READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this asked but I couldn't find the answer:

When opening time rolls around, does the "Join Boarding Group" automatically switch from grayed-out to active, or do you have to back out to the front page of the app and go back in? (Or do you have to exit the app entirely?) Just trying to figure out if I need to be constantly going in and out of the RotR page or if I can just keep it there and wait for the boarding group button to become active.
some people have been able to keep it open and it turns gray to red, some people need to exit the app and come back in. It will take you seconds so I wouldn't worry about this

It turned red for me. Also, Back-up Boarding groups just opened. I clicked through to see what would happen and it says I’m not eligible because I’ve already ridden today. So that’s nice that that didn’t change back to letting people ride twice.

It turned red for me. Also, Back-up Boarding groups just opened. I clicked through to see what would happen and it says I’m not eligible because I’ve already ridden today. So that’s nice that that didn’t change back to letting people ride twice.
Did you use DHS wifi or cellular connection?

some people have been able to keep it open and it turns gray to red, some people need to exit the app and come back in. It will take you seconds so I wouldn't worry about this
Fair enough, thanks. Only worrying because a few folks in our group on our DHS day have to head to the airport at noon and I want to get them as early a boarding group as possible.

I just don't like standing in lines. So if going to the right means I can aimlessly mill around Hollywood Blvd 5 minutes longer and stand in line 5 minutes less, then it's good advice to me.

plus, even if it doesn't really help with getting a better VQ (as long as you are scanned in a few minutes before 7am, ready to go) can help you get to the front if you are looking to rope drop MR:SR, SDD, etc.

What time did you get to the park? What time did the boarding group option open on the app? We're arriving tomorrow night and planning on being there early Saturday morning.
Sorry, I had reported al that when I got in, etc. Here’s a quick recap.
Got to the park at 6:02
Tapped in at 6:47
App opened at 7:00, got boarding group 33.
Called at 9:03, in queue at 9:08
Off ride at 9:56.
Worth every bit of research and planning. Absolutely amazing.

Left room at BWV at 605
Arrived at security at 615 and when right through.
In line 2/3 between ticket booth and security.
Tapstyles opened at 630.
Went to the right and was in park by 645.
DD and I both tried to secure BG at 700 and she secured BG 28 (she almost had 22 but accidentally backed out).
BG28 called at 823

Couple thoughts FWIW:
DD used park wifi while I tried to connect using Verizon. I had a strong signal and no signs of lag, but she still beat me to the BG.
I would recommend using the park wifi to connect, but don't stand near a large crowd which could overload specific wireless access points or slow it down. We were on Sunset away from everyone else.

Left room at BWV at 605
Arrived at security at 615 and when right through.
In line 2/3 between ticket booth and security.
Tapstyles opened at 630.
Went to the right and was in park by 645.
DD and I both tried to secure BG at 700 and she secured BG 28 (she almost had 22 but accidentally backed out).
BG28 called at 823

Couple thoughts FWIW:
DD used park wifi while I tried to connect using Verizon. I had a strong signal and no signs of lag, but she still beat me to the BG.
I would recommend using the park wifi to connect, but don't stand near a large crowd which could overload specific wireless access points or slow it down. We were on Sunset away from everyone else.
Great report! Did you watch for the button to turn red or did you reboot the app at 7am?

BTW: Looks like backup VQ distro is still open today (10:13am ET)...

What type of device were you on? iPhone? Android?

Have the Disney World app open and be sure you are logged in while you're outside the park. There will be Rise of the Resistance boarding group information when you open the app, click on the link, select the parties who you want boarding passes for, hit the next button. Once you enter the park refresh the page or go back/forward and you should be able to get a boarding group pass as soon as you enter. Keep in mind you need to have all parties who want to ride with you on your account and in the park before you can add everyone. When I was there waiting to get in the park, I noticed many people didn't know anything about this - they couldn't remember their passwords to log in either and weren't promptly being sent a password resent E-mail. I felt bad for them.

Monday I was there at 5:20 AM waiting in shoulder-to-shoulder crowd which was extremely scary to me and seemed like a fire hazard or disaster waiting to happen. This was not my first attempt and my anxiety made me leave times before, for me, that was very difficult. Disney opened Studios at 6:30 AM, a half hour before park opening at 7 AM. I was able to get a boarding group of 30 as soon as I entered, walked on Tower of Terror and very small wait with a continuously moving queue for Toy Story Mania. My boarding group for RotR was called around 10ish, but had a lot of down time/broke ... etc. I got a free Dasani water. It was a good experience, I enjoyed the virtual queue, but I find it a bit cumbersome for those staying on property being that Disney transportation isn't running early enough for guests to get to Studios at 5 AM to ensure a boarding pass. I'm not so sure if the attraction is worth all that honestly. However, I'm very happy I was sucked into the hype. haha. It was cool.

Last edited:
Why? Does it really matter anymore when you're getting in before the VQ opens?
Discounting the "getting a BG process", arriving early gets you to the front of Hollywood Blvd and the sea of humanity so you can be one of the first to get on SDD or MFSR before it converts to a 60-90 minute wait. Getting to the park an hour before opening was a tried and true strategy before ROTR even opened and will still be the norm for a lot of people.

The argument against this strategy is "what is the difference if I wait an hour in line at SDD or show-up an hour early to DHS and wait an hour for RD...I am still spending an hour of my life waiting?" By getting on and off SDD early you can pretty much walk-on TSMM or AS2 which would not be possible if you exited SDD an hour after park open. That is the philosophy behind getting to the park about an hour before RD. Obviously, you can still have a great day showing up exactly at RD.

Have the Disney World app open and be sure you are logged in while you're outside the park. There will be Rise of the Resistance boarding group information when you open the app, click on the link, select the parties who you want boarding passes for, hit the next button. Once you enter the park refresh the page or go back/forward and you should be able to get a boarding group pass as soon as you enter. Keep in mind you need to have all parties who want to ride with you on your account and in the park before you can add everyone. When I was there waiting to get in the park, I noticed many people didn't know anything about this - they couldn't remember their passwords to log in either and weren't promptly being sent a password resent E-mail. I felt bad for them.

Monday I was there at 5:20 AM waiting in shoulder-to-shoulder crowd which was extremely scary to me and seemed like a fire hazard or disaster waiting to happen. This was not my first attempt and my anxiety made me leave times before, for me, that was very difficult. Disney opened Studios at 6:30 AM, a half hour before park opening at 7 AM. I was able to get a boarding group of 30 as soon as I entered, walked on Tower of Terror and very small wait with a continuously moving queue for Toy Story Mania. My boarding group for RotR was called around 10ish, but had a lot of down time/broke ... etc. I got a free Dasani water. It was a good experience, I enjoyed the virtual queue, but I find it a bit cumbersome for those staying on property being that Disney transportation isn't running early enough for guests to get to Studios at 5 AM to ensure a boarding pass. I'm not so sure if the attraction is worth all that honestly for 3 cool preshows, a Stormtrooper photo op (I'd prefer Boba Fett/Han Solo in carbonite/Jabba the Hutt), and a 3 minute ride that relates to the new movies (I'm an original 3 fan). However, I'm very happy I was sucked into the hype. haha. It was cool.
Thanks for posting -- good report! Note: The VQ isn't opening until official park open now, so the ability to start the process won't be available when entering unless entering after official park open.

There must be something wrong today with the app sensing you in the park. It is willing to let me join a backup boarding group from PA....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter