Restaurants accepting credit/debit only?

That’s not a requirement. Never has been.

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."​
This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.​
Ah ha, gotcha. Creditor vs. vendor.

I'm sure they could change the fries but right now that's their thing. You can see them taking the potatoes and placing them through the dicer. It's 100% potatoes and nothing else. Other fast food places use frozen, processed potatoes that might be doused with sugars to help with browning and have added flavorings. If they're too soft then one can simply order them well done.
It’s not that they are too soft, it’s that they taste disgusting.

By not taking cash, they could be cutting out a large spending population- teens. Not all of them have debit cards and many prefer to use cash. My 16 year olds do have bank cards so they would be ok; however, they tend to pay cash for most things when they shop or go out with friends. They say it’s easier. Teens have a lot of spending power these days.

It’s not that they are too soft, it’s that they taste disgusting.
Yeah. Those fries just aren't the same without 20 extra things in them some of which you can barely pronounce. Enjoy your dimethylpolysiloxane, sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, and "natural beef flavoring" among other things.
I'll take the ones made with freshly cut potatoes with salt.

As for not accepting cash, technically I don't think that is legal. I was under the impression that cash is the one legal tender that must be accepted everywhere.

The rule is that currency and coinage settle all debts. But you see, when you go buy a shirt or buy a hamburger, you don't have a debt to settle. It's just a transaction. So if they say we don't accept cash, there's no transaction and hence you can't require they take it. This is the interpretation so far at the federal level. Now this rule does not prohibit states and localities from requiring businesses take cash.

Yeah. Those fries just aren't the same without 20 extra things in them some of which you can barely pronounce. Enjoy your dimethylpolysiloxane, sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, and "natural beef flavoring" among other things.
I'll take the ones made with freshly cut potatoes with salt.
In-N-Out for better or worse has tied itself to Kennebec potatoes, which apparently need to have a fairly long preparation time in order to cook well. Maybe even double-fried, but they don't have the time to do it.

In-N-Out makes such a good fast food burger. Why are their fries so damn bad? Because they don't double-fry their potatoes — and all of the best French fries in the world are cooked at least twice.​
Steve Samson, the chef and owner of Sotto, Rossoblu and Superfine Pizza, explains why.​
He says In-N-Out starts out well, using the Kennebec, a starchy potato that doesn't have as much sugar as a Russet. This results in fries with a crisp exterior and a soft interior — when they're properly cooked.​
To achieve that, the potatoes must be soaked in water before they're fried, ideally as much as overnight. In-N-Out doesn't do that. They fry their potatoes almost immediately after they cut them. You can see employees using a contraption that looks like an orange juice squeezer to slice fresh potatoes then tossing them in deep fryers, almost immediately after.​
"The only way to make a really good french fry is to cook it at least twice, if not three times," Samson says.​
For the perfect fries, Samson says you should blanch them in oil at 250 to 275 °F for five to six minutes. Then you need to take them out of the oil and lay them flat. You can now refrigerate or freeze them, if you want. Shortly before you plan to serve the fries, drop them into 375 °F oil for a quick, second fry.​
The first fry cooks the potatoes all the way through. The second fry achieves a crisp, golden exterior.​

Cafeteria at work just went to no cash. Credit/ debit card or payroll deduction. The reason they got rid of the cashier. You scan your own food and drinks.

Cafeteria at work just went to no cash. Credit/ debit card or payroll deduction. The reason they got rid of the cashier. You scan your own food and drinks.
Wow. A cafeteria at work? I thought those were more of a dinosaur that places that take cash!

Wow. A cafeteria at work? I thought those were more of a dinosaur that places that take cash!
Tech companies almost always have very nice cafeterias. Not unlike colleges each offering nicer and nicer amenities to compete for students, tech companies do the same to compete for workers.

Tech companies almost always have very nice cafeterias. Not unlike colleges each offering nicer and nicer amenities to compete for students, tech companies do the same to compete for workers.
Wall Street Journal had a story about 6 months ago on companies cutting out perks like cafeterias. I'll have to see if I can find it. IRS was crackdown on those kind of perks. Company had to prove they were making money on the cafeteria, and if they weren't, they had to track which employees were using the cafeteria and calculate the tax on that benefit.

I did find this. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-your-days-free-lunch-may-numbered/842681002/

Wall Street Journal had a story about 6 months ago on companies cutting out perks like cafeterias. I'll have to see if I can find it. IRS was crackdown on those kind of perks. Company had to prove they were making money on the cafeteria, and if they weren't, they had to track which employees were using the cafeteria and calculate the tax on that benefit.

I did find this. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-your-days-free-lunch-may-numbered/842681002/
My tech employeer has a you pay for yourself cafeteria as do many. It is a benefit because I can grab lunch and still get 50 mins of my lunch hour off to relax. If I drive anywhere it takes 30-40 mins round trip, not leaving much time for lunch and relaxing.

My tech employeer has a you pay for yourself cafeteria as do many. It is a benefit because I can grab lunch and still get 50 mins of my lunch hour off to relax. If I drive anywhere it takes 30-40 mins round trip, not leaving much time for lunch and relaxing.

I was a contractor as a large tech company (everyone would have heard of it) where the cafeteria prices were pretty reasonable. I've also interviewed (many times) at various locations of this company where lunch was typically provided via a voucher for myself and the host, although one time it was catered in the meeting room with another candidate and myself. But in the cafeteria something decent might be about $5-6 and most beverages are free for full employees (but not contractors). I'd also get a beverage and sometimes wouldn't get charged for it. I never tried to hide my badge, which was color coded to indicate I was a contractor. Sometimes I would still go out because I got tired of it or bring my own lunch.

We had included lunch one place where I worked. We were supposed to account for it by signing our names on a sheet, but later it changed to using our badges. We always had one "ethnic" special (had to do with the company's origin), Indian (it was Silicon Valley), burgers, sandwiches, and a salad bar. I didn't always go there. We did a lot of that stuff.

Right now I'm working from home most of the time, and our office is pretty small. I tend to eat cheap when I'm at the office.

About two months ago the debit/credit system at a local supermarket went down. Apparently they could still process credit transactions manually, but not debit, and it was taking a while. They posted a few checkouts as cash only. Fortunately I was only there for a few things and had about $20 cash with me. I still carry some cash for small purchases.

I have no problem with businesses declining to accept cash. Or accepting cash only.

My company headquarters has a cafeteria, as does a satellite location nearby. Coffee/tea and company branded bottled beverages are free. Cash is accepted, but I think 90%+ pay with a card.

When I lived in California I went to In-N-Out Burger occasionally but it was nothing special.

Thats crazy, cash should always be king
Working in the tech industry I know a lot of people from mainland China. Many of the older generation still insist on using cash because they weren't quite comfortable with credit cards. On top of that, their most common credit card network is UnionPay. It's really weird because I'm seeing a lot of UnionPay signs around here even though they only issue cards in China.

Working in the tech industry I know a lot of people from mainland China. Many of the older generation still insist on using cash because they weren't quite comfortable with credit cards. On top of that, their most common credit card network is UnionPay. It's really weird because I'm seeing a lot of UnionPay signs around here even though they only issue cards in China.

I most always use debit card, but still cash should be the boss

I don't blame them for not wanting to open a bank account. US Bank hit my daughter up for some outrageous fees 10 years ago and I promptly closed her and my accounts. I told them why. Banks are complete blood suckers. I haven't had a bank account since. I never use cash since it is no use to me and I have no way to deposit any cash.

Fidelity, Vanguard, and Schwab are much more consumer friendly. I would be curious how they would handle a homeless person trying to open an account with very little funds. My son is eligible for government assistance just like many of the homeless. I opened him account with Fidelity. No way I would let the banks or even worse the Money Tree/Check Cashing services suck him blind.

That's why I have a Credit Union account. CUs are also much more consumer friendly. Commercial banks are in business to make a profit, which seems like a potential conflict of interest when I'm letting them handle my money.

Exactly. Which is why the IRS wants to track and tax it if the employer is offering it below cost.

It's really weird because I'm seeing a lot of UnionPay signs around here even though they only issue cards in China.
On a recent trip to Las Vegas I noticed that all the MGM properties accepted WeChat Pay. If you want to make money, you accept all forms of payment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter