Restaurants accepting credit/debit only?

I get that there's a backlash because it can't possibly live up to the hype. However, you're right that the hype isn't simply about how good they are but how reasonably they're priced. Also the mystique about their "secret menu".

This article is talking about the prices. I find it's not that accurate because locations all have different prices, but they be considering some average.

https://www.kcet.org/food/the-bright-side-of-in-n-outs-price-hike
If I'm going to be paying $9-10 my choices are:

Chili's 3 for $10 with a drink, appetizer, and a large burger. I'll probably need to pay a tip unless it's takeout.
Red Robin Tavern Double burger for $6.99 with "bottomless" fries. I put that in quotes because once I was told I couldn't get any more.
The Habit, a mostly California chain for those unfamiliar.
Habit is good as are their prices.

I didn't relize Chillis had a 3 for $10 deal. Haven't been there in a while. Will have to consider that next time we are looking for cheap eats. We have started going to Denny's lately but they are always overcrowded and understaffed at dinnertime.

Was just at the Bronx zoo for a special event. There was a food truck that didn’t accept cash.
As someone who never carries cash, I love it!!

I didn't relize Chillis had a 3 for $10 deal. Haven't been there in a while. Will have to consider that next time we are looking for cheap eats. We have started going to Denny's lately but they are always overcrowded and understaffed at dinnertime.

Had it last week, but not this week. One time I was in a crowded location (there was a game and it was packed) where I was OK with people joining my table in the bar area. I also found out that multiple checks can be listed on those tablets. At least with the chips there were so many I told anyone at my table they were welcome to share. Even then I had enough to take home since my kid loves those thin chips.

But 3 for $10 isn't a happy hour special or anything. I've gone for lunch or sometimes after leaving the office late. I was told they had a bigger menu before including a small steak or a half slab of ribs as the entree, but the burger itself is more than $10 at my location. And none of the servers looks funny at me for ordering, but I leave a larger tip than I normally would for a $10 check.

5 guys is good for a fast food burger. When we want to dig into a great burger it usually costs $15 to $20 at a pub type place (non Chain). If I am paying under $10 I don’t expect much

I'd have no issues. I can't remember the last time I paid cash for a meal anywhere, let alone a nice restaurant.

Almost 20% of Americans are under banked and do not have access to a debit or credit card.

If a homeless person gets together enough cash to buy a meal and all the surrounding businesses have gone cash free what are they to do? They could go buy a visa gift card but that comes with a $5-$8 fee and in their situation that $5-$8 is not inconsequential.

I don't blame them for not wanting to open a bank account. US Bank hit my daughter up for some outrageous fees 10 years ago and I promptly closed her and my accounts. I told them why. Banks are complete blood suckers. I haven't had a bank account since. I never use cash since it is no use to me and I have no way to deposit any cash.

Fidelity, Vanguard, and Schwab are much more consumer friendly. I would be curious how they would handle a homeless person trying to open an account with very little funds. My son is eligible for government assistance just like many of the homeless. I opened him account with Fidelity. No way I would let the banks or even worse the Money Tree/Check Cashing services suck him blind.

At the restaurant we took my mum out for her birthday dinner had a sign asking to consider paying by cash or debit, instead of Credit. The sign cited the fees associated with accepting credit cards. It was a family owned restaurant, so maybe employee theft isn't really much of an issue for them.

Reminds me of the time when I went to get my windows tinted and was about to pay with my credit card and they guy asked if I could pay with debit or cash because of the fees. I told him I preferred to use my credit card because I get incentives and he got really upset and was complaining to me about how I'm taking money out of his business. Really unprofessional. First and last time I will use them. It's a shame because they did good work.

Reminds me of the time when I went to get my windows tinted and was about to pay with my credit card and they guy asked if I could pay with debit or cash because of the fees. I told him I preferred to use my credit card because I get incentives and he got really upset and was complaining to me about how I'm taking money out of his business. Really unprofessional. First and last time I will use them. It's a shame because they did good work.
Depends on the business. For a corporate business there's a cost to cash. When you see an armored car show up to take or bring cash, that's a cost to the business. Even sending an employee to a bank branch to make a deposit is time and money.

But yeah - a lot of small businesses prefer cash because the credit card fees eat into their revenues.

I have never encountered a place like that. I have seen places that do not accept cards though. Thankfully they seem to be marked pretty well before you go in.

I would definitely wonder about the legal issues of not accepting cash. Isn't there some kind of wording about it being "legal tender for all debts public and private"? However, I would not mind going somewhere that does not take cash because I never really use cash myself. I could also see advantages in regards to security advantages to places not using cash.

They're the Zebra domes of the fast food world.

What you will get is a good burger at a great price (relative to some of the more expensive burger places.) You can customize your burger how you like. You can even have it mustard grilled or up to 4 patties and 4 cheese slices. They'll do most anything. Grilled onions instead of chopped. Chili peppers cooked into the burger. You can even ask for cold cheese instead of melted. Not interested in carbs today? Order it protein style.
What you will not get is a burger to die for. Insert any other gushing, fawning, or glowing statements here. Ummmm. No. It's not the best burger you can get anywhere. But it's probably one of the best values (bang for the buck) in the fast food business.

As for those that complain about the fries, uh all you have to do is ask for crispier fries and you'll get them.

I love In-N-Out. While sure it's not the best burger you can get anywhere, it's miles ahead of most other fast food burgers, Some places like Whataburger are close, but compared to the nationwide chain joints they are way better, and cheaper. In-N-Out in my experience also has really great service, like Chick-fil-A (well, maybe not that good but better than most fast food), so that adds a boost to their cred.

I agree about the fries - well done is the way to go. It's a California thing, but my brother in law turned me onto that and it's amazing!

I live out in the ‘burbs of NYC (Long Island) and we have a bunch of places like this locally. In all honesty, I despise Cash with a passion because I never have exact change.

In the city - there are so many places that only take cash (especially trendy bars or pop up restaurants) which sucks.
Pizza, no different than pizza you get in any mall. Complete disappointment. This was for the typical "NY Slice" at the highly recommended Joe's Pizza. I wasn't disappointed that it was bad pizza, it was my kind of pizza. I was disappointed in that I had very high expectations and it was no different than mall pizza (which I love.) I was ready to be blown away on the NY Slice of pizza which didn't happen.

Joe’s is most certainly very average. The only reason it’s popular is it’s cameo in Spider Man.

If you ever return, you should check out places in West Village or Little Italy. Prince Street Pizza is a family favorite of mine, as is John’s on Bleecker Street.

There's a locally famous hotdog place in my area that does cash only. It infuriates me and I refuse to go. They do have an ATM machine inside, but then there's a fee to use it, of course. So I can see why the other-way-round would be irritating.

I love In-N-Out. While sure it's not the best burger you can get anywhere, it's miles ahead of most other fast food burgers, Some places like Whataburger are close, but compared to the nationwide chain joints they are way better, and cheaper. In-N-Out in my experience also has really great service, like Chick-fil-A (well, maybe not that good but better than most fast food), so that adds a boost to their cred.

I agree about the fries - well done is the way to go. It's a California thing, but my brother in law turned me onto that and it's amazing!

In-N-Out has a process. They don't freeze their meat and need central commissaries where they process their meat into patties compared to most fast food places that buy frozen patties from suppliers.

I'm sure they could change the fries but right now that's their thing. You can see them taking the potatoes and placing them through the dicer. It's 100% potatoes and nothing else. Other fast food places use frozen, processed potatoes that might be doused with sugars to help with browning and have added flavorings. If they're too soft then one can simply order them well done.

Joe’s is most certainly very average. The only reason it’s popular is it’s cameo in Spider Man.

If you ever return, you should check out places in West Village or Little Italy. Prince Street Pizza is a family favorite of mine, as is John’s on Bleecker Street.
I wanted to both eat at Lombardi's just because it supposedly is the first permit for a pizza shop in the US and the NY slice in Manhattan. Couple of NY residents have video vlogs on Youtube and went with their suggestions of Joe's. It wasn't bad mind you, it was fantastic. Exactly the kind of pizza I love. Just didn't blow my mind as expected because it was the same as all the Italian mall pizza places here, which I also love.

We never got time to get to Little Italy. There was so much to do and see and my girls were worn out after about 6-7 hours. Heck, I ride hundreds of miles doing bicycle touring and I was wiped out.

We ate Monday at Five Guys for the first time. $9+ for a burger is pretty high. It was good but not $9 good.
DW and DD just brought home In and Out for lunch. They are good too, and much more reasonable.

We have a local privately owned gourmet burger place and their burgers are $9 to $12. THOSE burgers are worth that price.
Five Guys is near a half pound burger for the regular double patty. You're not getting a near half pound burger at very many places. $9 for a near half pound burger is very reasonable, especially when there is no added cost for cheese, mushrooms, or bacon which is usually more cost anywhere else. And their fresh cut fries are 2nd only to the best fries which is Thrashers on Ocean City Boardwalk. And you get a LOT of fries for the cost. I never get to share. They reheat very well in the toaster oven so it's usually a steak salad the following day for lunch (yes, fries on salad, it's a Pittsburgh thing.)

As for not accepting cash, technically I don't think that is legal. I was under the impression that cash is the one legal tender that must be accepted everywhere.

This is pretty common here in NYC, especially in quick lunch places. It means there is no cash in the store for employees to handle and it speeds up the cash out process (if you've ever been in a lunch rush in NYC, you'd understand how effective this can be). Most places have signs clearly noting that they are a no-cash establishment. A few I can think of off the top of my head is Shake Shack, Dos Toros and Dig Inn.

This is pretty common here in NYC, especially in quick lunch places. It means there is no cash in the store for employees to handle and it speeds up the cash out process (if you've ever been in a lunch rush in NYC, you'd understand how effective this can be). Most places have signs clearly noting that they are a no-cash establishment. A few I can think of off the top of my head is Shake Shack, Dos Toros and Dig Inn.
Must just be me. I always seem to behind the person that has to try 5 debit cards before finding one that wasn't declined.

Five Guys is near a half pound burger for the regular double patty. You're not getting a near half pound burger at very many places. $9 for a near half pound burger is very reasonable, especially when there is no added cost for cheese, mushrooms, or bacon which is usually more cost anywhere else. And their fresh cut fries are 2nd only to the best fries which is Thrashers on Ocean City Boardwalk. And you get a LOT of fries for the cost. I never get to share. They reheat very well in the toaster oven so it's usually a steak salad the following day for lunch (yes, fries on salad, it's a Pittsburgh thing.)

As for not accepting cash, technically I don't think that is legal. I was under the impression that cash is the one legal tender that must be accepted everywhere.
That’s not a requirement. Never has been.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspxI thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter