Reading Challenge 2022

1/30 - Her Mother's Secret by Natasha Lester - I enjoyed this book. I am an avid historical fiction reader and this book did not disappoint. Was there a cheesy love interest yes, but it was still an interesting concept. I did not know that cosmetics were so looked down upon during the early 1920's - 1930's. The story also had a women trying to make her way in a world of big business men during a time when women were supposed to stay home and have babies. I would give it 3.5 stars, but I have only given 5 stars to a handful of books so 3.5 means it was pretty good in my opinion.

2/30 - The Velvet Hours by Alyson Richman - I also enjoyed this one. I had to look up the information about the abandoned Paris apartment that the book was based on as well. Many of my reads have to do with WW II and this one takes place in Paris right before the German occupation but the main story is of a Paris women who led an extremely interesting life as a kept women. It begins in the late 1890's and finishes with the women's granddaughter telling her grandmother's story. I give it 3.5 stars.

3/50 Stealing Home by Sherryl Woods.
This is the first in the series, and I may have read it before, or maybe having read Welcome to Serenity, I simply knew the story from references in that book. I don’t think I have to read the whole series, but probably will lead a later one yet. 3.5/5

#3/50 Billy Summers by Stephen King
Billy Summers is a man in a room with a gun. He’s a killer for hire and the best in the business. But he’ll do the job only if the target is a truly bad guy. And now Billy wants out. But first there is one last hit. Billy is among the best snipers in the world, a decorated Iraq war vet, a Houdini when it comes to vanishing after the job is done. So what could possibly go wrong?

Good as always.

2/35 The Hidden Child by Louise Fein

In 1928 Professor Hamilton is a leader in the eugenics movement which promotes institutionalizing and sterilizing those who are “genetically inferior.” His wife is supportive of his work until their four year old daughter begins having seizures. She then calls into question everything she believed about genetic inferiority and her faith in her husband is shaken.

I really enjoyed this historical fiction. As equally good as the story were the authors notes at the end. She wrote about the eugenics movement and how it began in England and then spread to the U.S. and then was enthusiastically adopted in Nazi Germany. She also wrote about her personal connection to the story, having a daughter with epilepsy who didn’t respond to anti-seizure medications.

3/50 Stealing Home by Sherryl Woods.
This is the first in the series, and I may have read it before, or maybe having read Welcome to Serenity, I simply knew the story from references in that book. I don’t think I have to read the whole series, but probably will lead a later one yet. 3.5/5
I just finished the 10th book in the series. They all read the same after a while, but I enjoy the introduction of new characters while intertwining with the old.

4/10 Where Azaleas Bloom by Sherryl Woods. #10 in the Sweet Magnolia series
Sadly this is the second to last in the series. The book felt similar to another earlier in the series, but had a very predictable ending. I did enjoy the new characters, as well as the storytelling pertaining to the older generation.

#1 The Ice Pick Surgeon by Sam Kean
Non fiction about unethical disturbing medical experiments
Would not recommend if you have a week stomach.

Anyone is interested in reading any of my works I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any of them: “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”.
You can see them all reviewed on Goodreads (click on link to view books). If you are interested in reading any of them please message me here or at Goodreads. I would greatly appreciate the effort.

And same here. I went to the Orange County Library System (here in Orlando) where you would think they would surely have it, and no luck. Guess I will be adding it to my book purchase request.

Just got a note from the Orange County Public Library System that based on my request (and your suggestion, threeboysmom, they are purchasing Fantasticland and will be sending it to me to read once it arrives. Thanks again for suggesting the title!!!

#3/50 Billy Summers by Stephen King
Billy Summers is a man in a room with a gun. He’s a killer for hire and the best in the business. But he’ll do the job only if the target is a truly bad guy. And now Billy wants out. But first there is one last hit. Billy is among the best snipers in the world, a decorated Iraq war vet, a Houdini when it comes to vanishing after the job is done. So what could possibly go wrong?

Good as always.

I've been saving this one for the end of my Stephen King re-read. This and If It Bleeds. At this point, it is going to take me longer than I hoped to get there (lol).

I’ve not been a part of this group in the past, but would like to join. I’ll set a goal of 24 books and see if I can meet it.

So far:
1/24 The Disappearing Act, by Catherine Steadman. This is her third book and I’ve enjoyed each and everyone one. The story is a thriller, set in Hollywood. Her stories are fresh and unpredictable and I read them cover to cover. If anyone is interested and hasn’t read any of her novels, I’d recommend reading Something in the Water first.

2/24 Silver Girl, by Elin Hilderbrand. I began reading her novels a few years ago and am always waiting for a new book to come out. I read Golden Girl, so when I came across a used copy at our library’s sale, I scooped it up. Honestly, I read her books partly because they have a island beach setting, and I can vacation in my mind. But this book was about a woman stripped raw, and how she dealt with loss. I related to certain aspects of this book and the last page had me in tears.

#2/50 Golden Girl by Elin Hilerbrand
This one was reviewed a few times on last years challenge so I grabbed it last week at the library.
Pretty good for a light read. I liked her Paradise series better tho.
"
Loved the Paradise series. I wouldn’t mind if she stepped out of Nantucket again.

1/15 Lost Horizon by James Hilton. I saw this book mentioned on an episode of Expedition Unknown where Josh Gates was searching for Shangri-La in Tibet. It was an interesting read, but I'm not too sure I liked the ending.

Where are these? My public library (in Windermere. FL) has two cute statues outside the building with readers (and one is part of a bench you can sit at) but these are wonderful.

Photos are not mine...

View attachment 641131
View attachment 641132View attachment 641133

Ohhh, I love those! Will have to try to go by there on our next Disney trip (hopefully by the end of the year)
The one I posted was from Burgas, Bulgaria. I follow Goodwill Librarian on Facebook & she posts a lot of library/reading area pictures.

I’ve not been a part of this group in the past, but would like to join. I’ll set a goal of 24 books and see if I can meet it.

So far:
1/24 The Disappearing Act, by Catherine Steadman. This is her third book and I’ve enjoyed each and everyone one. The story is a thriller, set in Hollywood. Her stories are fresh and unpredictable and I read them cover to cover. If anyone is interested and hasn’t read any of her novels, I’d recommend reading Something in the Water first.

2/24 Silver Girl, by Elin Hilderbrand. I began reading her novels a few years ago and am always waiting for a new book to come out. I read Golden Girl, so when I came across a used copy at our library’s sale, I scooped it up. Honestly, I read her books partly because they have a island beach setting, and I can vacation in my mind. But this book was about a woman stripped raw, and how she dealt with loss. I related to certain aspects of this book and the last page had me in tears.

Loved the Paradise series. I wouldn’t mind if she stepped out of Nantucket again.
Welcome! Lots of great recommendations on this thread.

Just got a note from the Orange County Public Library System that based on my request (and your suggestion, threeboysmom, they are purchasing Fantasticland and will be sending it to me to read once it arrives. Thanks again for suggesting the title!!!
The one I put on hold is "in transit" but sometimes that takes awhile also.

First book of 2022 finished last night!
1/The Last Bookshop of London written by Madeline Martin.
WWII historical fiction book about the bookstores that survived the blitz. Story is about wartime, loss and love. 4 stars out of 5. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Next up! In Five Years -Rebecca Serle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter