Recommendation for rollator or something different

Lauren in NC

Mouseketeer
Well, after my last trip, I think it's finally getting to the point where I need to consider an accessibility device. This was our first trip without using a stroller the majority of the time and honestly I hadn't realized how much I'd come to depend on pushing it. I was noticeably slower and in more pain at the end of the day on the days we didn't bring it to the park. I don't really want to continue bringing a stroller when my kids no long truly need it - it takes up a lot of room in the car and it's pretty inconvenient to push in crowds. I'm not sure about a wheelchair or ECV - sitting/getting back up is a bit painful, and sitting for a while tends to mean that my joints will hurt worse when I get up again. I'm guessing a rollator might be the next step. What would you all recommend? Would it be best to rent one or just buy one outright, especially if we usually take two or more trips a year?

I have RA which unfortunately has caused the same as you described. I went from pushing a stroller, to a cane and then w ent to rollator. However, when at Disney I've found in better off in a ecv (scooter) and get up when I feel the need to walk or stretch. (I've rented from outside vendor, this year Gold Mobility.). There is a lot of walking in Disney and to me it's easier to "sit and stretch".

However, I am going to suggest that if you can, no correction, when you can you purchase a roll store for home use. (Check prices, Wal-Mart sells for under $100. We have a store "Meijer", it's a chain, but not sure exactly how far (east coast) they are located. So metimes they have them on sale for $75. Get one with a basket under seat.

If a scooter isn't possible, definitely go with rollator.

Well, after my last trip, I think it's finally getting to the point where I need to consider an accessibility device. This was our first trip without using a stroller the majority of the time and honestly I hadn't realized how much I'd come to depend on pushing it. I was noticeably slower and in more pain at the end of the day on the days we didn't bring it to the park. I don't really want to continue bringing a stroller when my kids no long truly need it - it takes up a lot of room in the car and it's pretty inconvenient to push in crowds. I'm not sure about a wheelchair or ECV - sitting/getting back up is a bit painful, and sitting for a while tends to mean that my joints will hurt worse when I get up again. I'm guessing a rollator might be the next step. What would you all recommend? Would it be best to rent one or just buy one outright, especially if we usually take two or more trips a year?

Especially if you think you might use it at home/around your community, I would say buy one, simply because you will quickly surpass the cost of purchasing with a rental.

You may want to consider either a walker or a Rollator. A walker is what a lot of folks think of first; it's a 3 sided frame, and you hold on to the sides closest to the opening, and push it along. Walkers can be equipped with all kinds of "feet", including the bright yellow/green tennis balls so often seen on TV and in movies. There are "ski" type feet and wheels, and even just plain rubber tips (which are meant to encourage the user to pick up the walker and move it, not slide it.) Walkers are typically super lightweight, and super compact when folded. There are *lots* of "accessories" for sale on Amazon - like pockets that you can hang off of the walker to give you a bit of storage.

Rollators* are kind of like a walker and a wheelchair together, in that you have 4 wheels, and often handbrakes to help control your speed going downhill. They have a (typically padded) seat, and often a small fabric or wire basket under the seat for storage. Rollators give you something to hang on to while walking, and when stopped, a place to sit if needed. Rollators aren't really meant to act like a wheelchair; the wheels are too small, and the center of gravity really isn't right for pushing a seated person, plus there are no handles for a "pusher" to hold on to.

There *are* some further "hybrid" devices that will advertise as a walker/wheelchair/Rollator combo, but anytime you see those small wheels, it will be difficult for someone to push a seated person for any amount of time. Especially on all of the patterned surfaces at WDW. (And I bet you are now painfully aware of how many hills, slopes and inclines there are at WDW - it's kind of surprising!). These kind of devices won't really hold up to a full day at a Theme Park.

There are other options if you want to walk supported, and avoid a chair/ECV for now, however they are typically either not as readily available, or as inexpensive as a walker or a Rollator. (Devices like the Upwalker)

If you decide to go with a manual wheelchair, avoid a "transport chair" - those are the wheelchairs with four small wheels. While those are great for short trips around your community, again, like with the "hybrid" devices I mentioned above, they just don't hold up for a full day at WDW. Not only are they difficult to push (because of the smaller wheels) but the seat can be *very* uncomfortable as it is typically a thin fabric "sling" that offers little, if any, support.

*Rollator is actually a brand name, however, over time it has become synonymous in the community for a "walker with a seat" device. Just like lots of folks say "Kleenex" for facial tissue, "Xerox" for photocopy, or "Aspirin" for pain relief (Yes, there used to be a brand-name called "Aspirin" but it became so generic that the drug itself is now called aspirin instead of acetylsalicylic acid!)

Rollator(s) actually do come with two size wheels. I have one with 5" wheels. This one is meant to sit and rest, but not ride. There is also one with 8" wheels. I also have this one. It is a lot heavier and I believe was made for those 250 lbs and larger. I have used this one when shopping with others. (I'm not near 250 lbs) The bigger wheels make the walker very sturdy and I have sat and been pushed short distances. I am riding backwards, and the "pusher" is in front of me. It is not meant to be used as a wheelchair.

They also make walkers with a hard plastic seat that folds up and out of the way when walking and drop down when needed. I've tried this un sucessfuly. Seat is hard and difficult to stand again. (Amazon - Drive Medical brand).

The reason why I recommend buying one for home, even if not currently using one. RA and osteo arthritis, starts slow and then one day you find you need it and it will be readily available. The OP mentioned kids past the stroller stage, which means lots of activities.

Boy, your post could have been written by me a few years ago. But on my first trip w/o a stroller to lean on, I finally had to break down and use a scooter. Yes, I cried-for a while, until I discovered how much freedom it gave me and that very rarely did I get "those" looks. I can't recommend a rollator-I have one at home, but at WDW there's so much walking, and I don't trust sitting on a rollator (have one roll out from under you once and your butt gets sore when you hit the floor and you'll learn to mistrust it also). And rent from offsite, it's cheaper and getting around the resort or even to the bus stop gets tiring. If you go to WDW twice a year, buying a transportable scooter may be in your future.

I can't recommend a rollator-I have one at home, but at WDW there's so much walking, and I don't trust sitting on a rollator (have one roll out from under you once and your butt gets sore when you hit the floor and you'll learn to mistrust it also)
Yeah, @Simba'sMom is right. Five-twelve miles daily, even with stops for attractions and shows? Whew! I'm exhausted just thinking about it!
And rent from offsite, it's cheaper and getting around the resort or even to the bus stop gets tiring. If you go to WDW twice a year, buying a transportable scooter may be in your future.
Disney doesn't have rollators, so a renyalbwould have to be from offsite. Now, Gold's rollator is very nice and a reasonable price, but for literally a cew cents more - $59.99 vs. $60.03 - you can buy a nice basic one from Amazon. Cheaper, even. They have one under $55.00, but it has a wire basket under the seat. I'd rather keep my bellngings hidden :).

Bjkandma, RA is what I'm currently being tested for. I've had fibromyalgia for quite a few years, but the pain in my joints is new and not being handled at all by my current meds.

Thank you for all the recommendations and advice! We're DL people, so not quite as much walking as WDW (and no buses, thank goodness!). But I was surprised by how much some of the slopes (the Millennium Falcon ride! oof!) and stairs bothered me. I usually walk 2-3 miles every night while pushing the stroller so while I planned for expected some additional wear and tear, it was a lot worse than I imagined. I guess my current thoughts are that a rollator would both give me something to lean on and someplace to sit if needed (thanks, Project Stardust!), and it's something I could have with me all the time. I think with a wheelchair or scooter I'd end up wanting to park it somewhere and then trying to walk around without it. My husband's usually almost always with me, but both kids have special needs as well, so I honestly worry about how quickly I'd be able to get up if I'm sitting in a wheelchair or scooter and needed to run (ha! shuffle quickly) after them.

Thank you again for all the wonderful help, and I think I'll look into buying one for my next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter