Reading Challenge 2022

Well thanks to having a lot of leave this month an not doing a whole lot outside of the house I read 38 books in December to finish off the year with 252 books.

215) Whiteout by Dhonielle Clayton , Tiffany D. Jackson , Nic Stone , Angie Thomas , Ashley Woodfolk & Nicola Yoon – YA Contemporary/Romance/Short Stories. 4.25/5

216) Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir by Padma Lakshmi – Memoir. 3.75/5

217) A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy – Contemporary. 3,75

218) She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindien – YA Romance. 4.25/5

219) Sigh, Gone: A Misfit's Memoir of Great Books, Punk Rock, and the Fight to Fit In by Phuc Tran – Memoir. 4.5/5

220) Amazing Peace: And Other Poems by Maya Angelou – Poetry. 4/5

221) Five Tuesdays in Winter by Lily King – Contemporary/Short Stories. 3.75/5

222) If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Translated by William Weaver) – Classic/Magical Realism. 3.75/5

223) The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden – Historical Fantasy. 4.5/5

224) The Indisputable Existence of Santa Claus: The Mathematics of Christmas by Hannah Fry and Thomas Oléron Evans – Mathematics. 3/5

225) Into the Riverlands by Nghi Vo – Fantasy. 4/5

226) Girls of Fate and Fury by Natasha Ngan – YA Fantasy. 4.5/5

227) The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen – Travel/Nature. 3.5/5

228) Secret Santa by Andrew Shaffer – Horror. 3.5/5

229) Middlegame by Seanan McGuire – Fantasy. 4/5

230) The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard – Memoir. 4/5

231) The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil by Al Ridenour and Sean Tejaratchi – History. 4/5

232) The Kwanzaa Brunch, A Holiday Novella by D. L. White – Contemporary/Romance. 4/5

233) Rock Crystal by Adalbert Stifter (Translated by Elizabeth Mayer & Marianne Moore – Classic. 3.5/5

234) A Treasury of African American Christmas Stories edited by Bettye Collier-Thomas – Short Stories. 4/5

235) Lucky Girl: How I Became A Horror Writer: A Krampus Story by M. Rickert – Horror. 3.25/5

236) Dickens and Christmas by Lucinda Hawksley – Biography/History. 4/5

237) Holidays Are Hell by by Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands), Vicki Pettersson, and Marjorie M. Liu – Urban Fantasy/Anthology. 3/5

238) How to Spell Chanukah and Other Holiday Dilemmas edited by Emily Franklin – Essays. 3.25/5

239) The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice edited by Carolyn McVickar Edwards – Folklore. 3.5/5

240) The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin – History. 3.75/5

241) In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides – History. 4/5

242) Carving Out a Living on the Land: Lessons in Resourcefulness and Craft from an Unusual Christmas Tree Farm by Emmet Van Driesche – Nature. 3.5/5

243) Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan – Historical Fiction. 4.25/5

244) Old Christmas by Washington Irving – Classic. 3/5

245) This Year It Will Be Different: And Other Stories by Maeve Binchy – Short Stories. 3.5/5

246) Hark! The Herald Angels Scream edited by Christopher Golden – Horror/Short Stories. 3.5/5

247) Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence – Memoir/Essays. 3.5/5

248) How to Excavate a Heart by Jake Maia Arlow – YA Romance. 4.25/5

249) Amor Actually: A Holiday Romance Anthology edited by Mackenzie Walton – Romance/Short Stories. 4.5/5

250) How to Walk by Thich Nhat Hanh – Philosophy. 4/5

251) Inciting Joy: Essays by Ross Gay – Essays. 5/5

252) Rest Is Resistance: A Manifesto by Tricia Hersey – Health. 5/5

Does anyone do reading challenges? Remember the Amish one I did this year. I belong to a lot of reading groups and I don’t know if I want to commit to something like that again. I felt pressured and it took some of the joy of reading away. Groups are already getting ready for the new year challenges.

Hopefully I will have 3 short novellas done by the end of the year.
My local library puts out a list, and I started one, once, but didn’t finish.

Well thanks to having a lot of leave this month an not doing a whole lot outside of the house I read 38 books in December to finish off the year with 252 books.

215) Whiteout by Dhonielle Clayton , Tiffany D. Jackson , Nic Stone , Angie Thomas , Ashley Woodfolk & Nicola Yoon – YA Contemporary/Romance/Short Stories. 4.25/5

219) Sigh, Gone: A Misfit's Memoir of Great Books, Punk Rock, and the Fight to Fit In by Phuc Tran – Memoir. 4.5/5

222) If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino (Translated by William Weaver) – Classic/Magical Realism. 3.75/5

224) The Indisputable Existence of Santa Claus: The Mathematics of Christmas by Hannah Fry and Thomas Oléron Evans – Mathematics. 3/5

231) The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil by Al Ridenour and Sean Tejaratchi – History. 4/5

232) The Kwanzaa Brunch, A Holiday Novella by D. L. White – Contemporary/Romance. 4/5

233) Rock Crystal by Adalbert Stifter (Translated by Elizabeth Mayer & Marianne Moore – Classic. 3.5/5

234) A Treasury of African American Christmas Stories edited by Bettye Collier-Thomas – Short Stories. 4/5

235) Lucky Girl: How I Became A Horror Writer: A Krampus Story by M. Rickert – Horror. 3.25/5

237) Holidays Are Hell by by Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands), Vicki Pettersson, and Marjorie M. Liu – Urban Fantasy/Anthology. 3/5

238) How to Spell Chanukah and Other Holiday Dilemmas edited by Emily Franklin – Essays. 3.25/5

239) The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice edited by Carolyn McVickar Edwards – Folklore. 3.5/5

241) In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides – History. 4/5

242) Carving Out a Living on the Land: Lessons in Resourcefulness and Craft from an Unusual Christmas Tree Farm by Emmet Van Driesche – Nature. 3.5/5

245) This Year It Will Be Different: And Other Stories by Maeve Binchy – Short Stories. 3.5/5

246) Hark! The Herald Angels Scream edited by Christopher Golden – Horror/Short Stories. 3.5/5

247) Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence – Memoir/Essays. 3.5/5

249) Amor Actually: A Holiday Romance Anthology edited by Mackenzie Walton – Romance/Short Stories. 4.5/5

WOW!
That is amazing.

41/30 - Christmas at Sabal Pines by Terry Overton
Four older women enjoy preparing for Christmas by helping decorate each others trees. They help others in the community and give hope to a man whose wife has died. Faith based.

And that’s a wrap for 2022!!

I am so impressed with your perseverance and persistence to read 252 books in a year. That's almost 4 a week! Wow! #LifeGoals!!

Happy New Year! Just wanted to add my last book of 2022 (I actually read the last chapter on Jan. 1, 2023, but took a long time with this one.

65/60 Becoming by Michelle Obama

I really enjoyed this book, but found it slow to get into. There was so much I did not know about her, and found while reading that I have a lot in common with her. I am impressed with this women, and admire her so much more now then I did before (and I already liked her then!).

Off to join the 2023 reading challenge. Hope to get lots of good recommendations this year!

Missed my goal for the year, but only by a little!

December:

#81/90: A World of Curiosities (Inspector Gamache #18) by Louise Penny (5/5) (mystery)

A young woman and man have returned to Three Pines years after the murder of their mother. It was the case that brought Armand and Jean Guy together, and still haunts them. But what motivates them to return?

When a hidden room is uncovered in Myrna’s loft, it reveals a world of curiosities that has puzzles that warn of mayhem and revenge.

#82/90: Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett #4) by C. J. Box (4/5) (mystery)

A rash of animal mutilations are blamed on a grizzly bear, but Joe isn’t so sure. And when the bodies of two men are found mutilated in the same manner, Joe is sure that a human is responsible.

#83/90: The Postmistress of Paris by Meg Waite Clayton (3/5) (historical fiction)

Nanee is an American heiress living in Paris when WWII breaks out. She joins the resistance and delivers information to help those in hiding.

This is based on a real American heiress named Mary Jayne Gold.

#84/90: The Wonder by Emma Dononghue (3.5/5) (fiction)

Lib Wright is a Florence Nightingale trained nurse sent to Ireland to watch over a miracle child. Anna O’Donnell has survived months without food, living off the manna from heaven and spoonfuls of water…or has she?

This is now a Netflix film.

#85/90: Vanderbilt: The Rise and Fall of an American Dynasty by Anderson Cooper and Katherine Howe (3.5/5) (nonfiction)
Chronicles the rise and fall of a legendary American family.

Some of the chapters were interesting, and others were tedious.

#86/90: When Life Gives You Pears:by Jeannie Gaffigan (4/5) (memoir)

Writer, mother of five, devout Catholic, and wife of comedian Jim Gaffigan chronicles her journey through the discovery of her brain tumor and her recovery.

#87/90: The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley (3.5/5) (suspense)

Jess has left her job and used the last of her resources to travel to Paris and live with her half brother Ben. But when she arrives at his very nice apartment, he is missing. Jess begins to investigate and uncovers more questions than answers. Could one of his neighbors be responsible for Ben disappearance?

#88/90: Daughters of War by Dinah Jefferies (3/5) (historical fiction)

In 1944, three sisters who live in a cottage at the edge of a French village long for the end of the war. But threats from the Nazis and a family secret could tear them apart.

Happy New Year! Just wanted to add my last book of 2022 (I actually read the last chapter on Jan. 1, 2023, but took a long time with this one.

65/60 Becoming by Michelle Obama

I really enjoyed this book, but found it slow to get into. There was so much I did not know about her, and found while reading that I have a lot in common with her. I am impressed with this women, and admire her so much more now then I did before (and I already liked her then!).

Off to join the 2023 reading challenge. Hope to get lots of good recommendations this year!
See you there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter