Real ID: Married Women Beware!

I just went online, clicked a few times, and they mailed a Real ID to me.

I made my appointment over a month ago and it's still over a month away. I'm thinking of just showing up on a Saturday and then cancelling the appointment.

Well, I've been married and divorced 3 times and changed back to my maiden name a couple of those times. This should be interesting. I ALWAYS filed the court papers with social security office and got a card with my new name, but sounds like this isn't foolproof. I have no clue where all those marriage licenses and divorce papers are. I DO have a passport with my current name, but it's due to expire soon. I guess I should get this done before that happens if they will accept a passport.

My poor oldest daughter had 3 last names before she was 8 or 9 years old. Now she is married and has a 4th last name. I hope she doesn't need all those court papers. She also has a passport, so going to give her a heads up.
Your current passport will count for proof of current legal name and US citizenship when getting a real ID drivers license. Definitely renew the passports within the allowable time frame.

Edited for clarity.

Well, I've been married and divorced 3 times and changed back to my maiden name a couple of those times. This should be interesting. I ALWAYS filed the court papers with social security office and got a card with my new name, but sounds like this isn't foolproof. I have no clue where all those marriage licenses and divorce papers are. I DO have a passport with my current name, but it's due to expire soon. I guess I should get this done before that happens if they will accept a passport.

My poor oldest daughter had 3 last names before she was 8 or 9 years old. Now she is married and has a 4th last name. I hope she doesn't need all those court papers. She also has a passport, so going to give her a heads up.

Last edited:
I made my appointment over a month ago and it's still over a month away. I'm thinking of just showing up on a Saturday and then cancelling the appointment.
Maybe you'll get lucky, but be prepared for a long wait if you go without an appointment. When I went, everyone with an appointment was allowed to go to the front of the line while the walk ins had to just wait... and wait.

I'm male...but I renewed my DL online, and it has the gold star for Real ID.

If the reason that your daughter went through multiple last name changes as a child is because her step-fathers adopted her, she'll only have to show the birth certificate that was issued after her final adoption, in addition to her marriage certificate, to document the name change. I have the same situation, name at birth and then adopted twice by step-fathers, then name changed again when married. I only needed one birth certificate, not all three.

She was only adopted by one step father. She was born during an extremely physically abusive teenage marriage. I moved several states away to save myself, and her, from that. Divorced her father and was able to change her, along with myself, to my maiden name during the divorce process since her bio father would be no part of her life.

She was adopted by her step father after we were married for 3 years. We are still married. I do have the adoption papers and revised birth certificate for her, but no sure about the original divorce and name change papers for her. I may have them, would have to dig through all my old files. Hopefully you are correct about not needing all of those. We live in Florida, but not sure if all states are sticking to the same rules or not. Going to take care of this very soon and will report back.

Thanks for the info!!

She was only adopted by one step father. She was born during an extremely physically abusive teenage marriage. I moved several states away to save myself, and her, from that. Divorced her father and was able to change her, along with myself, to my maiden name during the divorce process since her bio father would be no part of her life.

She was adopted by her step father after we were married for 3 years. We are still married. I do have the adoption papers and revised birth certificate for her, but no sure about the original divorce and name change papers for her. I may have them, would have to dig through all my old files. Hopefully you are correct about not needing all of those. We live in Florida, but not sure if all states are sticking to the same rules or not. Going to take care of this very soon and will report back.

Thanks for the info!!

Last edited:
Maybe you'll get lucky, but be prepared for a long wait if you go without an appointment. When I went, everyone with an appointment was allowed to go to the front of the line while the walk ins had to just wait... and wait.

I get that. However, my choices are to wait more than 5 weeks for an 8 AM appointment or wait and see how long it takes as a walk in this Saturday.

I get that. However, my choices are to wait more than 5 weeks for an 8 AM appointment or wait and see how long it takes as a walk in this Saturday.
I understand. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that anyone checking in for an appointment (even if they arrive early) moves to the front of the line. When I was there, a lot of walk in people were visibly upset, to the point where they were yelling at the MVA employees and at the people being serviced ahead of them.

I understand. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that anyone checking in for an appointment (even if they arrive early) moves to the front of the line. When I was there, a lot of walk in people were visibly upset, to the point where they were yelling at the MVA employees and at the people being serviced ahead of them.

Well - I've gotten replacement driver licenses a few times for various reasons. One time I forgot it - I think after a hotel asked to photocopy it. I actually drove home over 100 miles without it. I could get an appointment the next day about 15 miles from home. I asked my dad to drive me there. Another time my wife asked me for it to make a copy and she couldn't find it. So I actually rode my bike (and took a bus home) to our closest DMV office. When I got there the estimated walk-in wait time was 60 minutes, but it took me about 80 minutes. The irony was that my wife found it later, but it's actually legal to have multiple valid driver licenses.

Other than that I've gotten my driver license renewed by mail and hadn't had to come in since the 90s. I had the same DL photo for almost 20 years. If I needed any kind of registration services, I'm a AAA member and our local offices can handle that. They were even able to do pink slips after I paid off my car loan.

But right now California is dealing with unprecedented waits, and to get a REAL ID DL or ID requires coming in person with the documents.

I'm in Texas and I didn't have any issues. I just renewed my DL last month. I have my maiden name and married last name in my DL and my middle name and married last name on my passport. Everything went through smoothly.

I'm in Texas and I didn't have any issues. I just renewed my DL last month. I have my maiden name and married last name in my DL and my middle name and married last name on my passport. Everything went through smoothly.
Does your new license have a gold star in the upper right? If so, you're good to go.

TYTAW4EQTW3U4ODEP6MKBUI4B4.jpg

I went thru the Real ID process a few months ago (Maryland). I had zero issues, it was quick - I had an appointment. Used the birth certificate I've had my whole life showing my maiden name. Been married 26 years. Did have my marriage certificate with me, passport, copy of my taxes and I think a copy of my car insurance?
Of course, in Maryland many of us already had the gold star on our licenses but HADN'T go thru the paperwork process yet.

I went thru the Real ID process a few months ago (Maryland). I had zero issues, it was quick - I had an appointment. Used the birth certificate I've had my whole life showing my maiden name. Been married 26 years. Did have my marriage certificate with me, passport, copy of my taxes and I think a copy of my car insurance?
Of course, in Maryland many of us already had the gold star on our licenses but HADN'T go thru the paperwork process yet.

The fact that you have a passport probably made the whole process easier.

I think the main issue is women who 40 -50 years ago got married , divorce, moved , remarried, moved, then lost all the paperwork from years ago.

The fact that you have a passport probably made the whole process easier.

I think the main issue is women who 40 -50 years ago got married , divorce, moved , remarried, moved, then lost all the paperwork from years ago.
From earlier comments on the thread I think it's also an issue for people who got married and the marriage certificate issued isn't the same as it is now. That seemed to be a main issue too. That what paperwork was needed/done when they got married is different now.

That's me! I have the star, and keep getting emails from the MVA about how I have to come back and give them my paperwork. So far I'm ignoring the emails. They screwed up, not me. I went and brought everything they needed. I have the license that will get me on the airplanes. I see no need to waste my time on a Saturday to get exactly nothing in return.

Just renewing is different from getting a Real ID.
Yup that's the same here in my state.

You can opt to renew with a non-REAL ID should you want to in my state. I believe it will say "Not for Federal ID" if one renewed as a non-REAL ID or just got a non-REAL ID DL for the first time at least that's my understanding for my state in particular.

I'll be honest - I'm 47 years old, consider myself not terribly out of touch with reality and world goings-ons, and have NEVER known of anyone or heard of anyone getting their birth certificate changed after they got married! I mean - it's not really a true record of your birth if it's altered to reflect a name change, is it?
I didn't get it changed and had no problem with the Real ID, or getting a passport or anything else over the past 26 years.
Have I had a totally different experience than everyone else?

That's me! I have the star, and keep getting emails from the MVA about how I have to come back and give them my paperwork. So far I'm ignoring the emails. They screwed up, not me. I went and brought everything they needed. I have the license that will get me on the airplanes. I see no need to waste my time on a Saturday to get exactly nothing in return.

Exactly...I know a TON of folks that already had the star on their license already but hadn't gone in to submit their paperwork. I got the emails and went...I'll be honest, I needed a afternoon out of the office ha ha and our MVA is rural, so it wasn't like I had to go to Glen Burnie or anything!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter