the first time I went to Epcot I was a bit nervous in Italy. Wasn’t sure if it was mafia related. Or in Japan where thoughts of Pearl Harbor came to mind.
I am doing nothing more than reporting how I felt. I am sorry that Japan and Italy make you feel uncomfortable.

In the Star Wars universe, Stormtroopers and the Empire are portrayed as the villains. Any storytelling is going to have an antagonist. One of the (several) problems with Song of the South is not that it recalls slavery and Reconstruction, but that it glamorizes it, that it looks on the era with nostalgia. That’s just one of the things that turns the movie from being ABOUT race, to being itself inherently racist. There are a number of excellent videos on YouTube discussing this as it pertains to SotS.
This thread is very thought provoking. Interesting that Hollywood continues to put out a movie, almost yearly, depicting the Holocaust, or referencing it, yet no one calls for the end of these movies that depict hurtful times. We usually address these movies as a learning experience we don't want to repeat. So why do we not approach our previous sins if slavery the same way? Discuss how we use this as a reminder of how far we have come as a nation. We still have changes to make, but we are moving in the right direction. Should we not band all movies depicting slavery then? Why does no one call for that, if the subject is painful? Where do we stop?

As I stated in a previous post, this is a ride that has long waits because it is enjoyable and fun. Its not a ride about slavery, just silly old rabbit. I usually have that happy song stuck in my head for hours after. How is that a bad thing? Just enjoy it for what it is!:flower1:

This thread is very thought provoking. Interesting that Hollywood continues to put out a movie, almost yearly, depicting the Holocaust, or referencing it, yet no one calls for the end of these movies that depict hurtful times. We usually address these movies as a learning experience we don't want to repeat. So why do we not approach our previous sins if slavery the same way? Discuss how we use this as a reminder of how far we have come as a nation. We still have changes to make, but we are moving in the right direction. Should we not band all movies depicting slavery then? Why does no one call for that, if the subject is painful? Where do we stop?

As I stated in a previous post, this is a ride that has long waits because it is enjoyable and fun. Its not a ride about slavery, just silly old rabbit. I usually have that happy song stuck in my head for hours after. How is that a bad thing? Just enjoy it for what it is!:flower1:
As I pointed out in a previous post, films that include Nazi characters typically place those characters in opposition to the protagonist. If Disney made a movie reminiscing about the Nazi regime, sympathizing with the Nazis, and alluding to the fact that it was nice when Nazis were in power, people would be upset.

I mean this respectfully, tone doesn’t always come across online, but do you know why people consider Song of the South to be racist?

As I pointed out in a previous post, films that include Nazi characters typically place those characters in opposition to the protagonist. If Disney made a movie reminiscing about the Nazi regime, sympathizing with the Nazis, and alluding to the fact that it was nice when Nazis were in power, people would be upset.

I mean this respectfully, tone doesn’t always come across online, but do you know why people consider Song of the South to be racist?
This is not meant in a bad tone. Didn't Uncle Ramus and they young boy get along? Did the young boy not just the old man as a friend, not a color? Explain what I am missing. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy. I am more of a glass is half full person. I am just trying to focus on the fact that this is a ride that many find joy in, not looking for racial undertones. I don't mean to offend, but I am not going to always look for something to apologize for when I did nothing to apologize for. I love people for being people. Hope you can understand. :flower1::love:

This is not meant in a bad tone. Didn't Uncle Ramus and they young boy get along? Did the young boy not just the old man as a friend, not a color? Explain what I am missing. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy. I am more of a glass is half full person. I am just trying to focus on the fact that this is a ride that many find joy in, not looking for racial undertones. I don't mean to offend, but I am not going to always look for something to apologize for when I did nothing to apologize for. I love people for being people. Hope you can understand. :flower1::love:
I do understand, not trying to be argumentative! Song of the South isn’t considered objectionable because it has allusions to slavery. Certainly we should have films and stories set in the Civil War era, set during the Holocaust. It’s a part of history and we should learn from it!

Song of the South is a different story. It’s considered by many to be an example of white revisionist art. There are many problems with it, one being Uncle Remus’ relationships with the white people he “works” for. Remus is a recently freed slave who remains at the plantation where he was enslaved. He presents this as a positive thing, that he is happy to work there. This is a classic theme in works by white writers from that time. It’s problematic because the conditions for these recently freed slaves were dire, but white writers often aimed to erase that fact. People who know much more about the topic have written extensively about this, you can find many resources online.

There are many more problems with the film, right down to the song Zip a dee doo da. Consider the efforts Disney has gone to to make it near impossible to watch the movie today. You can’t buy or download it anywhere. And consider the fact that the movie was heavily protested when it premiered almost 80 years ago. Even by the much looser standards of the 40s, it was considered beyond the pale by many.

Thanks for the conversation!

Have enjoyed Splash Mountain many times. Was aware of the association with Song of the South and the controversy of that movie, but did not find the ride to to be anything but enjoyable. But I am white and fully understand my emotions are driven by my background. If it is considered offensive by a population segment based on their background, then I certainly support rebranding the ride. I am sure I will enjoy the rebranded ride just as much.

Unfortunately human history is heavily marked by racism and intolerance, and continues to be, although it is improving. The worst historical instances being slavery, colonialism / indigenous marginalization, the holocaust, and other incidents of genocide. The legacy of this is everywhere in art, literature, and in communities. Anywhere these past historical wrongs are glorified, celebrated, downplayed, change is needed.

I don’t think it matters what I think. If black people are polled and find it hurtful , offensive , or racist then that is enough for me to want to see it changed. A bunch of white people sitting around talking about whether it should be viewed as offensive is pretty much the problem.

No. The problem is people trying to change things that in themselves are not offensive. And how if we change one thing to make one specific group happy, we had better be ready to change anything any group finds offensive.

In some cases the problem is people looking to be offended. IN SOME CASES

No. The problem is people trying to change things that in themselves are not offensive. And how if we change one thing to make one specific group happy, we had better be ready to change anything any group finds offensive.

So it's okay that you're offended people want a ride changed, but it's not okay some are uncomfortable with the ride because it's based on a racist film?

The world around us really isn't going to crumble down if Disney decides to refurbish splash mountain.

“in themselves are not offensive“ .. TO YOU. And perhaps not offensive to me. But if it is offensive to black people I’m going to trust them on that one and stop telling them what they are allowed to be offended by. It’s not up to us to decide. My opinion, disagree if you want.

I do understand, not trying to be argumentative! Song of the South isn’t considered objectionable because it has allusions to slavery. Certainly we should have films and stories set in the Civil War era, set during the Holocaust. It’s a part of history and we should learn from it!

Song of the South is a different story. It’s considered by many to be an example of white revisionist art. There are many problems with it, one being Uncle Remus’ relationships with the white people he “works” for. Remus is a recently freed slave who remains at the plantation where he was enslaved. He presents this as a positive thing, that he is happy to work there. This is a classic theme in works by white writers from that time. It’s problematic because the conditions for these recently freed slaves were dire, but white writers often aimed to erase that fact. People who know much more about the topic have written extensively about this, you can find many resources online.

There are many more problems with the film, right down to the song Zip a dee doo da. Consider the efforts Disney has gone to to make it near impossible to watch the movie today. You can’t buy or download it anywhere. And consider the fact that the movie was heavily protested when it premiered almost 80 years ago. Even by the much looser standards of the 40s, it was considered beyond the pale by many.

Thanks for the conversation!
Welcome, thanks for sharing! :flower1: :love:

Apparently they consider passive aggressive laughing emojis a useful contribution to the discussion .. I would waste much time worrying what they think.
I have an opinion and most clamoring for it to change make laugh. Where does it end? I saw a list of 12 Disney rides that were listed as being potentially offensive and this list included Its a small world and carousel of progress....***! Why not Tom Sawyer island too as Mark Twain’s writing was offensive. This is all crap and it does nothing.

I have an opinion and most clamoring for it to change make laugh. Where does it end? I saw a list of 12 Disney rides that were listed as being potentially offensive and this list included Its a small world and carousel of progress....***! Why not Tom Sawyer island too as Mark Twain’s writing was offensive. This is all crap and it does nothing.
K... I didn’t clamour for anything . I suggested my opinion didn’t matter and I’d rather hear from the community that it affects. You’ll forgive me if I‘m not clamouring to get into an intellectual debate with someone who declares others thoughts and opinions as “all crap” :rolleyes: .

If you want Disney to start charging rides people can find offensive you better be ready for them to change many rides. Not just the ones you find offensive. As has been pointed out there will be little of the current parks left. Are you ready for that?

Yet you laughed when I said nothing about changing it. Hmmmm

@maxiesmom, do you not think Song of the South is racist? I’m wondering if it’s your opinion that things should be kept even if they’re really racist, or if you just don’t think Song of the South is very racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter